Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout | Brooklyn Brewery

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Ratings: 6,681 |  Reviews: 2,811

4.01/5  rDev -3.4%

A- 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a dark black color with a nice tan head with very good lacing and retention.

S- The aroma is dark roasted malts, chocolate, and alcohol soaked fruits.

T- The taste is dark roasted malts with a long bitter and boozy finish that warms the stomach from the high ABV.

M- The mouthfeel is thick and smooth on the palate.

D- This is definitely a sipper, the drinkability suffers from the high ABV.

Overall, this is a pretty solid chocolate stout that is recommended.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: poured almost an opaque black

Smell: dark chocolate, fruit, alcohol smell pretty strong

Taste: rich chocolate and coffe flavors, sweet, bitter, this is a beautiful beer

Mouthfeel: smooth, alcohol tinglyness

Drinkability: it tastes good, very enjoyable, but also very clearly alcoholic

This is a great imperial stout, I was very surprised that it came in a 6pack for $10 considering the quality and the style.

...but the alcohol flavor is very present. It is 10% alcohol you know.

4.01/5  rDev -3.4%

This is the winter 09-10 Black Chocolate Stout, 12 oz. bottle. Purchased 4 bottles, of this beer, as it should improve over the next year or two from what I've heard.

The beer poured a very dark black, almost completely opaque, with a thin, nutty brown head which dissipated rather quickly. The beer exhibited almost no lacing. Aromas of deep roasted malts, not quite burnt, a hint of chocolate and molasses, and maybe some raisin. On the front is the taste of heavy roasted malt, some coffee bitterness, and a hint of caramel or toffee. The finish was really where the dark chocolate flavors stood out compared to the other malt flavors. Not too much hop presence throughout, but a nice full body with decent carbonation. The high alcohol percentage went almost unnoticed until the back end, where it was well balanced by the chocolate notes. This made it a very drinkable beer in my opinion, although the alcohol and heavy body would dissuade me from drinking much more of it in one session.

This was overall a great beer, although there was not as much chocolate flavor as I was expecting. The roasted, almost burnt malt flavors definitely override most of the chocolate.

4.01/5  rDev -3.4%

A: Jet Black with a finger and a half of khaki colored head that dissipates slowly.

S: Rich espresso and dark chocolate waft through my nose.

T: Deep malt/espresso and dark chocolate blended in with that roasted grain core. Some heat/burn at the end.

M: Smooth thick feel with just the right amount of carbonation.

D: A very well made beer. A drinkable RIS. Heat is a little more noticeable than I might prefer considering this beer is neither barreled or bourbon barreled.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottled poured into wine glass.

A-Jet black. Dark brown foam head that lingers longer than one would expect for an RIS, leaves behind some lacing.

S-Coffee, not as much chocolate as I would have thought.

T-Malts, Coffee and some subtle chocolate.

M-Medium bodied, creamy and very smooth.

D-The creamy mouthfeel makes it less drinkable but the 10% is not noticable.

4.01/5  rDev -3.4%

Black beer with nothing of translucency. Foam: brown, dense and persistent. Aroma: roasted malt, very smell of coffee, chocolate and alcohol. Creamy texture. Taste of coffee, bitter chocolate and roasted malt. Alcohol is properly inserted. Medium carbonation. Dry and bitter end.

4.01/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Thick head, darker-cream color, lasted about 3 minutes to settle down, then left with just a bit of lacing to look at. This is a-ok for me because I'm not drinking the lacing, i'm drinking the beer.
S: The nose is great but I embarrassingly have trouble placing it. There's the obvious chocolate and malt, and I want to say "dark fruit" but I don't mean black cherry or currant. I *think* I'm smelling figs but honestly it's been a while since I've smelled figs so I might be pulling that out of no where. In any case it smells dark and delicious and mostly like semi sweet chocolate.
T: Bittersweet chocolate (not the kind you want to eat, but the kind you bake with), coffee, more dark fruits- this makes me ask myself "what's the difference between dates and figs?"
M: Well carbonated, thick enough but certainly not syrupy, just what I want from a big stout.
O: It's a solid chocolate stout, not the best but definitely not the worst. I've bought it before and I'll definitely keep buying it in the future. I think it's worth the price, and also worth saving a few bottles each year for aging.

4.01/5  rDev -3.4%

a : Dark, almost black, opaque. Have a thick, rich caramel colored head. It holds onto the side of the glass pretty well.
s : Smells like chocolate, alcohol, and raisen in that order. Doesn't have as much aroma as some other imperial stouts I have had, and the alcohol is a bit more noticeable here. Pleasant smell.
t : Raisens are the most aparent flavor in the beer followed by coffee and then the alcohol finished the beer with a warming sensation. The chocolate is more apparent when I swish the beer around my mouth and after I swallow.
m : Coats the mouth well, and makes my tongue happy as it digs through the maltiness to get to the chocolate undertones. A little thin, in my opinion for an imperial stout.
d : I can only drink 1 of these a night and only a couple times a week. That said this is my 6th Black Chocolate Stout of the season so I certainly enjoy the brew.

I bought this beer at the same time as Southern Tier's Imperial Choklat Stout. I think that they are both great showings for the style. I wish this beer had a bit more aroma. Other than that I think that this beer is quite nice to drink on cold nights (like tonight). Enjoy.

4.01/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.01/5  rDev -3.4%

At $6.99 a 4pk this imp. stout is a bargain.

Poured into a Sebago tulip.

A beautiful tan cocoa tight bubbled head sits above a deep black cherry body. Ample soapy lace patterns the glass. The nose is chocolate syrup and liqueur.

Rich syrupy chocolate. Maybe a little too sweet. You can taste the 10%. Hints of vanilla extract with a slight bourbon or coffee brandy mocha flavor.

Every bit over the top and imperial. A slick and somewhat creamy mouthfeel make this an enjoyable stout in small doses. One or two at a sitting should suffice. Might work well to cut this with a dry porter.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter at cellar temperature.

L – Black color with a 1.5-finger frothy, tan head. Nice retention and some really terrific lacing early on. It sort of slides down the glass back into the beer as time goes by.

S – Definitely chocolate, molasses, and dark fruits like plums and figs. Some roasted coffee is here, too, along with some alcohol.

T – Sweet nearly all the way through with chocolate, plum, fig, and some molasses. Some roasted bitterness creeps in and builds at the finish.

F – Full-bodied with good carbonation, a velvety, sticky, and creamy mouthfeel, and a bittersweet and slightly dry finish. Sweet chocolate and dark fruit and bitter roasted malt flavors linger. There is definitely some throat-and-palate warmth from the alcohol.

O – This is a good RIS. It’s not the best or most complex one that I’ve had, but it is exactly what is advertised – a black chocolate stout. Glad I got to try it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Reviewing the 01-02 edition, which has been sitting for about ten months. I believe that this beer is better now than it was in early March when the six-pack was purchased.

Black with a dark tan, mocha-colored head that is decorated with an array of swirling browns and peppered with differently sized bubbles. A beautiful beer. The aroma suggests sweet molasses and raisin, with only a hint of chocolate. Alcohol is also present in the nose. The initial flavor displays roasted malt, with what I would describe as dark, even burnt, coffee. The chocolate flavors are at first rather faint, but more noticeable as the beer warms, especially at the back of the palate and in the nasal passages. At no point, however, would I describe this glass of beer as especially chocolately. There is a slight sourness at the finish.

Purchased at "The Party Source" in Newport, KY:

A: Pours charcoal black with a huge, spongy, 1 inch, dark tan head on pour. Lacing is huge and is sticky against the side of the glass.

S: Large chocolate and malt tones. Hints of a bourbon alcohol note lying underneath the chocolaty base.

M/T: Medium to thick body. The frothy head makes it feel full bodied. I get roasted malts first on the pallet, followed by a chocolate blast and then a dry carbonated swallow. Mouth is left semi dry, however it leaves a strong roasted malt, coffee and chocolate finish.

D: For saying chocolate on the label, this beer is not very sweet. Also, I like how the carbonation makes it feel light and not like you are drinking a "dessert beverage". With its dry finish, this beer is very drinkable.

4.01/5  rDev -3.4%

Well first off let me wait until this giant head 3 inch chocolate colored head dies down a bit before I taste it.Let me talk about the pour while I'm waiting.If I had a regular pint glass instead of 20oz it would of spilled all over the place.It looked and sounding like motor oil being poured.Looked similar to chocolate milk and then turned black as night.I've waited 6 minutes and the head has just died down to about an inch so I can taste it.Whheeew thats strong..Its creamy and smooth like drinking pure butter.The head looks like ice cream floating in a milk shake.It tastes strong of coffee and the darkest richest chocolate there is.This is the winter 02-03 edition..Extremely malty and thick..Left a brown lace all the way up my glass.Has a bite on the finish of alcohol.The strongest stout I've ever had! Has kind of a Sam Adams triple bock smell and taste.Very syrupy with almost a wine style taste and extremely high in alcohol.This is not a beer you can drink all night.One of these and you'll be ready to switch.Save for aging or special occasions.

4.01/5  rDev -3.4%

'01-'02: My first experience with a Brooklyn Brewery product. (Not that it factored into the rating, but it has a great classy looking bottle)..Smells of high alcohol, and has a bit of a high alcohol taste to it...Nice imperial though...very rich and thick but nowhere close to Belle's Expedition in this area...tastes of bakers chocolate thanks to some nice complex blackened malts...(I don't believe this beer adds any real chocolate to it)..I had heard a lot of positives about this brewery, and my first experience is a good one...Above average Imperial Stout..

4.01/5  rDev -3.4%

A - poured into a pint glass. Thick and absolutely jet black regardless of lighting. No head at first but as the pour settled a small, dense, dark brown foam appeared. Didn't last very long or leave any lacing though.

S - dark chocolate syrup, hint of black cherry

T - strong character of roasty boozy malts. bitter side is more coffee-like than chocolaty. has some syrupy sweetness counterbalancing things, though, and even a slight fruitiness toward the end. definitely finishes bitter though.

M - thick, heavy, sticky...in short, decadent. A little more creaminess (a la oatmeal stouts) would make it "perfect" (to my personal preference), albeit outside the RIS standard. As a straight up style exemplar, its feel is darn near perfect.

D - the ABV is definitely noticeable but there's nothing gratuitous about the strength. Just the right match for this depth of flavor, without becoming hard to finish. Wouldn't have more than one, but that's not the point.

4.02/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours black as night with a small, khaki head. Lacing all the way down.

Hints of chocolate blend with coffee beans as well as dark fruits, alcohol and a faint sweetness.

Medium bodied, velvet smooth. Tons of flavors here. Rum and alcohol show up first moving into a dark fruit, probably plum flavor. Melds with a brown sugar sweetness and then finishes with a bitter-sweetness and alcohol flavor.

A fine double stout, quite complex. I would like to see the alcohol flavor toned down a little, but that's why God invented aging, right?

4.02/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Much more carbonated than I like this stout poured a bubbly thin brown head. Deep black coloring the bubbles rose quickly through the darkness and burst loudly at the top.

The scent is subtle but has nice variation. Touch of vanilla and coconut, like many barrel aged stouts, there's evident chocolate malts and a touch of graham cracker.

The taste is of strong roasted malts, slightly burnt. There's a sweet vanilla middle that is fleeting and a hint of tinny alcohol at the end.

The mouthfeel is slightly thick and viscus, with a carbonated finish. This lends to my overall feelings in that I really enjoyed it but found the immense carbonation off-putting. I allowed it to "air out" like a wine and it behaved much better. Very strange.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery