Brooklyn Oktoberfest Beer | Brooklyn Brewery

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-30-2001

Reviews: 770 | Ratings: 1,697

The Oktoberfest/Marzen is my favorite beer type and out of all the Oktoberfests I've tried (damn near all of them) this is my favorite. It just puts Paulaner, Sam Adams, Spaten, Bitburger, Erdinger, Warsteiner, Franziskaner, Magic Hat, Leinenhugels and Becks to shame. Shiner, Harpoon, and Weihenstephaner are good alternatives when Brooklyn can't be found.

A- Deep golden amber, almost reddish/orange. The foam is off-white creamy like gruyere or real butter.

S- Toasted oats, light caramel, soft candied fruit

T- It just tastes like the beer I've been searching for. It is not too dark in flavor like more toasted octoberfests, and it is not wimpy-weak straw tasting like a pale ale or lager.

M- There is no overwhelming bitterness, not too sweet or yeasty

O- Very drinkable, luckily the gas station near my house seems to stock up on them and I can still find them in the spring or summer!

4.92/5  rDev +33.3%

Pours light brown with a nice bone white head.

Smell is a nice intermingling of noble hops toasty malts.

Exceptionally clean, with notes of caramel and subtle spicy hoppiness. Leaves a nice bready toastiness aftertaste.

Very nice oktoberfest, clean, extremely flavorful and extraordinarily drinkable.

4.76/5  rDev +29%

Pours a dark copper color with a lace of head. Carbonation is minimal on this one. I can barely see any bubbles. Smells of scotch and roasted malts. Goes down smooth with a hint of hops in the aftertaste and more carbonation than it seems initially. The is probably the best oktoberfest I've had and if there more bubbles I could see myself giving this all 5's.

4.7/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great light orange color. Terrific head, full, creamy, and long lasting. Malty presentation to the nose. Very flavorful, malt and hoppy bitterness accompanied by a mild caramel prescence. Medium bodied character is a treat for the palate.

If there was a beer parade, this one could be in the running for Grand Marshal. My favorite Oktoberfest this year.

4.7/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled at 2003 AOBF:Stammtisch

Pours with a dark copper body and a very thin white head with little lace or froth. Very pleasant floral hops with plenty of maltiness balancing it out. The taste was excellent, with a nice toasted malt accompanied with a pleasant bitterness from the hops, leaving a nice mild bitter finish. Despite the hops, it's still a light beer with little dryness. The result is a delicious drinable oktoberfest beer, one of the best I've had in a while. I must seek out more of Brooklyn's brews...

4.63/5  rDev +25.5%

I love any October fest beer. Brooklyn beer has a keeper here, I just wish they would make a new label and match it to the other beers.

Pours a nice amber color, some lacing in the glass.
Aroma is caramel and some hops.
Taste is little sweet and slight taste of hops.
Mouth feel is sweet
Nice beer, I look forward for October to drink beer.

4.55/5  rDev +23.3%

A: Pours a clear orange with a dark khaki colored head that is very small and disappears quickly. Did leave some lacing on the bottle but not much

S: Bready, grainy malts with some spices. Some smell of hops

T: Very sweet and buttery when it first hits your tastebuds, but then evolves into a bready, yeasty taste.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation

D: Very drinkable and evolves throughout the tastebuds so drinking more than one to decipher evolution is recommended.

4.55/5  rDev +23.3%

Brooklyn Oktoberfest Beer
Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest
ABV: 5.50 %

Had this on my Oktoberfest brew day as inspiration, and it exceed my expectations.

Appearnace had and awesome 3 finger fluffy head, with good lace, retention and a nice copper color.
Smelled like a munich malt bomb like a good brew day should!
Taste was an excellent malty bold but smooth malty sweetness, hops supported quietly, a wee bit watery on finish.
Mouthfeel was medium-thin body, medium carbonation.
An awesome rep of a Ofest. I was very impressed! Exceeded my expectations. Cheer to Mr. Oliver!

4.5/5  rDev +22%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Appearance: Lively and slightly cloudy amber orange with lots of rising bubbles. Huge off white head that gives a good six fingers and good retention. Lots of sticky lacing.

Smell: Strong aroma of bready caramel and toasty malts. Some wheat grains and hints of toffee. Light hints of citrus fruit. Solid presence of mildly spicy grassy hops. Very bready and sweet aroma.

Taste: Sweet and bready caramel malts up front with some toffee and grains. In the middle there is a fairly strong taste of roasted nuts and orange and cherry fruit. Hints of spicy hops in the finish. Very roasty and fairly complex.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with a moderate amount of carbonation. Chewy, creamy, and very smooth.

Overall: A very interesting and tasty take on a Marzen. More roasted and fruity than a typical Oktoberfest. Sort of like a cross between a Marzen and brown ale.

4.5/5  rDev +22%

A deep amber color with a eighth of an inch off white head. Strong malt aroma, sweet in its fragrance and strong in its presence. That strong maltiness is there in the flavor, with touch of hop bitterness at the end. Medium bodied, slightly crisp, leaves the palate very clean. Immensely drinkable, very smooth going, an excellent marzen style beer.

4.5/5  rDev +22%

(2014) Oh, this was a great one... possibly my favourite Marzen of all time. It's very roasty-malty, and I fell in love with the colour on the pour, much less the taste that hit my palate.

Best American Okie I've ever had.

4.5/5  rDev +22%

Reviewed from old notes. 12oz bottle poured into a seidel.

A: Pours a deep orange with brown hues, the color of fall. An aggressive pour yields a huge off-white head that settles into a very respectable two-inch crown. Great retention. Clumps of lacing glue themselves to the glass.

S: Very rich and malty, rife with hearty scents of bread, grain, and notes of toffee and caramel. Slight metallic edge. maybe a touch of earthy, nutty yeast. Hop smells are grassy and hay-like.

T: Bready malt tastes at the outset turn sweet and caramel-like, then grainy. Toasted malt tastes of bread crust creep in toward the end of the malt onslaught. Hop tastes of grass and hay provide balance. Quick flare of earthy/spicy hop tastes and a flash of citrus elaborate. Nutty earthiness now seems like more of a malt nuance than a yeast contribution. Finishes with tastes of grain, bread crust, and grass.

M: Medium bodied, a touch buttery, a bit chewy. On the thicker end of today's oktoberfest spectrum, yet it still remains quaffable.

O: An oktoberfest worthy of much praise. Layers of malt complexity. Excellent.

Notes: This has consistently been my favorite oktoberfest beer over the last few years. Far from just another token seasonal; it's a very true to style offering that sets itself apart with a deep, rich maltiness that is rarely seen these days. Not at all watery or bland, as is the recent trend in the style, nor is it a bastardized American gimmick of a beer as so many tend to be.

4.5/5  rDev +22%

Fresh bottle pours a lovely and brilliantly clear orange russet color with a fluffy off-white 1" head. Visible carbonation dances upward at a gleeful pace. Great lacing.

After a few brisk swirls of my 8 oz. trumpet shaped tasting glass, a soft & sweet aroma of sweet pale malts with just a touch of charming toastiness - almost reminiscent of golden crowned marshmallows on the skewer over a fire. Almonds & vanilla are also present.

Clean and blossoming fresh flavors of crisp toasty malts with a sweet undercurrent of flavors aforementioned in the 'smell' category. Everything follows suite very nicely from what I gathered in the aromas. This smooth lager is well balanced with sweet, toasty and crisp malts - not at all cloying. There's a well-placed dry hop texture that is apparent in the finish, wrapping things up elegantly.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and the carbonation is just perfect.

Drinkability is also exceptional. I could drink a few consecutive 1/2 liter dimpled mugs of this without hesitation.

Overall a scrumptious and flavorful hearty Oktoberfest lager. Definitely not shy bringing flavor and dimension to the table. I wonder if the Spaten's and Hoffbrau's used to be like this 20-30 years ago? Anyway, thanks Brooklyn for a tremendously delicious lager that will definitely have a place in my fridge every September.

4.48/5  rDev +21.4%

Pours a beautiful, clear, copper/amber color with a great creamy tan head that last as it rings the glass all the way down. Sweet and toasty malt dominates the aroma and makes the mouth water. The taste starts off with a smooth toasty malt that turns a bit sweeter as the brew finishes rather creamy. There are just enough earthy hops thrown in to keep the malt in balance. This is one excellently smooth medium bodied brew that makes for maximum drinkability. Definitely my favorite Oktoberfest of the year, this would make for some great drinking while eating brats and big-ass pretzels. I can only imagine how excellent it would be on draught.

4.47/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A group of local imbibers held the #PumpkinChallenge2016 recently, wrapping up on M, 03 Oktober 2016. I then proposed the #OktoberfestChallenge2016 & while I do not know how many participants there are, I am hitting it full bore. Today will be my New OktoBierFest Sunday (Week TBD) with an opportunity to do a horizontal tasting.

From the bottle: "Please enjoy Brooklyn Oktoberfest, a rich, malty version of the lager brewed for the fall festival which originated in Germany with the betrothal of the Crown Prince of Bavaria in 1810. Brooklyn Oktoberfest is in the märzen style, an amber lager brewed in March and stored cold through the summer for sale in autumn. Prost!"

As a plankowner (commissioning crew) of the USS Normandy (CG-60), I was so elated to open the Staten Island Naval Shipyard in October 1990! We were the first ship to be homeported in NYC since the end of WWII & the first ship since WWII to have its maiden deployment be in time of war (we left on 26 Dec 1990 as a part of Desert Shield and shortly after the beginning of the year, we were in Desert Storm). I was especially heartened by the relatively new Brooklyn Brewery which was making inroads with its Brooklyn Lager. I have visited the brewery many times and I always relish the opportunity to review one of the beers.

You gotta Pop! the cap in Brooklyn & I would have it no other way. You gotta go aggro or go home so I complied with that standing, unspoken dictum. I sat back and watched as three fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, tawny head formed and then stood there, glaring at me, daring me to ask it to sit down. I used to love visiting Brooklyn whenever possible and I still recommend The Brazen Head on Atlantic Avenue or Mugs' Ale House. Bring the attitude! Color was Coppery-Brown (SRM = > 17, < 22) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a grassy, bready smell, not too sweet, but not too dry, either. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, but as I realized with an earlier Märzen, a bigger mouthfeel may also mean greater sweetness. The taste was very bready, that smell when you have your fingers in the dough, kneading it and the yeast is just starting to kick in, causing the dough to rise while PapPap is in the upper lot, running the lawn mower and life is good during the summer as a kid. Is this what nostalgia tastes like? I don't know, but I loved to go out to my maternal grandparent's house as a kid, especially during the summer. I learned to cook from Grummy and this was very evocative of fresh bread. The finish was semi-dry, very bready with a light grassiness that seemed to linger after the swallow. This may not be your ideal, but for me, I have found Baby Bear's Oktoberfest! Prosit!

4.46/5  rDev +20.9%

I always enjoy Brooklyn Beers but I was surprised how much I enjoyed their Oktoberfest.
Easily, my favorite Oktoberfest this season.
I will be buying more of this before the Fall is over.

4.45/5  rDev +20.6%

First of the season, I am excited to have this back in stores again.

Appearance- A malty ruby color, with a creamy head that is a light tan almost.

Smell- a light smell of alcohol, a very pleasant medium malt aroma, just a hint of a darker malt, with just a touch of earthiness. accented with lovely fruit notes. Finally a very light and subtle hint of lager yeast.

Taste- The best part of this beer. You could not ask more from a lager. It carries hints of almost a chocolate malt, with an amazingly rich fruitiness. A heavenly blend of mixed malt, and just a trace of hop taste. The lager yeast is detectable and really adds to its coziness.

Drinkability- Well I just opened up my first for the night, it's at the perfect temperature, I got it out before it cooled too long and had to sit before it was fit for tasting. I am going to drink this all night, and I could all fall with only a few pumpkin brews in between. This is my favorite beer among them all. There are those that are more graceful, and those with more flavor but this is the beer that I always come to remember when thinking of beer I wish I could have that I know is not available during the spring and summer. Thank you Brooklyn, you have won me over.

4.45/5  rDev +20.6%

Orange-amber color with a tight creamy head that leaves some lace. Crisp toasted grain aroma with floral hops. Toasted flavor upfront with some sweetness, bread, and a touch of fruit and spice. Hops come in to balance and leave some bitterness. Medium in body, smooth and creamy. Excellent drinkability. A top notch Oktoberfest in my book.

4.42/5  rDev +19.8%

Brooklyn Oktoberfest pours a clear orange/amber with a nice fluffy off-white head and lots of bubbles coming from the bottom. Lots of sweet caramelly malt on the nose with hints of spicy hops.

The taste is very nice, with lots of caramel and breadiness. A nice burst of spicy hop flavor shows up about mid swallow. The beer has a quick, dry finish to it. The mouthfeel is nicely in the middle, with high carbonation.

Overall, this may be my favorite Oktoberfest I've tried.

4.42/5  rDev +19.8%

Eye Candy: Poured a good 2 finger head with plenty of carbonation rising, "pillowy" at the top. Deeper color than an American Amber, resembles a Red. More dark than light, closer to brown than red. Real pretty.

The Nose Knows: Very sweet from the toasted malts. Minimal hops present. Roasty, toasty. Complex in form, as it warms the real character of the malts emerge. Somehow reminds me of roasting chesnuts, even though I never have. Perfect offering.

Tongeland: Again, roasty, toasty. The character lingers on the tongue, making Mr. Tongue a very happy camper.

Bender Factor: Brooklyn has not impressed me so far. This Oktoberfest has redeemed their brewery. Their merely average Pale Ale and subpar Brown stick out to me. I plan to pick up some more of this (only bought one out of hesitation) before the "season" ends. A highly drinkable "session" brew, goes good with Chemistry and Calculus.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours a wonderful ruby hue with a nice white cap that clings down glass.

Nice fruity yeasty aroma with a caramel sweetness that leads to a hint of nuttiness and a nice mild hop grassy herbal quality.

The flavor follows the nose with a nice caramel sweetness nutty fruity goodness that has an even hoppy herbal minty quality.

This brew is nice and thick, medium full body that sticks to my tongue in a good way. Mongo likey for sure.

These cats do good.

4.41/5  rDev +19.5%

First Oktoberfest of the season. I figured I would start with the local.

A-Beautiful light brown hue with a three finger creamy/soapy head. Vast staying power, great lacing. Beautiful.

S-Lightly toasted bready with a hint of acidity and grassy hops

T-Toasted bready malt with hints of biscuits. Grassy hops in the followthrough. Very crisp, mostly dry with a hint of sweetness. Very refreshing.

M-Slightly on the light side with a medium soft carbonation. The head adds to the experience.

D-This is perhaps my favourite oktoberfest. Especially good when fresh which it is now. Glad I have a sixer of this in the fridge.

Good, good, good!

Redish gold color with a thick 3 finger tan head, a beautiful beer. The head leaves lacing on the glass as it dissipates to tan swirls on the surface. Smell is pleasant but I'm not picking out anything in particular 'cause I'm a little congested. Carbonation is perfect, alcohol slightly apparent (which is good, IMHO), and mouth feel is overall quite smooth. Taste is that of a typical good Oktoberfest, a little hoppy, medium roasted malt, and I get a little fruitiness in there too, maybe apricotish, but only because I'm searching for something. Very drinkable.

4.4/5  rDev +19.2%

What an exceptional Oktoberfest.

Begins with nice malt notes. It then picks up a nice, but not overpowering, hop presence. Very balanced.

I don't usually like to get a 6-pack of any one particular beer, but this is definitely an exception. Now, on to try other Oktoberfests.

4.4/5  rDev +19.2%

Rich ruby-orange and a sticky lace for a head. The aroma is malty and gives off hints of roasted malts. Medium body with a chewy maltiness in the body. Semi-sweet malts up front and roasted malts. Has a hint of caramel. The hop's bitterness are just enough to keep the malts from dominating the beer. A great drinkability. I can have one after the other with out even thinking. This is a very impressive Oktoberfest!

Brooklyn Oktoberfest Beer from Brooklyn Brewery