Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout | Brooklyn Brewery

4.15/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 6,687 |  Reviews: 2,813
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Let me start off by saying I am one of many who didn't fall in love with this beer. Perhaps it was the hype. I read so many positive posts and talked to my beer guy, thought it was going to be gold in a bottle.
A- Poured a dark black, with a nice head that faded quickly. The head was chocolate brown in color that had minimal lacing. I was very excited to taste based on looks.
S- Smelled of hazy chocolate in the distance, however more roasted malts, and of alcohol.
T- The taste was a bit surprising in the sense that it had a lot less chocolate that I had anticipated. I wasn't expecting chocolate milk, but it was totally over powered by the strong alcoholic smell.
M- It wasn't bad in the mouth, but the alcohol was too strong. Laced the mouth and stuck around in the throat.
D- I think if I was more into sipping, which this beer is intended for, it may be nicer. I didn't chug it, but I may have sipped too frequently to let my pallet adjust. I have 5 more to try and get it right.
Overall, I think I'll stick with the hoppy kick that I've been on, and leave this behind.

Footnote- The second was nicer, a klittle more gentle, and enjoyed a little more.

2.86/5  rDev -31.1%

Winter 05-06 bottle right after they ramped up the alcohol, year old 12oz bottle poured into a Belgian tulip.

Appearance- Solid black with a thin head of tan foam. Lacing is like glue and leaves legs on the sides of the glass.

Smell- Chocolate and espresso with much roasty malts and some hop bitterness. A bit of lactose creaminess in the nose, but not too much. The bulk majority is the perception of milk chocolate.

Taste- Wow, everything that was previously great about this beer is now gone. The big chocolate flavour is now just a lingering memory. Alcohol burn and hop bitterness is most of what is left. The smooth creaminess is gone and now we have a very difficult to drink stout in our glass.

Mouthfeel- Sticky and cloying. Creaminess that should be there is hardly there at all. Bittering hops seem to have replaced this and make this much less of an enjoyable brew.

Drinkability- Nearly a drain pour. For some reason when they ramped up the alcohol they decided not to taste test the batch and this beer has suffered. This year's batch (06-07) is much better still having the big alcohol but retaining it's previous chocolate character.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Found a bottle of 02 in my cellar. poured into a glass still maintained a substantial head the nose still has a nice roasty chocolate presence, but one gets a bit of sourness intermingled. in the mouth one still gets a good dose of carbonation, but these beer has passed its peak. the sourness on the nose comes through on the palate and coats the side of the mouth while the chocolate malts slide over the tounge. the aftertaste is much better than the initial flavoring, leaving behind a roasty flavor.
just came back to this beer after 30 odd minutes the noose got stronger but hte palate definitly fell apart. this beer works much better as a two year old

2.87/5  rDev -30.8%

A: The head alone is what sells it; 2-3 fingers high, and it will not fall. The head is a nice chestnutty brown, and the beer; Black. I mean no light penetrates this beer, scary.

S: Kinda alcoholy. Slightly nutty. Honestly not much there.

T: Hints of chocolate, very alcoholy, and again not much there.

M: Very creamy. Not much carbonation. The beer coats the tongue nicely. Goes down very smooth.

D: I kinda think this beer will be sooo much better in 6 mo to a year. I just hope I can keep them in the closet for that long.

2.88/5  rDev -30.6%

A- Really thick dark and syrupy... zero light coming through the glass

S-Smells like alcohol with a little bit of chocolate and coffee and roasted malts.

T- Bitter chocolate, overwhelming alcohol taste that ruins the beer imo.

M-Smooth and drinkable.

O- I felt this beer was average at best for the style. The alcohol takes over the taste of the beer once it starts to warm up imo, so I think its best to drink this cold. (unless you like the alcohol taste).

2.89/5  rDev -30.4%

Served nice black black with a short brown head. Chocolate is big and strong. Way too strong!!! I love how the smoked taste blends in with the rest of the malts. This beer would be very good, but they tried to pack too much chocolate into it and that just did not work out for them. My advise: try again on the recipe, but this time don't be so coco-happy.

2.92/5  rDev -29.6%

This beer had a great coffee smell, and taste, i held it up to a 100W bulb and couldnt see through it, I find beers of this nature, for me, hard to drink. They seem to be too much, and get dumped after 3/4's. I mean, if stouts/imperial stouts are your thing, youd probably love this, but I wasnt a fan, good job as always by Brooklyn but I would never get again.

2.92/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Dark chocolate, biscuit and sourdough. Sour, vinegary aroma. Nothing special here.

2.95/5  rDev -28.9%

Brooklyn- Black Chocolate Stout

Appearance- Dark black with a dark tan head. Good loking lacing at the top of my glass.
Smell- Sweet chocolate, heavy with the sugar.
Taste- A chocolate coffee blend with 10 scoops of sugar! Too sweet.
Mouthfeel- The sugary sweetness is just too much. It hurts the cheeks. Warming and slightly bitter in the end. Alcohol is hidden.

Overall- If you like your Stout's packed with sugar this is your cup of tea, otherwise I'll pass.

2.95/5  rDev -28.9%

Poured this 12 oz, brown bottle, dated Winter 06-07, into a Samuel Smith tulip glass. Body was the color of very used motor oil. Head never developed, but a collar of graham-cracker-colored foam stayed for a few minutes then nothing of the head remained.

Smell was subdued. Chocolate covered raisins or maybe raisin bread. I could not pick up more.

Taste was mildly sweet. Not cloying. Cocoa. Bittersweet chocolate. Peppery. Malt and hop presence, yet primarily cocoa. Alcohol hints came out late, rather well hidden. Rich with a lingering bitterness in the finish. Interesting but not especially complex, but I will age this one and taste it later.

Mouthfeel was smooth. Fully bodied and filling. Mild carbonation.

2.98/5  rDev -28.2%

This is a black, black beer that I was excited to see hitting the Chicago market. It poured completely black with a a short tan head. The smell was coffee, sweetness and soy sauce. The taste was coffee, burnt malts and a little bit of chocolate. The mouth feel was frothy. This beer tasted young and was kind of a mess. I found the carbonation to be quite high for a RIS. The 10.6% alcohol was noticable.Overall, I found this harsh and difficult to drink. Maybe a couple of years in the cellar will do it good.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery