Love Stout | Yards Brewing Co.

Love StoutLove Stout

Yards Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States
yardsbrewing.com

Style: English Stout

Our brewers have poured their hearts and roasted malted into this rich, slightly sweet stout. Luscious notes of coffee and chocolate accent the smooth, creamy, mouth feel. We will not apologize for any amorous affairs resulting from the consumption of this beverage.

Added by stirgy on 05-16-2002

1.5/5  rDev -60.4%

2.18/5  rDev -42.5%

I open the beer and the head rushes to the top, I have to sip some to hold it back. It pours a deep brown/light black color but the tan head is huge, so I have to wait a bit. Smell is weak but I get some sweet chocolate and maybe some roasted coffee flavors. The taste begins with a nice semi-sweet chocolate flavor but in the middle I pick up on a saltiness. There's a salty/sour mix that is really throwing me off. I can't even finish this beer b/c of this flavor. It seriously almost reminds me of seaweed or the ocean, but not in a good way. Really weird and really not my thing.

2.36/5  rDev -37.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

2.48/5  rDev -34.6%

2.51/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

2.52/5  rDev -33.5%

2.54/5  rDev -33%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 1

Smelled like wet dog. It was fine otherwise, a nice enough low-alcohol stout, but I couldn't get past the smell enough to ever justify a repeat purchase.

2.61/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Dark brown with generous crimson highlights. I'm always a little leery if a stout isn't opaque. This one is nowhere close when backlit with strong sunlight. The beige cap is large, firm and pitting. It falls slowly and unevenly, leaving a small amount of lace behind.

Love Stout doesn't really smell like a stout. On second thought, it smells like what I imagine a 'Belgian stout' would smell like since it has that phenolic funkiness that I typically associate with Belgian yeast. There's a faint roasted maltiness in there, but none of the other usual stout-like aromas.

The Belgian character is evident on the palate as well. Thanks to the appearance of a weak chocolate maltiness, LS is now more recognizable as an English stout. It tastes like someone took an average quality stout and added a few ounces of Orval to it. Not good. The finish is roasty, funky and sour. The mouthfeel is light-medium and is porter-like.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but Yards Love Stout is not a beer that I found to be enjoyable. Maybe it was the oysters, but something did not agree with my taste buds at all.

2.66/5  rDev -29.8%

Bought this on a whim in a mixed-six. I never knew Yard's made this brew and was immediately reeled in by the labeling and intrigued by the description.

I do consider myself a solid stout fan, but this is a tough beer to drink.

It has a unique aroma that first reminded me of a smoked sausage. Definitely has the roasted coffee-like finish typical to most stouts.

All-in-all, I'd say that this is the Carmen Electra of beers...nice look, questionable taste.

2.67/5  rDev -29.6%

eyes...
2 fingers of thick tan head, settles down nicely and is sticky as a movie theater floor, black and quite opaque like obsidian, your pretty standard looking stout.

nose...
smoky with a nice roast background, coffee with hints of chocolate, maybe not the most complex thing but it very nice.

taste etc...
way too light, this drinks like water, the roast flavor is there but is also thin. the body on this is awful, this is not much to write about, the flavor is not terrible but the mouthfeel is so distracting.

verdict?
no love for this one. I love this about as much as I love root canal.

2.71/5  rDev -28.5%

Appearance:

Pitch black w/ huge light tan head.

Smell:

Difficult to discern, there is almost a void of smell here, and thus it is uninviting.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Completely lacks character. If I were to drink this blindfolded I'd be hard pressed to lable this a stout. Unremarkable and disappointing.

2.72/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

It had a distinct hop smell and light maltyness character to the nose. Taste was of mild roasted malt, quickly washed away with crisp hops. It reminds me of a couple black ipas I've had. A one time beer only for me.

2.85/5  rDev -24.8%

2.9/5  rDev -23.5%

Got this bottle in a holiday self mixed case. I had a Love Stout years back and remembered that it was brewed with oysters. I checked the website and that is not the case anymore. Wonder what type of impact that has on the flavor and character of a stout? (I’ll take that question to the forums.)

Anyway… The Love Stout pours a very dark brown color; approaching black. No real head to speak of, just some cloudy tan wisps on the top of the beer, and even that is all gone before I’m halfway through the tasting. There is almost no lacing.

Really the first thing to jump out at me about this beer is that it tastes eerily similar to an ESB. It has similar notes in the nose (roasted malts was all I was able to get,) is smooth on the front of the palate, and has a slightly bitter finish. The difference that jumps out is that there is very little carbonation that creates a silky mouthfeel. Nothing striking about the flavor.

I thought the Love Stout was a decent brew, but there are many other stouts that I would choose before getting to this one.

2.92/5  rDev -23%

Appearance: A dark brown pour with a mahogony tent when put up to the light, and a one finger tan head

Smell: A lot of musty dark fruit and very subtle roasted malt, the slightest hint of chocolate if you search for it

Taste: Same as the nose, but somehow even worse; stale dark fruits and stale light roasted malt

Mouthfeel; Light body, and way too light and drinkable for a stout. Slight bitter finish

Overall: idk if they were old bottles, but this was worse than i imagined. It reminds me of Guinness Extra, which is far from a compliment. Everything about it screams weak, stale, and watery. A six pack runs $10 around me. A bomber is the same price. Thats a freakin joke! Im surprised by some of the high ratings. Glad i only got a single. Everything iv had from this brewery is average at best. Pass this up

2.95/5  rDev -22.2%

I don't know what the "love" in here is, but I'm not a fan. It's looks nice enough with a pitch black body. And it smells fine with big roasted grains. Then in the flavor something goes wrong. Again, there's the big, black grains along with a distinctly English yeast milk or cream-like flavor. But there's an awful astringency that throws it all off and makes me frown and put my glass down. I didn't finish this one.

Love Stout from Yards Brewing Co.