Thomas Jefferson's Tavern Ale | Yards Brewing Co.

Thomas Jefferson's Tavern AleThomas Jefferson's Tavern Ale

Yards Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States
yardsbrewing.com

Style: English Strong Ale

This powerful and complex golden ale pays homage to Founding Father and fellow brewer, Thomas Jefferson. Yards Brewmaster, Tom Kehoe, worked closely with Philadelphia’s historic City Tavern to recreate this recipe, employing honey, rye, and wheat, just like the beer Jefferson made at Monticello.

Added by NeroFiddled on 08-01-2002

Hazy golden color, overcarbonated with a beige head and lots of sediment. Oxidized/Infected peppery aroma and flavor -- very much like old TJ's homebrew recipe gone bad. Very surprising considering the Best By date. Medium-full bodied but seems light due to overcarbonation.

A bit pricey to take the chance of trying it again... Sorry Yards -- Bone up on the Quality Assurance!!

Label States: "Strong Golden Ale" & "Authentic Recipe" & "Bottle Conditioned"

Best Before: 04/24/06 (lasered on neck)
Tasted: 10/21/04

($1.79 / 12 oz.)

2.15/5  rDev -43.1%

A Poured into a draft glass and it had a nice head with alot of carbination. The head quick faded away and left a hazy amber color. Not overly impressed.

S Smell was average with a lot of carmel malt notes. Also had the winter warmer alcohlo smell to it as well

T I must say the taste was not that great. On first swallow it gave me the shivers as if I just took a drink of NyQuil. After the 5th swallow I started to get used to it but still not a good a good thing. Way to much alcohol taste. Now I know how they kept the men to stay during the revolution after taking many of beat downs early.

M Again not impressed. I can't seem to shake the NyQuil shivers with every swallow.

D The more I drink the less I like it. I'll sleep good tonight or I'll be praying to the porceline god. I would not recommend this beer to anyone.

2.21/5  rDev -41.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

2.22/5  rDev -41.3%

12oz bottle to stange. Sampled 4/5/11.

A: Large 3 finger head, khaki colored, foamy/fluffy and long lasting. The body is orange-amber and lightly hazy at first. Clarity improves after warming. Tattered half sheets of lacing from the head with even better coverage from the body.

S: Toasted caramel. Grassy/resiny hop qualities come through. Earthy hints. Light diacetyl.

T: Malt forward with rather non-descript flavor and aroma profiles. Alcohol is noticeable, but not solventy and not to a detriment.

M: The ABV might actually be more apparent in the mouthfeel. Medium-full body with a thick, semi chewy, yet slick and boozy texture. Carbonation is soft.

D: After making my way through this Ales of the Revolutiony variety case...I guess historically recreated beers just aren't my thing.

2.41/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Had before but almost a year since now that I'm rating and tried again. Honestly, tastes like a strong light beer.

2.42/5  rDev -36%

Thomas Jefferson's own recipe, so they claim. He knew how to make a powerful ale, it seems.

He didn't care too much about defined (or even good) tastes, and the look is otherwise what you'd expect from this ale. It's all sorts of awkwardly bitter at the end too, but drinkable for an 8 abv.

So there are tradeoffs, and you can't be more Virginian than drinking this stuff on President's Day.

2.44/5  rDev -35.4%

2.52/5  rDev -33.3%

2.59/5  rDev -31.5%

from the bottle:

Yards has recreated Thomas Jefferson tavern ale- a strong golden ale-
from ingredients originally specified by Jefferson himself for
semi-annual brewing at his estate Monticello.

***

Poured into my pint glass a clear copper color with a small head that quickly dissipated. Smells sweet…tastes sweet with a tiny bitter aftertaste. The alcohol is a definite presence.

I tried a bottle of this beer on 2 separate days to determine if I really disliked it that much. I have to say I do.

This beer is almost flat. It has a cloying sweetness.

I don’t know what Mr. Jefferson was thinking.

Not a great beer. And its pretty expensive. I would not buy this beer again.

2.68/5  rDev -29.1%

12oz into pint glass
A- Light amber with 3 finger lacy white head.
S- Malty, a bit of 'C' hops.
T- Really sweet, like high fructose corn syrup sweet. A little bit of citrusy hops.
M- A bit thick, decent carb, but just cant get past the thickness.
O- Really cant get past the sweetness on this one, its not a caramelized malt sweetness, its something else entirely, just doesn't taste right.

2.7/5  rDev -28.6%

(Bottle into pint glass) Poured a cloudy dark amber with a very small head that didn't last at all. A ton of heavy toasted grains in the nose, but otherwise no distinctive aroma. I might even venture to say it was burnt... Mouthfeel was very pleasant, but holy hop! The hop bitterness and the roast overpowered everything. About halfway through the glass it became too overpowering and I wasn't able to finish. I don't think I'll be back to this one, which is disappointing since I tend to like the Yards offerings.

2.76/5  rDev -27%

2.8/5  rDev -25.9%

2.85/5  rDev -24.6%

Thomas Jefferson's Tavern Ale from Yards Brewing Co.