Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout | Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery
New York, United States
brooklynbrewery.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

This is the famous Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. In the 18th century, Catherine the Great, Empress of Russia, ordered a stout to be sent to her from England. This beer was brewed strong and hoppy to survive the sea voyage, and it arrived in perfect condition. Soon "Russian Imperial Stout" became the toast of the Russian aristocracy. Brewed since 1994, our Black Chocolate Stout has itself become a modern classic, heralded the world over. It achieves its dark chocolate aroma and flavor through the artful blending of six malts and three distinct mashes. Properly kept, it will improve in the bottle for many years. This stout is the toast of the winter season in many countries, and there is nothing better to enjoy with chocolate desserts, cheesecake, ice cream, fine cheeses and roaring fireplaces.

Given this beer’s higher ABV and sturdy character, we think it’s a prime candidate for cellaring. Find a cool, dry spot away from light sources, and see how it changes in the years to come. You never quite know what will happen when you age a beer: perhaps the body will smooth out, notes of vanilla, oak, and tannins will come to the front, or hints of leather and soy sauce will make themselves known. No matter what, remember that beer is meant for drinking, so don’t keep it to yourself for too long.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Ratings: 6,767 |  Reviews: 2,837

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours pitch black and a little thick with a tall head of mocha colored foam that fell slowly and looked so creamy. Left a nice cap and ring and plenty of shimmering lace. Nose is milky smooth with luscious chocolate. Decadent and a little boozy. Bold espresso and some mild dark fruit. Deep sweet roasted malt. The coffee is so fresh, touch of vanilla. Taste is scrumptious. As if you had fresh roasted espresso beans dipped in bittersweet chocolate. The palate bends to the dark will of this beer. The chocolate continues to send ribbons of it's bouquet to the nose. The dark fruit accents the roasted malt bitter and the malt is nutty like pecans. Warming alcohol and vanilla in the dry finish. Mouthfeel is full and smooth.

Strong flavors in this one that satisfy with every sip. Creamy like a milkshake with rich and complex flavors that area delight to behold in the glass. Although the chocolate is rich, it's the roasted malt that is the star of this show with it's pecan accents and molasses like smoothness. This is a new favorite.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

3.72/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Before I say anything, I need to say I got a case of this discounted because it's currently July 2013 and this is a winter style beer. I've seen this case in the distributor for months. They had it in the cooler for less that $30 so I figured I'd try it out. I like a good stout, even if it is hotter than hell outside. With that said, this beer is old, expired, and out-dated. Personally, I don't care.

A: Poured cold bottle into a glass, almost black with a very small head, very little carbonation left.

S: Smelled from the bottle before I poured it, strong acidic, alcohol and dark roasted malts, some chocolate, mostly bitter and alcoholic.

T: Almost knocked me out. Very strong, bitter, almost burnt flavor with extreme dark chocolate. I imagine if you ate an 80% cacao chocolate bar, it would be on that level of chocolate. Very alcoholic up front as well, taste more like an aged chocolate malt wine than a beer, but this is a stout, so I wasn't disappointed.

M: Not something you would grab to quench your thirst. Very heavy, barely any carbonation (again, this is old beer). Strong after-feel in the throat. I hate to put it like this, but I swear I mean it with the most respect and in the best way, it's like a night time syrup/elixir. Not like cough medicine, but it's thick and the alcohol content makes me, personally, drowsy. The best word I can think for mouthfeel and feeling in general is "thick". I took a nap after my first beer.

O: If I had tried this before, I never would've got a case. That's 24 of these bad dogs. I wasn't even thinking about alcoholic content when I got it. I'm still used to thinking all stouts are like Guinness; barely any alcohol content. After my Victory Brewing Imperial Stout experience, I realized stouts are highly alcoholic and are not the "thirst quenching" beer. On the bright side, this is very good beer, even though it's old. I never did find a date, but I remember this being in the store for at least 4 months and I remind you, it's July 2013. All the label on the bottle says is "Limited brewing 12-13"so it was brewed last winter, since winter '13 hasn't yet passed. This would be nice to enjoy during it's seasonal run, on tap, with friends. One is all you need, remember, this is beer fit for royalty.

3.25/5  rDev -21.7%

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a luxurious black with a small tan head.

Smell is lots of milk and dark chocolate. Bit of roast and caramel.

Taste is very mellow, creamy, vanilla, caramel, and chocolate. All mixed together very well, create a perfect balance. No alcohol presence.

Only downside is a slight astringent after taste. Damned good beer.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%