Poor Richard's Tavern Spruce Ale

Year-round
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Poor Richard's Tavern Spruce AlePoor Richard's Tavern Spruce Ale
Notes: Based on Franklin’s original recipe, which called for barley, molasses, and essence of spruce, our Tavern Spruce is as approachable and engaging as was the man himself. We source blue spruce clippings from a local organic farmer, steeping them in the kettle to create this one-of-a-kind deep amber ale.
Reviews: 214 | Ratings: 610 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by Thedraftdoctor:
3.7/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.79/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - The beer poured a copper color with visible carbonation and an off-white head.

Smell - The beer had notes a dry grass and light spruce.

Taste - Dry hay and light cracker malts were at the front of the taste. Light spruce notes sit in back, but seem like an after thought. A spruce beer could stand more spruce.

Mouthfeel - The carbonation lent itself to the dry mouthfeel.

Overall - This is a nice beer. I just want more spruce in my spruce beer.

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

A-red/amber brown appearance.
S-sweet and spiced smell.
T-nice mild hop, but filled with complex sweet and spicy flavors.
M-not a lot of carbonation, relatively light beer.
D-Beer needs to be drunken slowly to appreciate the complex flavors. Not the easiest to drink very quickly.

I really do like this beer for its complexity even though it isn't the most drinkable of beers. Drink this when you want to try something different. All of the Yards "Ales of the Revolution" are really interesting/complex beers.

2.87/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a Double Barley can-shaped glass. Bottleneck says Bottled On 082416.

A- Pours a reddish dark amber color with a 1/4 inch light tan head that retains a bit before becoming a paper-thin ring around the edge of the glass and a large center patch of sheer surface foam. Resilient lacing leaves large clots behind.

S- Spruce as expected with a bit of toasted malt sweetness behind it.

T- Strange flavor of spruce and some bitter component that I don't believe is caused from the hops but I could be wrong. The flavor of this beer does not have me looking forward to the next sip at all. I wish the molasses was more prominent so that it could counteract the bitter flavor I'm perceiving.

M- Somewhat sharp with medium carbonation and a body leaning toward the fuller side.

O- This beer is limp in almost every category. Muddled and unfocused flavors lead to an unpleasant drinking experience. If this is what beer tasted like in revolutionary times, I'm glad I live in the 21st century.

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

Served from cask from the beer engine at Dawson's, an outstanding small beer bar in the far reaches of Roxborough/Wissahickon, Philadelphia-on-Schuylkill, PA.

I had tasted this at the Yard's brewery the day before from a keg, and found a pleasing spruce aroma upfront, but it backed off in the mouth, leaving a really nice balanced ale.

A full pint from the beer engine produced a dark dark amber brew with a huge creamy head. Mouthfeel amazingly creamy, casks really augment the Yards brews (and maybe all beers). The spruce aroma was barely detectable at first but came across on tasting as a well-integrated and very enjoyable component to a very balanced and drinkable ale, surprisingly so. Rather than overwhelming, the spruce finish felt like I was standing in a forest or at least in my grandmother's living room with the heat from huge 1950s electric lights releasing vapors from the Christmas tree into the air (threatening to burst into flames). Highly enjoyable and worth several pints.

3.94/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

It's my father's birthday and the first one without him. Today I make my 700th review. I miss you dad, I think you'd find this one to be right up your alley.

I really like this unusual and delicious beer. Brilliantly clear with a huge head, reddish brown amber. Impressive retention and lacing. Head is dense, high and stays all the way down. Quite lovely.

Nose bring a multifaceted sweetness. Caramel malt, light brown sugar, spruce is delightfully sweet as well.

Taste follows the nose. Lots of caramel, mild breadiness. Earthy, mild hops and piney spruce. Spruce flicks out a faint alcoholic sharpness but it is subsumed in the swallow and lingering pine.

Feel is medium weight. A good fall density. Smooth light carbonation has a bit of light creaminess though a pinch more might bring it to a better place for me.

An unusually and delightful change up session ale. Keeping in mind the time that the recipe for this and all the other Ales of the Revolution series, this review is for a glass at a cellar temperature. When I had my first bottle right out of the refrigerator the spruce took over and ruined the beer. Let it sit for twenty minutes or so, to let the caramel bloom and balance the bitttering components . Then sit back and enjoy each sip

3.29/5  rDev -9.1%

A-dark amber with a sticky cream colored head

S-faint scent of..evergreen? It's a unique smell. Not one that I love. It's weak

T-comes in with a taste of buttercream, some caramel, and maybe a hint of spruce. It has some winter spices in there. Tastes almost like an old ale. Matching faint after-taste.

M-creamy no carbonation. Expected from the cask.

O-it's just a mediocre beer. I was expecting more from a piney ale. I guess I always expect good beer to be on tap. This was pretty much a let down. The flavors are so weak, it reminds me of an adjunct. Though there are no off flavors!

3.07/5  rDev -15.2%

A: brown amber, little head, spotty lacing at best
S: sweet, almost tobacco-like, definitely spruce
T: the spruce may be a gimmick, but it's definitely present; only slightly bitter; malty
M: light-bodied, a bit watery
O: Not much here, other than the novelty of pine. If you want a swing of Christmas tree, minus the Christmas ... here you go.

3.71/5  rDev +2.5%

Look: Reddish brown color, small head, light lacing

Smell: Pine, ginger, brown sugar

Taste: Up Front: Malty, pine, slight spiciness. Finish: Dry, sweet and minty

Mouthfeel: Light and tingly (in a non-gay way)

Drinkability: At 5% it could be a session beer if you like spicy, otherwise it could be a one and done.

Overall Impression: This brew reminds me of Christmas ale, so it is a good winter beer. I feel like I just quaffed a brew with our founding fathers. I feel the need to fly a kite in a electrical storm now!

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

3.79/5  rDev +4.7%

Crystal bright reddish copper color with a good off white head that maintains a slick of bubbles and leaves good lacing on the glass.

Very light aroma. If I use my imagination, I think I can smell a whiff of malt and spruce, but I am not too sure. The spruce is definitely present in the flavor, offset by a bit of molasses and leading to a herbal bitter finish. Balanced and tasty.

Medium light mouthfeel with good carbonation. Overall this is a beer that one would really want to be a spruce aficionado to try. The spruce is not subtle, but is well done. I am sure this one is good for whatever ales (ails) you. Give it a try!

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.13/5  rDev -13.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - A rust/dark amber color with little head of carbonation.

s - Smells strongly of spruce and pine, as well as cinnamon, some spices, and maybe a little bit of malt.

t - Small amounts of spruce and pine, but not as much as I was expecting. Tastes of pepper and spices.

m - Very carbonated and light bodied.

d - This beer was decent, but not my favorite. I didn't think the spices and spruce were very flavorful, and thought the smell and taste were a little lacking. I wouldn't buy this one again.

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Poor Richard's Tavern Spruce Ale from Yards Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 82 out of 100 with 610 ratings