Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

La Sarrasine | Brasserie De Bouillon / Le Marché De Nathalie

Style: Witbier

Added by TheLongBeachBum on 08-02-2005

Reviews by downes51:
1.84/5  rDev 0%

I bought a case of this stuff on my visit to Bouillon in August 2006. It is a LOT different from its stable-mates, although recognisable within the characteristics of the house style. I think this means that the same strain of yeast is used. Perhaps it's an acquired taste. Anyway here's what I thought. Open the bottle and stand back. I've opened 6 bottles now and they have all spurted all over the place, however cold you chill it. So get ready. Pour it out, dodge the splash and you get an orange milky sludge with an enormous head. And then watch out. The smell? Awful. The taste? Likewise. I'm really trying to be constructive about this stuff but I can discern no redeeming features at all. They have chucked a lot more than hops into this. There's cinnamon I think, maybe cloves. Altogether.... well I've got a case to get through and I'm not going to throw it away. If my opinion of this improves, IF I acquire the taste, well I'll let you know!

Update, July 2007. I've thrown it away.

3.92/5  rDev 0%

No freshness date. Poors out without too much of an head and is a nice cloudy golden beer. Has some chunks in it but not noticable in mouthfeel. Nose is very spicy, lots of koreander, orange, gagel and other spices. Taste is also good and spicy, peppery, fresh koreander, citrussy and some good maltyness. Sour hint there to make it extra fresh. Could have some more carbon dioxide for better mouthfeel but still enjoyable brew and IMO good witbier with carracter.

La Sarrasine from Brasserie De Bouillon / Le Marché De Nathalie