Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout | Brooklyn Brewery

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Ratings: 6,681 |  Reviews: 2,811
4.29/5  rDev +3.4%

#87. Brooklyn Brewery's Black Chocolate Stout is a pretty popular RIS. Having never tried it before, I was excited to find a single for a fairly reasonable price at the local bottle shop. This is a limited bottling - Winter 10-11. It took a long time to warm to a decent temperature!

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass at room temp.

(Appearance) Pours a two finger depth milk-chocolate tone head with a frothy, airy appearance. Retention is about average; it's not holding back much but it's also not dying rapidly. It slows slightly when it comes to a surface cover at about 1 finger depth and holds well. Some receding lacing graces the side in unpredictable patterns but unfortunately doesn't stick. The color is 1 shade lighter than pure black with some very slight light getting through the edges. Nonetheless, the beer looks thick and full. There is no visible carbonation on the edges of the glass but I can't see much beyond that. The appearance is decent. 3.5

(Smell) The bitter end is pure creamy chocolate cocoa with a slight touch of nutty tones and quite possibly some earthy hops too. The sweeter end balance comes from some other arrangement of dark malts. It balances the nose out very well. Beyond the balance is a satisfyingly thorough and potent aroma that is truly captivating. There is not much else to say about this complex beer. It smells excellent. 4.5

(Taste) At least as complex as the aroma, the first bit of this beer has a detailed wash of chocolate tones and sweet but heavy flavored dark malts and I can feel the pure cocoa resting on my tongue. If there are any hops included in here, they round themselves out through the entire beer, as there are bitter qualities in every part of the drink. An excellent bitter, charred smoky finish is at least as astounding. I would never have gotten that from the nose. Thoroughly flavorful and complex. My review here doesn't even begin to describe it. 4.5

(Mouthfeel) A bitter but slightly crisp primary sip and a surprisingly brutal dry end. Alcohol is well concealed and the beer is thinner than the average Russian Imperial but doesn't manage to get too bland in any area. This is a full bodied brew for sure. The bitterness and dry finish slows the drinking down significantly and puts an interesting sizzle on the tongue. It does well as long as you don't mind complexity. 4

(Drinkability) The issue with multiple drinks is that this is just a filling stout. The bitterness and dry qualities of this beer are enough to slow you down to enjoy the drink and to let your palate let you know you're full. As such, I couldn't have more than two at a single sitting. The ABV certainly doesn't help, but as long as it's well hidden, as in this one, it's more than welcome. Great complex taste and a pleasing aroma and appearance to boot. Surpassing limited drinks the one I have I know I will savor. This beer is a winner. 4

Verdict: This beer manages to hit many great keys with me and I praise it for it's complexity and flavor (of which the taste is slightly more varied than the aroma). Drinkability is great in small numbers and the appearance could use some very slight fine tuning (in terms of head retention and lacing), but have no doubt, this is a solid stout. A- (4.2%)

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

The bottle poured out a dark brown body with a three finger high light brown head. The head was a thick foam that eventually dissipated into a thick and sticky lace that smothered the glass. The initial aromas were of dark fruits, roast, malts and a huge helping of prunes. Frankly, the prunes are quite overwhelmingly.The initial flavors were of prunes, bitter unsweetened chocolate and roasted barley. The beer had a full body with light carbonation.

Overall this beer is pretty spot on for the style, however I am not a huge fan of the prunes and after a while they seemed to get a bit tedious. Interesting beer, but not quite in my alley for a stout.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Ballast Point pint glass...

A - Pours black with a one finger brown head. Decent head retention and a good amount of lacing...

S - Chocolate, roasted malts, sweet caramel, and a hint of alcohol...

T - Chocolate, dark roasted malts, and hint of caramel. Ends on dark chocolate note with a little heat lingering in the after taste. Just enough to remind you that this is a big brew. Very tasty...

M - Thick and chewy with a moderate amount of carbonation. This is the consistency a good RIS should have...

D - Very solid brew. Something that would definitely be in my rotation if these were readily available in my location. Hoping to age a couple of these for a while, and see what happens...

Cheers...

4.17/5  rDev +0.5%

I have had this beer for a while and I just reviewed the "Lump of Coal" from Ridgeway, and I seriously need a good beer to wipe the taste out of my mouth. I remember that this beer was really nice, so it would be good to end my beer drinking evening on a high note. Here we go...

Appearance: Pours black as motor oil with a small head of tan bubbles on top after an aggressive pour. The head faded into the beer within about 20 seconds and left a very small ring where the beer meets the glass.

Aroma: I get plenty of dark malts and chocolate with some evident alcohol as spiciness. There is some hops evident here as a floral component to the aroma, but they are supporting the whole malt ensemble.

Taste: The flavor is really malty as well, but the beer is relatively thin on the palate for such a big beer. There is lots of chocolate and other dark malts, and a pretty well defined dark caramel component. The hops are present in the flavor, but are very reserved compared to the malt and alcohol. The alcohol in particular is a big player in this beer by adding spice and mouthfeel in the beginning of the sip and then fading into a lingering warmth on the back of the throat. As the beer warms up, there is a Rauch flavor starting to become more noticeable and contributing a pretty significant amount of oiliness that sticks on the back of the throat. Overall the beer is medium bodied with low carbonation. It is well attenuated, so the body isn't too syrupy as a result.

Opinion: This is a really good beer. I like the balance of malt and hops, and the stout makes a solid showing without ending up too acidic on the palate to linger. That said, it could use a bit more carbonation, and it ends up a bit dry in the finish for my personal preference, but it is still a very easy drinking beer and one that I will definitely try again.

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

A - One finger tan head. Totally black. Can't see anything. Head is very calm, looks like it's stickin around.

S - Tons of chocolate, rich roastiness and coffee. Typical RIS. Really nice.

T - Mild booziness. Roastiness is less present. Coffee is pretty strong. Chocolate is strong and tasty. Good to see no actual chocolate added, just alot of great malts.

M - Medium carbonation, really smooth and rich. Silky smooth.

D - Hard to say whether I could have a few of these. I'm burping chocolate. It is delicious but not sessionable obviously. I would never turn one down and I would definately seek it out.

4.27/5  rDev +2.9%

2010-2011 Vintage

Nearly black, viscous pour yielding a mousse like light brown head, with scents of bakers chocolate, toffee, tobacco, coffee beans, toasted bread, black licorice, and alcohol. Wow, complex and engaging nose for an imperial stout.

Creamy, rich chocolate, roasted grain, caramel, warming alcohol throughout the taste, dark fruits, and some ashy like char as well. The bitterness barely breaks the sweet malt surface, and one there is promptly overwhelmed. Ends silky smooth with a lingering dark chocolate taste; very close to drinking chocolate. There is no harshness or excessive bitterness in the flavor profile that you might find in West Coast Imperial Stouts.

The mouthfeel is great as there is just enough weight on the tongue, and the carbonation reduces the intensity of this sweet stout. Exhibits a tongue coating characteristic that just begs to be renewed. One of the most well crafted, sweet Imperial Stouts I have had to date.

2010-2011 Vintage

Poured into White Birch glass. This one pours jet black with a small mocha/tan colored head that quickly dissipates. A pleasant cascading affect is nice. A small ring of lacing is left around the circumference and some sticky lacing is left clinging to the glass. The amount of lacing surprises me considering the abv on this one. A really nice looking beer overall.

The nose on this beer is chock full of chocolate with hints of coffee, roasted malts and alcohol. I also pick on on sweet dark fruits. Not really complex but a good example of its style.

The taste is really quite good. An impressive amount of chocolate on the palate considering they only use chocolate malts to give the flavor. A little on the bitter side, like coffee made with too much of a water:coffee ratio, causing it to be bitter. Alcohol is present in the taste as well. Again, not a lot going on in the flavor, but still enjoyable.

A pleasant amount of carbonation makes this high abv beer quite drinkable. Alcohol bite is noticeable, so while this 12oz bottle is fairly high on drinkability, I don't think I would want more than one glass. A good beer but maybe some time in the cellar will probably do this beer well.

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is #3 of the Texas Ice Storm '11 Beers (20 degrees and dropping...)

A- Pours black and black upon more black. A full finger of head develops from my aggressive pour. This slowly distills itself into a condensed layer of foam across the top, like swamp water. The lacing is there, in lines sheets and webs.

S- Ah, such an inviting beer. Aromas of chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, dark cherries, cherry cordial, cream chocolate, light espresso grounds, dutch cocoa.

T- Ah, such a delicious beer.The taste is less sweet than the aroma leads me to, more minerals and roast to go along with the chocolate. But still a lot of the same- chocolate, vanilla, espresso (here fading into more intense turkish coffee).

M- Somehow, sweet and dry and at the same time. I guess it's sort of sweet in the front of my mouth and dry by the time the roast and hops hit the back. Not a lot of syrupy, which is ok, but I think I'd prefer some more just so the beer shows off it's power. Certainly the alcohol is well hidden.

D- This is not my first BCS and it will absolutely not be my last. A delicious beer in all respects.

3.87/5  rDev -6.7%

12 oz bottle into a tulip.

Pours a deep, near black, brown. One and a half finger tan head forms and falls slowly. Leaves spotty lacing.

Smells of chocolate with fruits dipped in rum and liqueur. A bit boozy.

Has a noticeable taste of dark chocolate, mixed with a roastiness that comes in later. Possible hint of some hops at the end. Maltiness and sweet all around.

Pretty thick on the palette, heavy bodied. Fairly wet, too.

Well for the 10% it's pretty drinkable. However, I find beers like Imperial Stout Trooper fantastic by being able to pack so much flavor with less ABV. Great beer, though.

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

Winter 2010 - 2011 vintage. Poured from bottle into New Belguim Brewing glass.

A: Pours a DEEP black color. Thin tan head that fades very quickly. Faint tan line around the outside of glass. Some lacing.

S: I got chocolate, dark malts, and cherries from the nose. Not too overpowering though. I might just have to let it warm up a bit to get more.

T: Complex flavor. I didn't hit me right away, but I got dark, roast malts and chocolates and cherry....just like the nose. Some coffee too, more at the end though.

M: Smooth at the start, but nice coating finish. Not TOO sticky.

D: Overll a good beer for sessioning. I could have had another as the ABV was hidden nicely, but it IS there. 10.5% isn't a joke.

I LIKE this one, but don't LOVE it. I can't fault the brew. It is nice and complex, but I guess I was expecting more after readin reviews. I like the Brooklyn catelog, but I guess my tastes have changed in the last year.

3.97/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured this into a tulip, though I think it might have been better in a pint glass. Winter 10-11 release. **Updates are Winter 11-12 in a pint glass, makes a difference.

Appearance: I will say very few beers are black, as you can usually see some color in the light, but this is black. Small brownish head, no lacing. **Updated, there is some lacing, not too much though

Smell: Coffee, roasty malt, with a hint of sweetness. **Update, good sweetness to it

Taste: Roasty malt, hints of coffee and dark chocolate, little bit of bitterness. **Update, this has respectable sweetness with balancing bitterness, this has a nice mocha flavor

Mouthfeel: somewhat thick, crisp carbonation

Drinkability: Easy drinking, doesn't taste like 10% abv.

Overall very good, but not as good as I remember it being. Probably will let the others age some and see if that makes a difference. And, good stout for the price. **Update, the flavor is great, as good as I remember, I'm putting three bottles in the cellar to see what age does to it.

4.4/5  rDev +6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

Pours as black as ink with a thin mocha head. Some lacing.

Smells of rich dark chocolate, coffee, caramel, cherries, liquorice (like a twizzler, not black liquorice) and some nice roasted malt.

Taste is a fruity bitterness, not unlike dark chocolate or a dark roast coffee. Ends with some roasted malt and a bit of alcohol. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel is full and velvety. Low-average carbonation. Slighty drying on the palate.

Drinkability is high. Alcohol is there but balanced well in the mix, and the flavor is great, though I'm partial to black coffee and very dark chocolate, so I may be biased. Overall, this is fantastic, and is a great example of the style.

3.94/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours a pitch black body, motor oil like. Leaves a thinly laced light brown head that circles the rim.

Smells of chocolate, espresso, roasted malts, prunes, maybe a little bit of hops or something earthy of that nature. Can also get a faint smell of the alchahol in the tail end. Smells very goood.

Taste is even better! Dark chocolate, roasted malts, espresso beans hit me first. Some dark fruits then kick in, prunes, maybe some raisins. Still an earthy presence but can't really tell if its hops. Alchahol really doesn't stand out in the taste as much as it does in the smell.

Very smooth and warming. Mouthfeel is almost like a this velvet.

Very good over all. Would recommend this to any stout lover!

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a dark reddish brown. A small amount of light brown head but doesn't seem highly carbonated. Smells strongly of chocolate which is great and some lighter roasty hints off the malt. Tastes strong. Tons of dark chocolate and roast. The malts hit you hard and the alcohol content is huge. Some dark fruitiness as well. A big beer that rally needs time to cool off. Slid thick mouthfeel but too potent to be highly drinkable

4.37/5  rDev +5.3%

Bottle date of Best Before 2013.

A- A thick black that is nothing else. Nice heavy espresso-like head that just wouldn't go away. As I sip away, perfect lacing left. Makes this look even better, if that is possible.

S- A great balance between the chocolate and coffee notes. Neither is overpowering but both are noticable. I am also getting, what I will call, just a plain earthyness.

T- I'm not a coffee drinker for the bean flavor, so big stouts are always a crap shot with me. This one is delicious. The chocolate malts are on the front and just when you think that is all the flavor, espresso takes over. What a surprise. As it warms up, the 10% ABV starts to show itself, but what else should I expect. A very complex and deep beer.

M- What else can I say. Dry, thirst quenching, smooth, heavy, easy-drinking, subtle. You get the point. This covers all the bases.

D- Only brewed during the winter months, I should pick up more to keep on hand. This can be opened for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Cold or hot weather. By the lake or campfire. Take Brooklyn where every you go, it will not dissapoint.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

2011-2012 poured into CBS snifter

A Pours very dark, almost black and has a 1+finger light brown head. The body is opaque and some lacing is left around the glass after a big swirl. The head retention isn't too big while some islands and light foam are left above the body. 4.5

S Big time chocolate and sweet dark fruits There's a slight alcohol bite in the nose toward the end as well. 4

T Follows the nose pretty closely. Dark fruits come across first with a wave of sweet and bitter bakers chocolate. There's a touch of wood although i'm pretty sure theres no wood aging with this beer. Chocolate bitterness lingers on the finish. 4

M Nice smooth feeling in the mouth. Medium to heavier mouthfeel and there's very little carbonation in this one. 4

O A nice, easily accessible stout. Unlike most stouts, I defiantly prefer this one with some age on it. I had one from last year the other weekend and was a totally different beer. I'l put the other 3 in the basement for a little while. 4

2010-2011

A- deep black with gigantic mocha head that will not leave. I had to pour the last ounce or so into my pint glass after the head went down. Really nice looking. 5

S- roasty and with light chocolate scents. Not too pungent but its there. 4

T- bitter chocolate off the bat. Chocolate and light hops or bitter chocolate. Roasty overall and a touch of a boozytaste at the end, not overpowering bit its there. 4.5

M- light and almost fluffy. Tiny carbonation bubbles tingle. Nice feel. 4

D- this is dangerous at 10% ABV. I personally like the boost taste of other RIS but this is much more drinkable. I want to drink this when I wake up. 4.5

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

Big thanks go to Dreadnaught33 for sending this one as an extra as a trade.

Appearance: Black Chocolate Stout pours out nearly pitch black with about a finger of mocha colored head. The head retention is decent, and a thin film of head sticks around. There is only a bit of lacing that results.

Smell: Roasted dark malts and bitter dark chocolate are very prevalent on the nose. I also get a bit of hot alcohol and hops on the back end. Nice strong aromas.

Taste: Roasted dark malts and baker's chocolate assault the palate first, very nice. A bit of alcohol heat and a surprising amount of hops are on the finish. Overall this beer is a bit one dimensional with all of the chocolate, but it is balanced pretty nicely. Solid.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: This beer is between medium and heavy bodied, and very creamy in the mouth. It has quite a bit of very fine carbonation that makes it very smooth. Man, I wish I had access to this beer so I could stock up for the year. I wouldn't mind having it in the fridge all of the time. Very drinkable for the ABV.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a skingle from Norm's Beer and Wine.

Pours a straight jet black, with no light breaking threw. Which I found interesting as I felt the body was not as think as some RIS in this high of ABV level. THe head formation was a bit of work, possibly the bottle. The color of the head was a dark chocolate color not very dense. The aroma was full of Dark Chocolate with a roasty coffee background. Taste was along the same lines as the aroma mainly chocolate with a dry roast coffee flavor. The Coffe in the background pushes the chocolate flavor threw and drys it out a bit. The mouthfeel was exceptionally smooth and the abv was well hidden but their pushing flavors threw. This brew being a RIS with a 10%abv left me wondering as the mouthfeel and flavors were not your standard. Which I loved. WIll deffinatly continue to pick this brew up in the future.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

12oz bottle to Brooklyn snifter, '10-11 release.

A: Pours ink black with about half a finger of milk chocolate colored head that disappeared quickly. Lots of lacing sticking to the side of the glass. What you want an imperial stout to look like.

S: Complex smell. Espresso, milk/dark chocolate, roasted malt, some notes of dark fruit, figs, raisins, plum, and aroma from the alcohol.

T: Dark chocolate, some bitterness from the chocolate/espresso flavors towards the middle of the tongue, roasted flavor, some sweetness from the dark fruit, and booziness.

M: Medium bodied, smooth with a bit of carbonation. A slight alcohol burn, but it's masked well by the flavors of the beer.

D: It's definitely a sipper at 10%, but the booziness is by no means overwhelming.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

reviewed on 1/26/11 from a 12oz bottle.

A: opaque dark brown. can't see any CO2. big creamy tan head that is here to stay.

S: hot, spicy dark cocoa. deep roasted malt. molasses.

T: grape, vinous tart fruit. oak. finishes with roasted coffee. returning to the glass, there is a sticky residual sugar on the rim. great complexity of flavor.

M: really smooth carbonation on a big body. spot on.

D: great beer. easy to drink for how big it is. this bottle was a '10-'11 bottling vintage. i have read putting these suckers away for a year really develops the flavor, which is why i have a few collecting dust as we speak.

3.38/5  rDev -18.6%

This beer pours an oily midnight black with a dark, dark khaki head. The smell is of burnt coffee, bitter chocolate, tree bark, tootsie rolls and lactic sweetness. The taste is of sweet milk chocolate, burnt coffee, and alcohol, alot of alcohol. It drinks smoothly but could be considered a little light for a RIS. I don't find this to be as good as advertised. The alcohol comes out far too much in the taste and after taste. The booze lingers and it's a little too sweet for my liking.

12oz bottle, Bruery tulip, 2010-11 issue. Thank you drabmuh, this was something I really wanted to try.

I cannot see through this beer. It looks a bit oily, and very black. There was a quarter inch of head from the pour, though it quickly retreated, giving me only a small, oily ring of dark brown bubbles.

The nose is slightly charred malt, plump dark fruit, brown sugar or treacle sweetness, graham cracker, and only hints of dark chocolate. Slight solvent as it warms.

While I didn't get the famed alcohol heat in the nose, it shows up once I've taken a sip. Bitter cocoa, the charred malt, graham cracker, bitter and only slightly hot alcohol are evidenced in the beer. The dark fruit quotient is much lower here. Solvent creeps up as it warms.

The mouthfeel is medium-full with a slickness that seems to come from the copious alcohol and eventually a bit of tongue numbing from it. Small bubbles lend it a creaminess too.

For all the stories about this beer often being very hot fresh and even aged I think it's rather tame. I even think this vintage is quite drinkable for a 10% beer. I'd buy it if I was in market.

2011-12 Bottle on 7/8/12
There is more chocolate and alcohol in the nose for this year. Otherwise, wonderful and better than I remember.

2013-14 Bottle on 11/30/13
Rich, stark chocolate with little to no booze in the nose even this young. Definitely some in the taste as well as rich ripe fruits.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

Saved this for a cold, snowy night.

Poured this into a glass, almost pitch black in color. Lightly carbonated, thin brown head.

This is a thick, heavy and syrupy drink.
It has a sweet, chocolatey smell. I could sense the alcohol in the smell.

Sweet chocolate taste, with a bittersweet finish.
Slight taste of alcohol, but it does not take away from the experience.

More of an after dinner drink than a beer. I drank this with some brownies, and wow! The flavors explode in your mouth!

For such a strong drink, it is surprisingly smooth, but this is a drink that should be sipped, savored and enjoyed slowly.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured into a pint glass. '10-'11 vintage.

A: Looks like dark roast coffee - dark in the center, burnt mahogany on the edges. Poured very little head, mocha colored, some lacing.

S: Smells of dark chocolates, a hint of cherries, maybe a hint of vanilla. Very inviting. Upon lifting the glass to drink, smelled perhaps a whiff of alcohol aromas.

T: Tastes faintly like dark chocolate, with hints of coffee and alcohol on the finish.

M: Medium mouthfeel with a bit of a oily texture. Low carbonation, though I can't tell if that's normal, or my bottle was just low (due to almost nonexistent head)

D: This is an excellent dessert beer. It has just a hint of alcohol taste to it, which is impressive given it's 10% ABV. Despite being chocolate flavored, it is not cloyingly sweet, which is welcome. It would be very easy to enjoy a few of these over the course of an evening, which would be dangerous.

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

A - it exudes power. the pour is the darkest brown with red tinges, the body is opaque black. The head is medium brown with varying bubble sizes and it stays.

S - you can smell the heat on it, kind of surprisingly. bitter coffee, biscuity notes, and loads of creamy chocolate. Great balance, and great things in it.

T - after my first sip I said, out loud, to myself "I think this is really fuckin' good." Big creamy chocolatey flavor with a brilliant woody/rawhide drying character. Theres the right amount of bite from the coffee. It's a brilliant beer, I should say. I'll have to pick up more for the cellar.

M - Big and smooth and creamy. You can really feel the thickness as you are trying to swallow it. It's just the right thing for the style.

D - Since it's only 10%, it's not ridiculously hampered by it's booziness. That said, it's a big beer, and as much as I might like to drink it, gotta keep it under control.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery