Companion Ale | Brooklyn Brewery

New York, United States
brooklynbrewery.com

Style: Wheatwine

Added by John_M on 09-24-2011

On tap at The Common Table.

The beer pours an orange-amber color with a white head. The aroma has quite a bit of orange citrus and biscuit malt, with a lot of sugar as well. The flavor is more complex than the aroma. I get a lot of wheat and biscuit malt notes, as well as some alcohol, orange and pepper notes. There is also a little bit of floral notes from the hops. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A nice wheatwine.

3.21/5  rDev -17.1%

Served in a snifter at Lunar.

Admittedly, this beer was the reason I even stopped at Lunar this evening. It pours a clear golden amber topped by a finger of cream-white foam. The nose comprises banana, wheat, mushroom, honey, and tin. Something seems a little weird here, but it's not really offensive; just unexpected. The taste holds notes of honey, lots o' cracked wheat, light rye bread, light greens, nutmeg, vanilla, cinnamon, and a vague sense of mustard greens. The body is a straight medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a sorta syrupy feel. Overall, a bit of a disappointment. It's got some strange elements mixed in there, but none of them are truly offensive, but rather off-puttingly odd. That said, I still ended up enjoying this beer for the most part. Weird, right?

3.97/5  rDev +2.6%

Growler filled at Green Growler Grocery in Croton-on-Hudson, NY

Pour is super clear, dull lighter amber, minor head, and minimal lacing.

Honey, flowers and yeast in the nose-yum

More honey on the palate, some lite smokyness, biting lime, Belgian yeast goodness, earthy hop dryness in the finish. Tasty stuff...Heady at 10%, but the alcohol is well hidden. Nice night capper kinda brew

2.96/5  rDev -23.5%

16 ounce pint - $9.00 at Taco Mac in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Light copper-hued body, good clarity, and with a smallish, white head that thins out into a lasting ring.

Smell: An aroma of half-chewed gum, still leaking out a bit of fruitiness and implied sweetness atop a squirt of liquor and modestly bready malts glazed with golden syrup.

Taste: Lightly malty, with only modest touches of delicately toasted wheat loaf. Then, here's a sweet taste of Bubblicious bubble gum, carrying hints of lychee, white peach, and bland apples. The beer seems to forgo hops and bitterness, leaving you chewing on this gum quality until the lightly warming finish. A curious beer, every cautious sip has me coming up with gum.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium carbonation. Smooth mouthfeel.

Overall: Not so much a treasured, dear old Companion and more of an Acquaintance, one who you wouldn't hesitate to duck down behind a soup display in a grocery store to hide from. Yes, fellow shoppers, I'm squatting down behind a pyramid of Campbell's fine condensed soups.

4.83/5  rDev +24.8%

Beautiful Triple. Lovely flavors and mouth feel. Rich, reminded me of Cuvee de Kaiser Blau.
On Tap at Fireworks Arlington Virginia.
Small Glass due to 10% but nice sipping beer.
Its going on tap at Flying Saucer Austin tomorrow and I suggest a pilgrimage.

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

3.97/5  rDev +2.6%

750 mL bottle from a box set with the Oxford Companion to Beer. This one was allowed to warm a little bit before being poured into my Brooklyn Brewery tulip.

The Companion pours a relatively clear orange. Backlighting results in a nice display of tangerine and yellow lacing. There's more than three fingers of off white head, and it shows very good staying power. Lacing is the only place this beer falters appearance-wise, as there's really none to be found. The nose is very fruity. Banana is what jumps out at me first, but apricot, peach, and grape among others make an appearance as well. There's also analcohol aroma present. The flavor pretty much follows that outline. Each sip is like reaching blind into a mixed bag of excellent fruit candies. The sweetness is very rounded and full, which I'm crediting to the special floor malted grains used in the beer That's all balanced by a booziness that's quite warming and integrated into the flavor profile. The body is solidly full, with a carbonation that cuts through the sweetness and adds a bit of excitement to the mouthfeel. The Companion's a very good beer, and a worthy way of celebrating the Oxford Companion to Beer. I just wish there was a way of getting my hands on some more bottles that wasn't so cost prohibitive.

2.91/5  rDev -24.8%

A: Pours a clear bronze with a one-and-a-half finger fluffy white head that lasted for the duration of the drink. Little lacing (but I think that may be the bar's fault).

S: Take a banana split and pour high-proof rum on top. Light it ablaze, and that's what this smells like to me.

T: Unfortunately, the taste closely follows the nose. Lots of banana and booze without any real development.

M: The body and carbonation are very nice. The ethanol burn would be welcome on some nights (think heavy snowfall, roaring fire in the fireplace, etc.).

O: I really wanted to like this one going in. However, the taste really was one-dimensional and not overly pleasant. This might prove to be a decent beer if the banana and rum were toned down somewhat.

4.7/5  rDev +21.4%

On tap at the Blue Tusk in Syracuse, NY, poured to a 12oz mug at the bar.

Appearance (4.0): ALMOST clear body, a light orange-amber with essentially no head or lacing to speak of. Head and lacing seem pretty typical for the style, but it’s on the light and clear side for a wheatwine.

Smell (4.0): Light candy-sweetness, with earthy fruit notes—apricot, with hay. Beautiful, bucolic, lightly sweet. Wildflower honey, but drier.

Taste (5.0): Amazing. It’s smooth, with a light, brassy tartness from the wheat malt, with spicy hops that bring in a long, blonde-sweet finish, like light brown sugar was used in finishing . . . not heavy or cumbersome like other –wines. Some booze, but it’s a nice touch. Yeast and malt combo is very, very German in nature. Absolutely beautiful.

Mouthfeel (5.0): Creamy, syrupy and on the heavier side of medium, with an active, velvety carbonation! Again, beautiful beer and amazing mouthfeel for the style.

Overall (5.0): Phenomenal. Drinkable as hell. Just a beautiful, smooth, relatively light and bright, joy-to-consume wheatwine. All other wheatwines should keep this one in mind as a benchmark of sorts . . . if all wheatwines were this enjoyable, they’d be as popular as barleywines. Absolutely wonderful, this was the highlight of the night.

4.55/5  rDev +17.6%

Sapsuckers of Huntington has this beer and as most people know I'm partial to Stouts/Porters. However, this beer is excellent and will definitely have a few glasses of this beer. In flavor it reminds me of a Belgian quadrupel. A nice clear amber colored beer with a white head. Sugary notes on the nose with hints of caramel, and maple. It is a slightly syrrupy beer in the mouth with a sweetness that is well-balanced and a slight effervensce that helps clear out the syrrupiness. An excellant beer, highly recommend it!

4.85/5  rDev +25.3%

Let me start out saying that wheatwine has almost always been a bit of a letdown for me in the past, with the exception if White Oak, ( a Belgian take on the style). Hefe is my favorite style and I love Belgian Wits. Generally any style that includes wheat I tend to gravitate towards except this one. So I go to the opening of On Tap at Whole Foods Columbus Circle to get my book signed by Garret and check out the place. The Companion was the star of my two flights and I wound up buying 128 oz to in three growlers to take home . While I have notes from which I will post my review of this stuff on tap I will go in depth with the growler I scored and get cozy with what is a really fine beer. This is my personal favorite in this style to date.

Appearance is a clear golden amber with a very large slightly off white head, very good retention and nice amount of lacing. Beer stays covered for the entire glass. Smell is full of floor malt and big chunks of yeasty bread. A light undercurrent of sweet alcohol and pepper. Lovely fruitiness has banana notes and white grapes. Taste is big and bready with the malt being the star of this beer. Floor malted wheat gives a level of depth that I have never experienced in this style. There is a bread flavor that recalls toasted light whole wheat with butter and strawberry jam. I mean the flavors are so British tea time. Biscuits and butter. Jam and toast. The sweetness of the malt and alcohol are beautifully balanced and all I want to do is indulge myself in the flavors swirling around my tongue. Yeasty fruit esters and bakery. Peppery edge hides the alcohol so well you have to let the beer warm to find it. Event then it is stealthy. Hops are earthy and dry with a clean quenching signature. Finish leaves dryness and bready malt along with toasted biscuits. Feel is so light and crisp the only tip off to the strength is when you are legless. The carbonation fine and smoothly crisp with a drinkability so far beyond what I have experienced before that it goes down more like a good lager that a strong ale. You start out treating it like a session beer. This is just a great overall beer with a kick like a velvet hammer. Deliciously full flavored with complexity and nuance, it is more than I expected from the style and just what I expect from Garret Oliver. I am pleased to be rating this one highly. It is the best of the style I have had and is a benchmark for me.

Brooklyn has been coming out with some very interesting one-off beers lately and this certainly fits into that. I had a twelve ounce draft of this at my local bar.

Pours a light amber with lots of carbonation that sticks around for a while and leaves some good lacing.

The light wheat can definitely be detected in the aroma as well as a dark fruit and hops.

Flavor was very interesting, also combining the wheat, malt and hops into a perfect tasting, although very strong, beer.

I would recommend this if you can find it. Very good beer.

Companion Ale from Brooklyn Brewery