Philadelphia Pale Ale | Yards Brewing Co.

Philadelphia Pale AlePhiladelphia Pale Ale
Liked This Beer
3.7 w/ 1,007 ratings
Philadelphia Pale AlePhiladelphia Pale Ale

Yards Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States
yardsbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Not to be boastful, but we honestly believe all others pale in comparison to this one. Crisp and hoppy, Philadelphia Pale Ale is brewed with Pilsner malt and American hops, which impart a surprising citrus aroma.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2002

Liked:
3.7/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,007 |  Reviews: 323

Perfect Pale Ale for me. Could drink them endlessly.

4.92/5  rDev +33%

Yards Philadelphia Pale Ale is an exceptional entry in the pale ale style. Perfectly hopped for a pale ale with some simple citrus notes, possibly even approaching into IPA territory, but with a light crisp mouthfeel that clearly establishes this product as a more "drinkable" beer that can be enjoyed sip by sip or by someone who's digging in their heels for a long night.

I can see why some people are giving this beer lower marks, but its subtlety is part of its charm. Spend some time enjoying its balance instead of looking to get your tastebuds blown away, and you'll be very surprised.

This one of my favorite beers ever. Period.

4.85/5  rDev +31.1%

I was surprised to see the other reviewers giving this beer such low marks.

I picked up this brew via a Yard's Variety Pack case (12 oz bottles) and found it absolutely delicious. I've kept it cool, perhaps a little too cool for this style (I'm guessing I'm keeping it around 40-50°).

I usually drink this in an Elizabethan beer glass (funnel-shaped). It keeps the head to a minimum but affords a wonderful view of color.

It's bit hoppier than I expected for this style---felt almost like an IPA---but I may be influenced by English-style Pale Ales. (I note that Troeg's entry in this style was also pretty hoppy.) That's not a complaint; I like hoppy. Just didn't expect as much of it. (It's been a while since I've had a Three Floyd's Alpha King, but I don't recall that as quite as hoppy.) And, despite the hops, it's not bitter.

Mouthfeel is delightful, a clean, crisp feel.

I expect to continue stocking this beer.

4.81/5  rDev +30%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +28.4%

Philadelphia Pale Ale from Yards Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 53.1% out of 100 with 1,007 ratings