Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout | Brooklyn Brewery

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Ratings: 6,681 |  Reviews: 2,811
4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

This was my first Russian Imperial Stout.

Appearance - dark, almost black.Thick, creamy head that persisted to the bottom of the glass. Foam was pleasantly dark colored.

Aroma - the alcohol hit first, then malty/chocolaty, then a hit of smokiness and possibly a hint of anise/licorice note.

Drinking - expected heavy mouthfeel and found it surprisingly refreshing and clean. Slight bitter hit at the end. Complex flavors - a little chocolate, definite malts, maybe a hint of vanilla that wasn't in the aroma (for me). Not as "hevay" overall as I expected, but a very pleasant, drinkable beer.

Enjoyable and I will purchase more (to me, that is the real test).

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

4.17/5  rDev +0.5%

12oz bottle dated Winter 10-11. Poured into a snifter. Thank you very much azdback for this bottle!

The head is about 1 1/2 fingers high, darker shade of tan, and creamy. Recedes after a while, leaves some decent lace. The beer is a deep black chocolate, hmmm.

The aroma is quite nice with lots of velvety, rich, roasted malts, bittersweet chocolate, strong dark coffee, darker fruits like figs/plums/raisins (almost rum soaked raisins) in the background, notes of smoke or ash but in a good/complimentary way. Faint hint of marshmallow in the background as well.

The taste is very nice as well. Much of the same - smooth and rich malts, a roasted quality that is wonderfully impressive, strong coffee, bittersweet chocolate, marshmallow, hints of dark fruits, even cherries, and the smoke/ash from the nose.

The consistency is silky or velvety, the carbonation is medium, maybe a bit lower, the body is moderate, and the finish is nice and smooth.

Overall this is very good RIS in my opinion. Probably within my top 5 of RISs. The aroma makes for a buildup and I'm not quite sure the taste can deliver. But surprisingly it does and then some. The taste is wonderful, rivaling some of favorite RISs. Great beer that I'll have to look into cellaring some more of.

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

Served from a 12 oz. bottle into a Chimay goblet.

Appears really really dark but not in my official "dark as night" category. There's a very small filmy foam on top.

Smells of dark roast coffee and bittersweet chocolate. The 10% abv stings the nostrils a bit.

Tastes similar to smell but I pick up a bit of anise. There's a subtle hop bitterness that comes at the end but it's hard to get past any flavor tones other than the chocolate malt.

Mouthfeel is a tiny bit underwhelming in my opinion. For a 10% RIS I was expecting something more heavy duty on the tongue.

Overall I was hoping for more. I haven't had this in a few years but remember it as darker. I guess I'm just jaded and have a palate ready to drink concrete at this point.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

4.07/5  rDev -1.9%

pours as black as can be, letting zero light through and with a frothy mocha head. smells like a white russian to be honest, milky and boozy, sweet. has an interesting chocolate taste to it, very very rich, and bittersweet at the end. my brother described it as "if hershey's special dark was even more special". there really is no other way to describe the chocolate in this beer, its s interesting. insanely strong beer that doesnt hide it particularly well, but i dont think it makes apologies for that. mouthfeel was heavyish, hard to drink a lot of beers with such little carbonation and heavy bodies, but a great holiday sipper.

edit: best consumer fresh, or relatively fresh. we opened a bottle from 2008 last night and it was way past its prime, thinned out and lacking the depth that makes this a classic. dont forget about this one in the cellar.

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

I picked up a couple of these bottles in a create your own craft pack. I usually love everything from Brooklyn Brewery, and was looking to foward to tasting this.

A- A dark black color with a dark brown head.

S- I can smell the alcohol with a hint of chocolate.

T- A dark chocolate bitter flavor.

M- A thick and creamy feeling.

O- It tastes a little more bitter than I expected, but I'm not disappointed.

3.74/5  rDev -9.9%

I poured this from a 12 oz bottle to a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. This imperial stout was pitch black with a thick light brown head that faded to a thin lacing. I didnt get much of a smell from this. Faint scent of chocolate and alcohol. The taste is similar to the smell, it has a high boozy flavor. I like this beer, but i thought i would like it more. I didnt taste the chocolate i expected .

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed this 12oz bottle out of a large snifter glass.

A: Pours a dark black with a thick dark brown 3-finger head that last forever, leaves a great trail down the glass and eventually ends in a persistent lace.

S: Strong roasted malt aroma with a good chocolate backbone. Some mild

T: Smooth, dark, rich ale with a general sweetness and a great roasted malt chocolate background. Strong chocolate and coffee overtones and a alcoholic bite.

M: Very strong and boozy. Medium body and heavy carbonation.

O: Awesome imperial stout. A nice sipping beer @ 10 % alcohol by volume. This beer would have been if I had aged it for a while – but very tasty nonetheless.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery