Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout | Brooklyn Brewery

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Ratings: 6,681 |  Reviews: 2,811

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

I poured it into a mug and waited for this one to warm up. I am reviewing my last one of 12 (3 4 packs)

A: black of course, with some creamy white head. No lacing I noticed.

S: at 51f, its boozy, coffee like hits the nose. Some caramel and chocolate also. Some dark fruit like currants, almost quad like. ok even at 60f not much changed.

T: lots of sharp black coffee and chocolate, with a nice burst of booze. no hops detected. Smooth, almost Bourbon like. Rich sweet candy like malt flavors.

M: a tad oily, low carbonation, medium to thin body.

O: I really enjoyed this beer, and since I am out of beer after this one, I hope there is still some left at the tw. I really think this ris is one of the best ever. So happy the local tw had a big pallet of these left. So I bought 2 cases!!! Merry xmas and Happy new year. lol

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

3.43/5  rDev -17.3%

Winter 11-12 vintage on the label

A= Pours a deep black color with a tiny layer of head on it that rises and falls with relative ease. The color of the head is a nice tan color and there is a surprising amount of lacing for the little amount of head on it.

S= The smell doesn't carry as much weight on it as I would have expected. There is a definiate chocolate note in it as well as some sweet dark fruit in the nose but not nearly as intense as I would expect from a RIS. A nice sweetness to it that I expect will balance the chocolate bitterness.

T= The taste brings together my suspicion of sweetness balanced by bitter chocolate. The chocolate plays the dominate role for sure with this one and the sweetness takes the back seat. I almost feel like there may be a hop bitterness as well but I'm sure it is just misunderstood chocolate. There is also a nice roast character that I didn't pick up in the nose and the sticky sweetness I smelled is dying by the second. There is a little alcohol in the taste but nothing to deter the deliciously powerful taste.

M= The mouth on it is a little light. Not as heavy as the typical RIS that's for sure.

O= This is a quality beer that's for sure. It isn't what I expected from the hype however. I like the beer a lot and I would buy it several times over but I guess I expected something more after hearing about it so much. A thicker mouth may change my mind and do it justice but until then it is what it is.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

A: Pours a pitch black with a solid full finger of mocha head. The foam clears in a moderate amount of time. There is a some thin lacing as it drinks, but this brew doesn't have a ton of legs.

S: This beer smells of raisins, milk chocolate, roasted malt, and brownie batter. There is very little alcohol in the nose for a 10% beer, but then again, it is a stout.

T: Starts off with a quick hit of raisin, but shifts swiftly into the velvety chocolate and roast malt characteristics that I picked up in the nose. The high ABV comes through for only a second as this beer transitions into the finish. I'm then greeted by more raisin and smooth melted chocolate.

M: Full bodied beer. It's sweet and silky from start to finish. There is a bit of cloying stickiness, but it's not offensive. Really pleasant.

O: I think this is a great late season seasonal beer. Actually... I feel like this could be an all-weather beer if Brooklyn wanted it to be. The flavors and feel of this beer are spot on.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

4.36/5  rDev +5.1%

Bottle poured in to a pint glass

Pitch black through the entire glass. Small head that dissipated quickly into a tan collar with a thin film of bubbles on the surface.

Malts, slight alcohol and a touch of dark chocolate. Maybe a bit of apple on the second smell. Cocoa is definitely coming through on this whiff.

I taste the coffee and dark chocolate. The flavor is very complex. I notice a bit of toasted marshmallow. Delicious.

Mouth is thick an carbonated if that is possible.

This is a great beer that I will look forward to ever year. The chocolate flavor reallly comes through in both the nose and taste.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

A- Very dark with no transparency. Tan head that stays around.

S- Roasted malts with a slight hint of chocolate and maybe some toffee.

T- Very malty with hints of chocolate. The malt definitely dominates with the chocolate mostly coming from the dark malts. Some hop flavor actually came through which is surprising for an imperial stout. Only a slight alcohol note.

M- Smooth and creamy, full of flavor but very drinkable.

O- Not as chocolately as I was expecting, but a great beer with uniqueness and great drinkability.

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

I was really excited to bring this one home, right after the pour I could tell I was going to enjoy this it.

A - black like motor oil with a thick creamy mocha head, great looking beer
S - a malty sweet dark chocolate
T - alcohol upfront but not bad for 10%, roasted malty goodness, barky dark chocolate
M - smooth but not overly thick
O - overall a great IRS, really enjoyable beer!

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

I love this beer and was surprised to see that I hadn't reviewed it. Thanks to OKComputer for popping open a bottle to rectify that situation. Poured into snifter and served alongside a homemade Old Rasputin brownie.

Poured black, with just a thin cap of brown head that had good retention and light lacing. The aroma is a wonderful blend of chocolate and malt. Only the slightly overpowering alcohol scent detracted from the olfactory joy.

On the tongue, the story was the same. Big, solid base malts supporting just enough chocolate to satisfy this choco-holic. The body is appropriately full and smooth, but again the alcohol presence took a bit of the happy away. Drinkability is dangerously excellent. I have drank 2 22oz bottles in a sitting before (and I rarely have more than a pint of any 1 brew at a time) and will happily drink this beer most any time. Overall, a true classic of a beer. A must try if you haven't.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery