Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout | Brooklyn Brewery

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Reviews: 2,802 | Ratings: 6,651
4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

poured from a bottle into a pint glass poures black with a brown heading. Immediate smell of malt and some chocolate possible a touch a caramel. Heading sits for a while with beautiful lacing. Taste of chocolate immediatley tasted with smooth mixture of coffee. Moutful of the same with a touch more caramel.Settles very nicely in the gullet and could drink another but because of the alcohol content I will take it easy. Thanks to cliffnorm I tried this with a piece of chocolate and it does taste awesome.

Re-Review on Nov 1 2009.
Almost been a year since I had this and thought I'd re-review it. Poured into a snifter. Pours an opague black with a very thick light brown heading. Very heavy and thick looking with crazy lacing and legs clinging to th glass.

Smell is much more chocolatey than last. Heavy roasted malt aroma is dominate with slight touches of coffee and vanilla.

Taste is a little different than last year as well. The heavy roasted and chocolate malts are immediate. The warming alcohol kicks in shortly thereafter with a slight gritty coffee filling the palate.

Mouth is super smooth with a thick full body and very creamy texture but does break up do to the warm alochol feel.

Drink is decent a bit heavy for a sesion brew but a definite must taste and now more than ever one of my true favorites.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a thick oily black color. The head is one inch in height, and dark tan in color. Lacing is long lasting and sticky. The aroma is of dark chocolate, roasted malt, molasses, and graham cracker. The taste is like the aroma with the addition of a slight alcohol burn in the finish. The mouthfeel is full bodied, with low carbonation, and a silky texture. Overall, this is a great beer. I could easily drink this over and over again.

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

I get this one from cousin in New York.

Black beer like it say on bottle. Smell like chocolate. Taste like good Belgian chocolate and not much like alcohol just like bottle say. I like this very much but big alcohol. Only had two this day. I want cousin to send me more Black Chocolate Stout.

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

This is one of the most underrated beers in its style category IMO. And its readily available on the shelves in my neck of the woods which is even better! An awesome beer at an awesome price point.

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

This beer has consistently blown me away every time I have tried it. I had been holding off on a review until I was sure that I could do it justice, but after tonight, which was my fifth tasting, I think I've got a good idea.

So tonight, from a 12 oz 2006-07 release, it pours a gorgeous obsidian black with about a finger and a half of leather-colored head. The head remained for about four minutes or so, before receding into lace. This is really surprising given the 10.6% ABV.

The smell. Oh man. Molasses, rum, vanilla, ripe cherries, and booze.

As for the taste, it has a gorgeous chocolate taste. Not overly chocolatey. Not cloying. Not artificial chocolate. Just good, dark chocolate. But it is so much more than that. Well-defined and well-balanced notes of molasses, dark rum, and plums are also at the forefront. Vanilla and possibly anis dance around my palate.

Delicious mouthfeel. Just the right amount of heavy, slick body for a Russian Imperial. Viscous, meaty, and velvety smooth, it goes down super-easy for 10.6% ABV.

As far as drinkabiity, you're not going to play Beirut with this. But that would be blasphemy anyway.

Outstanding.

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

This beer has been significantly improved over the past 5 years. It has become an awesome example of what I know to be a Russian Imperial Stout. Bought a six pack of this at Wegman's back home in Syracuse, NY. Enjoyed in a nonic glass. Hard poured it to get some of that dark brown head and lacing on the edge of the glass. As far as aroma and taste goes, there's only one word and that is MALT! Sooo much awesome malt flavor in this beer. Mouthfeel is sticky but smooth. Perfect amount of alcohol warming as well. I had three of these during Thanksgiving day...I felt so at home.

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

I have already bought several 6 packs of this one. Was happy to see a display piled to near the ceiling at my local beer store (which was quickly gone down) figured it was time for a review... I had these at cellar temp... cant see drinking this cold it would be a waste. Bottle says brewed for winter 07-08

A- It poured Black with a slight ruby hue when put to the light..its oily but not thick- with a 1 finger tan head the settles very slow.

S- Alcohol,dark fruits and chocolate

T- Dark chocolate and fruits- a lot like the smell- with a perfect warmth from the alcohol in the brew- dark roasted grains with a surprisingly sweet taste -the hops are well blended with the other flavors because it doesn't have a bitter bite at all- excellent layering of flavors.

M- Its very slick not chewy and it might be a bit on the thin side for a imperial -it takes away from mouthfeel but adds to the drinkability...Has more carbonation than other imp stouts Ive had but not to much..

D- Top notch, I love imp Stouts- this one is probably the most drinkable for this style Ive ever had Ive had a couple that taste better maybe but those were 1 and done beers- this I can actually have a few and only the 10.6% stops me. I just cant get enough of this one..which I think thats pretty rare and I had to give this a 5 for drinkability.

I have been meaning to get some more of these to keep around and age for a while- but every time I go get more I seem to end up drinking them. I cant see why some people haven't rated this one higher-- maybe this years brew is better than others...

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours heavy, thick, and deep black with garnet notes and a very dark brown head of dense moose. Completely opaque, this is the black hole of beers. Aroma is strong dark, even burnt malt, with notes of the alcohol and some dark fruits (dates, figs, currants). Hintsof anise come through in the aroma as well. Flavor is more dark (burnt) malt, bitter chocolate, and some very slight sherry notes. Finish is pleasantly dry and dark, with subtle reminders of the alcohol. Body is thick and oily, but very smooth.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours black with one finger of dark tan head and good lacing.

Scent of roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, and prunes. A very nice scent with well masked alcohol.

Taste of dark fruits, chocolate, roasted malts, and some alcohol. Finishes with lingering roasted malts and cocoa powder. A rich and intense flavor with nicely warming alcohol, truly exceptional for the price.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and smooth with a slight bit of carbonation.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Ineedabeerhere for the trade on this

A- Black body with a frothy brown head almost reminiscent of chocolate milk.

S- Chocolate dominates but is accompanied by rich roasted malts and hints of caramel.

T- Chocolate flavor comes in first but is swiftly backed up by a roased malt flavor. A very slight alcohol warming note quickly follows a light caramel sweetness quietly fighting against a pleasantly earthy hop bitterness which carries through the end.

M- Wonderfully viscous, my lips are sticky.

D- If you can get this and want some stuff from New Glarus, BeerMail me (if my trading budget allows).

For me, Imperial Stouts are hit or miss. This one is a friggin grand slam. Assertive yet balanced, simply sublime.

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

Thanks for grabbing this one for me Blake, I’ve been looking forward to it.

Classy looking bottle dated Winter ’04-’05. A really nice black pour, not even direct light penetrates. I get a nice sticky head composed of small bubbles with some big bubbles coming through the middle creating that oatmeal like look. The smell is nice, I pick up berries, dark chocolate, plum, roasty and scorched smells and a rum like alcohol aroma tickles my nostrils. This beer tastes even better then it smells. Again I pick up on the dark fruit flavors, espresso , charred malt, the alcohol character is definitely there…it’s more vinous then I first detected in the smell though. I don’t want to forget about the namesake chocolate,…to me I pick it up more as dry, dark cocoa powder…delicious. Bitterness clings to my lips which is another thing I love about a big stout. The alcohol comes out a lot more once it’s warm. The mouthfeel ain’t bad, but when it comes to big stouts I say the thicker the better and this one falls a little short of the very best big stouts I’ve had. An awesome beer, I really wish I had more than six of them

04-05 bottle I've been cellaring for 4 years

I wish I had reviewed this beer 4 years ago when it was fresh so I could compare notes. Oh well.

Thick, black, opaque, almost syrupy in appearance. Serious red-wine like fingering down the sides of the glass. Alcohol and chocolate dominate the nose with hints of toasted malt.

Full, rich, roasty flavor. The alcohol has definitely been subdued over time and really takes a back seat to the roasted malt. Not much hop flavor, but the bitterness has remained so that the beer does not taste very sweet at all. Mouthfeel is thick but not syrupy.

This is a very drinkable RIS. By no means a session beer, it is extremely enjoyable from start to finish.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

The beer poured motor oil black with just a slight ruby highlight. The head was brown and huge, lasting to lace the glass.

The aroma was huge roasted and chocolate. Just a slight hint of alcohol and plenty of fruitiness. A complex assortment of aromatics.

The flavor was smooth with plenty chocolate. In the background is intense bitterness to balance the malt. Also some dark fruit in the flavor.

The finish was dry bittersweet chocolate. The body was full.

A complex, very enjoyable brew.

12 ounce bottle. Vintage '03-'04.

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into Pint Glass

A- Jet black oil. Nice two finger head that lingered and faded to lacy patches.

S- Fantastic dark chocolate, roasted malty sweetness, and smokey notes.

T- Superb dark chocolate/coffee bitterness that fades into a nice chocolate sweetness. The 10% ABV is present but masked phenomenally. As the beer warms, more and more of the chocolate and alcohol pokes through.

M- Full bodied, creamy and thick. Excellent.

O- One of my new favorite Russian Imperial Stouts. Nice dark chocolate bitterness then blends into milk chocolate and roasty malt sweetness. Definitely some heat at the back end but for a 10%'er it's well hidden esp for a fresh bottle. One of my new winter favorites

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I'd just tried this year's bottling back in Indiana, and now at the Drafting Room in PA i see the 2005 version on tap. I jumped at the chance. Served in a snifter looking very dark brown to black with a little chocolate brown head. Odor is bitter cooking chocolate and some indecipherable dark fruits. Smells delicious and tamer than the fresh version. Taste is a fantastic chocolate with slight bitterness. Some cherries among the chocolate. Coffee on the finish. amazingly well balanced. velvety smooth. a deluxe drink experience. A year's aging does wonders for this already fantastic brew.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tulip from a 12oz bottle. Winter 10-11 Vintage.

A - Pretty vigorous purs lets out a dark oily black liquid with a nice 1 inch dark tan head that is almost brown. Very dense with tons of tiny bubbles stuck together. The head is very slow to recede and leaves some awesome brown sticky lacing as it moves slowly down the glass.

S - Aroma of sweet delicious chocolate malt as well as some nice caramel and brown sugar. Slight cinnamon hints as well as licorice. There i some awesome fruity and boozy esters as well that are warm and inviting. Nice milk chocolate and cocoa powder notes dominate.

T & M - Starts off with some nice sweet chocolate hints as well as some dark bitter chocolate. Very well struck balance between dark chocolate and milk chocolate. There are some nice burnt and roasted malt hints in the middle portion after the explosion of chocolate that give the sweetness a nice balance. There are also some good alcoholic esters that are warm as well as sweet. The sweetness can be interpreted as caramel s well as brown sugar but they are not to overwhelming either. A complex yet balanced beer. Mouthfeel is perfect with nice oily consistency but nothing overwhelming as well as perfect carbonation balance and boozy warmth.

D - Very high if not for the higher ABV. The ABV is not too overwhelming but can be felt and tasted as it warms.

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

A- Starting with the 'executive' looking black label ('09-'10)spangled with stars, I anticipated a badass beer. I poured this baby into a Sam Adams glass(what was available) and daaamn, that beer is fine. Nice black opaque body with an excellent thick head.

S- Sweet. Sweet chocolate and roasted malt aroma. After you smell it, the beer pulls you in face first.

T- Awesome!!! Tastes like it smells. I tasted it in correctly the first time I tried it. When sipping I get a very metallic taste, but when you gulp it, your mouth is filled with sheer awesomeness.

M- A thicker feeling liquid with regular, not-too-prickly carbonation. Alcoholic dryness on the way down.

D- I drank the beer in less than 3 minutes. I'd consider that drinkable. I just wish I had another.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Hot damn. Russian Imperial Stout is my favorite style...and this one is exceptional. Pours a black color with a chocolate head that recedes into a thin ring leaving beautiful, albeit spotty, lacing. Smells of roasty malts, bitter chocolate and coffee. Tastes like it smells. Finishes dry, starts sweet. VERY enticing. Not overly complex, but well-balanced and drinkable, especially given the 10% ABV.

Full-bodied with light carbonation. Creamy. This is a delicious beer that is dangerously drinkable. I love having this one in cold weather. Highly, highly recommended!!!!

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours very thick, dark black with a brown creamy head. Smells and taste of rich roasted malt with hints of cocoa and coffee. If this brew contained a stronger hop presence it would rival Storm King.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

How is it possible that I have never reviewed this beer? It has sustained me and kept insanity at bay through many cold winters living in NE PA and CT.

Pours like black India ink, thick and viscous with great legs. A draft pour produces a thick, whipped brown froth that clings like Cool Whip, before settling down to a tight cap.

Aroma boasts of expertly toasted dark malts, liquified chocolate, booze-soaked raisins and plum, espresso, fruity licorice, and bittersweet fruity hops.

Flavor is creamy dark chocolate covered raisins melting in a hot cup of fresh espresso. Massive malt complexity, burnt caramel, licorice, English toffee, plum, and creamy vanilla creme brule'. It's perfectly balanced by plenty of pine, fruity citrus, and sweet floral hops. No trace of the strength. This year's version tastes like it's allready been aged it's so smooth.

Body is full, but not huge. Mouthfeel is like liquid silk with a creamy, slippery texture that is a joy to roll around your tongue. Infinately drinkable, a great food and dessert beer, and something I look forward to every year.

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

i love this beer and seek it out every year. its thick and oh so rich. of course it's chocolisious. it even has a great after taste that lingers for a while.....not to mention one helluva bite. if you don't like this beer you don't like this style of beer.it's a Padron anniversary 26 maduro of 'beers'

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours out with a thin brown head which quickly dissipates. Black with deep red highlights. Aromas of dark roast coffee, brandy, cocoa, plums... very inviting.

Taste migrates from sweet to roasty and finishes with a heavy hand of warming alcohol. Certainly a sipper. Thick mouthfeel amplifies the roasty chocolate flavors. Complex dark fruit flavors along with more of that dark coffee.

Remarkably smooth for a imperial stout, but could use some aging before consumption. (This is a 2007 bottle). I've got a couple of these stashed from last year that I'll have to check out soon.

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a near pitch black with reddish hues around the edges. Strong tan head which provides surprising lacing given the abv.

Smell is roasty, coffee like, slight hints of cocoa. Perhaps something slightly sour although not infection-ish.

Tastes like a quality bitter dark chocolate with a more coffee like aftertaste. Hints of dark fruit throughout, perhaps fig. Impressive.

Can't find anything I don't like about the mouthfeel. Thick, rich, silky, fairly strong carbonation for a stout. Lovely.

Overall one of the best value beers I've ever encountered. Will be buying a case next year.

4.56/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Look: Pours pitch black into a snifter, with a one finger caramel head which fades very quickly.

Smell: Alcohol is present. The chocolate aroma almost has a hint of mint.

Taste: Very RISish. Has a hint of sweet milk chocolate taste upfront which fades to a dark, bitter chocolate flavor at the end. Alcohol again is present.

Feel: Fell bodied, as stout should be.

Overall: I'm not feeling very creative for this portion right now. Busy drinking.

4.56/5  rDev +9.9%

Appearance: Wonderful dark brown/black color that I look for in an Imperials Stout. Wonderful brown head that is huge and settles after a while to a nice layer on the brew. It sticks to the glass like no ones buisiness.

Smell: Very caremelly and alcoholic. Can smell roasted chocolate and coffee.

Taste: Very complex. Same taste as the smell with more roastiness and chocolate. Alcohol lingers in the background to give you a sublte spicy bite at the end of your taste.

Mouthfeel: Exceptional. It is nice and thick and has a wonderful consitency. Not too suryp like. Nice carbonation breaking throught the thickness.

Drinkability: This is unusually drinkable. The 8.5% will knock your socks off if you have a few but you don't notice it much when you drink it. This is dangerously delicious and drinkable.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery