Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Philadelphia Pale Ale | Yards Brewing Co.

Philadelphia Pale AlePhiladelphia Pale Ale
3.7/5
Good
Philadelphia Pale AlePhiladelphia Pale Ale

Yards Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States
yardsbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Not to be boastful, but we honestly believe all others pale in comparison to this one. Crisp and hoppy, Philadelphia Pale Ale is brewed with Pilsner malt and American hops, which impart a surprising citrus aroma.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2002

Ratings: 1,010 |  Reviews: 324
3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

3.78/5  rDev +2.2%

A bright white head sits on top of a golden straw color beer. The head is tall and a bit soapy. Gentile carbonation entices one.

Aroma is the high point of this brew. It's bright and citrusy in it's hop bouquet with sutle sweet malts.

Taste was a bit of a let down. It lacks in flavor and is rather harsh on first sip. Malts have a bready yeasty finish.

Like I said: harsh at first but settle down after it starts to warm. Has a clean finish.

See this is where I know some of my reviews didn't make it to the other side for this beer is a perfect down the shore beer. I wrote that in my oringal review. The low alcohol makes it a good session brew.

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

3.12/5  rDev -15.7%

After moving out to Philadelphia (or what I tell everyone, since I'm right outside) I decided to scout some of the local beers. I came upon a twelve pack sampler from Yards, and decided I would blindly go into it. I had never heard of Yards, but it looked fairly distinguished from the other local brews. The sampler had four of their "signature ales", and I decided to go with the light, easy drinking Philadelphia Pale Ale. Here's my breakdown:

Served from bottle into tumbler pint

A - Light gold, crystal clear, with a light yellow-white bubbly head right off of pour. Slowly fizzles down to a creamier 1/4" head after a few minutes. Retention lasts through the entirety of consumption with little lacing left behind

S - Light, sweet aroma, with a dull hint of some citrus

T - Like the smell; a lightly sweet taste, with citrus notes to add a tangy finish

M - Very light-bodied, clean feel. Very smooth and drinkable

O - I think this is a good beer. Nothing that really jumps out at you, but something that would cater well on a hot summer day. I can see myself getting some of these for a nice barbeque outside, where I don't have to worry about them filling me up. The low ABV (4.6%) will allow for more consumption, too, which is always a plus!

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

Philadelphia Pale Ale from Yards Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.7 out of 5 with 1,010 ratings