Arcadia Sky High Rye | Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia Sky High RyeArcadia Sky High Rye

Arcadia Brewing Company
arcadiaales.com

Style: Rye Beer

This West Coast-style Pale Ale is brewed with 80% English barley malts and 20% rye malt. It boasts a massive floral aroma of resinous hops, contributing notes of lemons, peaches and pine needles and is anchored by the sweet malty flavors of toffee and freshly baked pumpernickel bread.

Added by FrognutUnl on 01-11-2009

4.25/5  rDev +13.3%

4.48/5  rDev +19.5%

3.02/5  rDev -19.5%

Undated 12 oz can purchased near brewery about 3 months ago and kept refrigerated.
Pours golden with a small, partially durable head.

Smells spicy and floral, rather as expected. But the flavor clearly reveals wild yeast. Unintentional I believe. So much for unpasteurized in this case. The farmhouse effects actually fit somewhat well with the spicy rye/hop profile and don't completely ruin the beer, but it certainly doesn't taste like it should.

Feel: medium-light body is properly carbonated but a bit harsh.

3.31/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a can of Arcadia's Sky High Rye a couple weeks ago for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. It's been a while since I've had this beer and since it's in cans now I thought I would revisit it, plus I've been in the mood for Rye Beers lately, so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date. Poured from a 12oz can into an imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks pretty nice, it's got a nice look to it and I think it looks better than the bottle did. It poured a lightly hazy golden yellow color that took on more of a golden orange color when held to the light with three fingers worth of fluffy and slightly creamy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left lots of sticky lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of rye up front that impart a nice earthy and spicy rye aroma followed by some malts that impart a bready, grainy, and caramel malt like aroma. Up next comes the hops that impart a citrus hop aroma along with a slight soapy aroma, but it's the floral hops that seem to sticking out the most and they seem to overpower the rye just a little. There's also a farmhouse funk aroma that seems out of place and it reminds me a little of some Brewery Vivant beers. The aroma was decent, but I thought the floral hops were a little too dominating and the farmhouse aroma felt a little out of place..

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by some rye up front that barely comes through enough and it impart a somewhat lighter earthy and spicy rye flavor. Up next comes the malts which impart a somewhat lighter amount of grainy and bready flavors with caramel malts still seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes that weird farmhouse yeast flavor that almost reminds me a little of brett and it's still similar to some Brewery Vivant beers and it's followed by some hops with some earthy and citrus rind hop flavors and the floral hops still stick out the most but they don't dominate this beer like they did in the aroma and they impart a lighter amount of medium bitterness, with a light rye, floral hop, citrus hop and farmhouse yeast like aftertaste. The taste isn't bad, but I don't think it's what it's meant to be, the farmhouse yeast flavor isn't all that unpleasant, but it just feels out of place in this beer.

M- fairly smooth, pretty crisp, really dry, medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but it wasn't the truest to style.

Overall this beer left me a little confused, I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it and I thought it wasn't that true to style with the farmhouse yeast aspect and the floral hops covering up most of the spicy and earthy rye flavors that I was looking forward to. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was fairly smooth, not overly bitter and not too filling, but the flavor didn't do the best job at holding my attention because it just left me feeling confused about it. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, it was a damn good looking beer with some really nice head and lacing. What I liked the least about this beer was the funky farmhouse aspect, it was bad, but it was unwanted in this beer and it didn't work that well with the rye flavors. I would buy a can of this again if i knew it was fresh, I'm wondering if I got an off can or they changed the recipe, i'm just not sure what's going on with this brew and I don't think I would recommend it as it is. All in all i'm still confused about this beer, I generally like those funky farmhouse flavors, but it just felt out of place in this beer and it didn't work as well with the other flavors as it does in most Farmhouse Ales, this may be why you don't hear of many Rye Farmhouse Beers. Better luck next time Arcadia, this brew just left me puzzled and nothing else.

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

3.92/5  rDev +4.5%

12oz bottle poured into standard pint glass. Bottled on date of 05/20/13, so pushing towards 5 months old.

Poured a hazy yellow body with a thick & foamy 1-1 1/2 head. Head retained well, and left some thick. though uneven lacing. good amount of small carbonation bubbling.

Not much on the nose, some fruit, and a faint whiff of spices.

Taste was really nice. I do enjoy rye beers, though ones that have faded are really bland. This has held up well. Getting a piney, resinous, spicy taste from the rye coating the tongue. Sharp tingling around the edge of the tongue. Delicious.

Mouth was a bit above medium, quite a dry finish too.

Overall, was pleasantly surprised by this brew. Arcadia makes some pretty good, though not spectacular beers, and I was a bit concerned by the age on this one, but it holds up very well. Looking forward to trying another.

2.5/5  rDev -33.3%