Arcadia HopMouth Double IPA | Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

The first in a limited edition, Brew Crew Big Beer Series. 1080 OG; 76 IBU

This remarkably balanced brew has a deep amber hue with a generous white head. Hopmouth showcases a rich, toasty flavor and sweet caramel notes because of the high-quality Maris Otter Malt used. The hops are up front in the aroma reminiscent of citrus and pine, while the resin-like flavors linger well after the last sip.

Added by TastyTaste on 12-11-2005

Reviews: 480 | Ratings: 1,033
3.65/5  rDev -3.2%

22 oz bomber for $3.99 at Bella Vino in Ann Arbor

A: Dark orange with some brown. Pours about 2" of thich head that leaves a small layer at all times.

S: Smell is dominated by piney hops and citrus. Just how I like it.

T: The malt really stands up to the hops here. Also a little spice and grapefruit/orange. The hops are plentiful, but more in a bittering aftertaste than the frontal assault of some DIPAs. Interesting take on the style.

M: Full bodied, yet not oily like some of this style.

D: Not bad, but not craving another right away either.

Solid initial offering by Arcardia in its Big Beer Series. Got this one for a great price, so I might go back for more, but I wouldn't at its usual $6 or $7.

4.35/5  rDev +15.4%

Purchased at half-time in Poughkeepsie and drinking right now, pouted into my trusty road pint glass (stolen, of course) a reddish, hazy, with a slight head that almost immediately went away but does leave lacing. Smells more of malt than hops, and a bit sweet, taste is bitter, like myself, and a bit toned down for a double IPA. lightly carbonated and very drinkable.

2.87/5  rDev -23.9%

Poured from a bomber into a goblet. Thanks to my fellow BA friend hyland24.

A - Poured a nice golden amber with a short foamy head that settled quickly leaving minimal lacing throughout.

S - Lots of hops, and a woodsy, pine scent. Smelled somewhat like a christmas tree. The aromas became more prevalent as the beer warmed up.

T - Lots of spicy hops up front with a sweet, floral bitter finish. I must say the last few sips of this beer were great.

M&D - Good mouthcoating and definitely a sipping beer - better served at a warmer temperature. Due to the high 8.0% alc vol probably not the best choice if you're looking to drink a lot, but a good alternative if you're looking for a sipping drink and don't like wine.

Glad I got to try it. If you like hoppy beers, you should definitely give this one a try.

3.11/5  rDev -17.5%

Deep amber color with noticeable haze. Poured with a thick, frothy head and clumpy lacing. Hop aroma is mild at best with a clean character. More malty than hoppy. Considering that this is an American Double IPA, I'm very surprised that the hop character is not more pronounced. Hop bitterness is present in taste, but still lackluster compared to other beers in this style. Underlying sourness that can be a bit cloying. Mouthfeel is sticky and on the wetter side; not dry as I expected. Quantity of alcohol is masked well without the associated warming sometimes present with Double IPAs. Overall, this is an average effort, however for the style, this beer needs a bolder hop profile.

4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

A-Pouring into a glass created a 1 inch head leaving spotty lacing on the glass.
S-Hoppy, piney and citrusy. Very fragant.
T-Very refreshing with a nice blend of hops, citrus fruits and sweet carmel. There is almost no bite and minimal bitterness. The alcohol is very well hidden and barely perceptable.
M-Creamy and smooth with moderated carbonation and minimal dryness.
D-Very drinkable and likely to lead to another and another.

3.61/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured a darker amber with a decent head. Aroma was hoppy but not overly so. Maybe it's my allergies, but sometimes beers advertised as hoppy don't impress me with with a hop aroma.

That said, the flavor was malty with a nice hop finish. No real hint that there is over 8% ABV. The mouthfeel was also pretty good with plenty of effervescence.

A bit heavy for a summer afternoon, but might be one I get for a cool fall evening.

3.67/5  rDev -2.7%

Translucent ruby color with a 1-finger off-white head. Very fast rising bead sustains a thin cap on top. Great smelling citrusy hops. Smells of grapefruit juice and sweet, juicy malt. First taste is juicy malt and the fruity hops followed up by big bitterness. Alcohol starts to come through as it warms up, wouldn't be a problem if you drink quickly. Carbonation in mouthfeel was OK along with a smoothness in each swig. This was something for me that I ran across and bought it just to compare with others in the style. Something worthwhile to try if you haven't before. Booziness as it warms up was a problem with me though.

4.52/5  rDev +19.9%

on tap. 20oz serving poured into a large pint glass

A: hazy dark orange with persistent but small white head

S: fresh cut grass, mostly herbal hop aroma coming through, a bit of citrus

T: HOPS, a lot of hop bitterness. but not too much. a very nice caramely malt backbone that makes for a balanced taste. a little bit of heat from the alcohol as the the beer warmed.

M: medium body, medium carbonation. a bit syrupy but a nice finish, not too clingy on the tongue

D: well i finished a whole "tall" glass quite easily so i would give this one quite a high score for drinkability.

Notes: exceptional example of the DIPA style. haven't had this years hopslam but I will be comparing it to this beer

3.46/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours a hazier bronze with a soapy but persevering head that laces lightly down the glass.
The aroma embodies a bold and bright floral hop presence- very pleasant.
Taste is amazing and relatively balanced for a Double IPA. I would consider it an IPA before a Double. Still very delicious!
Mouthfeel makes for a very easy to drink brew which brings me to drinkability which is outstanding. Hopheads may be disappointed with the surprising balance but as a beerlover, they'd eventually come around and enjoy the beautiful flavors.

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

Pouring this from a bottle into a pint glass it looks a deep oak brown with a hint of red to it. The head is tight and thick (similar to how I like my women?) but is pretty thin on top, only about a half-finger.

Smell isn't too strong but is hops through and through. It definitely has the traditional citrusy notes and also some earthy apple and pear tones.

The taste has a nice strong bitterness, but without the citrusy bite of many DIPAs. There are also some nice hearty/earthy burnt malt flavors behind the shear, well, mouthful of hops! It has a solid level of carbonation, which I think makes its taste a little bit lighter. The swig is followed by a nice warm hint of alcohol and eventually a piney-bitter aftertaste. I don't whether it's the green on the label or the name (Arcadia) but after that first sip I'm feel pretty crunchy about drinking this.

It definitely has a fairly full body as a DIPA, but I wouldn't classify it as overly heavy. I think its mouth feel is aided by the vibrant carbonation that prevents it from overwhelming the palate with bitter coating. Another? Sure. Something about its taste makes me feel like I should put on a flannel shirt and jeans first though.

3.63/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours dark Amber. Strong hops, but a weaker dipa. Bitter end. Not shabby
Aug 5/2016 update had again and it had even more bitterness at the finish that was a bit of a turnoff....sour perhaps.

2.8/5  rDev -25.7%

I was disappointed with the less than average experience with this beer. I had high expectations based on the cost and rare availability in Virginia. It was less than satisfying in all categories. I expected a big full beer with a lot of hops and a delicious flavor. My experience may have been tainted by inflated expectations but I won't be picking this beer again.

3.13/5  rDev -17%

Poured into a snifter. Pours a nice dark amber color with a small white head.

Aroma is fairly light, malty sweetness mixed with grapefruit hops.

Taste is even lighter than the smell. It's grapefruit hops followed by a little malty sweetness with a nice clean watery finish. It's a bit light in flavor for my tastes, but not in a subtle way... it literally tastes like spring water in the finish.

Continuing along the watery theme, it's too light in body for a DIPA, though that makes it a little more drinkable, but I wouldn't buy another. There are too many other great DIPA's out there.

4.58/5  rDev +21.5%

Tried this on a whim. $5.99 for a pint + 6oz bottle.

This beer is beautiful. Hazy dark amber color, riddish with lots of bubbles. Off-white lacing that goes from thick big bubbles to a fine misty appearance. One of the most visually impressive beers I've poured.

The aroma is wonderful. Rich, buttery fruit smell that makes my mouth water. There's a little sweet caramel scent too.

Has a nice level of bitterness. Tastes like it smells, very hoppy and fresh tasting. The mouthfeel is very pleasing. It has a creamy texture with a little bite on the back of the throat. I could drink this all night.

3.63/5  rDev -3.7%

A: Deep amber. Small head that disappeared quickly and left only a bit of lacing.

S: While there are hops, I expected more from a DIPA. Malt, carmel and mild citrus.

T: The bitterness of the hops really come through, adding bitterness more than flavor. Maltier than expected and notes of carmel and brown sugar.

M: Good medium body with a good level of carbonation.

D: A very drinkable DIPA. While I certainly did enjoy this beer, there are other beers of a the same style that I prefer.

2.58/5  rDev -31.6%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

A: Pours a murky deep orange/copper. Head was huge, but settled quickly. Not a hint of lacing, but I think the cleaning lady puts my beer glasses into the dishwasher. I didn't ding the score for it. As I drink it, it reminds me of my '99 JW Lees Harvest Ales.

S: Very sweet and malty on the nose. If there are hops in this, I can't smell them. No pine, citrus, or floral scent.

T: The only clue this is a DIPA is in the lasting bitterness. No citrus or pine in the taste at all. I'm starting to wonder if I bought an old bottle.

M: Taste lingers in your mouth for quite a while with its medium feel. It's just a tad bit on the heavy side.

D: Pretty low, if only because I don't think I had the DIPA i was hoping for.

I sometimes get bottles that are old and its obvious. This appears to be one of those times. While there appears to be a date code on the side of the label, nothing is stamped or notched to determine freshness. I still submit reviews based on this. I'm willing to give this brew another shot, but it will be a while before I pick up another bottle.

3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

Tasted on 1/20/10
Served in a wine glass. Light caramel color with small white head. Murky with hints of orange at the edge of the glass. Fresh herbs and orange rind on the nose with hints of grapefruit.

Nice and warming with good roasted malt coming through. Medium body plus mild carbonation makes for a very drinkable beer with an elegant mouthfeel. Hops are kinda subdued for this style but they really show well on the finish which is long and generous

This double IPA will not slap you in the face with hops but the citrus and pine is defininatly there. It's very well structured and the ABV is kept in check by freshness and malt.

4.18/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is one of my favorite IPA's. I am so glad it is available year round. It pours a beautiful orange-amber color with a light head, it is just great to look at. Nice lacing, you can count how many sips you have taken from the rings.

The smell is a sweet malty hoppy mix with a slightly citrus and spice nose. It tastes just like it smells too, it is on the maltier side for an IPA. It is not very bitter at all, some sweetness of malts with a lightly hopped finish. It is still an IPA, but a smooth, sweet one. I think it is more of an east coast/British style Ale.

You cannot tell it is a big beer by the flavor, but you will start noticing as the glass gets under half. It is definitely not a session IPA by any means. If you like your IPA on the malty side, you came to the right place. It is a nearly perfect mix of bitter and sweet.

4.28/5  rDev +13.5%

Hazy light brown in color with a light almond (color) head.

Very little on the nose to speak of. Some light malty sweetness, but no noticeable hops.

Taste was a total contradiction to the smell, this beer has a mountain of hops waiting to attack your taste buds. Very floral in flavor, not overly bitter, and not overpowering. Some malty sweetness cuts through the hops to really round this beer out nicely.

Mouthfeel is neither thick nor thin, and dare I say thirst-quenching. One interesting note is the aftertaste - the hops do not linger in your mouth. You get a very clean finish, which was quite surprising given the amount of hops you get up front.

This was a highly drinkable beer for me, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but it's worth noting that this was served from a hand-drawn cask. YMMV from bottle or keg.

3.92/5  rDev +4%

12 oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Here we go:

A - Hazy light brown color, kind of dull. Not a lot of head, dissipates rather quickly. Decent lacing.

S - Intense flowery hops, along with grain, citrus and faint alcohol.

T - More balanced than the aroma let on. The hops are certainly present, but some nice malt backbone gives this a bittersweet taste.

M - Rich mouthfeel, but with an odd tingly bite at the end

D - Good for a high-powered IIPA, nice above-average brew

2.77/5  rDev -26.5%

Pours a copper-orange color with a thick frothy head that falls quickly, but leaves a nice retention. Nose is underwhelming; don't get the hit of hops I'd expect with a double IPA. Taste is similar; malty, biscuity, with a little piney hop finish but not enough. Wouldn't be a bad pale ale, but hardly a double IPA, in my opinion. Underwhelming for the style it proclaims. Hopefully I just stumbled upon an old bottle that's lost something....

3.82/5  rDev +1.3%

A- Poured into large red wine glass. Auburn in colour and fairly translucent. Poured a very foamy head that dissipated very quickly.

S- Very Heavy on the hops. Not many other smells detectable. The hops are very fresh smelling, with some citrus hints coming through with them, as well as natural spruce hints in the hops.

T- Quite refreshing. The hops, like the smell, are quite fresh tasting. The citrus notes come through very with the hops, and the spruce hints come through very subtly. The finish is what is very surprising about this beer. The bitterness on the finish is very strong, and one of the longest lasting bitter finishes I've experienced in a DIPA.

D- This is a very nice beer to drink. Bought it on a whim to fill a 6 pack, and will definitely purchase again. An easy drinking or sipping beer.

3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

Appearance: For an IPA, the Arcadia Hopmouth pours a pretty dark amber color with a medium amount of cloudiness. By comparison, I'd say it's roughly the same color as the Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA. This is most likely due to the addition of malt in boiling process. Double IPAs are typically much brighter and clearer so I am immediately curious as to what this one will taste like. There is a very healthy amount of off-white head that comes along with this one.

Smell: The aromas in this beer don't blast you in the face like many of the DIPAs can. However, there is certainly a good amount of pungent hops on the nose. I get a lot more of the grassy pine components than I do the citrus aromas, which leads me to wonder how bright this beer will taste. I've been surprised in the past.

Taste: This is definitely in the same sort of family as the Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA and Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye in that there is more of a caramel-like backbone that marries nicely with the bitter hops. As I presumed, there is not a lot of sunshine in this glass, but it certainly isn't a shy beer, either. The good head retention returns with a brisk swirl and does wonders for the flavors. As with most beers, the flavors begin to mutate a bit after the beer begins to warm.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is one of the nicer components of the Hopmouth. It is well in to the medium-bodied beer category. The bitter elements of the hops coat the tongue quite well and leave behind a nice piney taste. They also do a number or two on the back of your throat as they work their way down. This is definitely a drink for the hophead.

Overall: I bought this beer on a whim. I've been drinking quite a few IPAs lately and wanted to give it a shot. I have to say that there is quite a bit to like about Arcadia's Hopmouth Double IPA. I don't mean there is anything overly special about it, but I will say that it is probably a bit underrated. It is a very nicely balanced beer and well worth a rotation in any collection. If you are a fan of the ballsier IPAs on the market, this will unquestionably be right up your alley.

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

A: Slightly dark amber with a one finger tan head after an aggresive pour. Carbonation mild but continuous. Kind of hoping for some sediment..

S: Grassy hops make up most of the nose but there's a biscuit malt that's significant as well. Hint of nut

T: Hoppy but very reserved. Kind of an earthy feel but not much transition into the bitter finish. Caramel touch jumps out every now and then

M: Really creamy and unlike a typical DIPA. The alcohol warms. Very good flavorful, dry finish

O: Comes up a bit short for the style, I feel. Nothing "carries" this beer although it's a good choice for those getting into DIPA's.

3.89/5  rDev +3.2%

A-- very hazy amber color....orange hues...fluffy head off of hard pour...sticky lacing

S-- smells like the pine tree in my backyard...i actually went inside to smell it again just to make sure that wasn't what i was smelling...alcohol a bit evident as well as some carmel notes.

T--nice piney hops right outfront...followed by a sweet lemonade type ctirus with other citrus coming in..grapefruit?..sweeteness comes into play after warming a bit..pretty balanced all in all

M-- creamy and smooth...carbonation seems low but is enough to help throw the flavors around the palate and give a great finish

D-- eight percent can catch up to ya quick but i could sip on these for a while all night...i will be gettin this guy again

Arcadia HopMouth Double IPA from Arcadia Brewing Company