Arcadia Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout | Arcadia Brewing Company

good
Arcadia Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial StoutArcadia Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout

Arcadia Brewing Company
arcadiaales.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by aforbes10 on 12-03-2006

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

My first Imperial Stout, recommended by a knowledgeable fellow at my local craft/import shop. The wax seal took me by a pleasant surprise, a totally unique&badass touch. I then felt compelled to blast viking metal& black metal during the rest of my review, imagining that an evil sorcerer or Norse warrior would dig this brew. I digress...
Anyways, the second i cracked this puppy open, the bourbon smell was noticeable, but not fumey, acrid, or overbearing AKA tolerable, if not pleasant.
I kid you not, this poured like a cola. Despite its obvious thickness just by taking a careful look as you pour this.
Head is somewhat lumpy& very deep brown, but not so that it borders between black.
The initial is a nice big caramel flavor, very delicious, and goes down surprisingly crisp and clean. Yet another pleasant surprise with this Imperial Stout is that its ABV is up there, the "oomph" is very subtle and passes off quickly.
Overall, for my first Imperial Stout, this was a great introduction that I will certainly buy again when I'm in the mood for this particular type of brew.

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%

3.93/5  rDev +5.1%

12 FLUID OUNCE bottle
Served in a snifter

A - It is black as night. I really didn't get much head. I got a little bit of mocha head on top, and it was gone quick.

S - I get some bourbon and vanilla right away. As it warms I get some dark fruit with plum coming to mind.

T - The bourbon lends a mellowing effect to this beer. I get some soft notes of bourbon and vanilla. The roasted malts have melded into a molasses and dark chocolate flavor. There is a little dark fruit on the finish.

M - Full and smooth.

O - This is a solid barrel aged stout. Arcadia is rarely mentioned with all the great beer coming out of Michigan, but they have solid offerings. And for a 12% beer, it is smooth as hell.

4.21/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

No sign of a bottled on date...

Appearance: Pours black and fairly viscous as expected with a small khaki head that collars almost instantly.

Smell: Bourbon, fudge, dark fruit, caramel, coconut. I don't see how this category can improve much, wow.

Taste: Begins with Bourbon over rich chocolate. Coconut comes up next, and then the Bourbon really asserts itself; it was of course present in the beginning but really crescendos in the middle of the mouth while eventually subsiding as roasted malt creeps in. The end sees more coconut that gives way to cocoa and caramel, all of which fade out gradually and leaves a nice aftertaste. There is definitely some detectable booze heat that would blindly lead me to guess this is somewhere in the 10% or more ballpark.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied for the style, nowhere near BCBS while perhaps a bit more viscous than something like say, KBS. There is definitely more carbonation than I'd expected; you can really feel a tingle from the bubbles on the tip of the tongue and in the back of your throat.

Overall: Not bad at all. Tasty flavor profile, with a little extra carbonation and thinner mouthfeel than BCBS. Would definitely drink again, although depending on your taste, you may want to lay this down and let the Bourbon heat subside a bit for a more even keeled wash over the palate.

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

4.34/5  rDev +16%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2012 poured in a snifter.

Black, dark flat with almost no life. Less than a bubbles width of head sat on top of a gorgeous darkness.

Huge coconut aroma on the nose, slight vanilla and even a bit of chocolate. Marshmallow and Graham Cracker finish the scent with a deep creaminess.

The barrel hits the tongue with all the flavor you can ask. Deep, rich creamy coconut and delicious vanilla flavor are all encompassing. Sweet bourbon and oakey wood couples with caramel, toffee and chocolate to make a beautiful mixture.

The feel is very creamy but thinner than I would expect. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's bad but with the sludge like pour I thought it would feel like a chocolate shake.

I absolutely loved this and found it to be close to BCBS and LBS and a right joy!

3.3/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I got a finger of brown head over a nearly black body. The head dissipates in a little over a minute and I'm left with a little ring. The beer laces up a little bit.

Booze. You get a little vanilla and malt, but this reeks of bourbon.

Malt and vanilla try to make a stand. Attempting to taste around the booze, I do also pick up dark fruit, hints of coffee, chocolate and a good woodiness.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied. It goes down a little easier than I had hoped. It coats the tongue rather evenly.

2.68/5  rDev -28.3%

I was let down by this beer. If given the choice between the BA Imperial Stout and the BA Shipwreck Porter, go with the Porter. The BA Imperial is all bourbon flavor with no sweetness to balance it out. Very thin mouthfeel and too much carbonation. Aroma and appearance are the only positives with this failure of a BA Stout.

Maybe I'm spoiled with all the other BA offerings like Backwoods Bastard, Plead the Fifth, and BCBS that are in the Midwest but I could do without ever drinking another Acadia Ales BA Imperial Stout.

3.68/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pour from 12 oz bottle into Paper City Brewery mini glass (this was a share).

A: I was expecting an inky black pour but this one has some nut-brown translucence.
S: The aroma betrays a lot of sourness and booze along with the usually coffee, tar, vanilla and bourbon smells of a barrel-aged beer. The alcohol are understandable, but the sourness is surprisingly intense.
T: Tar, tobacco, vanilla, bourbon, chocolate and sweet malt dominate. At first these flavors work poorly together and seem harsh, but the beer smooths out as the alcohol takes over. A lot of interesting flavors but it's not a finely balanced stout.
M: This is the least appealing aspect of what should be a full-bodied imperial stout. The mouthfeel is thinner, more like a barleywine or old ale. There's too much carbonation initially but fades to a nice level quickly.
O: It's not horrible but not the best bourbon barrel-aged beer out there. I'd be more interested in Arcadia's barrel-aged barleywine since the regular Cereal Killer is so good.

4.12/5  rDev +10.2%