Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout | Brooklyn Brewery

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Reviews: 2,787 | Ratings: 6,569
3.65/5  rDev -12%

This beer poured a deep dark black with a nice head. The head slowly diminished, leaving a nice lacing that remained for the duration. The aroma was filled with roasted malts and chocolate. The taste was true to the aroma as it was also a nice combination of dark roasted malts and a dark chocolate. The drawback here is that the chocolate taste is overwhelming and it takes away from any of the other flavors that are hidden in there. The mouthfeel was relatively thick and heavy but the drinkability was good. Overall, this would make an excellent desert beer but I couldn't see drinking a couple of these over the course of an evening.

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

This is my first review of this style of beer. 05/06, received as part of Birthday BIF (1), thanks to froggyfrog.

Poured at cellar temperature into my Sweetwater pint glass.

A - Black, pitch black. Like used motor oil. Like octopus ink. Like the absence of light. Really dark. Am I getting through to you?
Very little head. What little there was was a caramel brown.

S - Wow! No mystery with this one. C-H-O-C-O-L-A-T-E. The only other aroma I caught at first was a whiff of bourbon. As the glass lowers, a dark plum/cherry/molasses melange arises.

T - See the caps above. Also a strong coffee presence. The alcohol is there as well, to me more in the stomach than in the mouth or nose.

M - Smooth and creamy, we like smooth and creamy. Just enough bitterness to make you want to get more liquid on your tongue.

D - As a novice to this style, I'm not certain what makes a stout drinkable. As a lover of this particular beer however, there is no mystery whatsover.

An excellent beer. It's the coldest night of the year so far here in Northern Illinois. I have a nice fire going, it was my day off, and this is one fine way to spend the evening. I am looking forward to a Winter filled with beers of this style. I only hope I can match the impression this one has made on me.

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

Limited Bottling - Winter 09/10

Appearance - Burnt Caramel, Ruby, Amber, colour. Good smoke from bottle. Little head retention. Light carbonation.

Smell - Oranges, Coffee, Sweet Malt, Whiskey, Kinder chocolate

Taste - Well balanced, tangy with dark rich coffee and chocolate flavors. Hints of rhubarb, banana, blackberry and raisin. Smooth, mild bitterness with some tangy malt in the after taste. Quite sweet and fruity with burnt overtones. Moderate alcohol presence.

Mouthfeel - Rich and creamy with crisp carbonation.

Drinkability - Good beer, love the coffee and chocolate over tones. Moderate weight, maybe 4 pints would be the limit. Really like it, would have more of this

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

Reviewed from notes of 3.12.11

Received this bottle from my friend Kaman in a 6 pack grab. 2010-11 Batch.

A = Velvet black color with visions of deep red. Strong 2 finger head. Liquor like lace. Good carbonation.

S = Chocolate, anise, and malted milk balls.

T = Roased malt, red velvet cake (minus the frosting) and malted chocolate milk balls.

M = Creamy on the front and back end. Strong black licorice, dry finish.

O = I am a big fan of chocolate stouts and this one rates up there. Very drinkable. I would proudly serve this to my best friends. This is the kind of craft beer that Brooklyn Brewery does well compared to some of their other concoctions.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This chocolate stout retains bitter and earthy flavors. Not as "chocolaty" as some others I've tried recently, which I actually prefer. Spicy, meaty, and smokey. Think mole rather than Mars Bar. Not my favorite offering by Brooklyn Brewery. I absolutely adore Local 2 which is one of my favorite beers but this is certainly interesting and complex.

3.94/5  rDev -5.1%

Presentation - 12 oz bottle with "Limited Bottling - Winter '04-'05" label on it. I am drinking it in the March of '05.

Appearence - Poars very dark. Small, but tight, tawny head that dissipates fairly fast but leaves a nice lace on the glass.

Smell - light fusel alcohol aroma. faintly fruity odor that reminds me of currants or perhaps a brandy/port type beverage.

Taste - up front, is much like dark chocolate in its bitterness and slight fruity tartness, reminding me of rasberry, though I doubt they actually used rasberry in this brew. also some spicy alcohol notes. interesting in that it remains quite tart in the mouth but some hoppy bitterness clings to the lips. changes character quite a bit towards the end, revealing a lot of roasted malts and sweet notes. overall, quite complex and a nice warming feeling down the throat. nonetheless, this is not the best I have had, though that may owe to personal taste rather than anything inherent in the quality of the beer.

Mouthfeel - fairly mild carbonation. otherwise, nothing particularly special, although it certainly feels lighter bodied than its appearance would have suggested.

Drinkability - the tartness and the alcohol in this beer really catch up to you fast. Had this previously as part of a drinking "session" and did not appreciate it as much...nor did my stomach. i suggest it be drank in the same 'limited' way that it is bottled.

Final Notes - There is no reason not to try this beer and I very much enjoyed it. However, other imperial stouts are better, however, in particular I would recommend Weyerbacher's Heresy.

3.9/5  rDev -6%

Definitely interesting for a 2x stout. Hardly got any fruit out of it, but no alcohol, so definitely drinkable.

Dark black with a moderate tan head that was soon nowhere to be seen--the usual.

Smell and taste were basically the same for me on this one: smoke, molasses, chocolate, expresso. Some slight strawberries on tasting. No hops that I could detect... Bitterness mostly from burnt and roasted malt. Aftertaste was slightly astringent and unpleasant at times.

Very full and satisfyingly chewy mouthfeel. Great drinkability for such a beer.

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

Beautiful beer. Sampled this beer at Tria and from the moment the server began the pour (from a good distance away) I could smell the complexity. Actually caught a whiff of bananas which didn't resurface again...

Foamy cappucino colored head when poured that dissipated relatively quickly. What was left was a very dark brown beer, almost but not quite black. First of all, I have to say that this beer is a mouthfull. The body is wonderfully thick without being the least bit syrupy. Strong accents of chocolate and coffee augment the rich roasted malt flavors. The high alcohol wasn't obvious to me. Fairly bitter aftertaste. Very nice interpretation of the style.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Winter 06-07 Bottle to Tulip Glass (no freshness date)

Chocolatey Alcohol Scent. Tan head with great retention/lacing. Taste and mouthfeel are remarkable. Love the sweet alcohol taste with a hint of bitterness. A more drinkable version of the World Wide Stout.

4.5's across the board.

4.37/5  rDev +5.3%

Decided to try it, poured a 12 OZ into a pint glass...gorgeous, sipping it as I write the review.

A: Very dark with a mocha colored head, 1 inch that quickly gave way to a tiny head.

S: Heavy roasted coffee followed with a heavy alcohol presence, didn't notice too much chocolate. Heavy malt, no hops what so ever.

T: Like a mix of Baker's chocolate, dark chocolate, with a coffee aftertaste. In that aftertaste there is the alcohol, which I think with this brew is like 10%, pretty heavy. Definitely a "dessert" beer. The alcohol is heavy but not in the same sense that it is in say, an Imperial Stout...

M: Extremely rich, like eating a cheesecake with fudge. Reminds me of a dessert mixed drink, heavy in alcohol and heavy in chocolate.

D: I think I will have these one at a time. Way to much alcohol to have "a few." Enjoy this brew after a meal, and be careful this beer will sneek up on you. An alcoholic dessert...

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

This is a beer from the 2008-09 winter bottling.

A- Pours a thick bodied stout with a slight thick brown head. Similar to some other Imperial style stouts. The carbonation waits until the end of the pour to raise the bubbles and head.

S - A nice smell - not strong, soft mild malty smell - almost like chocolate. Lives up to the name.

Taste - The taste is surprisingly mellow. LOTS of malty chewy goodness. No over the top burnt black patent flavor, which is a nice surprise. As the liquid warms the flavors evolve. There is a definite sweetness that rounds out the dark malt and roasted flavors. You can't really notice the hops, but they must be in there to add to the balance. Initial sip has some alcohol hotness - however by the second sip the overall balance covers that up. The aftertaste may be the best part - leaves the taste of the malts in between your teeth and on your tongue. Yummy.

M - Great mouthfeel as long as you like them chewy. Really - I like beers of substance and this one has it. It is almost like dessert, but a fine one at that. Thick but smooth like a well made mousse that slides down and coats you with velvet.

D - Ok so I started the with a 3.5 becuase it is so stong, but since the beer is now more than 50 % consumed it easy easy for me to drink. Not that one should drink too many of these at 10%ABV... But I think I could.

This is a beer from the 2008-09 winter bottling.
This may have added to its pleasantness since these types of beers take to maturation well.

This is the second time I had this beer, and I liked it even more the second time around. Great Job BB!

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Special thanks to RblWthACoz for the Beers!!

Pours black with excellent dense creamy head. Great retention with nice lacing.

Nice aroma of malt, licorice and alcohol.

Exceptional balance for a 10.6% alcohol!! Molasses & licorice up front with alcohol & bitter chocolate finish.

If you are a brewer and looking for mouthfeel, try to imitate this beer. Exceptional mouthfeel!! Very smooth and velvety. Did I say exceptional?? Exquisite is more like it!

I am not sure how many of these I could drink but I'm sure a six-pack would go down great!!

Excellent!! I love this beer.

Thanks again to RblWthACoz for the excellent trade!!

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Drank a winter 07/08 served in a tulip

A - Thick black color, light head settled on top.

S - roasted malts, coffee, dark chocolate, mocha, strong smells

T - Strong Dark chocolate and roasted malts. ligth coffee,

M - Hot beer, alcohol still seems to come through although its been aged almost a year. Good beer viscous.

D - alcohol comes through even after aging. good beer high 10.6 ABV gives a lower mark.

Good beer, its alcohol still comes through in aging. Waiting for the 08/09 winter release to do a side by side.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

great beer, realtively new to brooklyn and russian imperial stouts. appearance is night black, looks like dark roast coffee, with a nice off white brown head. the head sticks around and laces the glass quite well. lots of great sweet and marlty flavors in the nose. great great flavors, the taste is without a doubt my favorite aspect of this beer. the alcohol is very present, along with the dark, bittersweet flavor of unsweetened chocolates and malts. great beer. only could drink a few or so, but the mouthfeel is super smooth and silky. awesome beer.

4.49/5  rDev +8.2%

Served in stemless wineglass-instead of snifter

Beautiful thick Head that shrinks, but does not disappear. Great Lacing throughout.

A very impressive dark chocolate nose. Much more chocolate smell than most other chocolate stouts on the market. After that first smell your taste buds really start to go crazy, wanting to know what they are in store for next!

And those taste buds are not disappointed. Obviously a chocolaty creamy flavor right off the bat. Has Just enough bitterness to keep it from being too sweet. Maybe a hint of vanilla as well with the chocolate.

very smooth and silky on the tongue and down the throat as well, I tiny burn from the alcohol but nothing like most beers 10% or higher.

If my body would let me I could drink these all night long, but I am sure I would not make it very far into the evening after the second or third. Great to sip on after a big meal or a long night at work!

Excellent!

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Talk about a stout. This is truly one to throw you over the hill. High alcohol content, high roasted coffee undertones, and about as black as the night.

Smell wise, it smells as if you were baking a coffee infused chocolate cake. It is very roasty and smells quite sweet, which when you taste it, is quite different. It is a drier taste, with a very strong cacao-coffee taste. On the back end of it you can definitely taste the alcohol, and lets you know what you are dealing with. It is a heavy drink, but not very syrupy by any means. The head has a real nice brownish hue to it, and makes for a great sit-back-and-relax beer. It is exactly as advertised, heavy, chocolatey, and a spicy stout that is definitely worth your time devoted to it.

4.21/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a dark brow, minimal brown head fades quickly. Smells of bitter chocolate. Flavor is bitter chocolate, dark fruits. Bitter finish. Expected this to be sweeter. Big warming finish. Very well done.

Pours black, as black should be.
A light head forms, a rather good looking beer.

The smell obviously gives off some chocolate and dark malts. Very pleasant to the nose.

This has a great smoothness on the tongue. This is a great texture, however personally, I think (especially with the abv) this could stand just a little more "chew".

The taste is a very balanced chocolate, nothing overpowering here, though more chocolate than some others who claim it in their name.

Goes down great, even with the potency, I could take down
3 pretty easily, without getting bored.

I still have some 03's and 04's, I'm really looking forward to.

4.56/5  rDev +9.9%

This was a gift from a friend, and came highly recommended...Poured into my favorite pint glass with a wonderfully dark color...nowhere near transparent...chocolate colored creamy head. I enjoyed this brew with a piece of chocolate to enhance the flavor of the chocolate notes. Not as chocolately as Rogue's Chocolate Stout, but the subtleness of the cocoa made it that much more enjoyable. At the higher end of ABV that I prefer but it was not noticeable and didn't detract from the flavor. If you're a true stout fan....check it out if you come across it.

Just got my first sixer of 06-07 before it was supposed to be released and I can't wait to age it a little bit to enhance all those awesome flavors

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a deep black, with a small reddish head that leaves very little lacing.

Alcohol smell is prevalent. Some malt nd yeast notes, with a hint of coffee.

Great taste. The alcohol hits first and the subtle caramel and chocolate notes linger in the aftertaste.

Very smooth, lightly carbonated.

While it is delicious and very drinkable, it is a tad on the heavy side and the 10+ abv makes this a better sipping or dessert beer. Can't imagine drinking more than two of these at a sitting.

A very good stout that I will seek out again.

2.86/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Let me start off by saying I am one of many who didn't fall in love with this beer. Perhaps it was the hype. I read so many positive posts and talked to my beer guy, thought it was going to be gold in a bottle.
A- Poured a dark black, with a nice head that faded quickly. The head was chocolate brown in color that had minimal lacing. I was very excited to taste based on looks.
S- Smelled of hazy chocolate in the distance, however more roasted malts, and of alcohol.
T- The taste was a bit surprising in the sense that it had a lot less chocolate that I had anticipated. I wasn't expecting chocolate milk, but it was totally over powered by the strong alcoholic smell.
M- It wasn't bad in the mouth, but the alcohol was too strong. Laced the mouth and stuck around in the throat.
D- I think if I was more into sipping, which this beer is intended for, it may be nicer. I didn't chug it, but I may have sipped too frequently to let my pallet adjust. I have 5 more to try and get it right.
Overall, I think I'll stick with the hoppy kick that I've been on, and leave this behind.

Footnote- The second was nicer, a klittle more gentle, and enjoyed a little more.

4.31/5  rDev +3.9%

A: Thick black color. Didn't get much foam, which was surprising

S: Chocolate

T: A hopsy taste with a chocolate after taste. Not bitter as I had expected.

M: Smooth, but perhaps too little carbonation.

D: A nice experience. What I was looking for out of this type of beer.

2.83/5  rDev -31.8%

creamy and milk chocolatey right when the cap is popped...a bit of tobacco and dark stone fruits on the nose.

malty and kinda tangy with bitter chocolate overtones in the mouth...over roasted coffee beans..the odd tanginess is slightly fruity and i feel like it doesn't belong here...long lasting...

as it warms it doesn't get any better...

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

i love this beer and seek it out every year. its thick and oh so rich. of course it's chocolisious. it even has a great after taste that lingers for a while.....not to mention one helluva bite. if you don't like this beer you don't like this style of beer.it's a Padron anniversary 26 maduro of 'beers'

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours very thick, dark black with a brown creamy head. Smells and taste of rich roasted malt with hints of cocoa and coffee. If this brew contained a stronger hop presence it would rival Storm King.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery