Philadelphia Pale Ale | Yards Brewing Co.

good
Philadelphia Pale AlePhiladelphia Pale Ale

Yards Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States
yardsbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Not to be boastful, but we honestly believe all others pale in comparison to this one. Crisp and hoppy, Philadelphia Pale Ale is brewed with Pilsner malt and American hops, which impart a surprising citrus aroma.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2002

Ratings: 1,006 |  Reviews: 323

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

*New version*. Bright pale golden orange with the fluffiest white head of foam. Consistently good carbonation creates nice lacing. Aromas are all amarillo and simcoe hop goodness, with a bready, biscuity malt base to back up the show. The taste is a fresh hop explosion laced with the flavor of fresh baked rolls. The mouthfeel is creamy, and almost cask-like from the tap, and the drinkability is very very good. An awesome pale ale!

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

Note: realized I put this review under the wrong category (Yards IPA) a few months ago. Just moving the review to the proper place...

Reviewed on: 01-05-2012 05:31:27

Got to say it: I loved this beer.

Had this on tap at Irish Pub on Walnut during a trip to Philadelphia yesterday.

A fingers worth of head sits on top of a light, slightly hazy, honey colored body. The lacing on this brew is wonderful - I love it when the circular residue follows your sips all the way down like the notches on a tree. It smells great - grassy, candied citrus. Taste follows the nose with a little hop but not that much. It's fruity and even kind of creamy. Leaves a great taste behind.

I've never heard of this beer and it was delicious. I'm sure it was a fresh batch on tap, but maybe this beer is also underrated.

Give it a shot!

Reviewed on: 01-05-2012 05:31:27

I love this beer.

Well balanced hops and malts. Depending on what I'm eating, or my mood, I find myself noticing one or the other more prominently at different times. I think this speaks to beer's balance.

Hands down the most reliable, best valued beer in Philadelphia. Yards always works with quality ingredients to produce fine quality products like this original PPA.

4.47/5  rDev +21.5%

Pours a light golden color with decent head. Aromas of citrus and pine, really nice. Tastes much like it smells. Crisp and refreshing with a pleasant bitter finish, nice balance. Nice carbonation and light on the mouthfeel. Honestly this is my go to beer any time of the year. I could probably live on this stuff. Not overly complex, but definitely interesting and I like that. I'm still surprised every time I drink this beer how much I love it.

4.47/5  rDev +21.5%

Enjoyed yard's Pale Ale from the Tap and then a case the next day!

Man PA is wonderful for the out-of-towner!

The Appearance is lovely on this IPA nice light colored tan/brown look on this summer looking ale. The smell is golden heaven, hoppiness taking over with floral, tropical citrus notes, my favorite...Taste is nice, not too carbonated, just right, feels great on the palate. Overall i pushed this on everyone i interacted with up in PA, it was my favorite..

Had a few other brews from Yards, and we stormed through a mixed case as well so i must hype this brewery. Enjoy!

4.46/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Exceptionally smooth even out of the bottle. Great citrus aftertaste and overall a mild IPA

4.45/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Not your typical pale ale. First off, the color is "off". Expecting your average or traditional coppery amber color, you're instead presented with a solid gold, sort of sunny yellow hue. Looks like an overly carbonated adjunct lager, and I'm sure this effects the taste perception for some. I happen to like it for what it is and the head is almost always very thick and cottony from the pour with ample, sparkly lacing. Aside from some specks of yeast floating around, it has a clean, filtered appearance.

I've seen some people describe the aroma and subsequently the flavor as "cat pissy". On rare occasions, I sense something like that, too, but I find, by and large, it offers a firm, uniformly appealing hop character - nothing offensive. I'd describe the hop aroma as floral/perfumy, herbal, grapefruity (to a small degree), and piney more than anything else. Little bit of a zesty yeast thing wafting around as well.

This is brewed with pilsner malt and, knowing that, the beer does look and drink like a spicier, hoppier Pilsner Urquell. It's a mindfuck - calling this a pale ale when it's very pilsner/export like. It has some grainy attributes in flavor and feel to go along with a quite herby, almost rosemary, hop essence. Hardly thin and watery either, which I think would turn me off. Enough substance to satisfy, quench, and accompany/wash down summer grill foods and salads very nicely.

Hey, it's probably the weaning - or purely regional - but this is a fantastic beer, preferably on tap. Worth a shot if you come across it and it's reasonably fresh. Most assuredly sessionable. Brush aside expectations, close your eyes and drink it. You'll love it or hate it. I don't care, I'll drink it all the same.

4.44/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a real spot on APA. Not to over the top, basically a real fine session able beer.
One of the best in the style that I have ever had.

Philadelphia Pale Ale from Yards Brewing Co.