Brooklyn Sorachi Ace | Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery
New York, United States
brooklynbrewery.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

This is a saison featuring the rare Japanese-developed hop Sorachi Ace. The Sorachi Ace hop varietal is noted for its unique lemon zest/lemongrass aroma.

Added by rtepiak on 07-29-2009

11%

Reviews: 692 | Ratings: 2,779
3.8/5  rDev -7.1%

Shared with me by BA okcomputer, thanks Justin! Poured into goblet. Poured a hazy golden yellow with a medium white head that had OK retention and lacing.

The aroma had a very nice grain base supporting some citrus notes and had a very good yeast spiciness scent as well. On the tongue, the beer featured many of the same attributes. Grain, spice, citrus mostly, with a tang of hops floating around the edges.

The body was very good, full, round, smooth & sharp at the same time, with a nice level of carbonation on the tongue. Drinkabilty was also very good, I would have enjoyed the bottle by myself. Overall, another very good brew from the gang at Brooklyn. Worth seeking out.

4.56/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A - Amazing head with copious lacing and fantastic retention. Opaque honey color.

S - Honey, bready malt, muscado, moss, touch of citrus

T - Delicious. Barny notes, hay, light toast, wheaty yeast, moss, mild sweet citrus. Mild hop bitters round out the finish.

M - Perfect carbonation. Medium light body. Smooth mouthfeel.

D - Deliciously drinkable.

O - A fantastic, crisp take on the saison style.

4.04/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from a 750ml bottle to a mug.

The appearance of this beer was light. Very light.

It had a huge hop/lemon presence (So much so that I was worried there might be *too* much citrus flavor in this one.) in the smell with added weed or fresh cut grass added ever-so-slightly.

I was glad my worries were proven to be for naught. The balance of Sorachi Ace hop and citrus was delightful. I have brewed with Sorachi Ace hops before and, obviously, Brooklyn was able to do so much more with it. This tasted exactly like I hoped my homebrew turned out.

Slight coating, semi-sweet but mostly light and frothy.

I could drink this all day. Such a nice beer - I paired it with Thanksgiving dinner which was a perfect pairing!

3.18/5  rDev -22.2%

a- 750ml corked and caged bottle poured into a snifter, hazy lemon coloring, dense bright white head, great retention.

s- spicy, peppery, lots of lemon, yeast, bright and dry.

t- bitter and lemony, lemon zest, dry, easily the most lemon ridden beer i've ever had.

m- light in the mouth, slight coating.

d- good, missing something here though, didn't hit me as a terrific beer, i'd drink again, but not seek out and buy.

4.12/5  rDev +0.7%

Appears a hazy ligt gold with a small white cap that slowly fades into a chunky head. Scattered lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of pumelo, lemon zest, herbs, cut grass, and shiitake mushrooms.
Taste is of the aromas with a sticky hoppy goodness and a fresh doughy flavor that makes for an intersting spin on a Belgian Pale.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, sticky, semi sweet, and gently herbal in the finish.

3.93/5  rDev -3.9%

A: Extremely pale yellow with tons of bubbles streaming up the glass. Head is a beautiful white color with the consistancy if beaten eggwhites.

S: Wow. This thing is fragrant. Just like they claim. It's allemon grass and lemon zest. Lots of spice and grassiness.

T: Very spicey and fruity. Lots of lemon grass. The Belgian yeast is nice.

M: Lightbodied. Very refreshing and super easy to drink. Tons of carbonation pulls everything together.

Overall: A very interesting take on the saison. Very fruity and refreshing. The drinkability is tremendous.

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

Served in my DFH Pint Glass, reviewed from notes

A-Cloudy Yellow. About an inch of head that leaves behind great lacing while drinking

S-Lemons and Hops

T-Possibly the best tasting lemon flavor I've had. Does not seem artificial at all like other lemon flavored beers. Very sweet as well. Ends with a slight bitter hop finish

M-Very light, carbonated.

D-Very drinkable had the 750mL over the course of Thanksgiving dessert.

EDIT-Accidentally put 4.5 under appearance, changed to the desired 4.

4.24/5  rDev +3.7%

A hazy yellow with a decent white foamy head on it.

Smelled like orange and lemon peel.

The taste is citrus and hops all the way. There's a decent hit of flavor but there is no lingering aftertaste that develops. Its very simple and to the point.

The carbonation is present but doesn't kill. Kind of a citrus prick to the tongue as well.

This beer is good, quite refreshing and simple and I think that's why I like it so much.

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

Beer review #3000

The beer pours a hazy/cloudy gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a dry, earthy pale and wheat malt scent along with a mild hop bitterness and some farmhouse funk. It's light and refreshing with a nice lemony zest. The taste is good. It has a crisp bitterness up front along with a earthy/farmhouse finish. The malt bill provides a stable base with a basic pale malt flavor. It's light and lemony with a dry/clean finish. I'm not getting as much esters in the taste. I'm guessing the hops are canceling a bit of the character out. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low/medium bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a good saison, although I prefer a bit more funk. I especially enjoyed the Sorachi hops. They have a unique character to them that I wouldn't mind trying in another style.

3.6/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Reviewed from notes of 8/6/10

A- Golden yellow borderline amber orange. Decent head with night lace. Strong carbonation.

S-Citrus and a hint of corriander. Nice.

T- Lemon and hops.

M-Immediate carbonation sensation. Effervescent. Finish was not long lasting but pleasureable.

D- A nice Saison style that I would recommend to anyone. Yet, because it was from a brewer I respect, it left me looking/wanting something more complex.

4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

750ml bottle poured into my mug(only thing I had at the time)

Appearance is a light yellow with a bit of light orange. Good two and and a half inch white fizzy head with great head retention. Good amounts of lacing is left behind.

Surprisingly this smells a bit more like a Belgian Pale Ale to me. I get a decent lemon citrus smell with some orange coriander and a bit of grass/earthy herbal smell. Some yeast and bit of hay like smell as well.

Taste upfront is very crisp with a lemon citrus taste with a bit of orange coriander backing it up. Midway a bit of a grass/herbal taste shows up with some yeast and cracker like taste finishing it off.

Medium bodied with high carbonation. Very crisp and clean taste that is refreshing and drinks mellow for a Saison.

I thought this was a bit non-traditional like Saison flavor, yet I liked what they did. Overall I would drink this again and recommend it.

4.57/5  rDev +11.7%

As I have often noted, Saisons are my favorite style, but I find most American saisons too far off the mark. Brooklyn brewing's Sorachi Ace, named for the hop that is prominent in the flavor and aroma profile of this beer, is a welcome exception. Okay, a big initial hit of lemongrass hops is not "normal" for a Saison. That said, Brooklyn's S-A hits the mark in spirit, for sure.

Sorachi Ace (tasted from a cork-finished 750) pours beautifully light and gently hazy, pushing up a solid inch and a half of light foam that lingers for a while. with that foam comes a generous nose full of lemon curd, herbs, fresh-mown grass--all delicate but definite. Not in-your-face, but certainly up your nose!

The flavor is light, sweet-pilsen-malt backed by a modestly bitter spine that is fresh and refreshing. Body is light to medium. The mouth fills with soft, meringue-like volume that eases off to a semi-dry, very clean finish. A nice touch of yeast spiciness is there throughout the tasting, making the sweet malt and the tangy fruit blend wonderfully.

This is really a very beautiful beer. Drinkable, reasonably alcoholic, delicious, refreshing, and truly unique. Perhaps not spot-on so far as BJCP guidelines go, but certainly true to the spirit of a thirst-quenching, nourishing, complex and very drinkable saison.

Well done, Brooklyn!

4.28/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a cloudy dark straw, with a strong frothy head that billows over the top of the glass.
Smells of nice mild hops, that are extremely appetizing.
Taste is citrusy, but also has a good amount of alcohol bite.
The bite is not overwhelming, and the taste from the sugars is so well balanced by the hops.
This is a fantastic saison, and I would recommend it to anyone!

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

Before he visited me, I told me good friend and fellow beer connoisseur Frank that I had never tried anything from Brookleyn Brewery and, since he was in NY, if he could get something, I would be most appreciative. He grabbed Sorachi, primarily because he liked the name, and we split this one fine evening.

A hazy orange-gold body with a thick finger of white foam; nice lacing despite modest duration in the Ommegang glass. Good, fruity aromas, plenty of citrus (grapefruit, orange peel, some lemon) with pepper and clove, and some tell-tale farmhouse funk; good smell, no doubt.

The taste is very impressive--very spicy and fruity, blended very well, and light on the palate. After a hearty meal, this was a nice, light accompaniment that was most welcome; very flavorful. Light on the palate, and creamy smooth, Sorachi is a delight, easy-going on an unusually warm Fall day.

I am just thrilled that my first foray into Brooklyn's wares proved so fruitful, pardon the pun. Delicious, delicate, and accessible, I'd be remiss if I passed on the chance to enjoy Sorachi--or anything--from Brooklyn again.

Very good, and certainly recommended.

3.66/5  rDev -10.5%

A - Very light yellow and very hazy with a moderate head, noticeable lacing all the way down.

S - A very mild and somewhat underwhelming aroma of grass with a little bit of a zip from the hops coming in at the end.

T - More or less just like the smell. The hops are a little more present in the flavor than in the smell, but not too much.

M - Very light. I want to say watery, but don't take that in a negative way, it nicely matches the flavor.

D - Very easy and refreshing to drink. Just like a saison should be.

Notes - A good, but not great, saison. It doesn't live up to its greatest potential (or the hype my friend provided), but it's a pleasant drink while it lasts.

4.67/5  rDev +14.2%

From a 750 ml brown magnum, caged and corked. Pours out a cloudy yet very bright deep straw/light apricot hue, massive tight rocky white head with excellent retention.

Wow, incredibly clean and straight-forward aroma for this style--crisp clean lemon zest, mandarin and tangerine, even some dry lime, dry grains and some dry spicy and grassy hops. Dry, clean yeast becomes apparent as it warms.

The flavour is incredibly clean for the style as well, another wow. I'm not giving it a full 5 in this category because it's still lacking at least a hint of funk or sharpness (making it seem more like a Tripel or Strong Pale), but the clean balance otherwise must be commended. Clean grainy wheat up front blended with lemon zest, light citrus fruits throughout the middle along with mild spice, light leafy and dry spicy hops on the finish. Nice dry aftertaste of hops, yeast and citrus lingers briefly.

Medium-light mouthfeel, slippery slick texture, with moderate carbonation.

This stuff is awesome. Saison or personal interpretation of a Saison this is a total winner for me, worth every penny (as expensive as it is), and sadly for my wallet I'm going back for more to stock up. This is the bottle I'm bring to every dinner party I attend while it's still available, and it's now my go-to for New Years as well. An all around enjoyable beer that needs to be experienced, and very accessible for those not familiar with the style.

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Got a bottle of this courtesy of a generous BA (millah- thanks man!) Poured into Darkness goblet.

A: pours a translucent hazy yellow/ orange. Dense white head with considerable lacing and good retention.

S: the front features some funky farmhouse notes along with notes of grass and a huge lemon character. The citrus melds nicely with the funky saison character.

T: the front of the palate features some fruity sweetness, cereal grains, followed by big notes of lemon zest, slightly tart. The Sorachi Ace lends a very unique hop profile which works well with the style.

MF: thin body, high carbonation, effervescent

D: this is a nice refreshing Saison, it almost reminds me of a Berliner Weisse with it's acidity and refreshing qualities. Very nice.

I've been looking for a Sorachi Ace focused brew since I bought a bunch of them not too long ago. I've been afraid of brewing without knowing what they taste like, that is, until now...

Pale yellow the color of, dare I say, a miller lite and perhaps even a bit paler if that is possible. Not uncommon for the style, however, and also not uncommon is the whirlwind of carbonation emanating from the bottom of the glass. Big head on this one of whispy white foam. Now that I look at it in the light I get embellishments of orange in the color.

Spicy aroma with hints of lemon zest, Lysol, some fresh citrus and some pale malt aroma. Yeast seems pretty neutral for a Belgian strain, though this is a Saison strain so I could see that as super clean. No discernibly pungent esters or phenols.

Tastes like it smells. It tastes like cleaning products smell ( I wouldn't know if they taste the same and I hope neither do you!) and while I could get tired of it, I don't find it altogether unpleasant. A little mellowness, like a mild vanilla, accompanies the lemon-like soapy flavor.

Light and bubbly like most saisons I've had with a little dryness in the finish.

Tastes kinda like hobo sparkling lemonade, the kind you make in restaurants when you ask for lemon wedges and plain soda water and make the best of them. An interesting hop, this Sorachi Ace, and balanced against one of the Cs or equally bright hop, especially Amarillo, I could see this hop catching on quickly.

3.43/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

On tap at The Brickskeller. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a light straw lemon color with some haze. Good white head. Nose is lemon, grass, and a bit of earth. The taste brings out lemon, grass, some herbs, and a hint of earth. Bitter and dry. Drinks well.

4.23/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a light gold color with haze. White head forms up quickly and has great retention and lacing in my Brooklyn tulip.

Aroma is of wet leaves and hops with a touch of saison yeast fruitiness. The hops add a grass, basil, and lemon grass character. I'm not getting a ton of lemon or lemon cleaner aromas as suggested, but that may be because of the age.

Up front on the palate is a crackery malt flavor that shifts into a snappy, dry finish of hops and peppery yeast. There is a great hop flavor all the way through, with grass, leaf, and spice notes. Mouthfeel is light, bubbly and refreshing. I could easily go for more of this. I wish the price was a little lower, but if they make another fresh batch of this, I'll probably splurge.

3.24/5  rDev -20.8%

Bottle purchased in July in Niagara Falls, NY.

Pours slightly cloudy, pale straw yellow. Nice white head that retains, though only laces lightly. Lots of spice on the nose though accompanied by an off-putting aroma of vegetal that is quite clearly cauliflower. This is not what I'm looking for in a beer. A bit of faux-lemon in the crisp and dry body of the beer. Once again it isn't sitting well for me for what I want in a beer. The body though does have a nice black pepper taste to it... Dry and perfect mouthfeel with crisp carbonation, though the oddity of the aroma and taste knock this one right down...

4.26/5  rDev +4.2%

A steady pour into my large Tripel Karmeliet tulip produces a voluminous, four-finger thick, pale tan colored head. The head has a ton of staying power, lots of lacing is left on the sides of my glass and the head forms a variegated, interesting surface as it slowly subsides. The beer is a hazy, straw / light gold hue that shows flashes of bright yellow when held up to the light. The aroma smells strongly of the hop influence; bright fruit notes of juicy-fruit gum, huge notes of freshly zested lemon peel, lemon pepper, a touch of basil and more of a herbaceous grassy note towards the finish serve as the initial focus. Dried hay and pale cracker like malt character serves as a very subtle backdrop to the hop character up front and becomes a touch more noticeable once you really start to spend a focused session of smelling the beer; the malt can never shake the hop character though and even in the finish is a bright citrus note that makes me think of lemon scented furniture cleaner. While the beer seems dry compared to an IPA, I can't really pinpoint any interesting yeast contributed aromatics in this beer; the nose is nice but I feel like I am missing out on some rustic yeast influence.

This is effervescent to say the least, the beer foams up quite well as it crosses the tongue, though it is not too highly carbonated. The beer feels very dry on the palate, though some of the fruity citrus notes contribute a perception of sweetness even if the malt character is quite dry. Cracker like grain notes and a touch of dried straw are joined by a malt roundness in the middle that is almost sweetness, but really just a malt fullness to the palate that keeps this from being overly thin. This has a very firm bitterness to it from the beginning of each sip (much of this is influenced by the peppery carbonation) and this remains through to the finish all the while being accentuated by the carbonic bite. The juicy hop character contributes notes of Meyer lemon, lightly sweetened lemon zest, a touch of floral tropical fruit character and some menthol notes that numb the tongue a bit. After shaking / swirling the beer to expel some of the carbonation the beer gets softer, with more of a fullness to the body (though still light and quaffable) and my first sip has me noticing some warming alcohol (though this seems to dissipate quickly). The hop character definitely has a certain furniture cleaner quality to it, while I wouldn't characterize it as bad; it might get to be a little much for me if I was drinking this over a long session. Perhaps some rustic phenolic character from the yeast helps to accentuate this character; in fact, after further reflection, I think that some clove and other phenolic notes from the yeast do in fact accentuate this character here. As the beer warms it picks up a touch of a medicinal character in the finish as well as getting spicy with peppery notes, a touch of spicy ginger and even a something a bit like a sage-like note 9this last being influenced by both the hops and the yeast character).

A nice hop focused Saison, which with time will likely become more noticeably fermentation driven; this is more due to the hop character fading, than the yeast character actually becoming greater over time though. I admit that I like this beer so much because I am a sucker for hoppy Saisons; in all honesty this could certainly use a touch more of a characterful yeast / fermentation influence, even though this is certainly in evidence here.

4.28/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from the 750 ml bottle that I got directly from my visit to the brewery back in july 2010. It cost only 10 bucks which is fair to say that is a reasonable price compared to what you see in liquor stores here in the DC area.

This beer pours a gorgeous hazy dark yellow color with a fluffy white head that persists well during the drinking process. You can see the tiny bubbles coming out of the glass and it reminds me a lot of champagne.

The smell is pretty strong and it starts heavily with lemon/orange citrus notes from the Sorachi Ace hops. I also get a spicy/fruity character from the yeast.

Flavor starts out kinda sweet and malty but it soon becomes very citrussy again with lemon/orange predominance. Spicy notes come in in the end. Not much bitter aftertaste going on.

The body is medium to light, with a dry finish and extremely high carbonation making this a highly drinkable saison.

This beer reminded me a little bit of the Deus Brutt the Flandres, one of the most famous Champenoise beers, and that is a good thing.
Since the Saison / Farmhouse ale style is so open to interpretation I think Garret Oliver and the folks at Brooklyn did an amazing job here.

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

Thanks to mjn5036 for hooking me up with this one. It wasn't on my wants list but I really thought it was.

Looks like opaque guava nectar in the glass. A good sizable white head recedes to a full cap that never disappears. Spotty lacing looks pretty good.

Smells very hoppy for a saison. Sweet tropical fruits and lemon zest make this a unique one for sure.

Very low on the funk factor, this bad boy is high on the grapefruit. Low malts make this crisp and refreshing.

Low soft carbonation, thin body, and clean finish are all great!

I would definitely drink this one again. Its not typical of the style, but highly enjoyable none the less. Highly recommended.

4.82/5  rDev +17.8%

Brooklyn Sorachi Ace

Appearance: Amber-yellow with a huge pillowy head and some lacing.

Smell: Yeast, hops, slight spice, and citrus.

Taste: Hops, slight yeast, subtle citrus, and malts.

Mouthfeel: Almost malty, yet smooth and medium bodied.

Overall:
This is a MUST TRY saison! It is a very well balanced beer with delicious hops.

Brooklyn Sorachi Ace from Brooklyn Brewery