Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout | Brooklyn Brewery

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Ratings: 6,715 |  Reviews: 2,820
3.99/5  rDev -3.9%

Fresh '10-'11 bottle

Black Chocolate Stout, one of my favorite annual releases, however I'm regretting not setting aside one of last years bottles.

Appearance is pitch black with a no chance of any light permeating through. A moderate coffee colored head makes makes an all too brief showing but leaves behind a healthy looking lace.

Aroma is chock full of chocolate coffee goodness, like a good mocha. A slightly fusely alcoholic presence suggests that this one packs a punch.

Flavor is up front with a robust roasted barley flavor and chocolate malts. Taste is a bit hot with the alcohol, but this should settle down with time.

Mouthfeel is full and smooth. Overally this is a great imperial stout, with an attractive price point compared to many others on the market.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

4.34/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.15/5  rDev 0%

'01-'02: This is the first time I've tried it so I can't compare to previous years. Initial taste is alcoholic, although other flavors quickly surround it upon subsequent sips. Great mouthfeel, heavy but not sluggish; sticky, but not cloying. Head did not last as long as I would have liked. Overall satisfying, though, and I would very much like to shelf it and taste it again down the road.

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bought a couple of 4 packs at Specs in Round Rock for 6.99 each.

Murky black pour...absolutely dark. Thin tan head, specs of spiderweb lacing throughout the drink. Quite lovely.

Smells quite nice. Some bitter, dark chocolate, anise, black cherry, coffee...wonderful combination of scents on this one.

Yum, quite a lot going on here. Taste matches scent...booze is not as prevalent as i thought it might be, but still there for sure. Uber-bitter chocolate on initial sip fades as the beer warms. Man, this is one you want to let sit...take your time with it. Taste mellows a bit.

Wow...this is an f'ing smooth beer! Goes down so easy...very lightly carbonated...perfect mouth-feel for a big stout. Booze is just a bit noticeable though...the only real flaw. No big deal though.

Very high marks on this one...priced well below market, super smooth, tasty stout. A certain go to during the cold months. Warms the soul. Great job Brooklyn!

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

This pours black with a nice two finger tan head that dissipates into an island and a ring with no lacing. On the nose there is dark chocolate and espresso, pretty standard, but lurking under are some figs or other dark fruit that kind of set this apart within the genre for me. In the mouth the chocolate asserts itself most with the dark fruit and espresso coming in underneath, maybe some caramelized sugar too. There is a prickly mouthfeel that works really well with the big body. For a big stout this is quite drinkable, a very good example of the style with some nice stuff going on behind the ubiquitous coffee/chocolate.

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Winter 03-04 update.. the scores don't change still solid and comforting. A little more nose with a slightly sweeter carmel backbone. The rest remains the same. One of the best beers for the $ I have ever found... a steal at $25.99 a case.

Slight smell of roast cocoa and hops along with a slight tingle of ABV in the sinus. Big black opeque brew with a thick lasting creamy brown head. This head is sticky and lasting. Big expresso, bitter chocolate, and bitter hops taste. Big, full, smooth mouth with a dry finish. Complex bold taste in layers on the tongue. If you have not noticed in this review the key term here is BIG. It almost overwhelmes but does not. Great tasting, great looking, great beer! I will cellar one if these Winter 02-03...

4.77/5  rDev +14.9%

When I pour a beer, and I smell a wine like smell, it's going to be something special. Few beers I've tried have smelled that way, and when they do, man, they rate high.

This poured perfectly black with a slight head that left a bit around the glass. It's black. No light came through. Outstanding. Smelling this was wonderful, with winey notes, dark malt, and chocolate. Damn. Then, for mouthfeel, I had a hard time rating this beer because I kept swallowing. All I can say is, wow. It will make you drink rather than swish.

Taste: What can I say. I'm wowed by this. There are so many different flavors, perfectly balanced, this is outstanding. Dark roasted malt, deep chocolate flavor and winey alcoholic notes.

The bonus, the first stout I'll give a 5 for drinkability. This would be a beer I could enjoy with food, with good friends, over a good video , anything. Highly reccommended when it's available. It doesn't suffer from the "bottled stout" syndrome. The flavors are fresh tasting as any. I want to sample other Brooklyn beers now. Bravo.

4.02/5  rDev -3.1%

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout...

Appearance-Pitch black color, sticky fizz hits the sides of the glass, doesn't rise that high, but carbonation is still there.

Smell-A barrage of scents, chocolate, coffee, sweet malt, hops, alcohol notes, everything but the kitchen sink.

Taste/Mouthfeel- Lots of sweetness up front and then the flavors kick in, sticky malt adds a rich taste, chocolate flavor certainly dominates, decently smooth, probably would be even smoother if given more time to age.

Drinkability-great with the mint cake I paired it with, makes a nice night-cap drink. Very alcoholic, but that's expected for the style.

Overall-A very good RIS with great flavor, not necessarily out of this world and not my favorite, but it's a well done version of the style and certainly worth a try.

3.8/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.39/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Winter 03-04 edition, reviewed January 2006

Pours opaque, black and thick looking, with a thinnish dark tan head that quickly fizzes away into nothingness. The aroma is surprisingly sweet and chocolatey -- it's amazing that they can accomplish this with malts alone! Flavors hits with a huge roasted malt flavor right from the start. It becomes a bit sweeter mid-palate, with something of a milky texture on the tongue, and finally blends (ever-so-smoothly) into a roasty and moderately hopped finish, leaving a nice tingly feeling on the tongue. Subtle in its graduations of flavor, this is a surprisingly complex beer that has stood the test of time well, without sacrificing anything in the way of drinkability. Yummy.

3.7/5  rDev -10.8%

served into a nonic,think i'll try a snifter next time,poured from a 12oz. brown long neck bottle with a crimped on cap, top of label marked 06-07.

Opaque,black as coal,with a dense,creamy mocha head,good retention,clinging,sticking down the sides of the glass.

First wiff at blast of alcohol,very chocolatly/roasty a bit nutty with a very burnt aroma,a very malty nose.

Syrupy,malty,very roasty and chocolaty reminisent of strong black coffee,intense chocolate tastes,a warming alcohol presense,finishing with a clean,sharp,dry bitterness with a sweet malty taste lingering on the palate.

A good thick,chewy mouthfeel,this beer gets better as it warms,drinking this beer is like drinking your desert. One beer at a time for me on this one.
I drink this beer every year,a must try beer every year for me.

12oz bottle, Bruery tulip, 2010-11 issue. Thank you drabmuh, this was something I really wanted to try.

I cannot see through this beer. It looks a bit oily, and very black. There was a quarter inch of head from the pour, though it quickly retreated, giving me only a small, oily ring of dark brown bubbles.

The nose is slightly charred malt, plump dark fruit, brown sugar or treacle sweetness, graham cracker, and only hints of dark chocolate. Slight solvent as it warms.

While I didn't get the famed alcohol heat in the nose, it shows up once I've taken a sip. Bitter cocoa, the charred malt, graham cracker, bitter and only slightly hot alcohol are evidenced in the beer. The dark fruit quotient is much lower here. Solvent creeps up as it warms.

The mouthfeel is medium-full with a slickness that seems to come from the copious alcohol and eventually a bit of tongue numbing from it. Small bubbles lend it a creaminess too.

For all the stories about this beer often being very hot fresh and even aged I think it's rather tame. I even think this vintage is quite drinkable for a 10% beer. I'd buy it if I was in market.

2011-12 Bottle on 7/8/12
There is more chocolate and alcohol in the nose for this year. Otherwise, wonderful and better than I remember.

2013-14 Bottle on 11/30/13
Rich, stark chocolate with little to no booze in the nose even this young. Definitely some in the taste as well as rich ripe fruits.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

4.29/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.11/5  rDev -1%

12 ounce bottle. 08-09 vintage per neck label. Thanks go to DrewOSU for leaving this one in my fridge!

Pours a thick, super dark, opaque brown with a gorgeously thick and dark tan head. Fantastic coating of the foam along the sides of my pint glass.

The nose is surprisingly lighter than I was expecting. I get sweet caramel, chocolate and faint hops.

Ahh, the taste is much larger than the nose. A gentle, sweet mix of milk chocolate, caramel, dark chocolate and coffee grounds collide in the front of the tasting. This is wonderfully smooth and not too sweet. I get a faint brushing of vegetable-like/hoppy bitterness on the finish with a surprisingly high amount of carbonation...

The mouthfeel is velvet and thick.

Very easy to sip and savor this one. Recommended!

3.84/5  rDev -7.5%

32oz growler from New Beer.

Began prepping for a little stout tasting tomorrow. Have plenty of this aging/dying in the basement, but I don't recall having one in a couple years actually. Don't drink too many stouts willingly. I'm trying to get the taste back for this style, but it's been pretty sticky out here with the on & off rain. Maybe not the best time for a growler of motor oil, but I'm not working tomorrow. :)

Pint glass pour. Inky black, with a tall, slowly receding, sandy tan head.

Smell is of baby powder(?) & really dark, rich chocolate. An indication of butter cookies & less noticeable macerated cherries come through. Butter is not something I recall. Nothing very intense, except for the expected alcoholic fumes.

Taste is creamy with lactose & more residual sweetness then I last remember. Not quite velvety though. That rides for a while before the middle-end, which turns quite bitter with roast & light coffee grounds. Finish is full of bitter, leafy greens & soy ink(think licking your fingers after thoroughly flipping through the NY Times). Carbonation is subtle, but I can feel it trying. Alcohol is so obvious. A very stout beer.

Tasted like a sweet stout to me. Not what I believe it is in the bottle(or it could of just been tweaked again), but I just might like this version a little better. Actually added 5oz to a little cake batter earlier, so I could be burping this up by the time I'm chewing on that. :D

4.17/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottle to Snifter. Served at cellar temp.

Pours a completely opaque jet black with a 1 finger khaki coloured head that leaves thin, spider leg-like lace across the glass.

Big dark chocolate, dark fruits, dry espresso, black licorice, and alcohol dominate the nose with a few loaves of bread stuffed in between. The nose makes me want to eat this stuff rather than drink it.

Smooth and rich dark chocolate, roasted malts, very light dark fruits, all capped off by a dry and bitter espresso like finish and a noticeable but not offending warming alcohol presence, which both work together to compliment the sweet chocolate notes.

Slick, smooth, and coats the mouth. Excellent level of carbonation. Not as intense as other RIS's I've had, making this a nice drinker.

Overall, an excellent beer from Brooklyn, and the best RIS (based on the few that I've had) I've had yet. I can see why this style of beer takes a such a prominent seat in the ratings on this site.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery