Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Brooklyn Oktoberfest | Brooklyn Brewery

Availability: Fall

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-30-2001

Ratings: 1,744 |  Reviews: 787

2.77/5  rDev -23.9%

This is a boring oktoberfestbier from Brooklyn, and trust me, I love Brooklyn Brewery.

Not a very pretty bottle and the large white head just disappears after a few minutes.

Smells average of caramel and some malts.

Taste is pretty similar to the smell but there are some nice tones och fruits and a light bitterness.

Dissapointed? Yes.

2.77/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12 ounce bottle in to a tulip.

a: Flat brown body with a 2 finger beige head that dissipated immediately.

s: Faint malts. Cider.

t: Not malty enough for the style. It has an apple raisin taste. Metallic finish. Thankfully no after taste.

mf: Thin and watery. A bit of sourness on the finish.

o: Glad I pulled this out of the 6pk and bought it as a single.

2.78/5  rDev -23.6%

Appearance: Poured in a Brooklyn tulip, Amber in color, A small amount of head that dissipates quickly, some lacing, some carbonation rising to the surface here and then.

Smell: left something to be desired, just smelled like a maltier version of their lager with a little bit of sweeter malts that I cant really place.

taste: honestly it just tasted like their lager which is understandable but with some very subtle differences. there was an odd sweetness that can only be described as candy neckless or some other nondescript hard candy.

Mouthfeel: Again nothing special just like their lager.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. It would be nice to have on hand when the boys come over for football if you wanna throw a sixer or more back in a three hour sitting that no one would turn their nose up at.

Over all very bland granted it was my first of the style, but I just expected more. more malt, more something. not the rare fall treat I was expecting like I got from the pumpkin ales I've had. Maybe I should stick to those. I will of coarse try more marzens for safe measure. Its a good beer that would be a good stand by case of garage suds, or a fall keg that everyone can agree on but nothing to write home about.

2.8/5  rDev -23.1%

2.8/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.83/5  rDev -22.3%

Clear orange color. No head , no laceing. Has a malty, in a grainy way, with lite fruitiness smell. Malty taste, a regular kind of carmel toasted malt I associate with style. A little creamy& bitterness that faded quickly. Weak overall as far as I see it.

2.85/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.25

2.86/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

L - orangish-amber, pale not dark.
S - Mild, more amlty than hoppy.
T - o,k, a little nutty, piney and hint of caramel. .
F - a little bite and both sip and swallow stages.
O - average beer

2.87/5  rDev -21.2%

Original Rating Date:
September 7, 2008

Slight malty aroma. Pours deep bronze with a huge, fluffy head that leaves a solid lacing down the glass. Looks lively, carbonated. Taste is malty, not as much bready yeastiness as some of the German counterparts, some sweet caramel there. A little bit too carbonated, aside from that the palate is adequate. Good marzen, but there are better out there.

2.87/5  rDev -21.2%

A: Nice color brownish beer bottle with hardly any head retention at all, lots of bubbles rising to give the nose what it needs hopefully.

S: Smells nice and fresh with sweet malts with very little hops at all.

T: Sweet malty and some spicey flavors maybe from the hops, light floral tasting.

M: Nice and refreshing, medium/full bodied with a bitey aftertaste of slightly alkylyn tastes.

D: Yes, drinkable but it did throw me for a loop I normally would expect a fuller taste from the guys at Brooklyn. Not the best Oktoberfest maybe but a good runner .

2.88/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I love this time of year and I seek out as many Octoberfest and Pumpkin flavors as possible here in my little part of Carolina. This year I found some hits and some misses, Cottonwood pumpkin and Shipyard pumpkinnhead were delish, and then I came upon the Brooklyn Oktoberfest, all in all its an okay beer. I was a little disappointed in what seemed to be a lack of Octoberfest Flavoring in this beer. I would walk past this beverage in search of others...

2.88/5  rDev -20.9%

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A – Pours a coppery amber with a half finger of off white head that recedes quickly. Spotty lacing.

S – Sweet malts. Slight roast.

T - Light sweetness. Light bitterness. A bit of a roasted malt taste. Hard hoppy flavor at the end.

M – Medium mouthfeel with lively carbonation.

O – Was looking forward to this but there is something in the taste I did not enjoy. It’s a very harsh flavor.

2.9/5  rDev -20.3%

Second of the Octoberfest beers I am trying.

Pretty good, but not particularly special. I like the label--simple, nice. Didn't poor, so basing appearance on that. Simple spell, somewhat spicy, maybe a little malty... Hard to place. Tasted okay. A bit too bitter, but good. Mouthfeel--nothing great. Bites some, but gets better. Maybe a little soft. I wouldn't drink this if I didn't have 5 more waiting for me.

2.9/5  rDev -20.3%

Live Review. Poured from the 12 ounce brown bottle that I bought as a single from Save-On Tobacco & Beverage in Mentor, Ohio for $1.34 into my Cooperstown Beverage Trail pint glass. "Best before Feb 2011" printed on the right side of the label so it looks as if it is fresh!

A Pretty basic look of a very light brown creamy head that is short lived...it dissipates within a minute down to a thin line over the translucent copper body. 3.0

S Light grain malt and nearly no hops smelled. Again, this is pretty basic for the style. 3.0

T The basic grain malt taste is really just about average for the style in my opinion. There is very little hops presence here but the light malt is like the definition of a Marzen or Fest Beer. 3.0

M Light and actually a bit on the watery side. It is close to average but I recall the feel of both Sam Adams Oktoberfest and Great Lakes Octoberfest to be superior. For that reason I am not impressed. 2.0

D It is a hallmark of the style to be very drinkable but this one is so boring I would probably only have the one and then look for one that provides much more interest, say the SA or Great Lakes or even a classic like the Spaten Oktoberfest. 3.0

Notes: Dissapointed in this one.

2.91/5  rDev -20.1%

had this from a 12-oz bottle...

A: Pours the typical amber color of a fest bier, not quite as dark as others, but in concert with the style. A decent foam head that stays around for a few minutes, then dissipates. Minimal lacing.
S: pretty bland to me. Malty, but not much else.
T: A decent fest bier taste. No real sweetness present as with other fest biers; maltiness, mild acid, taste disappears pretty quick, thin in flavor.
M: Follows the taste, nothing exciting here.
D: Easy to drink as it is not too excting, but not repugnant either. Very tolerable, could have a few of these.

Overall, a typcial American Oktoberfest--nothing too exciting and in no way a threat to the German Fest biers. Have a couple if you want a typical US fest bier...Prosit.

2.91/5  rDev -20.1%

A: Copper in color. Poured with a good head. Clear
S: Malty with slight biscuit
T: Initial round taste that quickly disappated and finished with a mildly bitter aftertaste. Not as malty as I'd expect
M: Coating, good
D: Just didn't do it for me. Can't put my finger on it

I prefer Paulner's version this year.

2.95/5  rDev -19%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into lager glass.
Appearance was dark amber, almost like organic Apple juice. Carbonation bubbles were present and visible. 1 1/2 finger head that lasted for the better part of four minutes.

The aroma was of a typical Octoberfest beer; malt, German hops, bready yeast etc.

The taste however was a bit disappointing. It has a subtle metallic taste that's annoying. Roasted malts are present, so is the taste of the bready yeast. But then it's sort of flat from then on. It tasted like a flat version of Sam Adams Octoberfest beer.

Mouth feel was flat. Don't get me wrong, the carbonation bubbles were there prickling the tongue, but there was no "chew" to this beer.

There really isn't much to say about this beer other than it didn't do much for me. It had no character that made me want to buy it again. The flavor profile left a lot to be desired. There are much better Marzen style beers out there. You won't be missing much by skipping out on this one.

2.96/5  rDev -18.7%

12 ounce bottle from a 6-pack poured into a pint glass. New blue and white checkerboard labeling, fresh 2011 batch.

A: Clear copper/bronze colored body with a nice rich and frothy white head. Some retention is left behind in the form a spotty cap with thicker ring, and virtually no lacing aside from a few dots.

S: A very weird Belgian yeasty note comes off quite powerfully on this one - it's extremely doughy and bready. It almost reminds me of that scent you get sometimes with very beginner home brews. Some mild caramel, toffee and sweetness are towards the back end.

T: Again, this funky overly bready yeast note comes through big and last until the swallow. For me it's too much of a focus and doesn't allow the malty profile to come through as clean as I would like it. More toffee, nuts and caramel malt are here but they're not showcased until the finish and linger. It's very strange and certainly not what I think of for an Oktoberfest.

M: A bit syrupy, medium-bodied with nice and lively carbonation. It would be great but this seems a bit stickier than it should be. I would like a more crisp and clean finish for the style.

It's not a bad Oktoberfest but certainly atypical and nothing like I was expecting. I unfortunately have five more of these to drink but it's not a beer I would purchase again. There are much better examples of the style out there, even American brewed ones.

Brooklyn Oktoberfest from Brooklyn Brewery