Arcadia Whitsun Ale | Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia Brewing Company
arcadiaales.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Availability: Summer

Brewed in the style of a mid-19th century English Festival Ale, this unfiltered wheat beer displays a translucent orange color topped with a creamy, white head. Wheat enhances the mouthfeel of the beer and produces pleasant bread-like notes while Michigan honey provides a caramelized sweetness in the flavor profile. This beer is spiced with orange peel and coriander and small amounts of three hop varieties pleasantly counterbalances the sweetness.

Brewed with Michigan honey.
1062 OG; 17 IBU

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-27-2002

Liked:
3.51/5
Alströms:

3.79/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours an orangish-golden color with a centimeter thick head that dissipates quickly. Leaves a soapy-like lacing. There's chunks of yeast floating in the glass also.

Smell - The orange zest is the most dominant aroma, it's nice. Followed by citrus, honey, feint coriander, wheat, and hops.

Taste - The coriander is a little strong, it's quite hoppy also. Citrus, orange zest, honey, pepper, and wheat. Slight bitterness in the finish. Possibly some clove in this but I'm not 100% sure..

Mouthfeel - Light bodied with medium carbonation.

Overall - It was a little spicier than I was hoping for but it's still good. Seems more like a witbier in my opinion.

4.25/5  rDev +21.1%

4.02/5  rDev +14.5%

Kind of tan to orange colored, mostly clear, head was fair and about a finger, lacing was pretty good.

Wheat is big on the nose. Honey and citrus, a little floral and some grassiness. Taste is similar but a little more fruity and citrus, very nice!

Body is great, IMO, very soft and luscious on the tongue, easy to drink, very full for a pale wheat. I like the body a lot tho, regardless of whatever the style is supposed to be, so I'm rating it highly in this area.

This is actually an excellent pale wheat ale, and the fact it's in cans makes me even more ready to pick up another sixer. Perfect fishin' beer.

3.25/5  rDev -7.4%

3.75/5  rDev +6.8%

3.03/5  rDev -13.7%

I picked up a bottle of Arcadia's Whitsun Ale last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I have had this beer before and I thought it was ok, but I was told they changed the recipe so I thought I would review it and see how this beer stacks up to it's biggest competitor. Oberon, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on March 5th 2012. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a Weizen Glass.

A- The label looks ok, but I think Oberon's is much better. It poured a nice burnt orange color that was somewhat clear and had a nice orange tint when held to the light with three fingers worth of velvety head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left hardly any lacing. This is a good looking beer, but I wish it had some lacing.

S- The first thing I pick up in the aroma is a good amount of wheat followed by some orange rind and coriander. After that I get a pretty noticeable earthy honey aroma that really sticks out in this beer and gives it an earthy mead like aroma. This beer had a pretty unique aroma for that style, the honey makes it really different, it's ok but to me the heavy honey aroma seems out of place.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma. It starts off with a lighter malty and wheaty flavor followed by some orange rinds and some coriander. After that I get a higher amount of medium sweetness with a pretty heavy earthy honey flavors. On the finish I get s low amount of bitterness and a sweet malty orange rind flavored aftertaste. The taste is just ok, much like the aroma the honey is a little too dominate and overshadows all those spicy, wheaty and citrus flavors that I like and expect from the style.

M- Smooth, slightly crisp, with a lighter amount of medium body and a high amount of medium carbonation that is slightly prickly. This beer had a pretty average mouthfeel.

Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer and I thought that it was a pretty average example of an American Pale Wheat Ale, the heavy honey aspect that makes this beer lack the balance that comes with a good American Pale Wheat Ale. This beer had ok drinkability it went down smooth, but the flavor couldn't hold my attention so one is enough for me. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance, it looked nice and I thought the color was really good looking. What I liked least about this beer was the heavy honey aspect that seemed out of place in this beer. I wouldn't buy this beer again, I would much rather have an Oberon, I would tell someone to drink an Oberon instead of this beer, it's a much better example of the style. This was another underwhelming beer for Arcadia, it seems like they can make some pretty good dark beers but I haven't been impressed with most of their lighter beers. I had this beer side by side with Oberon, and Oberon was pretty much better in every aspect, it is much more fitting to drink on a warm summer afternoon in Michigan. I think I may have liked this better before the recipe change, the honey is too dominant, this beer needs another recipe change and they can start with cutting out a lot of that honey, better luck next time guys.

3.75/5  rDev +6.8%

3.35/5  rDev -4.6%

12 ounce bottle into weizen glass, bottled 6/14/2011. A bit too old but lets give it a shot. Pours to instant head after a loud release of carbonation upon opening(no gusher though). Eventually turns out to be a hazy and cloudy deep orange color with a dense and fluffy 2-3 finger off white head with great retention that reduces to a thick cap that lingers. Some slight bits of lacing cling to the glass. The yeast seems to have clumped up and is floating around in the glass like bits of ground pepper. Aromas of orange peel, lemon, coriander, light pepper, bread, and not much else. Pretty weak aromas without much complexity; but not offensive. Taste of orange peel, pepper, coriander, wheat, spicy yeast, and breadiness. Some lingering notes of bread, wheat, orange, and spiciness on the finish for a bit. Medium body and carbonation; with a bit of a creamy mouthfeel that drinks very smoothly. Alcohol is well hidden with only a slight warming after the finish. Other than the grainy appearance and weak aromas; this was pretty solid stuff. Good balance of flavors and easy drinking.

Arcadia Whitsun Ale from Arcadia Brewing Company