Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout | Brooklyn Brewery

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Reviews: 2,792 | Ratings: 6,578
4.44/5  rDev +7%

Stouts are not my favorite style but I am trying to taste more and more. I won't write any bad reviews for any stouts I have tried even if I don't like them because I feel I need to know the style better. That said, when I find a stout I like, I have to write a good review about it. Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout is a great brew. Lets start with its appearance. Wow! Very dark brew and you cannot see any light through it. The head is kind of tan and dies down shortly after pouring. The smell is exceptional. Its really just what you would expect only better. It is a heavy aroma of chocolate and coffee. After taking a good whiff of the beer, there is no way you can wait to try it. Mmmmm chocolate. The beer has a bitter kick to it as well. I didn't really pay attention to the ABV and it surprises me that its so high. Disguised very well although you know you are having something over 6.5.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured out of a 12oz brown bottle labeled winter 05-06

Drinking this beer out of a brooklyn snifter. served at about 45 degrees.

This beer pours a midnight black color with a 1/2 inch light coffee colored head. The head seems to disappear fairly quickly, but still leaving a thin layer above the liquid itself.

The nose is of chocolate currant and alchohol, also some other dark fruits.

Taste the chocolate very well, a sweet and bitter blend which seems to mask the alchohol on the tounge better than on the nose. There also seems to be a hint of sour tartness on the finish, leaving you with a slight pucker..The over all finish is smoothe and well balanced.

I would say this is a fairly full bodied stout, with great characteristics. Will drink again for sure.

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured this black beauty in a tulip. Black at SRM40+, the thin dark tan head is supported by low carbonation. Moderate legs and sheen on glass noted. Aroma is roast malt, stone fruit and chocolate. Flavor is a dark roast, slightly biscuit, complex stone fruit with a low bitterness. Mouthfeel is very full bodied with a sweet finish. Warmth from alcohol is noted.

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Cracked open an 08-09 bottle at cellar temp and poured into a tulip as a night cap along side a slice of chocolate cake. Heaven-sent.

Pours almost pitch black with a nice 1 finger mocha head on an aggressive pour. As the beer goes down, there is a little lacing. This is almost opaque black in the glass, with some light around the edges.

The smell is of roasted grains, and some bitter chocolate in the back. hints of some coffee and fruits as well. alcohol comes through a bit. its almost like a liqueur.

The taste is deep and rich, with massive roastiness, some heat from the 10% abv, and bitter-sweet, but not too sweet chocolate in the back of the throat. again, hints of chocolate and dark fruits. Also, some acidity throughout the whole thing and an odd but not off-putting "zing" to it.

Mouthfeel is a little on the prickly side, but that helps cleanse the palate. Certainly is viscous and sits in your mouth for a while being a little slick.

Drinkability is great; for one bottle. having a couple in an evening could easily knock you down. take on, take it slow, and sip it. It's delicious.

Notes: most of this beer was sampled alone, with the latter bit being accompanied by some chocolate cake for the sake of finding a solid pairing. Chocolate cake has been found to pair almost perfectly, highlighting the notes of the beer perfectly.

4.65/5  rDev +12%

Winter 11-12

Poured into my Brooklyn stemmed tulip glass

A: 3-4 fingers worth of nut brown head. Black beer that no light penetrates. Lacing all the way down the glass as I drink. Sexyness in a glass!

S: Bitter chocolate, with hints of roasted coffee. Touch of sweet maltiness.

T: Sweet malts give way to bitter roasted notes with a mocha/ milk chocolate finish.

M: This beer coats my mouth with a delicious chocolate film. Slightly creamy feel gives way to crisp finish.

O: Wow, this beer is delicious, and dangerously so at 10%. Perfect on a winter night or with dessert. Black Chocolate Stout has never disappointed me and this year is no exception. I look forward to enjoying this beer all winter long!

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%

Finally got my hands on this year's model after rave reviews from everyone. I was not disappointed

A: Deep, dark jet black color on the pour. A little bit of thick brown head at the top which would leave its mark on my glass the whole way down. Opaque as opaque can be.

S: Chocalate and carmel is the strongest scent you get. There are coffee notes as well and a bit of alcohol because well...it is 10.5%

T: Thick taste of caramel and coffee, not as blatently chocalate as expected, but it was delightfully subtle. A lot like rauchbiers in the sense that you could get some burnt flavors as well.

M: The only way you could coat your mouth any thicker is with liquid hershey's chocalate. Its a mouthfeel you can savor for a long time

D: To be drank one at a time, save a couple, impossible to be chugged so you don't have to worry about jackass friends stealing it.

4.37/5  rDev +5.3%

Talk about a kick in the teeth... this beer really did sneak up on me! I was told by a friend that this is his favorite beer so I had to pick me one up and I did. I first tried it directly out of the bottle while it was still around 42 degrees... talk about bad idea! This beer is excellent when poured into a mug and let to warm to about 48 to 54 degrees give or take on my estimate on temperature. Extremely flavorful beer and very hoptastic!

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

I've had alot of chocolates and I have to say that this is flat out, the best chocolate stout that exists. I'm also a fan of russian imperials so it's a WHAMMY for me.

I'll edit my post at a future date. Right now, it's not in my glass but it was this night so I wanted to atleast put my 2 cents forward. pay attention to the taste and overall most. I'll clean up the rest later but I gave guesstimates for now.

4.09/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured from 12oz. bottle into a snifter, winter 11-12. Black with about a finger or creamy brown head, faded pretty quickly, light lacing.

Intoxicating smell, a good swirl brings out a lot of chocolate that is difficult to pin down. Bottle says it is brewed with six types of dark chocolate, so I guess that is why the chocolate aroma is so complex. A lot of roast/toast in the nose too, some breadiness, very malty, slightly alcoholic.

First taste is quite bitter, chewy chocolate, malt, cream, and coffee notes stand out. After a few more sips it gets sweeter and quite smooth, both dark and milk chocolate, there is a very light hoppiness to it. The bitterness is very well balanced out now and only lingers at the end, light coffee, hops and alcohol, some burnt wood flavors. Very nice, complex.

Full bodied, slightly prickly, very smooth and drinkable. Doesn't really coat the mouth, lingers a bit and the bitterness keeps me sipping.

Very nice overall, and at the price it could be my go-to stout.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

A: Pours a deep brown maybe all black color. Cannot see through in the limited light in my living room. Ample 1.5 to 2 finger mocha colored head that is leaving a nice "veil" not lacing around the glass WOW!

S: Deep, dark chocolate, coffee, some fruity notes present very subtle. I do pick up alcohol smell but not overpowering and not surprising with a 10% alc/vol.

T: Good sweetness but not as cloying as many 10% beers can be. As in the aroma and description this beer is all dark chocolate yumminess. Also pick up on some alc. burn.

M: This is a full bodied stout with a sticky mouthfeel.

O: This is a good impy stout and it is great at what it is says it is...a chocolate stout. If you like chocolate you will like this beer. Myself, if I am buying an imp. stout I would prefer a bit more going on flavor wise. That being said I really think this 2011 version could benefit a year in the cellar to mellow out that alc. burn.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours jet black with a heavy brown head that takes it's time leaving. Smells like a Hershey bar with some dark maltiness. Tastes the same with hardly any alcohol coming thru. A nice dry sweetness at the end. Satiny mouthfeel. Just velvety chocolate stout goodness!

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Beer is as says:
Black.
Chocolate.
Stout.

Roasted malt, assertive but not aggressive. Chocolate hits you up front. Make sure you warm appropriately as this is where the goods are at with this beer. Even delicious slightly warm. And the roasted malts become more assertive as well. A fresh bottle will reward you with the nice coffee flavor others are talking about as well as some vanilla. I love that the coffee aromas in this particular beer are more on the smooth side for coffee aromas.

It should be reasonably priced wherever you are, as all BB beers are. And I have yet to drink one that does not meet its value. Killer at 10ABV also for the price. Simple but extremely rewarding, straightforward, uncomplicated developed flavors. Delish

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into Tulip style glass

Appearance- A slow pour yields a thick viscous black body topped by a three finger dark tan caramel colored head. Head stuck around for a minute before fading to a nice floating thin layer. Patches of lacing are all over the glass. Head was smooth not clumpy like many RIS. Overall a very appetizing beer to look at.

Smell- Chocolate is very evident hear. Almost like the smell of a Hershey's dark bar. Backed up slightly by a roasted scent. Very little coffee is apparent in the scent.

Taste- Taste is much more complex than the nose and it serves this beer very well. Dark chocolate is dominant again followed by a well balance roasty malt background and some raisin flavors as well. Not too sweet like many chocolate stouts. A hint of bitterness at the end makes this an extremely balanced and well rounded stout.

Mouthfeel- Smooth and creamy, but not as thick as many RIS. Closer to a heavy porter than a real thick oily stout. I thought the lighter body complemented its complex flavor very well. Many times when drinking an RIS I get this milkshake type feeling. Not here though smooth and not too heavy.

Drinkability- Well there isn't a lot too say here other than at 10.6 % this is no session stout. However it's such a good beer you may truly want to. I found myself taking nice gulps rather than small sips.

Overall- I flat out loved this beer and will gladly keep my fridge stocked with it as long as its here in TX. Hands down, by favorite stout.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

12 oz into tulip.

A: Pours black - looks a bit like cola. Great head with good staying power.

S: Sweet and nutty, malt and chocolate. I am getting excited about this one.

T: Same as the smell, spot on. The name says it all - this tasted like Black Chocolate. Oh yeah, also coffee. This is fantastic brew and is deserving of any and all accolades.

M: Eh, a little to be desired, but not bad. I'll just say the moth feel is true to style.

D: If you like stout and you don't like this beer, you don't like stout. This stuff is amazing.

I am sure to have a review soon where I don't love the beer, I promise.

3.06/5  rDev -26.3%

12 oz bottle poured into Duvel tulip. 2010-2011 bottling.

A: The kind of black that incites nightmares in children. I only see myself & the surrounding room reflected in the glass as i look into this brew. 1 finger of mocha colored head that dissipates quickly to a filmy cover. Minimal lacing.

S: Bakers chocolate & coffee. Roasted malts bring in the back of this nose. Almost indistinguishable through the alcohol. Disappointing.

T: Boozy. Hints of bakers chocolate & roasted malts. Alcohol overwhelms the taste as well.

M: Low Carbonation, thicker mouthfeel, typical of the style.

O: I had high expectations & was let down by this brew. Alcohol overwhelms several aspects of this beer. Some time in the cellar would serve it well.

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this on tap at Market Cross Pub in Carlisle, PA last night with my wife's uncle. He treated me to a celebratory beer(s) in honor of our son who was born a little over 2 weeks ago.

The waitress brought me a black, light-tight beverage with a nice tan head. It looks thick and rich.

Smells are roasted malt with definite dark chocolate and coffee overtones.

The first sip brought a rich, creamy, smooth, roasted molasses flavor. The second sip was gloriously chocolate and coffee-like and left a lingering sweet tickle on the sides of my tongue. This is one awesome beer!

I wouldn't suggest having this beer with a meal. Instead, have it all by itself and enjoy each delicious mouthful.

4.14/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours black, with a moderate-sized thick brown head. Not too much retention, but that's to be expected with the alcohol content.

Aroma of chocolate, coffee, soy sauce, with some fruity malt and hop notes.

Mouthfeel is thick, with moderate carbonation. The taste starts out bitter, with notes of coffee, dark chocolate, and burnt toast. There's plenty of malty sweetness apparent, with some fruity notes and some citrus, and it finishes with a good deal of floral hop bitterness.

Overall, an excellent ale and extremely drinkable for an imperial stout.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

This review is for a bottle of the winter 05-06 release.

A: The beer pours thick and black but with little head and larger bubbles then other stouts I've had.
S: The smell is defiantly of chocolate, malt and alcohol. Which is fantastic since I'm a huge dark chocolate fan.
T: The taste does not disappoint. The first thing the hits you is the strong alcohol taste. I know this bothers some people but in this case it is perfectly balanced by the deep chocolate taste as well as the rich malts used in this brew. I also get a slight taste a raspberries I'm not really sure why but there it is.
M: This beer just feels fantastic going down it absolutely coats the inside of the mouth with a great creaminess and well quite frankly just makes me happy.
D: So I'm going back to buy some more of this brew to age as far and drinking more then one or two I probably could but it might be the start a disastrous evening.
Overall a fantastic brew that I plan on having again.

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

2007-08 batch, 12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

A: One of the darkest stouts I've ever seen -- no light penetrates the blackness. Head is slight, and falls quickly to a tan lace.

S: Alcohol comes first, followed by hints of roasted coffee.

T: Better balance than the smell would suggest: coffee, a touch of sweet and a slight hit of alcohol -- subtle, given the ABV -- in the background.

M: Close to perfect: rich, thick and creamy. There's a definite substance to this beer.

D: How many can you have when the ABV is 10.6 percent? The answer: more than I should. It's that good.

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

I have already bought several 6 packs of this one. Was happy to see a display piled to near the ceiling at my local beer store (which was quickly gone down) figured it was time for a review... I had these at cellar temp... cant see drinking this cold it would be a waste. Bottle says brewed for winter 07-08

A- It poured Black with a slight ruby hue when put to the light..its oily but not thick- with a 1 finger tan head the settles very slow.

S- Alcohol,dark fruits and chocolate

T- Dark chocolate and fruits- a lot like the smell- with a perfect warmth from the alcohol in the brew- dark roasted grains with a surprisingly sweet taste -the hops are well blended with the other flavors because it doesn't have a bitter bite at all- excellent layering of flavors.

M- Its very slick not chewy and it might be a bit on the thin side for a imperial -it takes away from mouthfeel but adds to the drinkability...Has more carbonation than other imp stouts Ive had but not to much..

D- Top notch, I love imp Stouts- this one is probably the most drinkable for this style Ive ever had Ive had a couple that taste better maybe but those were 1 and done beers- this I can actually have a few and only the 10.6% stops me. I just cant get enough of this one..which I think thats pretty rare and I had to give this a 5 for drinkability.

I have been meaning to get some more of these to keep around and age for a while- but every time I go get more I seem to end up drinking them. I cant see why some people haven't rated this one higher-- maybe this years brew is better than others...

2.92/5  rDev -29.6%

This beer had a great coffee smell, and taste, i held it up to a 100W bulb and couldnt see through it, I find beers of this nature, for me, hard to drink. They seem to be too much, and get dumped after 3/4's. I mean, if stouts/imperial stouts are your thing, youd probably love this, but I wasnt a fan, good job as always by Brooklyn but I would never get again.

3.94/5  rDev -5.1%

12oz poured into pint glass

A: Pours deep black - dark coffee, topped with a light caramel frothy head

S: Tons of different roasts, heavy, coffee, slight hint of sweet

T: Bright hops, roasts, bittersweet chocolate, malt, caramel

M: Full bodied, nice bit of carbonation, lingering taste

3.97/5  rDev -4.3%

Winter 11-12 bottle poured into a snifter.

A- Not much head on this one at all. Small brown head reduces quickly to a ring. Very dark, maybe some slight light peeking through on the edges. I can see some carbonation streaming up the glass.

S- Roasted malt, chocolate, nutty, sweet caramel.

T- Big roasty flavor, dark cocoa, detecting slight soy saltiness. Bitter chocolate. Vanilla.

M- Really digging the mouthfeel on this one. Smooth, silky, medium carbonation. Hardly any alcohol noticeable.

O- Very nice, clean, almost textbook imperial stout. Good stuff.

4.29/5  rDev +3.4%

Great beer for $2!! Ever since the pricedrop ($7.99/4pk), this has become a go to beer. It's a little thinner than the super rated RIS bottles, but it is also much sweeter. I see no reason to drop $12 on a bomber of Chocolate Yeti or Southern Tier when this beer is available on the shelves. Super high ABV is also well hidden; great local beer, highly recommended.

3.78/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured into a pint glass from bottle. 2010-11 winter bottling.

Only can describe the color as what happens when color doesn't exist. Super-rich and inky. The head was caramel colored and about a finger thick but was gone in the time it took to stick the bottle on the counter.

As you would expect, it smells of bakers chocolate and coffee. There is a hint of booze that sort of overcomes the other aromas,it is 10% so I'm not surprised.

Rich malty chocolate, coffee and a little bit of licorice hide the alcohol a little but it's still a beast.

Overall tasty, but there is a little missing on the finish, it just gets a little thin at the end. Its a solid beer that has all the working parts that an Imperial Stout with Black Chocolate in the title should. I dug it and would buy it again.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery