Brooklyn Pilsner | Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery
New York, United States
brooklynbrewery.com

Style: German Pilsener

Brooklyn Pilsner is a refreshing golden lager beer, brewed in the style favored by New York’s pre-prohibition brewers. In the 1840’s, the pilsner style emerged from central Europe to become the world’s most popular style of beer. Like its ancestors, Brooklyn Pilsner is traditionally brewed from the finest German two-row barley malts. German-grown Perle and Hallertauer hops provide a crisp, snappy bitterness and fresh, floral aroma. The flavor of the malt comes through in the finish. We ferment Brooklyn Pilsner at cool temperatures, and then give it a long, gentle maturation (lagering), which results in a beer of superior complexity and smoothness. We believe that you will find there to be none finer. Unlike mass-marketed so-called pilsners, Brooklyn Pilsner does not contain cheap fillers such as corn or rice, nor does it contain any preservatives or stabilizers. Brooklyn Pilsner is the real thing.

Added by UncleJimbo on 03-06-2001

Ratings: 1,091 |  Reviews: 501
3.87/5  rDev +6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.26/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Ok, I'm doing this one from memory, but here goes:

Brooklyn Pilsner is a quality product made from good ingredients, but my experience was that the bitterness was out of control. Years ago I bought a sixpack of this because I liked the regular Brooklyn Lager, which I would drink sometimes if I couldn't find Yuengling Traditional or Sam Adams on tap. There is no question I am an Amber Lager guy most of the time, so I thought their flagship was a good quality product that was just a bit too bitter and hoppy for my taste (drinkable, even enjoyable, but not optimal). Since Pilsners are supposed to be lighter, and often turn out to be more delicate overall than Amber lagers, I thought that Brooklyn's Pils might turn out to be the best product in their lineup for me specifically I was wrong. Their Amber Lager was more bitter than optimal for me. But their Pils turned out to be undrinkable. The details:

The appearance was entincing. A large stable head that looked like I could float the cap on it, and a dark gold color that (to me at least) promised good things)

The smell was pleasant too. Clean sligthtly sweet malts and strong, assertive, slightly floral hops.

The taste was impossiblet though. the malts were again, clean, and slightly sweet, but like I said in the intro, this beer was impossibly bitter. As in this is the only beer I can ever remember trying where I had to pour it out because it was too bitter for me to finish. Thining maybe this was an acquired taste and maybe I was just a wimp, I let my 6pack sit in the fridge for another day or so then tried again. Same result. I had to pour my bottle out. It was literally undrinkable for me. But I hate wasting beer. So I decided I'd cook with it. I used 2 more bottles to boil a dungeness crab. The cooked crab was also too bitter to eat! I shit you not. I've never experienced anything like that. I've cooked with beer for years, everything from MGD to Bass and never has any other beer I've cooked with imparted any noticeable bitterness to the finished product. But Brooklyn Pilsner did somehow. I had to toss the crab. Still waste not, want not. I tried to pawn the last 2 bottles off on my unsuspecting mother who typically drinks manlier beer than I do and has a better tolerance for bitterness (she loves black coffee with no sugar I can barely drink coffee at all even drowned in milk and sugar). Same result, She couldn't finish a bottle either, and I had to throw the last bottle away.

Feel: Nothing wrong with the mouthfeel. If this beer wasn't impossibly bitter, it would be a great session beer. But given that it was impossibly bitter and the taste lingered, drinkability was not good either.

Overal, if they used the exact same recipe but didn't go absolutely insane dry-hopping the stuff (I'm assuming that is how the produced the impossible-to-drink bitterness that I recall from my soul sixpack of Brooklyn Pils, their website lists 2 varities of very good pilsner hops used for this beer, and then mentions that they dry-hop which is not, to my knowledge, particularly common for this style of beer), I'm pretty sure this would have met my general expectations and been one of the 3 best pilsners I'd ever tried (the 2 outstanding ones I've had to date are Czechvar and Urquell), but instead, what I got was something too bitter to drink. Still maybe I am a wimp. Or maybe I got a bad batch. If you see this individual bottles or on tap it may be worth a try. But my experience with it was definitely not good.

4.01/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Look - poured from a 12 oz bottle. Lemon yellow in color, large head that dissipates quickly with virtually no lacing left behind.
Smell - malts, some light hops. None of the skunkiness or unpleasant odors from adjuncts, which in itself is a huge plus.
Taste - as advertised, crisp and simple, malt forward taste and very clean finish. Flavor is light, but everything is there.
Feel - light bodied, medium-high carbonation, and standard ABV at 5.1%.
Overall - good pilsners really don't get much better than this. The style is simple, but a good one really comes around once every blue moon (no pun intended). I can drink this one all day long.

4.29/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Glad to see this Pilsner now in a 12 oz. can. Thanks to Brooklyn Brewery, this is an excellent Pilsner amongst a sea of IPAs on store shelves. Light bodied but plenty of hop taste. I think it's preferable to their more widely distributed (at least in my area) Lager. I enjoy IPAs but also the alternative of a well-done historic style such as this product.

4.39/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Chilled Brooklyn pilsner was poured from a bottle into a pint glass, mid-June of 2018. This beer has a slight attractive aroma. The head is not very long lasting, there is minimal lacing. The body is a healthy light gold. Now for the good part. The flavor is a memorable hop-forward experience. The mild malt and european hop character are well integrated. There is a healthy bittterness that lingers after swallowing. This might be my favorite Pilsner style beer in the New York City metro area.

4.07/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.63/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pilsner glass. Pours a 1" white head that drops rapidly with very little lacing. Color light golden with moderate streaming carbonation. Aroma of floral and herbal hops and lightly toasted malt. Mouthfeel is light and crisp. Flavor is led by the hops and seems a little weak in balancing malt sweetness from start to finish. Overall it is very good but not outstanding.

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.68/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.86/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A-A very clear golden golden color with a nice head and lacing
A-Aroma has hop and grainy hints
T-Taste follows the nose with hop and grainy flavors
M-A light bodied well carbonated beer
O-A decent pilsner

3.35/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

From a 12 oz. bottle in a winter seasonal variety pack
Served chilled in a weizen glass

Appearance: Unfiltered hazy pale gold color with obvious floaties, three-fingers of long-lasting frothy cream-colored head, decent lacing
Aroma: Light nose, but mostly malts
Taste/Flavor: Very nice mellow flavor, quite more than expected from the nose. Well-balanced. No strange after-taste, seemingly unusual for this style
Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body, moderate carbonation, mostly smooth crisp finish, very nice on the palate
Overall: This is a superior pilsner. For those who care about such things, it contains no adjuncts such as rice or corn, neither does it contain any stabilizers or preservatives. I wonder if perhaps this is why I found it preferable to most pilseners made with adjuncts and preservatives??

3.9/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A bright gold beer, quite translucent, with tiny white bubbles on the head. Aroma is strong with the breads malt and tang of hops. “Pilsner” flavor is prominent, with the malt and hops well-defined and balanced. You can easily tell this is a Pilsner, and not a beer which is labeled as a Pilsner but tastes like a light lager. This beer is much more in the style of Germany’s Pilsners, which is why I’m giving it such high praise. This will be my new stateside widely-available Pilsner. Great stuff.

3.72/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Looks a 3 on the SRM color index. Smells like mild doughy fruitbread Taste is super crisp and clean,as a Pilsner should. Not overly carbonated.Almost perfect malt balance finish. A really good representation.

3.58/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into a pint glass. Best by March 2018, so I'm going to guess 3 months old?

crystal clear pale golden yellow body. small white head leaving a little lacing.

faintly barnyard/floral aroma

a little bitter on tasting, faintly grainy.

close to medium on the mouth, slightly sour and bitter on the finish.

overall, just a little off to this palate. not clean or crisp.

3.98/5  rDev +9%

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.74/5  rDev +2.5%

6 pack of bottles purchased at Wegmans. Poured into pint glass
Appearance- golden, 1/4" head disolves quick but nice lacing of glass
Smell- slightly hoppy but not unless you are really making an effort to inhale. Wish i didn't have to work so hard to smell it.
Taste- slight spicyness and very slight bite. Pleasant balance but nothing noteworthy
Mouthfeel- crisp throughout
Overall- would certainly get it again for an easy drinking beer if i was going to drink throuhgout a game or while eating a big meal of german food

3.63/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.13/5  rDev -14.2%

3.56/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.03/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.14/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle with a date

Smell is sweet malt and herbal hops. Taste is crisp and clean: flowers, grass, crackers, bit of salt, slightly peppery finish. Good amount of hops, pleasantly bitter aftertaste.

Very enjoyable pilsner. Could drink this every day

3.12/5  rDev -14.5%