Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout | Brooklyn Brewery

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Reviews: 2,788 | Ratings: 6,571
3.88/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This is a very interesting beer. Pours a beautiful deep mahogany brown, nearly black with a thick 1" tan head. Visually this beer is amazing. It has a terrific toasty chocolate malt smell. First sip it was very intense and I was surprised at how many sips it took for me to kind of warm up to this one being a stout drinker. I didn't read the abv prior to purchasing as I purchased in a mix a six pack. I think the intense first few sips are due to the high abv. It may in fact be just a little to much, sort of throws the balance off for me in this brew. The chocolate doesn't come thru as much in the sipping of this, I taste more of a roasted coffee flavor. It's a good beer but it's not my favorite overall. Perhaps this beer is a bit to cold right now since it's just out of the fridge, maybe as it warms slightly other flavors will come out in this.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A - Black opaque elegance topped with a 1/2 inch caramel head.

S - Faint chocolate and booze.

T - Like a dark chocolate bar with 75% cacao. Sweet at the front, but slightly bitter at the finish.

M - Thick and rich, like a milkshake. Hangs out on your palate for a minute or two.

O - A great dessert beer. My middle-age woman need for chocolate and booze has been satisfied by this sumptuous stout.

3.37/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours dark brown, almost black, with virtually no head whatsoever.

S: Smells burnt and boozy. As the beer warmed, I was able to pick up some licorice in the aroma as well. I really did not pick up any chocolate at all.

T: Tastes very boozy. The alcohol really takes charge here, along with the burnt flavor. As with the smell, as the beer warmed I got some taste of licorice and a very slight hint of really dark, bitter chocolate, but not much. The glaring abscence here is any real chocolate flavor. I expected a dark chocolate taste right up front, but it's just not there.

M: Mouthfeel is good. Pretty smooth and creamy, not too thick.

O: Overall, I'm a bit disappointed. There really isn't much chocolate to speak of in this beer, and the booze comes through so strongly it just seems to overpower everything else. This does seem to get a little better as it warms, but still a disappointment. The 10% APV at least gets you nice and warm.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Very smooth and easy drinking RIS. 10% barely noticeable. Chocolate tasty but not overwhelming. If you're into this style give this one a try you won't be disappointed.

4.65/5  rDev +12%

Outstanding! I can't wait for the winter months to roll around each year so I can get myself a case of this to savor. As black and opaque as possible when put up to light, its appearance has a light brown head that follows the pour and gives great lacing. It has a strong aroma of coffee and deeply roasted malts. The flavor follows that up with more coffee, roasted and burnt notes and also has a very strong hoppiness. A tiny taste of alcohol is there too. The beer feels like oil in your mouth with carbonation that compliments it perfectly. Overall, this is probably the best beer I have ever had and it is an absolute must for anyone that likes craft beers!

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours a rich black color with smaller tan/brown head. Smells of sweet apple and darker fruits raisins, plums, and a slight vanilla. tastes complex of raisins, dark chocolate, and charcoal. Finishes with an overpowering charcoal taste. Carbonation is a bit overpowering for this style, mild carbonation works better in a a stout, in my opinion. This one is a bit too dark for my taste, and should be noted. Although with a 10.6 alc my down sides are worth overlooking. and i would have another one if offered.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I look forward to this beer every year. Just picked up the 2011-12 edition.

A-Poured a motor-oil black color with a mocha colored head that was about 1/2 fingersbreath thick

A-Bittersweet chocolate, roasted malts, roasted coffee

T-Roasted malts and bittersweet chocolate. A roasted coffee flavor follows with a hint of caramel. Well balanced.

M-Creamy, thick mouthfeel. Minimal carbonation. Almost a chewy characteristic

Overall: I love this beer. This year's edition, in my opinion, might be the best balanced BCS compared to the last several years. Very drinkable. If I have to find one fault, it would be that you can't detect the alcohol at all, and, at 10% ABV, that is a dangerous thing. This is a definite beergasm!

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

Received as an extra in a trade. Unfortunately, not sure if it's from beerhandy or markgugs, because I got both boxes at the same time... Thanks either way!

This beer pours oily black. Not syrupy. The head is probably the darkest mocha color I've encountered so far. It's is tight on the bottom but fluffier at the top. Fades away after a minute, lacing floats on for another minute or two more. Taste is shockingly chocolate. I have some 85% cacao dark chocolate, and this tastes almost identical. The chocolate flavors are so overwhelming that I can barely discern any malt underneath, and I'm too blown away to note any hops. Mouthfeel is smooth, but like the pour, thinner than I thought. Where's the alcohol? Drinkable? Sure, it goes down well, but for me you must partake of chocolate in moderation.

4.65/5  rDev +12%

A: Black; no light coming through. Poured 2 finger chocolate head with excellent retention.

S: Big roasted malts, burnt bitter coffee, chocolate. Finishes with dark fruit and alcohol.

T: Consistent with smell; roasted nad chocolate malts most dominant. Earthy bitter hop brought balance to the big malts. Finish was dry and full of warming alcohol.

M: Full body. Litte carbonation. Smooth, rich, creamy and soothing.

D: Let this one warm a bit and sip it slowly by the mouthfull; you'll be pleased.

4.07/5  rDev -1.9%

Props to Brooklyn Brewery for brewing this bad boy and making it available for a song (less than $2 each!).

A -- Black as death. Milk chocolate head of about 3/4 inch fades to an appealing pond scum.

S -- Aroma of a boozy, chocolate pound cake slathered with Hershey's Syrup.

T -- Big, dark chocolate, coffee, toffee and butter from the get-go. Booze pops out toward the finish, and closes with a roasty finish.

M -- Think and chewy, no doubt, but a slight letdown against the huge mix of intense flavors. Points subtracted for a mouthfeel that struggles live up to its dynamic taste.

D -- A leg up on other Imperial Stouts, as I could actually drink two of these in one sitting.

Overall a kick-ass IS for its huge flavor, drinkability and value.

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured from 12oz bottle

A - Pours pitch black like motor oil with a big tan fluffy head. Leaves good lacing with ever sip.

S - dark chocalate smell mixed with fruity raisin

T - BIG dark chocalate taste and I mean BIG, some roasted coffee with slight caramel and dark fruit. Roasted malt up front then ends with a slight hop bitterness. Alcohol is present but not overpowering for 10%ABV.

M - Very smooth and silky on the palate, with that nice hop bite at the end.

D - Definitely not a session beer but a good sipping beer couldn't have more than two at a sitting. Overall one of the best RIS I have ever had.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

I guess this beer is one you just have to try to understand. Even tough its an R.I.S. its not. Brooklyn has taken great mestures to make this beer open for the big public. The -09 version is well balanced but perhaps the character R.I.S. is usually more rugged than this brew. Almost milky in the nose i see this beer as one that you can serve to the avrage joe and he will understand but perhaps not like (depending on taste ofcourse).
My conclusion is that its got a pretty high drinkability and the taste is perfect. But as i said, i kinda miss the rugged feeling.

3.39/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: It pours a deep black with a small, light brown coloured head

S: There isn’t a whole lot of odorants here, it mostly smells of alcohol.

T: The initial taste is a light chocolate, then the alcohol takes over. The aftertaste is a slightly bitter chocolate coffee flavour. Surprisingly, I can taste more coffee than chocolate

M: I was expecting this to have a heavy body, but it is rather light. There is a health amount of carbonation as well.

O: There is nothing horribly wrong with this beer, but there is nothing excellent about it either. I think it needs more chocolate to balance the high abv. As far as chocolate stouts go, Young’s Double Chocolate Stout is much better.

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

"Limited Bottling Winter 11-12"

Bitter brew, lots of chocolate right upfront. I've tried most of Brooklyn's stuff and have found that I only like their specialty brews.

A: head is dark tan, leaves a nice sticky lacing. Head retention is great.

S: Not much going on. Smells bitter. Dark caramel and chocolate. Roasted and toasted.

T: It hides the alcohol content well with a very strong roasted coffee and chocolate malt that starts off sweet but finishes very bitter. Some dark caramel comes in and then finishes with a roasted coffee bitterness. Needs just a little more hop bitterness to balance it out.

M: Sort of creamy but a little too heavy, even for a black stout. Not bad but it could use a little more carbonation to support the weight of such a strong brew.

Overall: I like it Alot. The coffee aftertaste is quite nice.

4.94/5  rDev +19%

Truly one of the most delicious beers I have of this style. Unlike some "chocolate stouts" that resort to putting chocolate in their brew, Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout has no need to rely those techniques. It's amazingly rich and incredibly smooth despite its over the top nature. Very worth buying at 9 per 4 pack!

4.41/5  rDev +6.3%

I tried an 06-07 and a 07-08 side by side. Both were thick. Almost like a syrup and dark as night. I think the 06-07 was a bit thicker. It smelled like like roasted coffee and chocolate. Taste was very good. Dark chocolate and coffee with some molasses. It seemed to coat my mouth like a syrup would and gave me a nice warm feeling. I think, due to the 10% ABV, two in a sitting were enough for me.

3.48/5  rDev -16.1%

Pours a pitch black, with a thin coffeeish head that is almost immediately gone. It's alright to look at, but I could have used a little more head.

The aroma is a little skimpy. It's got some dark chocolate, a little alcohol, and a little sourness from the roasted malts. Once again, it's ok, but not all that great. I expected something much bigger.

The flavor is better than the aroma. It's rich and chocolaty - well named. There's a touch of the dark fruitiness I love about big dark ales like this one, but it's quickly beaten down on the finish by bitter chocolate and espresso, in conjunction with a little alcohol as it warms up. Not much in the way of hop flavor at all, but that's ok, I like my Imperial Stouts a little less hoppy than most. It's not really dry, too big bodied for that, but it does not leave the drinker with a lot of sweetness.

It's smooth in the mouth, not a lot of carbonation here. I guess that explains the lack of head retention. Somewhat creamy, though not nearly as much as, oddly enough, a beer like Duvel.

I'm only going to give this a three on the drinkability scale because, to me, this beer isn't balanced. If it were served with a rich chocolate dessert, the two would compliment each other beautifully, the sweetness of the dessert being tamed by the espresso like bitterness of the ale. But, on it's own, it lacks the intensity of dark fruit flavors that I love in this style. The roast character dominates this beer from start to finish.

It's odd - in three days I've reviewed two Imperial Stouts. The first, a Belgian example, was, if anything, too fruity and not roasty enough. This, on the other hand, is the opposite. A little more fruitiness would go a long way towards balancing this beer and making it a great one, other than a merely good one.

4.07/5  rDev -1.9%

A very tasty Russian Imperial Stout. It poured out with a very subtle head. Almost seasoned to have the characteristics of chocolate and deep tones of espresso.
The drinkability surprised me. It had a great and easy palatability, but the 10% caught me off guard. The alcohol is barely detected,which is different thatn most beers with higher ABV's.
Delicate sweetness is evenly distributed throughout the beer.
Overall, i truly do enjoy this beer...more so once in a while rather than often. Treat it more like the name suggests it to be....chocolate

3.84/5  rDev -7.5%

This beer shows very well. Very dark black with slight hints of crimson along the edges of the snifter. Very little head but what little is there, is a dark tan. There is a little lacing on the side of the glass, more reminiscent of a scotch than a beer.
The smell is of mocha, roasty malts and a spicy hop flavor. My complaint is that there is way too much alcohol smell.
The taste is better than the smell with more bitter chocolate flavor being more pronounced and less of an alcohol taste, but it is absolutely still present. It reminds me of a 70% coca bar dunked into some hard alcohol. There is some malt characteristics but i find them to be pretty subdued.
The mouth-feel is pretty good. There is a fair amount of carbonation and the beer finished pretty dry.
All in all this beer is weighing in at 10 abv so some alcohol is expected to be present but the current recipe doesn't do well in covering it. I think that this stout would be much more enjoyable if the alcohol were dropped a few points or if more effort were put into covering it up.

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%

black. a fizzy, tan head with large bubbles that settles to a thin layer with moderate lacing, and the smallest trace of it lasts throughout.

aroma of some dark fruit, plums figs and currants, alcohol and bitter chocolate.
mouthfeel that is unexpectedly lighter than you'd think.

it's rich and bitter like a good dark chocolate. there is warming sense from the alcohol, but it isn't out of proportion. a raisin, plum like flavour.

the finish starts bitter and ends with chocolate notes.

i bought a few extra bottles that will try to go unnoticed until next winter, when they are needed most!

3.78/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Opaque deep brown/black with a very thick, creamy brownish-tan head. Looks awesome in the glass!

S: Initially milk chocolate when poured which quickly turns into a dark chocolate scent; roasted malts; mocha

T: Dark chocolate with a bittersweet flavor that is well balanced. A bit of a bitter coffee-like aftertaste in the finish. Slight alcohol booziness. A bit of a metallic-like flavor.

M: Awesome! Full bodied and very creamy. Medium carbonation.

O: Nice brew overall. The chocolate flavor is very pleasant and the brew itself is well balanced - not overly sweet or bitter. The only thing I didn't like was a slight metallic-like flavor. It's not a dealbreaker though and the brew would go great with a chocolate desert!

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

Had this on tap at the local option in Chicago.

The appearance was as expected, very used motor oil dark brown. Head stayed around nicely, which is not common for this type of beer in my experience.

The smell of chocolate and malt is very present.

The taste was so very smooth. No bitterness from the dark malts, no astringency, no hop bitterness. It is almost like complex chocolate milk! Usually when a stout gets this smooth, it starts to taste like water. Somehow this one has in your face malt and chocolate flavor, while maintaining a very smooth taste.

Overall this was one of the best RISs I've ever had for my palette, and I've had both Dark Lord and Surly Darkness.

4.87/5  rDev +17.3%

'05='06 bottling

A: Pours thick, black and creamy with a thick, dark cocoa brown head

S: The smell is of dark chocolate, roasted malts with a hint of mocha and coffee

T: Here is where this wins me over. Amazing dark chocolate flavor that is not too sweet. Hints of mocha and roasted malts comes through and balances this perfectly. Bitter dark chocolate aftertaste persists.

M: Smooth and creamy, perfect feel

D: Very tasty and not too sweet, definitely enjoyed as a desert beer watching the game.

This stout quickly moved towards the top of my list of stouts. I would definitely reccommend this beer, even to the uneducated. Next time I plan on buying a few and aging for a couple of months; I feel it can only get better with time

Poured from 12 oz single into a tulip pint glass. Appearance is completely black with less than a finger of well tanned head. Smell is heavy on espresso with some chocolate and maybe licorice. Taste is as advertised: chocolate at the front with coffee finishing with milky chocolate. Mouthfeel is creamy and carbonation is not very noticable. Not the most drinkable ale I've had-- its nearly 11% ABV is too much to mask and more than two in one sitting would be a bit much. Well done though, even if it's not my thing.

4.65/5  rDev +12%

I poured the black viscous liquid into a pint glass. Somewhat surprised that the head was minimal but as I drank it left a beautiful caramel colored lace down the glass.
Coffee and chocolate in the nose. A lovely thick malty aroma.
First thought: YEAH!! It was a very smooth malty presence with a comforting bitter after taste. The initial sweetness lingers for awhile then is washed away with a blast of coffee bitterness.
"Calm, Cool, Collected" Nice crisp carbonation.
Quite a remarkable beer. A stout that has a wonderful sweetness as well as a defined bitterness that is amazingly balanced. Quite an accomplishment. Big Props.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery