Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout | Brooklyn Brewery

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Ratings: 6,681 |  Reviews: 2,811
2.65/5  rDev -36.1%

This was the first Imperial Stout that I have had, and feel that I may want to stay away from this style of beer.

Appearance: It poured black, aesthetically not bad for a stout beer.

Smell: A mixture of chocolate, some vanilla with hints of coffee. And the part that I think turned me away was the alcohol scent. It was just too strong for me. I don’t feel that beer should smell like the alcohol.

Taste: The taste was strong on the chocolate, more bitter dark chocolate that milk.

Mouth feel: Average, kinda watery.

Drinkability: This is, for me at least, not a session beer. I can’t see myself drinking this brew on any occasion.

I guess you can’t like al the styles of beer…. Too bad for me right…

And as always remember the immortal words:

“Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy.”

~Benjamin Franklin

2.65/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Black as night with no head.
Smell: Bitter and chocolatey notes.
Taste: It doesn't even taste like beer. It's like slightly carbonated milk chocolate. Not too bad overall, but it get's worse as it warms. This should be named "Brooklyn Old Chocolate Milk".
Mouthfeel: Creamy yet dull.
Drinkability: Half of one of these is more than enough.

2.65/5  rDev -36.1%

A-Poured black with tan 2 finger head. Looked delicious.

S- smelled lightly of chocolate. Alcohol smell was overbearing.

T- first sip was pretty bad imho. The alcohol taste reminded me of a cheap "ice" beer.
I dis notice as it got warmer that the alcohol didn't stand out as much and I was delighted as the chocolate, toasty' and liquorice taste came through.

M- mouthfeel was good. Pretty heavy, which I like.

O- wasn't very impressed but at the same time i'm new to this and it may be that the alcohol taste should stand out as it did. Loved the look of this stout but smell and taste was had a bit more alcohol presence than I like.

2.67/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Excellent alcohol bite. A slightly lingering bitter aftertaste.

2.67/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Package: 12-ounce bottle. Winter 2002-2003 vintage.

Appearance: Looks like black mud as it pours out of the bottle. Thick. Black. Thick tan head. So thick not even Superman can see through this beer.

Smell: Strong alcohol and chocolate aroma. Somewhat bready as well.

Taste: Very bitter and alcohol flavor up front. Tangy almost lemon-like zesty flavor is also present. There is an “odd” flavor that is present in the middle of the flavor timeline that I do not like but I can’t quite identify what it is. I just don’t like how it mixes with the other flavors. Chocolate malt flavor is also present. Roasted and burnt espresso aftertaste. Strong hop bitterness also present in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Thick and extremely chewy.

Drinkability: Super strong bitterness and alcohol flavor detracts from the drinkability.

Comments: For me it was not as good as it looked. I enjoyed the chocolate malt and espresso flavors but that “odd” flavor is just not my thing. Thank you Keith (stegmakk) for the bottle.

2.69/5  rDev -35.2%

Bottle (2010)

Thanks for sharing Sam!

Jet black pour with a light brown, tan head that sticks around, then leaves lots of lacing down the glass. So far, so good.

Sharp alcohol is the first thing I notice unfortunately, and I have to search for the chocolate. When I do find it, it's somewhat sharp and too sweet, not rich and decadent like other wonderful chocolate stouts. There's some nice roasted malt and coffee elements that try to balance it out, but it's dominated by alcohol and over-sweet chocolates.

Sharp and stinging bittersweet chocolate (like cocoa powder), alcohol bite, something metallic, and mild roast. Not a lot of complexity, and not a lot of good.

Medium to thick mouthfeel with low carbonation.

Too much alcohol and the chocolate does not come in an accessible, enjoyable form. Too bad.

2.7/5  rDev -34.9%

Pours deep black with little head,The smell of this stout is impressive but the taste eluded me.It reminded me of dark Chocolate cake batter,a strong coffee and everclear,the alcohol was straight up hot,making the drinkability poor,I will put a little age on this one and revisit after proper aging,I may have had a hot bottle

2.7/5  rDev -34.9%

Pours a deep dark black, little to no head, no lacing, just black as night. Smells of chocolate and coffee, maybe some nuts. tastes are muddled, but definitely too much of the burnt coffee present with the taste and dominant in aftertaste. Some chocolaty alcohol in there, but the burnt coffee is too much for me. I gave away 3 of my 6 pack.

2.74/5  rDev -34%

A: black as night rich looking mocha head pretty good looking beer for the style

S: I did not expect this much alcohol on the nose also getting some dark chocolate and some acidity also roasted notes are there as well.

T: Very highly roasted alcohol is there in the taste not masked too well not that much chocolate. Not a smooth beer at all. I can taste some hops as well.

M: Medium body with med carbonation

Overall: There is no chocolate in this beer except chocolate malt I think this beer is a bit misleading. Not too much chocolate taste to the beer either. I also find the beer too roasty for my tastes.

2.76/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

This was my first imperial stout so my review might be a little bit off due to the higher alcohol content.

A: Poured a rich dark mocha 3 finger head. Deep rich black malt. Ultra dark. Head retention is great for such high alcohol content. Lasted long with excellent lacing. By the end the top of the glass still held laced head.

S: Dark chocolate, dark malt, little bit of alcohol. I really like how sweet the dark chocolate smells. Deep rich cocoa that lasts.

T: Deep rich cocoa and dark malts. Alcohol is definitely there and warming. The finish lingers with espresso and cocoa. Not bitter at all. Alcohol flavor really reduces the grade.

M: Creamy but not as much as Guinness. There is a full bodied almost thick and chewy feel but not entirely there. The more is swish it around in my mouth the thicker and more enjoyable the feel is.

D: Although some stouts I really enjoy, this isn't one of them. Making something high alcohol without blending it more the alco flavor is too paramount. The beer flavor should be the high note not the low note against the alcohol. Maybe its me I love the chocolate and espresso notes but the alcohol doesn't make me want to have another.

2.78/5  rDev -33%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

poured into a snifter.

poured like oil. it was black and creamy. had a moderate head that was chocolate brown, lasted a short while, then melted into the beer.

smelled of dark roasted malts loaded with chocolate and coffee. chocolate was the definate leader of the pack with a close finish to the malt then the coffee.

the flavor was filled with bittersweet dark chocolate that was melted over a camp fire, smoke infused.

very full and very thick. was ok, but not a major fan of dark dark chocolate. was a bit hard to handle.

2.79/5  rDev -32.8%

Appearance: 1 inch head, black, with a light cocoa looking head

Smell: burnt malt, sugar, and dark chocolate

Taste: chocolate syrup, burnt malt, and alcohol

Mouthfeel: sweet, dry, full bodied, chalky

Drinkability: One is enough for me, especially with the high ABV. To me this drinks way more like a Baltic Porter than a RIS. It is very sweet, but not in a good way and the alcohol is too pronounced.

2.79/5  rDev -32.8%

Brown lacing atop a jet black brew.

There isn't very much on the nose.

The palate has some cocoa and a wooden hops character. It doesn't seem to go with the style.

The finish is very bitter and not very chocolatey. There is a chalky character from the cocoa?

I found this brew rather disappointing.

2.8/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

2.82/5  rDev -32%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

On tap part of a 6 stout blind taste test. This was second worst. No smell. Strange off flavor of vegetables overpowering the beer. Mouth feel was decent, that's the best I can say.

2.83/5  rDev -31.8%

creamy and milk chocolatey right when the cap is popped...a bit of tobacco and dark stone fruits on the nose.

malty and kinda tangy with bitter chocolate overtones in the mouth...over roasted coffee beans..the odd tanginess is slightly fruity and i feel like it doesn't belong here...long lasting...

as it warms it doesn't get any better...

2.84/5  rDev -31.6%

2.85/5  rDev -31.3%

Split a bottle of this with my husband on 10/1/2011.

Lets start this review with my kind of apology/explanation.

I really do like stouts! I don't always like Russian Imperial Stouts, but generally I do like stouts!

Really!

Ok, here goes:

The appearance was dark black with a slightly tan head. There was more head in my husband's sample glass than in mine, but that happens sometimes.

Scent: dark, acrid, slightly sour. I'm slightly concerned at this point, but my mind is still open.

Sigh, the taste is where I just didn't get it.

Dark dry and musty that fades to a dark very acrid/burnt chocolate. Ends slightly sour on my palate. Not sweet, not sour, really *ashy* like extremely charred coffee.

Body is medium to rich. Very nice texture to it.

I'm not a fan of this beer at all. When I drink overly dark roasted poor quality coffee, I start getting pain in my hands and knees (my bad spots) and this beer flared up these tender/painful points just like overly charred poor quality coffee.

I'm not giving up on the style since generally I like stouts and I like some RIS's, but this is not the beer for me.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery