Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout | Brooklyn Brewery

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Reviews: 2,793 | Ratings: 6,587
4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

Yum. Great aroma of molasses and chocolate. A very creamy head that lasted a long time with great lacing. Black color, of course. There is a moderately acidic intial flavor that lessens a bit. Palate is medium-full, syrupy with a moderate alcoholic finish. Finish is loooong. Can't wait to see what a year in the cellar will do for this. This is really an outstanding double stout. Probably my favorite Brooklyn beer in the bottle.

3.86/5  rDev -7%

An aggressive pour to a pint glass leaves a 1 cm fast-dissipating head of dark tan with ruby highlights. The beer itself is black with a reddish underglow, a ruby bottom.

There is a roasted smell but also a predominantly caramel aroma, rounded out with malty goodness.

The taste at first is smooth and infinitely deep. There is a soily earthy quality to the middle, with some smoked/roasted malts and flavoring hops. The end game is all about alcohol, moderate bittering hops as well, and a smooth, mocha breadiness. I searched ans searched for more chocolate flavor, based upon the brewers claims of chocolate taste, but I could not find it. I ended up saying, “who cares” this was smooth and completely drinkable, chocolate or not.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Black as black can be, with a nice, two finger, coffee ice cream colored head that diminishes slowly. The lacing is phenomenal.

Smell: Strong presence of roasted malts, chocolate, and a little bit of alcohol.

Taste: Coffee and chocolate dominate through the first sip. After a few sips you can start to detect alcohol flavors towards the end with strong roasted coffee malts and bitter chocolate. There are hints of hops midway through the sip.

Mouthfeel: Great carbonation, it feels like the chocolate is melting in your mouth.

Drinkablility: For a stout it is very drinkable. I probably couldn't drink more than a few, but that is true for all the stouts I've tried.

Notes: Looks great, smells great, tastes great. I highly recommend this stout, it is one of the best.

I wanted to rate this lower, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. Not at all the beer I remember from years past and certainly not a Black Chocolate Stout. Pours pitch black with a brownish rim and absolutely no head. Had to really concentrate to get any aroma at all, and I still can't place what it is. Finally, this beer has a metallic taste; like I was drinking nickels or something. I'm curious to try it again, because this is a beer I used to like, say four-to-five years ago; but I was completely unimpressed this time.

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

pitch black with an inviting creamy tan head. Smells of licorice, coffee, chocolate, deep, malty and slightly bitter. Smooth silky mouthfeel. Tastes of coffee, black roasted malts and hints of alcohol. A deep inviting beer that improvede as it warmed with more alcohol aromas and flavors of tobacco, raisin & toast. A very nice beer indeed.

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%

Appearance: A majestic beer. This stout pours a thick, creamy, tawny colored head. Thick lacing coats the side of the glass all the way through this beer. Completely opaque, this beer presents a dark black color.

Smell: Roasted coffee bean and dark chocolate. A full maltiness pervades as one inhales: sweet and certainly full of chocolate. The smell of alcohol announces itself as well, reminding the nose of a liquer. Rich and aromatic even before tasting it, Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout is a pleasure for all senses.

Taste: Dark chocolate maltiness, with roasted overtones. One is also reminded of flavored coffee. Strangely, a faint trace of oily hops manages to infiltrate the intense maltiness. Decadent chocolate and some oily hops yields a refreshing stout.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and silky body with a slightly carbonated finish. Pleasantly light for a stout, but light in a truly satisfying way. A bit watery at the end, but not so far as to detract much from the beer.

Drinkability: Very drinkable for a stout. A very sensual beer that is satisfying in all respects. Despite not being a stout connoisseur, I thoroughly enjoyed this beer.

3.91/5  rDev -5.8%

This pours a jet black with a large creamy tan head.This is one beautiful beer.The smell is chocolate,but it's not too strong.The taste is a very strong chocolate with some coffee and malt.There is alittle alcohol warmth,but not much.The m/f is heavy and creamy.This is a well balanced beer with all flavors mixing well.This is a very good beer,not great,but very good.Every Christmas I will look forward to this coming out.

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A beautiful looking beer, pitch black, thick dark tan head that stays very strong for the duration.
Smell is wonderful, a chocolate liquor and coffee.
Taste was a bit harsh, but not terrible. Alcohol is strong in the middle, hops in the back, the front is black coffee, maybe a hint of dark chocolate. Almost too strong for my tastes.
Mouthfeel is quite nice, some burn on the sides but smooth and thick.
I like this beer, and would have another, just not in a row. I have 1 more bottle (got 2 in the party pack) that I'm going to let sit for a while.

4.9/5  rDev +18.1%

Finally had this on nitrous draft at Cafe Luna in Simsbury, CT (see seperate review--great job Louis!). WOW!! While I have always enjoyed this one from the bottle, the draft version is almost PERFECT. The coffee and chocolate flavor is very much pronounced, but not overwhelming. While the bottle version "hides" the high ABV; the draft is even more dangerous, as you cannot really feel the alcohol until afterwards. The carbonation is very soft. A really outstanding brew, served at the right temp at Cafe Luna. By the way, the pizza here is VERY, VERY good!! Mangia.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Winter '05-'06

Poured a jet black with slight dark tan head. Smells of sweet roasted malts and bits of coffee. Raisins and prunes also come to mind.
Very strong tastes. Chocolate and rich coffee taste along with raosted malts in this heavy stout. Syrup like body that goes down very smoothly. There are sweet tastes of raisins. The hops are fairly tasty and add to this complex brew. As this goes down there is a warming feeling but the alcohol is hidden well. I would like to try this beer again in a year or so as it could only get better. Very good beer and it follows with a well rounded aftertaste of darker malts.

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Presentation: 12 oz Bottle from the 2005-06 winter.

Appearance: Head is magestic. A hard but balanced pour produces a large head that slowly fades to an inch or so. Colour is black ink, jet fuel even. Head is light brown mocha, tan if you will. Lacing also stands up for as the head reduced a layer of lacing was already forming. Could probably go on forever about this.

Smell: Primarily chocolate and mocha coffee stand out in this wonderfully aromatic beer. Absolutly love the deep and dark chocolate aspects of this smell, though the backbone of chocolate covered coffee beans - espresso, make this smell very intriguing.

Taste: Easily reminds me of why I love this style. Rich flavors of baker's chocolate, unsweetend, but certainly dark. As a stout there is a minimal hop presence (but its there), and there is a great dark and deep roasted barley taste. After taste is phenomenal as the chocolate transforms to have many complex coffee bean undertones.

Mouthfeel: As said before, hold on... uh... I have to mention that the lacing orginally formed after the pour is quite literally clinging to the side of my glass as I am half way through this beer. Now, back to the mouthfeel; it is quite literally roasted, but smooth with minimal carbonation. Goes down cleanly, yet entices the palate so well.

Notes: Easily at the top of my list for not only stouts, but beers in general. Great with deserts, oh my... what it must be to enjoy this with a hunk of chocolate mousse. Death by chocolate... no, death by Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout. I give a 4.0 to drinkability for I am a chocolate and stout lover, so the combination of the two makes me believe I could drink a few of these, and there isn't an alcohol presence (even at 8.5%) that turns me away. A great, amazing, brew.

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

I'll try to be succinct; I've honestly acted quite unwisely and have had three of these in the last two hours (quiet night at home, I'm allowed). Terrifically, absolutely delicious, and the ABV really sneaks up on ya - the mouthfeel is so rich and the body is so perfect, you can barely taste the alcohol.

Poured a dark black/brown hue with a little chocolate brown head. Very little to no carbonation to battle the pleasantly thick mouthfeel. Smells of tasty roasted malts, faint chocolate, mildly alcoholic; the taste is exactly what you'd expect - warming and creamy, and chocolatey. A lot like Bison Chocolate Stout, just a little richer and a bit more alcoholic. Easy to fall in love with.

As I said, this one goes down smooth, so be careful. Sorry to be so succinct; just try it if you haven't.

4.71/5  rDev +13.5%

Winter 05-06 Vintage... Pours espresso brown and totally opaque confirmed by using all types of high lumen output devices! Pours with a generous 1/2" deep mocha brown head with admirable retention. Agitating the glass after the head settles rejuvenates it to its original poured state! Outrageous, although slightly repressed aromas of bittersweet dark chocolate and rich lightly roasted malts dominate the nose, as does the alcohol which smacks you gently in the face as it ascends from the glass. The taste is fantastic; with essences of slightly sweetened concentrated imported dark chocolate, well malted with the perfect balance of hops; adding the absolute perfect balance of hop acidity that keeps this stout crisp & vibrant. The mouthfeel is primo; creamy, lively and satisfying, extremely well balanced. Drinkability is unexpectedly superior; this is no overweight slug here! This Brooklyn Bad Ass will offer fans of the style an undeniable and unquestionably enjoyable quaffing experience. Like all "Vintage" products, expect each edition to vary somewhat as the formulary may change as does the quality of the ingredients available to the brewer each season. Although earlier "vintages" of this brew received lukewarm marks by some, this current Vintage is completely off the hook; this would be challenging to dispute!
Very highly recommended!

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Let me start out by saying that this is my first imperial stout, my first chocolate stout, my first beer remotely like this. The first one of these I had I didn't really like. But it grew on me. Here is my review.

Marked for winter '05-'06.

This beer is very dark, nearly obsidian, but with some faint red hues. It pours into my tumbler with a modestly-sized creamy brown (as in brown sugar) head with lots of crazy lacing.

The nose is spicy, bitter chocolate and nutmeg.

The taste is bitter, bittersweet chocolate. This, mixed with the spiciness (nutmeg, cinammon flavors? maybe brown sugar too?) makes it like mexican chocolate. At the finish, the alcohol comes to the fore. It is warm and spicy -- the interaction of the spiciness of the alcohol and the spiciness of the actual flavors in the beer is interesting. Notes of caramel and some roastiness, too.

Low carbonation, very full body and very smooth.

This beer is so sweet that it leaves my lips feeling sticky (it is more of a richness than a sweetness). I don't get that with most beers I drink (granted, I've mostly drank paler beers).

This is a tasty beer. It took me a few to get acquainted with it, but in the end, very good. I like. I recommend. And it was good with Thanksgiving pumpkin pie, too. It's so rich that I can't give it very high marks for drinkability, but one is certainly good.

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

2005-2006 release

A: Poured dark black with a modest dark tan head. Lots of sticky lace on the glass.

S: Aromas of dark fruits, and a little bit of chocalate

T: I remember last year's tasting much different (and better). This one has an interesting earthy flavor mixed with banana and an interesting lack of chocolate flavor. Lots of hops in the flavor, but there's also a slight sweetness to it. Espresso-like flavors in the finish.

M: Typical of a stout.

D: I remembered this being so much better. Still a good beer though and at a good price.

3.41/5  rDev -17.8%

Perfectly pictured stout pour--jet black, no light peering through, dark tan everlasting head with perfect lacing--from this season's (2005-2006) version. Came out in the classic oil like delivery.

Feel the nose and the taste were one sided. Heavily influenced by the bitter range with super dark malts and chalky bitterness. Didn't feel it had the necessary depth that one would expect from something that is supposedly a classic.

Perhaps some bitter Turkish coffee grind flavors, but little to no sweetness. Dark chocolate was here, but only in the lingering mouthfeel. It was initially bitter, but as I sat and talked with those around me, I definitely picked up some expensive dark chocolate notes, but not in the overall flavor profile. Alcohol esters, some old molasses, and bourbon touches are here as well. Just felt a bit one sided to me.

Rich, full flavored brew, just doesn't seem well rounded enough for several.

4.57/5  rDev +10.1%

Picked it up recently, this year's edition just got stocked in my local liquor store within the last two weeks. I like most of the Brooklyn beers, so I eagerly anticipated this offering. This beer met and exceeded my expectations, which is something I don't say very often!

Poured a standard textbook stout color - nearly black and opaque. Not too thick, but the head nearly filled up to the top of my pint glass and took a bit of time to settle down. Notes of toffee, currant, espresso, coffee, and black cherries add loads of depth to the various flavors of chocolate which form the backbone of this brew's notes. The various flavors work wonderfully together and never overpower any of the senses and additionally, the regular and dark chocolate base lingers wonderfully with each aftertaste. Very smooth and only a trace of the alcohol can be felt in between sips, which isn't bad considering it's 8.5% ABV content!

The bitterness is present a bit during tastings, swishings, and in between sips. It's more than balanced by the full melody of flavors, and this beer is very difficult to chug down due to it's richness and warmth. Brooklyn Brewery shouuld be commended for a concoction that is worth looking forward to during the winter, and worth savoring during the cold nights of the season. A must-have for the stout enthusiast!

Have the 2005 – 06 version from the variety pack. Brew pours to a pitch-black color, not much if any light coming through this brew. Has a medium sized dark brown head that has fair retention and leaves quite a bit of lace around the top half of the glass. Aromas of chocolate, charcoal, black/burnt malts and dark fruits are highly noticeable. Taste is of dark malts, chocolate, slight alcohol burn mixed in a very dry feel. Very nice tasting brew, good drinkability even with the 8.5% ABV. This is the first time I have had it in bottles and I think I like it better than on tap. Will allow the other one I have from the pack age and then re-review.

4.17/5  rDev +0.5%

Another solid beer from the Brooklyn Brewery. This is pretty much your textbook stout, fits the style perfectly, but yet has it's own personality. Blackish brown color, little to no head though. I love to smell paint in a beer, and I smell it in this one. Nice. There's also a ton of roasted barley and chocolate malt scents combining with hints of dark cherries and raisins. Taste is very delicate and desert-like. So sweet, with a nice chocolate quality stepping up to the plate, but not dominting the whole beer. Richly complex. I can definately taste the "double" in this double chocolate stout. A nice kick of warming alcohol as it goes down the throat, but not really detectable in the taste. Velvety smooth creamy mouthfeel, excellent. I've had this one on draft too which gives it a little more carbonation, which might slightly edge out this bottled version. Either way, this is a sturdy beer that would be pretty hard for any beer drinker to find fault in. Good stuff.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I had yet to try anything from Broolyn when I stubled upon a cache of Brooklyn Beers on special at a bar. I carefully selected this double with no predispositions and gave it what I would call a very fair test. Here were my findings.
It poured very dark, absolutely opaque, with a somewhat fizzy dark tan head. I use the term fizzy to distinguish it from the faomy head some people might be expecting from a Murphy's/Guiness style.
There was little lacing left behind after the head dissapated.
The smell was very intense; roasted malts and chocolate assault the nose. Also alcohol, and some coffee.
The taste was certainly chocolaty, once again with plenty of roasted malts, coffee, possibly some subtle fruits.
You can definitely taste the alcohol, but it is masked well with a good balance of ingredients and tastes. It finishes smooth and defintiely warms you up. Brooklyn, I'm impressed.

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%

This beer pours into my snifter a dark inviting black, with no trace of light and a thick creamy head.minimal lacing for mr if any at all Looks beautiful though.

The aroma is none other than....you guessed it chocolate! There is also a hint of alcohol and the malty goodness that is to come.

The taste is knock you out chocolate with malts in the middle and a nice warming effect from the alcohol. Not overpowering but just as the name suggest a black chocolate stout.

The mouthfeel was id say medium but i do dring a lot of double stouts. Great though i thought it was going to be a bit more watery but i was plesently surprised to find that is was at a happy medium

Drinkabilty is high but i only scored it a 4.0 because after 3 or 4 your spent

Overall i had waited for this brew and the wait was well worth it. A damn fine brew from brooklyn that i will find myself going back to when i need a lil break from the doubles

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

generally, stouts are not my favorite style, but this is really an exceptional rendition.

pours beautifully, exposing a silky deep black color. head is moderate, but creamy. smell is wonderful - chocolate and alcohol dominate. the alcohol flavor is intense, yet not offensive or overpowering; frankly, it's perfect for this style of beer. terrific mouthfeel and texture.

highly recommended indeed!

4.16/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, Winter 2005 release, poured from a chilled 12oz bottle into a Brooklyn Brewery snifter glass reccomended for this beer,

Appearance: BCS pours nice, thick, and black. Not the heaviest stout I've seen, but still plenty of heft to it. One finger of medium brown head, which disappears quickly.

Smell: Scents of chocolate, coffee, alcohol, in that order, with the alcohol somewhat overpowering the others.

Taste: Where Brooklyn Chocolate Stout shines. This is a truly excellent stout in all respects. Deep, dark chocolate flavors, with a distinct coffee/roasted malt aftertaste. A stout drinker's stout.

Feel: Thick and smooth, with very little carbonation. Very nice.

Drinkability: Very drinkable for its style. Definitely not an everyday beer of course. Nice for dessert.

Overall, the 2005 release is an amazing beer, and an excellent showing from Brooklyn Brewery. A major improvement over last year's version, if you tried that.

4.15/5  rDev 0%

This is one I have been waiting several years to get my mitts on. I used to read tasting notes on this one and drool, always wondering when I would get a chance to take my own notes... here I go.

Like most stouts I drink, this one is nearly coal black and lets nary a ray of light poke through. The head is generous enough, thick, creamy and lasts admirably all while leaving a handsome lace behind.

The aromas are subtle, harmonious, and complex enough to yield fresh nuances at nearly every whiff. From malty charred notes up front followed by hints of coffee and licorice to a mild hoppy bite in the finish, one finds traces of spices and some stewed fruits in the mix. A mild vinous character binds the aromas in a harmonious manner and makes the experience quite pleasing.

It is in the mouth, however, that this beer really shines. Firm and bold in body, it is rich and filling and makes no apology about this fact. The flavours are as complex as the aromas but are in your face and very robust. Malt, chocolate and coffee flavours form the sturdy underpinning on which the balance of this beer rests. Some notes of bitterness permeate the complex of the above flavours and bind with a delicate but present tartness reminescent of a mulled Quelque Chose. The finish is dominated by a charred and heady bitterness that lingers, accompanied by traces of oak.

This is surely one of the most flavourful and complex stouts I have had the chance to review. Such a heady and full bodied beer lasts a long time and doesn't constitute a session beer. However, I would definitely indulge in two bottles of this at desert (thus salvaging the drinkability score) This is by no means available in Québec... I had to rely on my uncle to bring me back a 12 of this so I should be good until x-mas.

Merci André.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

This is from the new Brooklyn Party Pack sampler case. Date notched on the label. I drank it in a goblet.

Pours a totally opaque black with a one finger head of light brown foam. The head falls to a coating and a ring, with good lacing.

Aroma is sweet chocolate, vanilla, black sweet coffee, dark cherries, and currants. Maybe some spices like black pepper, vanilla, and even cayenne.

First flavor is sweet dark mocha coffee, some bitter chocolate, fruits like cherries and prunes, and spices like pepper and vanilla. Flavors are big and sweet. Aftertaste is awesome dark chocolate, thick and rich, with a lingering hop bitterness. Hop flavor is earthy and floral.

Mouthfeel is thick and rich, smooth and creamy. Carbonation is soft. Residual sugar is pretty high. Slight alcohol warmth in the finish.

This is one hell of a delicious pounder. Big, dark flavors, fruity, chocolatey, malty, with a good alcohol kick. Highly recommended.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery