Pynk | Yards Brewing Co.

Pennsylvania, United States
yardsbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Availability: Fall

We brew each batch with over 3,000 pounds of fresh raspberries and both sour and sweet cherries. The addition of fruit prior to fermentation makes this crisp ale tart instead of sweet. It’s pink in color of course, light-bodied, and refreshing with delicate, delectable berry aromas. We’ll bet the farm that there’s no better autumn seasonal around.

Added by NeroFiddled on 10-26-2003

I love it. It has a great refreshing taste and is for a good cause!

4.75/5  rDev +29.4%

4.64/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.48/5  rDev +22.1%

4.36/5  rDev +18.8%

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

If you like sours, this is a very good beer. I am a huge fan of sours, and I think this is one of the more underrated options available. I live outside Philly, so it's probably more available to me than most. It has an excellent look, a dark pink color when poured. It's brewed with cherries and raspberries, but it's not your typical "fruit" beer. What I mean by that is you get the sourness from the fruit, but not the sweetness like many expect. If you don't know what to expect, I understand people who do not like this beer. If you are into sours, this is a very good beer especially for the cost... plus, you're supporting the well being boobs, a cause we can all get behind.

4.33/5  rDev +18%

This was a good lambic. The beer looked great, but I must say the best thing about the beer was that they did not make this too sweet. This made it very drinkable and less like a fizzy fruit drink and more like the fruit beer it should be. A real treat. This balance in taste made it much more drinkable. I would definitely have this again.

The beer distributor at the bar told me they separate this beer in the brewery so the yeast don't make the other beers sour. This made sense and when you drink it you'll understand. You could definitely taste some of the sourness, which along with the hops moderated the fruit.

4.3/5  rDev +17.2%

Its clear, reddish-orange body is capped by a short but creamy head of delicate white foam that drops to a razor-thin lid but somehow manages to leaves some thin, lingering lace about the glass. The nose is lightly sweet and delicately tart with a slight Brettanomyces character (barnyard, horse blanket, wet hay, etc.) that's not strong enough to keep the uninitiated away, but strong enough to keep the aficianado's interest. The body is thin and it's gently crisp on the tongue with a fine carbonation. The flavor follows the suggestion of the nose with a mild sweet-tart character laced around delicate fruit (berries and cherry, but not particularily raspberry per se). It finishes short and dry, leaving the palate yearning for another taste as it's been tempted but not satiated. This is an exceptionally drinkable beer! Easily and without a doubt, the most balanced "infected" beer I've ever had. It may not be from Belgium, but it's certainly worth trying!

4.3/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.28/5  rDev +16.6%

4.27/5  rDev +16.3%

This review is for the bottled version, dtd M, 02 Dec 2013. I am not going to touch my original review.

From the bottle: "When we first got into brewing, it was just to make beer for ourselves. Friends liked it, so we made more. As our circle of friends has grown, so has our line of handcrafted ales. We're proud of each and every one we brew. We hope you and your friends enjoy them as much as we do."; "Released from the archives, PYNK is crafted with the freshest raspberries and sour cherries around. ith a subtle berry aroma and touch of sweetness, this light-bodied, tart ale is all-too-drinkable."

I LOVE the recumbent, satiated piggy of the label! I am often referred to as "a drunken pig" or some such and so I identify with him.

I have to admit - little has changed. Once more, it looked like cotton candy for head and I was laughing. The color was much lighter, more like rose wine and the clarity was button-bright. SRM = N/A in this case. The raspberry nose made me want to weep for my grandmother's garden and the resulting pies and preserves from her annual yield. The mouthfeel was slightly thin, but the tartness spoke to truth in advertising. It was not puckeringly tart, but neither was it sweet. This little piggy was licking his lips. Finish was tart and dry and I would have some more of this.

Original on-tap review, dtd 25 Nov 2006 follows:

I just wanted to laugh as I looked at this beer in my glass. The head looked like fresh spun cotton candy and the beer's color was a hazy, dark-pynk, I mean, pink. The nose was rich and sweet with raspberries. It reminded me of my paternal grandmother's (R.I.P.) raspberry patch in her backyard garden when I was a lad. The mouthfeel was thin-to-medium with a sweetish raspberry flavor, not unlike jam, on the tongue. The finish was more dry and tart, more like what I expected at the outset. I am giving this high marks for drinkability as this was only its second release in three years, so I recommend getting while you can.

Politically Incorrect Phrasing Alert: If you are easily offended or have an abbreviated sense of humor, please do not read any further.

It's not a guaranteed panty-peeler, but it will go a long way towards achieving the desired result.

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

Very happy to enjoy several small glasses at the Yards Brewery tasting room, Philadelphia-on-Delaware, PA.

Pleasing pale orange/pink slightly cloudy brew with minimal head formation.

The aroma is berries and cherry, with a hint of lambic-type funk. Mouthfeel light a la wit. Flavor of tangy berries and a lemony sourness that is looking towards true lambicville but still plays it safe; however, I applaud this effort wholeheartedly for this is no fruity-sweet soda-pop fruit beer but a true, refreshing hybrid that I would say falls somewhere between true fruit lambic and fruit-wit. Yards is a serious and talented artisanal brewery that deserves accolades for creating well-conceived authentic efforts like Pynk as it serves up hoppy goodness for the American beer masses.

Perfect summer quaffer!! If only it had been a sweltering muggy Philly summer day instead of damp, cool and rainy.

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

It's not as "tart" as the label promises, which is probably why I like it so much. It's sweet and it's pink and I don't care who sees me drinking it. It's damn good.

4.2/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.19/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

4.19/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.16/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pynk from Yards Brewing Co.