Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout | Brooklyn Brewery

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Ratings: 6,714 |  Reviews: 2,820

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A - dark as night with a nesquik color head. Nice ring of lacing sticks around as well.

S - lots of great aromas here. Chocolate fudge with some dark as well, raisins, fig and bits of cream and caramel.

T - big chocolate fudge with some dark fruits and slightly bitter and a bit thin on the finish. Not too much on the thin side but it's there. There's also some licorice dancing around in there as well.

M - medium carbonation and slightly thin crisp not he finish.

O - very nice stout.

4.01/5  rDev -3.4%

A- 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a dark black color with a nice tan head with very good lacing and retention.

S- The aroma is dark roasted malts, chocolate, and alcohol soaked fruits.

T- The taste is dark roasted malts with a long bitter and boozy finish that warms the stomach from the high ABV.

M- The mouthfeel is thick and smooth on the palate.

D- This is definitely a sipper, the drinkability suffers from the high ABV.

Overall, this is a pretty solid chocolate stout that is recommended.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: poured almost an opaque black

Smell: dark chocolate, fruit, alcohol smell pretty strong

Taste: rich chocolate and coffe flavors, sweet, bitter, this is a beautiful beer

Mouthfeel: smooth, alcohol tinglyness

Drinkability: it tastes good, very enjoyable, but also very clearly alcoholic

This is a great imperial stout, I was very surprised that it came in a 6pack for $10 considering the quality and the style.

...but the alcohol flavor is very present. It is 10% alcohol you know.

4.01/5  rDev -3.4%

This is the winter 09-10 Black Chocolate Stout, 12 oz. bottle. Purchased 4 bottles, of this beer, as it should improve over the next year or two from what I've heard.

The beer poured a very dark black, almost completely opaque, with a thin, nutty brown head which dissipated rather quickly. The beer exhibited almost no lacing. Aromas of deep roasted malts, not quite burnt, a hint of chocolate and molasses, and maybe some raisin. On the front is the taste of heavy roasted malt, some coffee bitterness, and a hint of caramel or toffee. The finish was really where the dark chocolate flavors stood out compared to the other malt flavors. Not too much hop presence throughout, but a nice full body with decent carbonation. The high alcohol percentage went almost unnoticed until the back end, where it was well balanced by the chocolate notes. This made it a very drinkable beer in my opinion, although the alcohol and heavy body would dissuade me from drinking much more of it in one session.

This was overall a great beer, although there was not as much chocolate flavor as I was expecting. The roasted, almost burnt malt flavors definitely override most of the chocolate.

4.01/5  rDev -3.4%

A: Jet Black with a finger and a half of khaki colored head that dissipates slowly.

S: Rich espresso and dark chocolate waft through my nose.

T: Deep malt/espresso and dark chocolate blended in with that roasted grain core. Some heat/burn at the end.

M: Smooth thick feel with just the right amount of carbonation.

D: A very well made beer. A drinkable RIS. Heat is a little more noticeable than I might prefer considering this beer is neither barreled or bourbon barreled.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottled poured into wine glass.

A-Jet black. Dark brown foam head that lingers longer than one would expect for an RIS, leaves behind some lacing.

S-Coffee, not as much chocolate as I would have thought.

T-Malts, Coffee and some subtle chocolate.

M-Medium bodied, creamy and very smooth.

D-The creamy mouthfeel makes it less drinkable but the 10% is not noticable.

4.01/5  rDev -3.4%

Black beer with nothing of translucency. Foam: brown, dense and persistent. Aroma: roasted malt, very smell of coffee, chocolate and alcohol. Creamy texture. Taste of coffee, bitter chocolate and roasted malt. Alcohol is properly inserted. Medium carbonation. Dry and bitter end.

4.01/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Thick head, darker-cream color, lasted about 3 minutes to settle down, then left with just a bit of lacing to look at. This is a-ok for me because I'm not drinking the lacing, i'm drinking the beer.
S: The nose is great but I embarrassingly have trouble placing it. There's the obvious chocolate and malt, and I want to say "dark fruit" but I don't mean black cherry or currant. I *think* I'm smelling figs but honestly it's been a while since I've smelled figs so I might be pulling that out of no where. In any case it smells dark and delicious and mostly like semi sweet chocolate.
T: Bittersweet chocolate (not the kind you want to eat, but the kind you bake with), coffee, more dark fruits- this makes me ask myself "what's the difference between dates and figs?"
M: Well carbonated, thick enough but certainly not syrupy, just what I want from a big stout.
O: It's a solid chocolate stout, not the best but definitely not the worst. I've bought it before and I'll definitely keep buying it in the future. I think it's worth the price, and also worth saving a few bottles each year for aging.

4.01/5  rDev -3.4%

a : Dark, almost black, opaque. Have a thick, rich caramel colored head. It holds onto the side of the glass pretty well.
s : Smells like chocolate, alcohol, and raisen in that order. Doesn't have as much aroma as some other imperial stouts I have had, and the alcohol is a bit more noticeable here. Pleasant smell.
t : Raisens are the most aparent flavor in the beer followed by coffee and then the alcohol finished the beer with a warming sensation. The chocolate is more apparent when I swish the beer around my mouth and after I swallow.
m : Coats the mouth well, and makes my tongue happy as it digs through the maltiness to get to the chocolate undertones. A little thin, in my opinion for an imperial stout.
d : I can only drink 1 of these a night and only a couple times a week. That said this is my 6th Black Chocolate Stout of the season so I certainly enjoy the brew.

I bought this beer at the same time as Southern Tier's Imperial Choklat Stout. I think that they are both great showings for the style. I wish this beer had a bit more aroma. Other than that I think that this beer is quite nice to drink on cold nights (like tonight). Enjoy.

4.01/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery