Arcadia HopMouth Double IPA | Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia Brewing Company
arcadiaales.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

The first in a limited edition, Brew Crew Big Beer Series. 1080 OG; 76 IBU

This remarkably balanced brew has a deep amber hue with a generous white head. Hopmouth showcases a rich, toasty flavor and sweet caramel notes because of the high-quality Maris Otter Malt used. The hops are up front in the aroma reminiscent of citrus and pine, while the resin-like flavors linger well after the last sip.

Added by TastyTaste on 12-11-2005

13%

Ratings: 1,043 |  Reviews: 480
3.83/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Pours a lightly hazy deep copper to amber in color with some moderate amounts of visible carbonation and some orange highlights. The beer has a finger tall foamy head that slowly reduces to a medium large medium thick patch, a very thin film covering the remainder of the surface of the beer, and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of caramel malts with moderate aromas of pine hops.

T: Upfront there is a light to moderate amount of caramel malt flavors that contribute some sweetness. That is quickly followed up by some moderate flavors of pine hops and just a touch of herbal hops. Light to moderate amounts of lingering bitterness.

M: Slightly heavier than medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Chewy with some light amount of alcohol warming and dryness in the finish.

O: Overall this beer is pretty well balanced between the sweetness of the malts and the bitterness of the hops. The alcohol is pretty well hidden (slightly present in the mouthfeel) and the beer is fairly easy to drink.

4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

Served on tap.

Pours a dark amber with a thin off-white head that retains around the edges and with thin wisps across the center. Lacing is good, with thin strands of hop lace down the sides of the glass. The aroma is assertive piney hops, fresh citrus character, and a nice backing smell of sweet malts.

The taste is nice piney, biting hops right off the bat mixed with a zesty citrus notes. A backbone of sweet caramel malts is subdued (in comparison to the pine) but is present enough to keep things in check. The mouthfeel is is mediuim bodied with a smooth, creamy feel while not much of the 8% ABV is felt.

A solid DIPA from Arcadia! The hops get to shine but a nice balance with the malts make sure that things don't get too out of hand. Nice drinkibility as well for a beer this size.

3.29/5  rDev -12.7%

Handsome not-quite-clear amber in the tall tulip. Sudsy in the mouth but not much head. Aroma is a real knockout of big fresh hops.

Hoppy from the start, and bitter to the finish. Rather rich with a thick mouthfeel. Not too sweet, though the malt is plentiful. On the neck is printed "Bottled 02/23/12." Resins and the big pine hoppy blast. Lots of aromatics. Gets pretty bitter after awhile, and 12 oz is more than enough. Good mouthfeel for a few sips, but then it starts going numb from the hops.

From the 12 oz bottle bought at Food and Friends in Philadelphia. The current label features a more scary Hoppy Man and lists the ABV at 8%.

3.83/5  rDev +1.6%

Style: imperial IPA
Brewed by: Arcadia Brewing Co.
Location: Battle Creek, MI
Rating: 3.7
First had: on tap at Ron's Original Bar & Grille, Exton, PA

Cloudy, brown with a nice white head. Smell was not too strong, but I detected the typical hoppiness of an IPA with some maltiness in the background. Hops weren't too strong surprisingly when I took a sip, making it a bit smoother and easily drinkable.

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

3.27/5  rDev -13.3%

Appearance: Pours a semi-hazy amber body with a full, off-white head.

Smell: Sweet-smelling toffee and caramel backed by faint scents of tropical fruits.

Taste: A basic caramel sweetness races through some checkpoints of soapy, tart grapefruit, and pine on its way to a hot, bitter finish. Eh.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Mild carbonation.

Drinkability: Fairly uninteresting, it seems to be a half-hearted attempt at the style.

3.61/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours a chill-hazed caramel with 1+ finger of sand colored head. Hazing never totally clears, great lacing & good head retention

S: Slight pineyness

T: Piney & leafy hops, caramel & a touch of dryness up front. As this warms, I get more leafy hops, a bit of toffee & more dryness. Finishes with a slight fruittyness (pears mostly), more dryness & caramel, if this would've melded better I'd rate it a 4.0

MF: Chewy with low carbonation & some stickyness, pretty nice balance

Drinks alright, juat didn't blow me away, not the hop profile that gets me too exited, but certainly takes the chill out of the Feburary night!

4.47/5  rDev +18.6%

Pours a two-fingered tight-bubbled head that leaves good sticky lace. The color is a very cloudy dark amber/light brown.

Delicious hop smell that is strong but not overpowering. Lighter colored malt aroma base in the background.

This is very well-balanced for the style. Lots of flavor: strong hop, good toasted malt, very little alcohol presence. Full bodied as expected. Complex. Puckering pine-like hop aftertaste that lasts for a very long time.

This is one of the better DIPA's I've had. No one particular flavor or smell dominates in a way to make this an extreme beer. It is, however, on the most flavorful brews I've had in a long time.

3.7/5  rDev -1.9%

Kindly given to me by glazeman

Poured from a bottle into a snifter glass

A: Pours a hazy amber with a small head, a good amount of thin lacing down the side of the glass.

S: Some hops and citrus with a little bit of apple/apple juice surprisingly.

T: Not extremely complex, a definite hop-bomb. Mostly pine flavor with a little malt sneaking in on the back. It is mild on the front end, with the flavor increasing in intensity towards the back end.

M/D: Medium bodied that leaves a tingly feeling on your tongue. This beer was interesting, it looked great and smelled great, but the taste wasn't what I expected. It was pretty weak upfront and then you get hit with the hops and bitterness. Overall, confusing, but still likable if you are a hophead.

4.18/5  rDev +10.9%

Polished coppery orange with infrequent superfine bubbles zipping up to a beautiful hop resinous head. Equal parts ivory, ecru and pastel orange, the cap is a firm, bubbly, sticky affair that lays down a thick blanket of lace over the majority of the top third of the glass. I wish the beer itself wasn't so pristine (I like 'em cluttered, dirty, junky), but this is a great looking beer thanks largely to the head/lace tandem.

As anticipated--given the color of the beer and the U.K. leanings of the brewery--Hopmouth is a DIPA that pays a great deal of attention to the malt half of its personality. There's a considerable amount of toasted maltiness in the nose, although hops have not been left out to dry. I certainly hope not, this is a DIPA after all. No clue on the hops, but I'm betting that the majority of the hop bill comes from across the pond.

The flavor profile leans even farther in the direction of malt than the nose suggested it would. Accordingly, it's a sweeter beer than the vast majority of the style. With the passage of time (for the hops to fade) and a bit more of an alcoholic punch, it might even come to resemble a barleywine since it has that same toffee pudding soaked in gooey caramel sauce flavor and sweetness about it. Additional impressions: buttery, almost butterscotchy, slightly sour.

Now that I think about it, Hopmouth is exactly the sort of DIPA that I'd expect Arcadia to brew. Given their Anglophilia, I'm not really surprised that they've stayed true to their roots and have forgone the use of the usual American hop varieties. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that one of the 4-Cs is present. There's a sneaky grapefruit and orange pithiness that just cannot be ignored.

Pours from the bottom half of the bottle murk things up a bit and only add to the layers of crusty lace in concentric rings that have already been laid down on the glass. As a result, I'll gladly bump the appearance score to something more deserving. Warming doesn't bring about much in the way of flavor changes, but it reinforces the civilized, balanced, drinkable nature of the beer.

The body is medium-full for the style. Thanks to all the malt, the mouthfeel is one of the most lightly syrupy and lightly silky that I've experienced in a good, long while. Without a boatload of hop resins and alpha acids to rough up the tongue, it's amazing how polished jewel smooth a DIPA can be. Sticky, coating finish. Barely a hint of the 8.1% ABV.

Hopmouth Double IPA doesn't cleave all that closely to my 'ideal DIPA' blueprint, but that doesn't mean that I'm having anything less than a great time working my way through the bomber. It's an amazingly drinkable beer, especially for those who shy away from the more insanely-hopped versions of the style. I can't wait to taste the next beer in the Brew Crew Big Beer series. 'Go big or go home!'

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.66/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance - Red amber body. Dark and hazy. Not much of a head until the very end, but it manages to hang on and even create some nice lacing.

Smell - Musty pine hops with a strong caramel malt presence. It seems like this could be a sweet one. Diacetyl in the nose too. Hmm.

Taste - Yeah, the diacetyl is back here. Once I noticed it, I can't ignore it. It's not as sweet as I feared, but there's a lot more malt than there is aromatic hop to make it anything special. It's "balanced" I suppose. Would be much better without that diacetyl.

Mouthfeel - Bitter finish. I'm not really having any trouble drinking it, despite its flaws.

Overall - At first I thought I could finish it. Then I started struggling. Eventually I poured the last quarter down the drain.

3.97/5  rDev +5.3%

Served in a snifter at The Firkin.

VDubb is persistent. At least he got us a good beer. It pours a rather dark ruby brown topped by a half-finger at best of off-white foam. The nose comprises red and white grapes, red and...not-red...grapefruit, and a fairly strong contingent of toffee. The taste is of smooth citrus and pine (trust me, smoothness is tastable) joined by some nice, sweet caramel. The body is medium, with no real carbonation and a rather smooth feel. Overall, a nice DIPA, not the best around, but pretty tasty nonetheless.

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

3.15/5  rDev -16.4%

Thanks to Adam for bringing me a 4 pack back from Michigan.

A: Darker color than what I'm used to in a DIPA. Nice head with some sticky lacing.

S: Typical floral, citrus, hops.

T: Lacking balance. Alcohol flavor present. Tastes like it's 10% instead of 8%.

M: Not as smooth as I'd like. Slight hop bitterness.

D: Not a bad beer, per se, but I'm ready to move on to something else.

Notes: I had a Pliny the Elder yesterday, and at a comparable 8%, it's fair to say that Hopmouth is not at the top of the class. There are too many accessible quality DIPA out there for me to purchase this one again.

3.57/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I don't know....I'm thinking I have a funky bottle of Hop Mouth.....Its not very good and not something I'd expect from Arcadia. The beer poured a deep amber with white head that is leaving a lace. The scent has bitter hop. The taste is very syrupy sweet and just plain weird. The mouthfeel is fuller in body with subtle carbonation. Overall....no thanks....I might try it off the tap....but no more from the bottle for me.

3.2/5  rDev -15.1%

I've sampled this one trice, and I must say I don't really get it. I like English Ales but if your doing a DIPA do it, you know what I mean. English DIPA doesn't do the style justice let me break it down. Appears a clouded caramel copper tone with a large off white head leaves even speckled lacing around my pint glass. Aromatics consist of caramel and biscuit malts which form a gentle sweet bready tone this is complemented by a tight herbal grassinss with mild citrus hops...this hop profile seems diminished and too mild for the style. Flavors collide with mild alcohol and a sturdy amount of hop bitterness upfront orange peel perfumey flavor that kinda lacquers the tongue other notes of grassy hop action but overall flavor is minimal here not as dimensional and flowing as I would expect. Mouthfeel is medium to fuller bodie moderate carbonation a bit of resinous feel but really does stay on the palate. Drinkability not something I would call sessionable or overbearing on the palate just too many English malts colliding with my beloved American bred Double IPA style.

3.3/5  rDev -12.5%

Appearance: Pour is a hazy orange almost seems like lots of yeast left in this one.Head is very thin with slight lacing.

Smell: Has a very hoppy floral aroma.

Taste: bitter hops are the focus here.

Mouthfeel: Body is lightand watery.

Drinkability: Not something I want to drink again. I cannot recall if I liked anything from this brewery but I keep trying.

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

4.12/5  rDev +9.3%

22 ounce bomber bottle, no freshness indication. Pours cloudy, murky, dull almond amber. Head is basic tan and leaves gobs of thick medium bubble lacing. Nose is boldly of hops. Goey, thick and hoppy brew, lacks the citric bite of other of the style. This one is more smooth and malty then the "San Diego" style DIPA. Being a big beer fan I love this stuff, but I believe I'm more partial the the more grapefruit infused versions. Well worth a try.

4.12/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours a clouded brownish amber with a thicker crème head that falls and leaves a small amount of lacing on the way down. Nose is thick and strong floral citrus hops. Flavor is kind of odd. Distinct floral tones hit quick, but they aren't very robust and deep really. It's much lighter than I was expecting. For the strong hop character it has, it's pretty light and easy. Feel is standard and the carbonation is decent. This is easy to drink. Put this in a cask and put it in the hands of someone who knows the right time to open it and it should be beautiful.

Arcadia HopMouth Double IPA from Arcadia Brewing Company