Moat Square Tail Stout | Moat Mountain Smoke House & Brewing Co.

Moat Mountain Smoke House & Brewing Co.
New Hampshire, United States
moatmountain.com

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

A Foreign-style stout. Invitingly smooth, clean and full –bodied, excellent to enjoy anytime of year. Roasted malt in mouth finishes with coffee and chocolate notes.

Added by BillyBrew on 10-06-2002

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 32 | Ratings: 92
3.75/5  rDev -6%

Served too cold at the North Conway source 11/26. Let it sit on the counter while I enjoyed a thai fish and lemongrass wrap. Moat Mt.'s food is soooo good.

Note: not a nitro pour, for those who appreciate the non-Guinness/Beamish stuff. Syrupy molasses-looking deep brown. Head a disappearing tan.

This is a

1. sour side
2. less creamy
3. less roasty
4. lighter in body
5. not terribly cloying or mouthcoating

stout.

It's not bad, very drinkable for the style and even perhaps a stout suitable for hot days. You do need to be ready for this style, however.

4.01/5  rDev +0.5%

A solid stout. Black, black colour with a heavy tan, sticky head and thick lace and swirls. Black malt nose with mild roastedness. Roasted malt flavors with chocolate taste that becomes more evident with warmth. Dry medium-heavy body.

Great beverage. The right dry body with roasted malts and hints of chocolate. Cheers!

4.24/5  rDev +6.3%

A.. Beautiful dark brown/black. Some decent lace

S.. A good hearty malt awaiting you

T.. Great stout. A little hop and a good abundance of maltiness. Smoke flavors are tasty!

M.. As with any good stout this has a dry finish. Not a session stout but close with the low ABV.

O.. I really love this stout. Bought a growler too and me and the misses polished it off in an hour. It's that good.

4.08/5  rDev +2.3%

20oz. pour on tap at the Smoke House.

Wish I remembered to bring my growler. I would've filled one up.

Deep dark chocolate color, with a small head. They pour these ice cold, and right to the top of the glass, which is hard to complain about, but I would have rather had it slightly warmer, and with a little more head. Very small tan head, not much lace. I tried to let this one warm up, but ultimately poured it down my gullet fast. Very smooth and creamy, ultimately drinkable. Chocolately and slightly bitter. Very dry, which I enjoy. If I wasn't on a N. Conway shopping excursion, I would've guzzled a couple more. Great stout, nothing over the top.

3.55/5  rDev -11%

Sampled at the 2003 Vermont Brewers Festival.

Pours with a deep, deep black body with a thin tan head. The aroma is quite pleasant, with some nice coffee and nutty notes. Taste was quite good and smooth, rolling over the tongue with nice smooth maltiness, but it came off as a bit weak on the finish. But very drinkable, and rather pleasant.

Served: Sampler from cask available from New England BrewFest.

A: Poured nearly black with a thin, tan head.

S: For the first 30 seconds I tried this brew I had a tough time placing where exactly I had the smell of this beer before. Then it came to me. It smelled just like Chocolate and/or Toffee Taffy. There was a bitterness to the chocolate smell that could not only be described as chocolaty.

T: See above for general taste as well. More bitter that typical stouts I've tried. I don't know if that made a difference between cask and typical tap.

M: Full bodied. Very dry finish that seemed to evaporate from the tongue.

D: After one glass, I was finished with this and ready for a different drink. I didn't give this a bad grade because I was trying several beres at a festival and, also, aren't most stouts a bit filling.

Overall I would definitely give this another try if Moat Mountain was more readily available in my area.

4.88/5  rDev +22.3%

Pulled from a tap into a pint glass a thick, coffee-black, crowned with a foamy off-white head. Deep notes of chocolate and French-roast coffee. The taste reflected this, with a bit too much bitterness. The feel was bubbly with moderate carbonation, and thick. The slight booziness of this stout warmed to the core, making it a good choice after being out in the snow.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Moat Square Tail Stout from Moat Mountain Smoke House & Brewing Co.