Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout | Brooklyn Brewery

Alströms:

firstprev| 6626-6650 | 6651-6675 | 6676-6700  | next → last
Ratings: 6,688 |  Reviews: 2,813
4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

'01-'02: I really look forward to this every winter. This past year I split a case with a friend. I loved it, he still has a few. For me, this is perfect when I only want to drink just one brew and chill out for the night. It is heavy and strong - just the way it should be.

3.65/5  rDev -12%

'01-'02: Sampled: On tap, pint glass

Aroma: Roastiness, chocolate, and hints of alcohol. Starts out with a slight tang amongst the roasted flavors, which quickly subsides to leave a big, roasted malt and chocolate taste with a decent (not huge) body to it. The alcohol becomes more pronounced as it goes down, but doesn't ever come close to overpowering the roasted coffee/chocolate/burnt toast(?) flavors. A very nice brew that, with the addition of a bit more body, could be incredible - albeit less "I'll have another, thanks!" drinkable.

Me being me, I had the bartender give me a 5 oz. glass and mixed this half-and-half with Middle Ages Druid Fluid barleywine. THAT rounded the flavor out.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

'01-'02: Black body with big tan head, which too quickly disipated to a thin topping. Chocolate, liquorice, and alcohol in aroma. Roasted malts, chocolate and coffee tones in taste. Enough alcohol in taste to know this is not a session beer. It is a nice evening topper.

'02-03: To the above, I will add a big heaping of dark fruits, particularly raisins.

3.97/5  rDev -4.3%

A nice chocolate aroma, a deep chocolate flavor. Poured smoothly and had a decent foam time. Would like to try it on nitro.

4.15/5  rDev 0%

'01-'02: This is the first time I've tried it so I can't compare to previous years. Initial taste is alcoholic, although other flavors quickly surround it upon subsequent sips. Great mouthfeel, heavy but not sluggish; sticky, but not cloying. Head did not last as long as I would have liked. Overall satisfying, though, and I would very much like to shelf it and taste it again down the road.

4.37/5  rDev +5.3%

'01-'02: A bedtime treat. Nice burnt coffee/cocoa flavors. Viscous mouthfeel that I believe could be balanced with a little more hops. Finishes with a warming acidic burnt malt bitterness. Aging usually rounds out the rough corners, but it's still good complex brew young.

4.01/5  rDev -3.4%

'01-'02: My first experience with a Brooklyn Brewery product. (Not that it factored into the rating, but it has a great classy looking bottle)..Smells of high alcohol, and has a bit of a high alcohol taste to it...Nice imperial though...very rich and thick but nowhere close to Belle's Expedition in this area...tastes of bakers chocolate thanks to some nice complex blackened malts...(I don't believe this beer adds any real chocolate to it)..I had heard a lot of positives about this brewery, and my first experience is a good one...Above average Imperial Stout..

3.4/5  rDev -18.1%

Presentation: 12 oz brown long neck bottle with "Limited Bottling - Winter '00-'01".

Appearance: Ink black with a light brown and quite impressive lace that retains like a champ.

Smell: Dark chocolate covered espresso beans and a mild ripe prune fruitiness.

Taste: Full bodied and very smooth, a tangled mesh of dark roasted coffee and dark unsweetened chocolate. Hops are vague amongst the roasted barley bitterness, some sweetness prevails with a fruitiness attached of prunes. Roasted and chocolate flavours linger just about forever. Alcohol is certainly there with its feeling of warmth to the throat and chest.

Notes: Layered and complex, a strong foothold on the taste buds with the roasted character. This brew will get even better towards the end of the winter with some age.
Presentation: 12 oz brown long neck bottle with "Limited Bottling - Winter '99-'00".

Appearance: Close to pitch black, thick and creamy tan lace with a sufficient head retention.

Smell: Fusel alcohols near to a cooking sherry aroma, twang of roasted and charcoal in the nose also.

Taste: Massively creamy with a thick bold body or malt that is close to being syrupy. Smoothness is quite incredible. Burnt fruit and some fusel alcohols give a twang and kick respectively. Roasted flavours are intact with a slight acidic flavour that melds well with the fruitiness. Alcohols are a bit too much and tell you in one way or another to respect the brew. Hops are faded and a touch herbal / leafy in flavour amongst the roasted prowess. Vagueness of wet paper shows a touch of age from oxidation, not in a bad way though.

Notes: Best consumed at cellar temperature, alcohols are a bit too much and if the oxidation could hold out for a year or more this beer will mellow out to be a great vintage brew.

3.76/5  rDev -9.4%

Excellent beer... I haven't had an aged one, but I have split a 12oz with a friend and I must say, throughly tasty. Very strong in the "roasted" section, mild hop bitterness, and a sweet chewiness. The finish was slightly too alcoholic for me, the vapors alone cleared my sinuses... but all in all, great Imperial.

4.76/5  rDev +14.7%

'01-'02: Wow, this beer knocked me out! For a while, all I could taste and smell was alcohol. But after it warmed, the rich texture of the chocolate and malt became evident. This beer really warms the inside of your belly and is perfect for this time of year.
'00-'01: What a brew! I saved a bottle from last year and it evolved into an even more spectacular beer. It's like velvet, but sweet and with a kick. You can't go wrong.

4.9/5  rDev +18.1%

'01-'02: This is one of the beers that's consistently in my top 20 or better. One of the most complex and delicious brews ever made. I love BBCS as a nightcap or a special treat on it's own.
'00-'01: Simply one of the best Imperial stouts.

4.76/5  rDev +14.7%

Boldest, most complex stout I've had to date. Enhances chocolate desserts immensely.

4.78/5  rDev +15.2%

An incredibly tasty and powerful stout. Best use of chocolate malt that I've ever seen for the style. It's high alcohol and rich flavours also make it a perfect canditate for aging. Have a 99-00 that I am waiting to review. Yummy stuff.

firstprev| 6626-6650 | 6651-6675 | 6676-6700  | next → last