Arcadia Starboard Stout | Arcadia Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Arcadia Starboard StoutArcadia Starboard Stout

Arcadia Brewing Company
Michigan, United States | website

Style: Oatmeal Stout

1058 OG; 29 IBU

Added by SheepNutz on 08-07-2002

Reviews: 151 | Ratings: 231
2.46/5  rDev -28.3%

Paid $1.29 for a 12 oz. single.

A dark stout. No head, weak carbonation. Funny medicinal smell, and a hint of that taste in the background. Mostly bitterness overall though. Lingering bitterness with no real other character to back it up. Maybe it's just old, but this brewery continues to confound me with good brews and bad brews. This stout is a bad one. Yuck.

2.72/5  rDev -20.7%

Poured deep black topped by a tan head of fine bubbles.

Very mild aroma. No noticable hops on the nose.

Tastes of unsweetened chocolate with a faint trace of iron in the aftertaste. There is a pronounced bitterness, but I think its more from the oat malt than the hops.

The feel is almost chewy and very dry.

This stout improves as it warms. The bitterness just hangs with you through the whole glass and beyond, but I don't really taste hops. I wish I could score this a little higher, but the taste just doesn't do it for me.

3.92/5  rDev +14.3%

Pours a mocha head over an impenetrable black body. Aromas of dark chocolate, roasted malt and dark coffee with a just a faint trace of citric hops in the background. Flavors of Roasted malt and dark coffee with a slight sweet chocolate character as well. Mild bitterness balancing things out. There is a noticable "British" minearal character to the beer as well. Medium to full-bodied, low carbonation. Smooth with a drying finish.

Tastes a bit like a dry stout up front, but the sweeter oatmeal side pulls through placing it in the middle stout range per its style, although a bit toward the dry end of the spectrum. A nicely balanced stout that is fairly complex for the style. A good option for splitting the differences between the extremes of the stout family.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This was my second beer @ Arcadia last night. I was hesitant in ordering a second beer after the catastrophe that was Coco Loco. This beer was much better though. It poured very dark with a light head. I asked the bartender if that was a natural head and to my amazement it was an injected head. Anyone who loves this beer I beg you to come out to Long Island and go to Blue Point and try their Oatmeal Stout. Seeing as this was an oatmeal stout it gets some points but if I were to rate this as an oatmeal stout it would be an absolute yuck.

3.25/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured a 12 oz. bottle from an arcadia sampler pack into my beer mug.
A- Poured jet black with a good sized dark tan head resulting from an aggressive pour.
S- Sweet and bitter followed by the malt.
T- The two things that really stand out to me are the sweetness and bitterness of this stout. The taste is sweet throughout starting malty and ending bitter. A bitter aftertaste lingers in the mouth.
M- Thick and creamy, it goes down slick (almost slimy) like oatmeal stouts tend to.
D- One or two is enough for me.

3.65/5  rDev +6.4%

If you're looking at my reviews and saw how I reviewed the Expedition Stout from Bells, you'll be happy to know that this beer redeemed stouts for me again! I had this for/with breakfast, isn't that what oatmeal stouts are for ? ;-)

Pours like hot molasses with 1 finger creamy tan head that lingers for a while. Just a slight bitter/burnt smell, and as it wamrs you get a hint of fruitiness.

Starts out with surprisingly little flavor and quickly the bitter roasted/burnt malt and oatmeal take over. A slight juicy sweetness and a hint of fruit, that I couldn't immediately place. Then when I looked at my notes again, trying to place the fruity flavor, I saw the word juciy was directly above the word fruit, and it hit me, it wasn't a real fruit that I was tasting (which is why I couln't palce it) it was Juicy Fruit! Is this a result of the oatmeal? It seems like that flavor is present if I eat raw oats (which I do, I like the flavors of raw grains) and they start to break down to sweetness in the mouth. Bitter aftertaste.

Moderate, but not overly thich body, very light carbonation.

Stouts to me are not normally very drinkable. I will almost never drink two. But this beer is pretty drinkable, otherwise it would never have made a good breakfast, which it did!

3.75/5  rDev +9.3%

12 oz bottle. Pours a dark black, with a moderate head that receded quickly. Aroma of roasted coffee, chocolate, and malt. You can taste the malt and has a nice sweetness to it. It's kinda thin in body but has a good flavor. Nice finish that isn't to bitter. A throughly enjoyable stout.

2.82/5  rDev -17.8%

Smells like a strong and syrupy cup of coffee. Kind of looks like one too. There was almost no head to begin with and it is now gone without a trace. This is very black and inklike.
Right off the bat this thing tastes like rust. This gives way to a burnt toast flavor, and coffee that's been on the warmer for 10 hours. In the midst of all this there is a vanilla flavor that is our of sorft, but the best thing in this beer. This lacks the carbonation and direction that it sorely needs. And in the back of the throat there is an acidic and drying. Well, there will be no parade of sixers of this marching their way into my fridge.

4.02/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Recieved this brew aas part of a beer-of-the-month shipment - I am always excited to get a new stout with these. Poured a jet black color with a mocha colored head that dissapated within a couple minutes. The aroma is very nice, a malty smell along with the usual sweet cocoa/coffee notes. The flavor is full of smoky roasted malt, very smooth with a medium amount of carbonation (I wouldn't say it was too much though). I like this stout more and more with every sip - I have been looking for a beer that exhibited the smoke flavor like this one does. It reminds me of hickory bacon, something I can never pass up. Great beer, you could maybe say not a great oat stout, but this is still one to try out

3.75/5  rDev +9.3%

Served from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Very dark and does not let much light through. A very small head that dissipated fast.

Smell: Smells of roasted malt and bitterness come through with a small fruitiness.

Taste: Starts of with a burnt flavor and then moves to a roasted malt and smokiness. Finishes with a grainy flavor. There also hints of coffee and chocolate present throughout.

Mouthfeel: Somewhat thick body with just the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: I could probably only have or two of these in a sitting. A good brew overall.

This is my first beer from the folks at Arcadia and I think they did a good job. Will pick this one up again.

4.01/5  rDev +16.9%

Quite close to black with a fine textured tan head. Sheets of foam layer the sides. I love the way the beer horizon (the separation between the beer and the head) looks. It stayed that way throughout the beer.

This smells like carmel with a hint of flowery hops.

The taste is like sweet chocalate. The finish is still sweet plus flowery.

Very smooth and creamy. The persistant head creates a "milk" mustache feel. Maybe a little thin.

Very enjoyable. I always enjoy Arcadia beers, especially at the brewpub.

3.45/5  rDev +0.6%

This is a black beer, but with a surprising clarity to the depth of the blackness. It had a tan creamy head. The aroma was very roasty. The taste was very roasty and malty. The mouthfeel was appropriately creamy. Definitely to style but perhaps more roasty than some. An enjoyable beer and quite drinkable.

2.23/5  rDev -35%

What I thought was a soft pour was apparently not soft enough. This foamed up like crazy. Could only get about half the bottle in the glass and the head was rising up over the top of the rim and took awhile to calm down. What I could see of the beer it was the dark brown you'd expect from a stout with a (huge) chocolate malt top. Someone went a little too crazy in the carbonation department perhaps. Though this is a oatmeal stout the thing you smell the most is alcohol, which is weird because it's not that high of an alcohol content (5.5%), along with a bit of bitter coffee and vanilla. Not really any oat aroma at all which I find kinda odd.
The first noticed in the taste was a bitterness. Not a pleasant bitterness that a stout should have though. More like a cup of gas station coffee from a pot that has been sitting on the warming tray for a couple of hours too long. A bit of the oat taste shows taste show up too and they are roasty but it's almost like they were caught right before they were burnt to a crisp and tossed in the vat. The bitterness lingers too much in the aftertaste too.
It's a bummer because I would really like to get behind what Arcadia is doing but so far everything I've tried by 'em has left me a dissapointed.

3.55/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A-Poured black in color and when back lit, no light came through. One inch, tan head rises to the top and leaves sporadic lacing.

S-Like a good oatmeal stout should. Sweet malts, dark chocolates, smoke, and a touch of hops.

T/M-A little disappointing based on the smell. I thought the hops weren't as sweet as they smelled. The carbonation got in the way as well. Gave the beer a lighter feeling than I like out of my stouts. Finished rather dry and with an earthy hop taste at first, but as the beer warmed, the finish became sweeter. More characteristic of an oatmeal stout.

Overall this was a good beer. It didn't knock my socks off, but you won't go wrong with it.

Cheers....

2.34/5  rDev -31.8%

Hmmm In usually like some of the Arcadia brews.

Pours a dark brown/black..with decent dirty colored head

Smells somewhat sour with no real distinct goodness at all.maybe a little smokey

Taste is a a sort of burnt goodyear tire crossed with a hershey chocolate bar and no marshmellow..

im sorry i must stop now...

3.85/5  rDev +12.2%

Pours a deep black colour with ruby highlights with a beautiful off-white/light tan head which leaves tons of lacing. Smells roasty; chocolate, coffee, bittersweet dark malts and hint of caramel. Tastes roasty as well, the coffee and chocolate flavors really dominate and the oats lend a nice silky character which balances nicely with the hoppy finish.

Over all a really good beer, my favorite offering from Arcadia thus far! Silky smooth from start to finish with loads of roasty/toasty flavors and aromas, a real winner!

4.03/5  rDev +17.5%

From my tasting notes on my blog Pilgrims Pub. This beer pours a dark brown almost black with a two finger tan head that disappears quickly. Spotty lacing left on glass. Enormous roasted malt smell. The taste is of dark roasted coffee, with bitter sweet chocolate overtones. Creamy full bodied beer with a dry finish. Exceptional drinkability, one of my favorite stouts.

3.35/5  rDev -2.3%

This stout is as rich as a porter, but still a stout. Mine disappointingly had no head, just a gesture of foam crescent around the rim. Smell was very subtle roasted barley. I'm trying to track the taste, which is good, but the following description might misleadingly convey the reverse: malt and roasted barley up front hastily give way to dried, roasted coffee bean (not brewed but chewed), which then slides into an incredibly satisfying bitter finish, leaving an aftertaste of burnt pan glazing. The mouthfeel a bit on the sticky-thick side for my taste. I don't foresee drinking more than two of these at a sitting. . . .cheers!

3.31/5  rDev -3.5%

An oat malt stout, as opposed to the more common non-malted oatmeal variety. This was a silver medal winner in the 2003 World Beer Championship.

Very dark in color, it opens up very nicely as it warms. The nose is the standard coffee aroma, from the chocolate barley, with a cocoa head that dissipates a little too quickly. The flavors are complex, however, as you roll it around the tongue. It almost has a lactic feel to it, with a little silkiness from the oats, but I also detected hints of grape and plum, in addition to the expected coffee and chocolate notes. There is a definite hop presence, but it's not too firm. The lingering after-taste is mainly malt and sweetness.

It's a very nice stout and pretty standard for its style.

2.06/5  rDev -39.9%

Poured a single from Woodman's in Madison ($1.25) into a pint glass. I guarantee that this bottle came from the same six pack as the one dirtylou reviewed below.

I poured no more than 2 ounces of this into a glass before the head ballooned up and filled the whole glass. It honestly took about six minutes to pour. Huh? Head was a nice color, but it was almost comical trying to get this into the glass.

Smelled boozy, roasty and malty. There is some sort of strange chemical I smell too.

Taste was sweet and toasted, but again there was a recurring chemical candy taste that was just disgusting.

Acceptable in the mouth. Not necessarily overcarbonated, just not fulfilling either.

I wouldn't buy it, I wouldn't recommend it, I wouldn't drink it again. Horrible beer. I wonder if dirtylou and I got a bad batch?

Pours with a good two finger head. Almost no light gets through. Head of mahogany. Once the bottle was cracked, could smell the raisins and oats, sweet smell. Good taste, mixing of bitterness and sweet fruits. Little light on the mouthfeel. Drinkablility was decent.

3.35/5  rDev -2.3%

A: Dark brown in color with a tan head that quickly dissapates.

S: Major smells are immediate semi-sweet chocolate and coffee. Hints of caramel, mocha, malted barley and sweet cream.

T: The earlier mentioned semi-sweet chocolate seems to really stand out right away, with a sweet, milky follow up. Smooth, but not overly sophisticated.

M: Very light for a stout. Almost too creamy and lacks body that I am used to.

D: A good beer to have every once in awhile...not a great stout though.

3.33/5  rDev -2.9%

bottle poured into tulip glass

A: deep rich coffee color with bubbly head that dissipates very quickly.

S: I sensed that this coffee/toasted oat smell was somehow artificial. I don't know how true that is, but it tasted better than it smelled, which was thin or fake somehow.

T: Nice combination of oat and coffee flavors. It's really reminiscent of my coffee pot when I leave just a bit in the bottom and it burns--not unpleasant, really. I get the sense from many of Arcadia's brews that the flavors should be richer somehow.

M: Really pleasant in the mouth despite some bitterness to the taste: good carbonation, smooth drinking.

D: It's bitter but not too heavy, and has a nice taste, so I can see having a few of these, maybe buying it again (or not).

3.21/5  rDev -6.4%

This was out of the bargain bin at Chevy Chase. Hard to tell how this'll go.

a) Pours a dark, thick brown with only a tiny bit of light showing through the corner of the glass. Nice tan head forms but drops quickly to less than half an inch.

s) Not huge; kind of fruity, some yeasty, bready notes, some of the dark, roasted stuff coming through. Gets a little more chocolaty as it warms.

t) Kinda tastes like tobacco, honestly. There's a lot of burnt flavor, which isn't necessarily bad, and a bunch of the standard chocolate and coffee flavors. A little bit of the fruit still kicking around. I guess I'd call the finish astringent, because there really isn't another word for it.

m) Could be thicker, maybe less fizzy, but not bad.

d) This is a divisive beer. A person less bitter than I am at the world would probably find it a bit harsh (and who knows, if it had more alcohol it might cellar nicely). I guess I'd say this isn't very drinkable, but it's interesting, and I gotta give some credit for that.

4.45/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer looks beautiful in the glass. It is extremely black with a nice brown head. The aroma is chocolate with a lot of roasted goodness coming through. As others have said this is somewhat thin, but it does have big flavor, although not overly complex. It all works very well though as I really love this stout. Everytime I drink this beer, I like it more. This is the first oatmeal stout I have ever had, and it has definitely inspired me to search for more.

Arcadia Starboard Stout from Arcadia Brewing Company