Philadelphia Pale Ale | Yards Brewing Co.

good
Philadelphia Pale AlePhiladelphia Pale Ale

Yards Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Not to be boastful, but we honestly believe all others pale in comparison to this one. Crisp and hoppy, Philadelphia Pale Ale is brewed with Pilsner malt and American hops, which impart a surprising citrus aroma.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2002

Reviews: 316 | Ratings: 971
3.15/5  rDev -14.4%

12oz bottle from Secret Santa thecarster1 poured into a pint glass.

This one pours a hazy straw yellow with a big effervescent head that recedes very quickly to a small cap fed by a steady stream of bubbles. Sparse lacing.

The aroma is very light with lemon zest and toasted bread as the main aromas. There is also a grassy character to the nose as well.

The taste wasn't as good as the aroma for me as there is very little hop presence that I can gather, maybe some faint lemon grass. Unfortunately, there is also a metallic bitterness in the finish which is a little offputting.

The mouthfeel is overcarbonated and very effervescent. It's very light overall, thin in fact.

This is a fairly unimpressive pale, especially in the flavor which leaves a nasty metallic bitterness on the palate after each sip. It's still very refreshing and light-bodied - not bad as a lawnmower beer.

3.15/5  rDev -14.4%

It is golden in color with a fluffy white head that holds pretty well. There are a lot of little floaties in this one, and it looks like a snowglobe, just golden. The aroma was very unique, but I picked up some pale malts and some dough.

The flavor is lacking a bit. It has a sweet start of malts. It then dries out to a taste of white bread. The flavor certainly wasn't bad, it was just simple and there was something missing. I needed more flavor, and maybe a slightly different flavor. It does well for a drinker, however.

3.14/5  rDev -14.7%

Bought a case from Canal's in Lindenwold, South Jersey. Bottled on date, I noticed when I got home, was a little more than a year. Not sure how that may have affected the beer, if at all. Poured in a pint glass, it is a clear light gold color. The head is pillowy foam and enormous, taking up half the glass. It dissipated very slowly and left some lacing. Attempted to pour another slowly and the same thing-seems way overcarbonated. Dark brown "flakes" settled to the bottom of the glass-maybe yeast, but have not ever seen that before. Smells of citrusy hops and slightly herbal. Tastes of hops with biscuity malt and an earthy taste. Mouthfeel is light and very carbonated. I think this was an interesting brew. I enjoyed the taste, but was turned off by the overcarbonation, huge head, and brown flakes. As mentioned earlier, the case I bought was pretty old, so I would definately try it again and update this review if I find it different.

3.13/5  rDev -14.9%

This pours out with a golden body with a tall foamy rocky white head that I had to wait for to go down before finishing the pour. Good amount of lacing was left as well when this was consumed. The aroma was overall pretty weak with a light floral and citric scent being the only obvious components. Not the most flavorful either but that taste was interesting as there was a bit of caramel malt mingling with the citric flavors with a touch of pine. Pretty good flavor that could have been better if it was a bit less subtle and tried to get noticed. Mouthfeel was about average for the style with no particular pluses or minuses. Not the most robust and flavorful APA but a decent one none the less that I would probably try on tap if I came across it.

3.13/5  rDev -14.9%

Pours golden with a thin, white, well-retained head.

I thought I lost my sense of smell for a moment...After deep smelling, some citrus becomes noticeable. As the drink progresses, it becomes stonger, but always stays mild. Orange citrus dominates.

The taste, at first, is of strong citrus - stronger than I expected because of thin smell. Orange and grapefruit make a grand appearance. My first thought - is this an IPA? But, upon more sipping the hops become subdued. Unfortunately, not much takes its place. Some barley malt seems to be there, but does not do much more than peek out, overrun by...water (a tad bit too salty water at that). I soon realize - this isn't necessarily overly hoppy as it is lacking in malt. The citrus is okay, but not balanced well. This beer needs more balance in the taste. Water is in place of where more malt should be. As it progresses - well, near the end - it balances out somewhat, but is still lacking.

A certain hop chewiness nearly saves it. And, even a touch more water and it would fall apart. Not as harsh as the first few sips led me to believe.

It does become smoother, as the malt finally makes a brief, though belated, appearance. I was surprised at how quickly it went down, but it did not leave me longing for another. A bit too harsh of a start, a bit too much water in the middle and not balanced enough for me.

Overall - an average-ish pale ale. Not terrible, but nothing more than decent-at-best, IMO.

3.12/5  rDev -15.2%

After moving out to Philadelphia (or what I tell everyone, since I'm right outside) I decided to scout some of the local beers. I came upon a twelve pack sampler from Yards, and decided I would blindly go into it. I had never heard of Yards, but it looked fairly distinguished from the other local brews. The sampler had four of their "signature ales", and I decided to go with the light, easy drinking Philadelphia Pale Ale. Here's my breakdown:

Served from bottle into tumbler pint

A - Light gold, crystal clear, with a light yellow-white bubbly head right off of pour. Slowly fizzles down to a creamier 1/4" head after a few minutes. Retention lasts through the entirety of consumption with little lacing left behind

S - Light, sweet aroma, with a dull hint of some citrus

T - Like the smell; a lightly sweet taste, with citrus notes to add a tangy finish

M - Very light-bodied, clean feel. Very smooth and drinkable

O - I think this is a good beer. Nothing that really jumps out at you, but something that would cater well on a hot summer day. I can see myself getting some of these for a nice barbeque outside, where I don't have to worry about them filling me up. The low ABV (4.6%) will allow for more consumption, too, which is always a plus!

3.12/5  rDev -15.2%

Poured from standard 12oz. brown bottle at home.

A: Clear straw coloring. Think head that dissolves surprisingly quickly.
S: Little to be honest. Very faint hint of grapefruit. Maybe some grain, but really not much.
T: Sharp, crisp citrus flavoring, followed closely by a barley malt graininess. The hops come out in the middle, but the earthy taste that followed stood out more.
M: Thin. Goes down easily, but I feel it’s almost too watery.
D: Very drinkable, but I could see myself getting bored with it before too long.

Good pale ale to have on standby. But I’d probably go with something more exciting when available.

3.09/5  rDev -16%

this yards brew is, in a word, average. nothing more. nothing less. pours a light amber/orange colour with a bit of a haze and a mild head. fruity and floral smells are apparent. surprisingly, not much taste here. seems more watered down than i would hope for from a yards beer. what you've got here is essentially a basic, a non-daring pale ale. would i drink it again? yes. would i go out of my way to find this brew? no.

3.09/5  rDev -16%

I too had this beer at Citizens Bank Ballpark in Philly, Pa. However, I was very dissapointed.

My beer had all of the telltale signs and premonitions of a good beer. The beer poured with a nice head that lingered down my plastic cup. It also had a very nice citrus aroma.

However, the taste and mouthfeel suffered. The beer was unbalanced; there was absolutely no foundation of malt to counter the lingering bitterness in the aftertaste. Moreover, the body was paper thin... no substance at all.

I had a hard time finishing my glass. It was one and done for me.

3.09/5  rDev -16%

Pours a very pale golden color, almost more like a straw yellow, with about a finger and a half of white foam. It's hazy, as well, which strikes me as odd for a pale ale. Keeps a thin but full lace and leaves a ring or two of stick.

Smell has a zesty citrus aroma, more like lemons and grapefruit rind than juicy orange. Also a bit of grain and a modest sweetness.

Taste also has some zesty citrus flavor but it quickly turns south as a sharp, metallic astringency takes over the palate. This is at least my 4th Pale Ale from this variety pack so it's not just one bottle, but it's quite bothersome. There is a subtle sweetness, as well, and a grainy bite, plus some bitterness in the finish, but I can't get past the metallic flavor.

Mouthfeel is on the thin side to begin with, and the metallic astringency kills it. It dries out in the finish as well, with the hop bitterness.

I first tried this beer about 2 years ago, right before the whole ownership shakeup or whatever it was, and didn't care for it but wrote it off as QC issues before everything settled down. This is fresh and new, though, and I still don't much care for it. I like the 3 other brews in their variety pack, and who knows, maybe this is better on tap, but this is not a pale ale I'd come back to a 3rd time.

3.06/5  rDev -16.8%

Transparent-light brown/orangish color. Pours a tiny fluffy white head that disapates quickly, leaving what looks like a cloud in a sky of orange-brown. A fairly attractive looking beer...Its smell is disappointing though. Somewhat of a grainy and sour aroma. Maybe the style though, this is my first english mild pale ale. Taste is a little sour but its overall hop flavor is an enjoyable bitterness. No prevalant malt taste. Carbonation is non-exsistant and body is medium. Couldnt drink many of these, its too sour. Maybe this one was starting to get a little skunked. I got a six pack of it, if the others taste different I will edit the review.

3.06/5  rDev -16.8%

A - Pours with two fingers of white foam on top of a lightly hazy, golden body. The head settles at a moderate pace and leaves nice lacing on the glass.

S - an aroma of bready malt, light fruit, and a bit of solventy spice.

T - light, dry malt up front with some lemony tang in the middle. Finishes with lightly peppery notes and a touch of herbal bitterness.

M - A moderately light body, average carbonation, and a dry finish.

D - This is an odd one, very little hop character and a lightly acidic lemon flavor throughout. More like a blonde ale than anything I'd call a pale ale.

3.05/5  rDev -17.1%

Served in a 12 oz. bottle. The color was golden, with only a bit of head retention. The smell was mostly of malt, with a hint of hops. The taste was mostly yeasty, with a flat aftertaste. The mouthfeel was smooth. Drinkability-wise, not great, but if it was all there was........

Another disappointment from Yards, I'm sorry to say. Maybe their beers are better on cask, but this offering in the bottle is average at best.

3.03/5  rDev -17.7%

A pale golden color - head is very large, white - had to wait for it to settle to finish the pour. - The beer itself was also highly carbonated - a little too much for my liking - it seemed on the extreme end for the style. Very little hop aroma - just a slight woody aroma. The high carbonation made it difficult to discern specific flavor elements. Seemed to be a good summer brew.

3.02/5  rDev -17.9%

Had this one on tap, it pours an orange-yellow with a small white head.
It smells of citrus and hops with a little bit of pine and floral scent snuck in there as well.
Things take a downturn when the beer hits your mouth. The citrus flavors, particularly grapefruit and lemon, are almost overwhelming, although gradually some grassy tastes come through as well. Somewhat sweet and hoppy with a bitter finish, more like an IPA.
The mouthfeel is thin and very clean; I think this could be refreshing on a hot day.
Drinkability: I've tried this one three times at various bars, and each time, I have only wanted one pint before remembering I don't really dig it and moving on to something else. There are some nice notes in it, but the flavor leaves me desiring a little less grapefruit and a little more of something, anything, else.

This beer pours a slightly dark yellow color with a huge fluffy white head. There are copious amounts of yeast/sediment in the bottom; I had to leave about an inch left in the bottle to keep my pint clean. It smells of light hops and oddly (for a PA) of yeast. I think they could have left off with the bottle conditioning, and the CO2 level is too high anyway with the large and annoying head. Taste is very dissapointing. Thin and smooth with a strange phenolic bite and minimal hopping. Even the malt seems to be missing. Thin mouth, not tasty enough to have a high drinkability. Very uncharacteristic beer from this otherwise good brewery.

2.98/5  rDev -19%

A: Straw color with a big head that disappears slowly. Head sticks the sides of the glass. I like that.
S: Citrus smell followed by pine.
T: Very grapefruit and refreshing.
M: Somewhat hoppy feel, stays with you for a while.
D: Better summertime beer, drank this in March. Very clean.

Not a grapefruit eater, so the beer did not appeal to me. But could see many followers of the beer.

2.98/5  rDev -19%

a- bottle poured into a pint, one finger head that vanished quickly leaving a nice layer of lacing a mix of large and small bubbles, lace sticks around a long while, load of carbonation, pale yellow color.

s- bitter grapefruit, lemon, very floral, sweet, not sure i've ever smelled an apa like this.

t- odd for an apa, very crisp, crackers, biscuit, no real malt profile that i could pick up, tangy hops, finishes very dry, not very balanced for an apa.

m- little on the thin side, good bit of carbonation, lingering bitterness.

d- for me it's just ok, when i grab an apa i want a nice balance between malt and hops and this didn't deliver, in all fairness on the label they call this a 'non traditional style', this just didn't hit the spot for me unfortunately.

2.98/5  rDev -19%

On tap at the philly airport between terminal B&C

A-This bubbly head, golden light color, hazy, decent retention a little lace

S-Big hoppy green and floral kind of medicinal floral like a stargazer lilly aroma but there is also BO scent there (no really...BO)

T-Big hoppy pine, green and lots of floral . Some malt is quickly pushed back by the floral hops

M-Ligth and fizzy nt a lot there

D-I could only have one of these

Overall-I don't know if this keg was bad or what, but it was quite odd, not like any APA I'v had.

2.97/5  rDev -19.3%

12 ounce bottle poured into a "tulip" shaped Samuel Smith Imperial pint glass.

A - Extremely pale tranpsarent yellow color with a tiny white head. Looks more like a blonde ale or even a macro lager.

S - Subdued hop aromas with tiny malt smells.

T - Extremely clean, basically lacking any real distinct flavor.

M - Thin and light in body. Good for a session brew perhaps.

D - Could be good for a six pack on a hot day but no really great characteristics that make it an exremely drinkable beer.

2.96/5  rDev -19.6%

12 oz bottle from Trader’s Joe. Pour pale straw with a long lasting white head. Aroma is of perfume hops, citrus fruit and biscuit malt with some hints of pairs. Body is medium and crisp. Piney, earthy hops, followed by biscuit malt on the palate, some sourness is present. The finish is medium and dry. This brew needs some caramel malt for color and flavor.

2.91/5  rDev -20.9%

This brew pours a golden honey yellow color with a 1.5 finger head and no lacing. Medium carbonation.

The smell is of floral hops, orange a little bit of grass and a little bit of sweet malt.

The taste was as expected, orange and floral hops combined with sweet malts.

The mouthfeel was creamy, clean and crisp.

Overall I was not impressed by this brew. It is a standard American Pale Ale but not a memorable one; there are better examples of this style out there. On the plus side this brew will go down easy on a hot summer day.

2.9/5  rDev -21.2%

hadn't had this til now. I really am glad that I didn't. this beer really does nothing for me. maybe it is the way it was stored but it was a little skunky. I do get a little crackery malt which is in line with the pale ale style from my experience. not much on the hops though. very watery looking, sudsy white head. not bad for a beer under 5% but really does nothing for me. if compared to other mass produced pales (sierra, dale's, which are both more Americanized I will admit, and maybe my palate is more attracted to the hoppyness,) it really doesn't measure up. nonetheless, I would drink it again, but only if it was the best choice available, which depending on the location, it very well could be, I know it is a popular draft beer here in NJ, possibly at bars that only otherwise serve macro lagers.

2.79/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Had picked up a six pack real quick for a get together.

A. Nice dark gold with a small off white head. Lacing was nice.

S. Smell was slightly yeasty with some hints of citrus. Nothing was too strong, almost nonexistent just about.

T. Taste was also pretty bland. Again like the aroma, the taste was yeast with a kick of citrus. The yeast was more prominent. The citrus flavor was minimal and bit your taste buds late.

M. The feel was not too full, on the lighter side of things. The lack of fullness did not coat the palate.

O. Overall the beer is not bad. I maybe would get it again, but I will
need to be I a jam to do that

2.73/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

Pours a calm hazy golden color with beautiful carbonation. Modest head with quite a bit of lacing.

Smells of delightful citrus and grapefruit. Not a whole lot of hop bitterness in the nose.

This beer looks and smells great, but the taste is a little bit lacking. There's a funky, almost sour, bitterness that off-sets the fruitiness of the citrus. It's also undercarbonated which makes it feel quite flat. Very light body for an APA though, which is understandable considering the relatively low ABV.

Philadelphia Pale Ale from Yards Brewing Co.