Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout | Brooklyn Brewery

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Reviews: 2,800 | Ratings: 6,633
3.75/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours pitch black with a finger width foamy head. Head retention is mild. Lacing is decent. Dark chocolate, licorice and slight coffee aroma. Maltiness is more light bodied with a stronger black licorice taste. You can detect some dark chocolate smoothness. Hints of coffee at the end. Not much of a roasted taste, which I come to expect from Imperial stouts. A little too much licorice for my taste as well. It does hide the alcohol very well. Probably could have used some more aging to bring out the chocolate taste better.

Winter 10-11 Release..

Pours ultra dark with half finger tan head. This dissipated quickly leaving a nice ring of carbonation around the glass with a moderate amount of lacing. This is rather fresh for BCS so there's a bit of bitter hop profile especially in the aftertaste. Aroma is roasted coffee, toasty malts, barley and coffee.. bit of a metallic tinge which isn't all too pleasant, but its not prevalent. There isn't a lot of complexity I'd say right now. It's rather green and kind of sour? Taste is mostly roasted malt, coffee and tobacco. Boozy. Hop bitterness is really starting to coat my tongue as the glass empties. Mouthfeel is about right. Very full and creamy. Drinkability is okay but I wouldn't have a second right now, this needs some age.

If you're a coffee aficianado and know how coffee tastes when you brew it below the proper temp this BCS is very similar. Very "green" tasting with a bit of sourness and bitterness.

Serving type - Bottle

Appearance - Black as oil, tan 1/2 head

Smell - Nuts, chocolate, malts, smoked coal smell coffee and also and alcohol

Taste - Very strong, stout. Has some sweetness but doesnt last long when at 10% the alcohol takes over. Coffee and chocolate is present, with some carbination making this a intense beer.

Mouthfeel - Quite a kick on the taste buds. Will numb the tounge if left in mouth for long. A bitter hop malt flavor aftertaste rounds out this monster

Drinkabilty - This is a good imperial stout but id love to taste this beer a few percents lower. A session beer, 1 and done for me. Id rather drink youngs double chocolate stout and enjoy a few

3.74/5  rDev -9.9%

A deep brown color, carbonation is intense, voluminous tan mousse shoots to the top of the glass and a big froth sits on top for minutes. Smells is puny, weak burnt sugar and stale coffee. Flavor is better, surprisingly light bodied for 10%, but still leaves me wanting more. Dark fruits and chocolate candies are present, but not intense. Great value beer, not a prize, but great to have around.

3.74/5  rDev -9.9%

Pours dark black duh, with a great dark beige head. Smell is milky, some chocolate, hops, leaves a little to be desired on the nose . Tastes hoppier than I expected, a little dark coffee flavor, nice lactic chocolate taste that isn't too sweet. It's very smooth and leaves a delicious chocolate aftertaste in your mouth, great after dinner beer

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - 3.5 - Black with a moderate tan head

S - 3.75 - Chocolate, but almost subordinate to some kind of baked good, blending into roasty. Also something metallic.

T - 3.75 - Not particularly sweet, surprisingly. Cacao nibs. Ends with something coppery and bittersweet chocolate. I'd like for it to be more complex.

M - 3.75 - Thinner than expected and thinner than it looks when pouring. Short of medium bodied.

O - 3.75 - This is a mature stout in the sense that it doesn't try to be sweet and syrupy and isn't afraid to be bitter in that darkest chocolate sort of way. I think it could actually use a bit more body and silkiness. The thinness combined with the metallic note give me something I don't quite want, which distracts from an otherwise interesting beer.

3.74/5  rDev -9.9%

I poured this from a 12 oz bottle to a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. This imperial stout was pitch black with a thick light brown head that faded to a thin lacing. I didnt get much of a smell from this. Faint scent of chocolate and alcohol. The taste is similar to the smell, it has a high boozy flavor. I like this beer, but i thought i would like it more. I didnt taste the chocolate i expected .

3.74/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

a: No head at first, then a monster tsunami of carbonation released to form a two inch tan head which hung on for a few minutes! Quite dense lacing which also stayed with it all through consumption! Dayum!

s: Dark malt, hint of chocolate.

t: More strong coffee than chocolate, more bitter than sweet. Smooths out somewhat later to a slightly more dark chocolaty bitterness.

m: Medium to heavy, velvety feel but the bitterness stands out.

o: Doesn't quite live up to the hype and rating for me, but then I'm not the biggest fan of really bitter beer. Still a standout brew for the kickass appearance and tastebud punch, which cover the high ABV pretty well.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours black with a small tan head that has ok retention and excellent lacing.the smell is of chocolate and licorice. And the flavor is just like the aroma but with some earthy hop flavor. There is some mild warm alcohol flavor as well.the mouthfeel is thick and creamy. And just the right amount of carbonation to keep it right. This beer is pretty good but not epic. A great beer for the price for sure. Very glad I tried this. And highly recommend it.

3.74/5  rDev -9.9%

Sorry for the stunted review, but until there's an app, it's going to be hard to review beers from bars and restaurants...

Poured dark, almost black with a chocolate brown head and lacing. Perfect.

Smells sweet (but not overly so) and malty. Nothing amazing, but better than average.

Tastes sticky and chocolatey with a sweet aftertaste like sweetened condensed milk. It tastes more like a milk stout than an imperial.

Good body, very nice. Foamy and creamy, and leaves a stickiness in your mouth that lets the flavor get a little more complex after drinking it.

Overall, it's very good. I'd drink this anytime, anywhere.

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

Pours a oil black with little to no head. Some lacing which seems to be a dark coffee in color. Looks tasty.

Smells initially like roasted alcohol. Can smell the ABV easily. Hint of coffee. Maybe some hops, barly, but really the alcohol.

Initial hints of chocolate and coffee which get over powered by a bombaredment of alcohol nose biting flavor ... ABV tasted. Not a bad alcohol, but a flavorful one. Hoppy finish which seems to be more of the american stout style. Full finish in flavor with staying power.

Medium to full bodied, great amount of carbonation for the style. Sits nice in the mouth until you swallow.

Overall I think the ABV is a bit overpowering for the flavor of this Stout. I think it could be masked a bit with more roasted malt for this to be considered stronger for the style. I dont think I could drink many of these. Not sure this is one I would come back to for East Coast RIS. Its too bad as Im a big Brooklyn fan.

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into an oversized stemless wine glass.

Brooklyn BCS pours up a thick, almost wet looking, black crude oil. Pretty much opaque, with just a hint of garnet when held to light. Head is the darkest I've ever seen on a beer, and roughly the color of some porters or brown ales I've had. Seriously dark espresso foam on this, maybe half a finger that holds nicely. This sucker also pours /out/ distinctively, as this stuff is viscous--it's not accident it conjures up analogies to oil. Yowza.

S--Very vinous, fortified winey, like port or its close cousin madeira. There are also some toffee notes and a bit of bitter chocolate.

T--Much like the nose: lots of warming alcohol that rounds out with wine notes and, to me, a little dark chocolate but much more black coffee, or espresso. Big, big beer, that does not bother hiding the liquor punch. Finish is bitter and a little like looking on the Montana horizon--in a word, neverending. Just lasts and lasts, and if it's a little warmer not only does the toffee come out, but also some raisins and, most of all, bitter roasted malt. Finish is the best part, as it's complex. Up til that point this beer is just big and boozy, which I'm guessing would change for the better with some aging. Have you ever had goobers? Imagine goobers that use dark chocolate instead of milk chocoate and dunked in coffee and kahlua. That's how this tastes to me.

M&D--Mouthfeel is excellent, silky velvety mongrammed Barry white sheets. Drinkability? Who cares. It's winter, so let's warm up. Not something you'd wanna drink before Christmas or after St. Patrick's day, but in that window it makes the snow shine a little brighter in the sun.

I like this beer, but I don't love it. It may be my unfamiliarity with the style, or my nagging sense that Brooklyn brews big beers rather than better ones. Often I feel like they're high end offerings gimme a black eye. But then again, I need to try more of their standard year-round stuff to be able to judge better.

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

I had at a dive bar somewhere in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Didn't really even know the name of the place at the time.
A-- Black, basically completely. Some light seeps through at the bottom. Even the head is a deep, deep tan.
S-- Has a chocolate scent. It comes through.
T-- Very rich, sour chocolate taste. Kind of a chestnut undertone. The chocolate comes through toward the end. A bit too alcohol taste.

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

Dark black color with mocha colored foam head that slowly dissipates. Some prickle that dissipates as well. I have smelled some characteristics of the nose in other imperial stouts. I can smell the chocolate malt but there is something in the nose that makes me think of an irish stout or red ale. Faint hints of smoke. Very lush and very thick mouthfeel. The malts are roasted pretty fully as I almost felt like I was eating roasted corn. Still some smoke at the finish and hints of coffee. The elusive scent presents in the flavor and continues to elude me. Perhaps it is the black malt alluded to on the label. Smoky finish and warm with alcohol. Very strong and powerful flavor. I would rate it B- on straight up flavor and all, but that is me.

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

A - All kinds of pitch black. No light making it through even the edges on this one. The head was pretty fluffy, and receded to a thin layer of bubbles.

S - Lots of coffee and barley.

T - Bitter with coffee and chocolate notes. There was some sweetness in the back end that reminded me of molasses.

M - Creamy, smooth and not overly carbonated. Good finish with only a touch of bitterness lingering around on the tongue.

D - Not my favorite RIS, but I'll continue to mix this in with my "go to" favorites since it's a seasonal dig.

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

Appearance is dark black with an almost perfect dark tan head. Aroma is strong chocolate and dark malts. Taste is of dark chocolate and heavy barley.A little bit of sugar and full body makes it go down extremely smooth. Drinkability gets a small hit because there is an alcohol sting that comes out a bit too much.

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

Had heard a lot of good things about this stout and was not dissapointed. The brew poured thick dark black and left a creamy head. First sip was sweet, followed by burnt caramel and hints of coffee. The sweetness did not let up, as the first sip's flavors stuck to the tongue. The back end provided a slightly smokey character which blended well with the high alcohol content. After 3 bottles had to switch to another another standby before tastebud destruction- too bad because it was cold outside and this stout was the perfect warmer. Overall a very tasty beer- well done.

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured from a bottle of 09 into a pint glass.

A- Black with a paper thin mocha head that fades instantly.

S- Mostly chocolate, but I'm getting some roasted malt action with a very slight touch of coffee.

T- A lot of slightly bitter dark chocolate. A slight pinch of coffee. There's also a tad bit of roasted malt in there, but the bitterness starts to overwhelm after awhile.

M- Its about the standard thickness for a RIS. Not overly syrupy, though. Good deal

D- This is strong, and the bitterness CAN get to be a little much. Regardless, its a damn fine beer that I'm sure would taste a lot better if it were 30 degrees cooler out. I like it. I don't love it...but I like it.

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

2003/2004 release. Pours completely black with a coffee colored head that dissipated relatively quickly. Aroma has some hints of caramel, cherry, black licorice, and roasted malts - but the overall scent I pick up is that of dark chocolate liqueor. This brew coats the mouth like syrup & is bittersweet. More licorice & cherry in the flavor profile, but also, of course, loads of dark chocolate. Alcohol is significantly more upfront than I would have hoped, though the brew becomes more well-rounded as it warms. All kinds of heavily roasted/burnt malt throughout. Finishes a little dry with long lasting chocolate truffle, espresso, & dark cherry.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a standard pint

Appearance is black black black. Tiny crown of tan foam on top. Not sure what else you could ask for.

Smell is a little muted. Mostly dark chocolate, toast, some nutty notes.

Taste, lead is heavy bitter to bitter sweet chocolate. Then it fades into, well, sort of a mess. Not bad by any means but I really can't pick anything out. It's a soup of stout flavors fighting each other. I had no problem drinking it, actually quite easy drinking, but it seemed a bit messy.

Mouthfeel is top notch. Thick, rich, optimal carbonation. This aspect really manage to make up for the messy palate and makes it very easy to drink.

Overall - although it's not really complex stout, it seems that this one would benefit from some age to let the flavors figure themselves out. I liked it, I would even recommend people try it, just didn't love it. I'll revisit this in a year or two.

2009-2010 BSC poured from bottle into pint glass

A: Dark black, minimal tan-colored head. Significant lacing. Not a lot of carbonation.

S: Not much, though that's pretty characteristic for me when I'm experiencing a stout.

T: Loads of toasted malts. Definitely getting the chocolate and coffee. Not as sweet as I was expecting, and that's a good thing. For 10% ABV, it's very well-hidden.

M: Great thick viscosity.

D: For 10% ABV, this is extremely drinkable. The heat of the alcohol is well-incorporated. If this is an imperial stout, it is my first, and I like what I'm experiencing.

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

Pours pitch-black, as dark as can be, with a nice coffee-colored creamy looking foam head - looks spectacular and maintains a bit of lacing. Smell is all malt - roasted, chocolate and a bit of coffee. I can smell the alcohol in this, as well. Taste is much the same, lots of malt sweetness, and a tad bit of fruit, as well - raisin and prune. Slick and creamy.

My biggest problem with this beer is the ever presence of alcohol, particularly in terms of taste. It's a big beer at over 10% but I just don't feel like it's hidden very well. It's especially present when cold, but even as the beer warms I still get more alcohol on my palate than I'd like.

09-10 Vintage.

A: Pours a deep black color with a nice tan head - initially one finger and eventually dissipates to a smallish ring. Lots of foamy lacing.

S: Roasted malts, dark fruits, cherries, burnt coffee, and some alcohol. I also smell the chocolate, but it's much more subtle than I expected. Pretty standard aroma for a sweet stout I'd say.

T: Espresso and mocha most apparent along with some sweet dark fruits. Bitter chocolate on the finish. It's pretty good, but doesn't really taste significantly different than lots of other sweet RIS I've had. As with the nose I was expecting a more distinct chocolate.

M: Very smooth, creamy feel and a nice full body. This beer really shines in this respect. Alcohol hidden fairly well, but you definitely feel the warming effects.

D: A pretty good RIS. However, for a limited release the emphasizes chocolate in its name I was a little disappointed. I'll probably drink one more for a second opinion and then cellar the other two for a while.

08-09 bottle

A- black body with a finger of sticky coffee colored lasting head. cant ask for much more.

S- roasted malt, dark chocolate, alcohol, and a dash of hops.

T- fresh this tastes like a load of chocolate dumped into a glass of booze. much room for improvement with age. it has a hoppy finish as well.

M- rather thick and creamy. very smooth

D- at 10% abv the alcohol isnt as well hidden as many other beers in this style. i cant wait to see what this one turns into in a year or three. one was enough for the evening. ill check in on this one fairly often.

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

Presentation: My first crack at this! Picked it up a couple of years ago (the bottle says "Winter 10-11") in Chicagoland. Classy, clean label, with nice info about the beer on a 12oz brown pop top. Into my Hennepin stemmed goblet.

Appearance: Pitch black, with a touch of ruby highlights in the bottom of the glass when held up to the light. Nice big tan head that shows good retention.

Smell: Lots of chocolatey fudge up front, with a bit of fruity booze. Really pleasant, but surprisingly no real roast; only detractor here is a lack of complexity.

Taste: Largely lacking the deep chocolately notes present in the aromas. Dark, fruity booze (hints of cherries). Dry roast (black malt?) on the finish . Some alcoholic heat, but not particularly hot. A nice imperial stout, though I'd lack a bit more richness and depth of flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full, but not quite what I'd expect for a big RIS.

Overall: For between $9-10 a 4-pack, this isn't a bad RIS. The aromas are nice, as are the flavors, though both could use a bit more depth and definition. Still, a nice, traditional English-style (not as hoppy or overly roasty, and with dark fruity alcohol) RIS. I was just expecting a bit more from such a talked-about and highly-rated beer.

85 = B