Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings!

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Moat Square Tail Stout | Moat Mountain Smoke House & Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Moat Mountain Smoke House & Brewing Co.
New Hampshire, United States | website

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

A Foreign-style stout. Invitingly smooth, clean and full –bodied, excellent to enjoy anytime of year. Roasted malt in mouth finishes with coffee and chocolate notes.

Added by BillyBrew on 10-06-2002

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 29 | Ratings: 87
4.2/5  rDev +5.8%

Excellent stout. Dark, well roasted, carmel taste. Went down smooth with a pleasant bitter taste. I enjoyed this beer very much. Not over filling either, did not leave me with that sometimes "bloated" feeling as experienced with other stouts. A gem.

4.13/5  rDev +4%

Growler filled at Moat Mountain Brewery last night and poured this afternoon.

Fully opaque black with a full fluffy tan head and sticky, well retained lace.

Scent is roasty coffee and soft bittersweet chocolate. A hint of smoke perhaps.

Soft chocolate flavors, roasty notes, roasted coffee and a very subtle citrus hop note in the background. Not a particularly sweet stout, in fact there actually seems to be the tiniest hint of sourness when rolled to the sides of the tongue. The roasty qualities are perhaps a bit understated for an export stout, though they are certainly present. There's a nice bitterness that lingers on the tongue while you contemplate the next sip.

Oily and slick medium mouthfeel, little carbonation.

Very easy to drink. Each sip left me wanting another and when the pint emptied I refilled it immediately.

This is a delicious stout and I'd happily drink it again.

4.12/5  rDev +3.8%

Had on-tap at the source, before getting a growler fill.

A: Arrives black as all get out, with a dark brown head that fades fairly quickly. Handsome enough, with no lacing, but not unusually beautiful.

S: Very roasty, with hints of coffee and dark chocolate. A real pleaser.

T: Taste follows nose, with the roastiness being prominent, followed by some coffee and chocolate notes, and a healthy balanced bitterness. There's a distant licorice note in there, but it's very faint. Overall, a really nice, roasty, well-balanced taste.

M: A bit creamy, very smooth, but definitely on the lighter end for a stout. Personally I don't mind the lightness, but also wouldn't mind a bit more body.

O: This is one of my favorite Moat beers, and a really nice stout. The roastiness was perfect after a hike, and I imagine even better in the dead of winter. They really nail an excellent balance of bitterness and roastiness for the style. Very drinkable.

3.75/5  rDev -5.5%

Served too cold at the North Conway source 11/26. Let it sit on the counter while I enjoyed a thai fish and lemongrass wrap. Moat Mt.'s food is soooo good.

Note: not a nitro pour, for those who appreciate the non-Guinness/Beamish stuff. Syrupy molasses-looking deep brown. Head a disappearing tan.

This is a

1. sour side
2. less creamy
3. less roasty
4. lighter in body
5. not terribly cloying or mouthcoating

stout.

It's not bad, very drinkable for the style and even perhaps a stout suitable for hot days. You do need to be ready for this style, however.

4.01/5  rDev +1%

A solid stout. Black, black colour with a heavy tan, sticky head and thick lace and swirls. Black malt nose with mild roastedness. Roasted malt flavors with chocolate taste that becomes more evident with warmth. Dry medium-heavy body.

Great beverage. The right dry body with roasted malts and hints of chocolate. Cheers!

4.24/5  rDev +6.8%

A.. Beautiful dark brown/black. Some decent lace

S.. A good hearty malt awaiting you

T.. Great stout. A little hop and a good abundance of maltiness. Smoke flavors are tasty!

M.. As with any good stout this has a dry finish. Not a session stout but close with the low ABV.

O.. I really love this stout. Bought a growler too and me and the misses polished it off in an hour. It's that good.

4.08/5  rDev +2.8%

20oz. pour on tap at the Smoke House.

Wish I remembered to bring my growler. I would've filled one up.

Deep dark chocolate color, with a small head. They pour these ice cold, and right to the top of the glass, which is hard to complain about, but I would have rather had it slightly warmer, and with a little more head. Very small tan head, not much lace. I tried to let this one warm up, but ultimately poured it down my gullet fast. Very smooth and creamy, ultimately drinkable. Chocolately and slightly bitter. Very dry, which I enjoy. If I wasn't on a N. Conway shopping excursion, I would've guzzled a couple more. Great stout, nothing over the top.

3.55/5  rDev -10.6%

Sampled at the 2003 Vermont Brewers Festival.

Pours with a deep, deep black body with a thin tan head. The aroma is quite pleasant, with some nice coffee and nutty notes. Taste was quite good and smooth, rolling over the tongue with nice smooth maltiness, but it came off as a bit weak on the finish. But very drinkable, and rather pleasant.

Served: Sampler from cask available from New England BrewFest.

A: Poured nearly black with a thin, tan head.

S: For the first 30 seconds I tried this brew I had a tough time placing where exactly I had the smell of this beer before. Then it came to me. It smelled just like Chocolate and/or Toffee Taffy. There was a bitterness to the chocolate smell that could not only be described as chocolaty.

T: See above for general taste as well. More bitter that typical stouts I've tried. I don't know if that made a difference between cask and typical tap.

M: Full bodied. Very dry finish that seemed to evaporate from the tongue.

D: After one glass, I was finished with this and ready for a different drink. I didn't give this a bad grade because I was trying several beres at a festival and, also, aren't most stouts a bit filling.

Overall I would definitely give this another try if Moat Mountain was more readily available in my area.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Moat Square Tail Stout from Moat Mountain Smoke House & Brewing Co.