Arcadia Sky High Rye | Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia Sky High RyeArcadia Sky High Rye

Arcadia Brewing Company
arcadiaales.com

Style: Rye Beer

This West Coast-style Pale Ale is brewed with 80% English barley malts and 20% rye malt. It boasts a massive floral aroma of resinous hops, contributing notes of lemons, peaches and pine needles and is anchored by the sweet malty flavors of toffee and freshly baked pumpernickel bread.

Added by FrognutUnl on 01-11-2009

Liked:
3.69/5
Alströms:

3.53/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: A clear golden pour with a huge billowy white head. Great retention and lacing.

S: Rye, citrus and piney hops. A bit of a floral character.

T: Tastes pretty much like a mid-range citrus/piney IPA. There is just a touch of rye spiciness in there.

M: Mid-range, lots of carbonation.

O: Your basic IPA with just a slight edge from the rye. Not really a "rye beer" in my opinion.

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a lightly hazy, golden wheat color with a thin, soapy white head. The nose is of rye, slightly sour and spicy which complement the spicy hops nicely. Flavor is similar to the nose with the hop bitterness stepping up quite a bit. The mouthfeel is light in body with a viscous carbonation and slick finish. Overall, a decent beer, probably a good representation of the style.

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

3.79/5  rDev +2.7%

single bottle from Spartan Spirts in East Lansing for only 2.02 out the door.

A & S: grainy malts and floral hops. Not much smell in my bottle but for some reason my gf’s beer smelt way better. 3 finger super fizzy head that falls at a moderate rate and becomes foamier in the process. The head is retained very well during the consumption and lacing is very good for any style and especially for rye beers. Interesting “lazy” straw colored beer, with some unfiltered specs at the bottom.

T & M: Nice bitterness in the finish along with good bready tones. Great floral and citrus hops in this one (in my option its never a bad thing to hop almost any style). Medium carbonation that tingles the tongue, medium bodied.

O: overall is a good rye. I would recommend this beer to anyone and I would have to say this is my favorite arcadia beer to date.

4.03/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured into a pint glass. It has an attractive orangish hue with visible bubbles rising to the top. The impressive, fluffy off-white head retains pretty well. Leaves foamy lacing behind.

Smells like your standard pale ale, but with the slightest hint of citrusy fruit in the background.

Taste is pretty nice, with that extra bit of spiciness on the front, which I guess may have to do with the Rye used in the brewing process. There's also a little sourness and citrus in there, towards the middle, and on the end, you're left with a bitter, dryness. The mouthfeel is a bit prickly, and maybe a bit thicker than expected, but not enough so to detract from its drinkability.

Overall, I like it. It has just that little something to distinguish it from a normal IPA. I think I should try to seek out some more RyePA's so that I have something to compare this to.

3.93/5  rDev +6.5%

Bottle poured into pint glass.

A- Hazy, murky golden. Big 2 fingers of sticky head. Nice lacing.

S- Piney hops. Spiciness from the rye. Not a huge nose, but nice.

T- An almost equal nice of peppery rye, piney hops, with a bitter citrus hop finish.

M- Medium bodied. Coats the mouth nicely.

O- A pretty good rye beer. Not spectacular, but I'd buy these every now and again if they were in market.

3.18/5  rDev -13.8%

Tangy in a way that reminds me of a Saison. Fairly bitter, full of the sourish cereal flavors of rye. Attractive golden color in the tall tulip with a nice creamy head. One nice feature is a warm malty taste, but that yields to the very long bitter taste that continues to rule the aftertaste. Decent mouthfeel with the fine carbonation.

This makes me think of Surly Fest, with the buckwheat taste and the dominating hops. This one has kind of a winey flavor, and rather too much acidity. Rye fiends may like to try it, but there is not much to balance the austere flavors that turn harsh after half a glass.

3.53/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle into a pint

A- pours a deep golden color. Light pearly white head formation. Very opaque.

S- strong rye, chocolate and grain. Light citrus hopping.

T- starts off lightly malty with rye and some nutty malt flavors. mid stream gets a bit more hoppy. A solid bitter finish and more grainy rye flavors.

M- thick and solid mouthfeel. A little bit sticky. Carbonation is solid but balanced.

O/d. Decent drinkability. Moderate abv. A bit filling. A more winter style beer.

4.27/5  rDev +15.7%

From tasting notes 9-14-11

Appearance: Hazy deep gold with two-finger mostly white head that settles slowly and has decent retention.

Smell: Smells like a hop wonderland: mostly citrus (especially grapefruit) and piney hops, with a hint of floral. Not picking up much in the way of malts on the nose.

Taste: Pine, citrus, and floral tastes, along with a malt backbone that maintains a nice balance. Delicious, with lots of great grapefruit taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, mild carbonation, smooth creamy finish. Good feel but nothing exceptional.

Overall: Very good rye pale ale that is truly a delicious beer worthy of a taste by everyone. The beer has grown on me since the first time I had it.

3.88/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured a deep gold/pale amber into an English Dimpled Pint glass. Head was about 1/2 inch, and dissipated after a few minutes, though it left good lacing as the beer disappeared from the glass.

The aroma was estery and hoppy--no surprises there.

The taste had a strong hops flavor, though it was not very bitter by any measure. Initial tastes feel like any other ale, and there was some sweetness on the finish.

Mouthfeel was medium, and low carbonation made each drink of it rather smooth.

Overall, I would drink this again (and over most other ales I have tried).

4.13/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured into a New Belgium chalice, this is a slightly hazy light orange-colored beer with a dens head. The nose offers bountiful citric hops and a light fruitiness, though I don't catch any rye notes--probably because of the hoppiness. Flavor is nice. Immediate grapefruit hoppiness and high bitterness gives way slowly to a lightly peppery rye taste. Yeasty fruitiness is present, but has a very light touch. Finish is dry.

Very drinkable beer. I could easily put back a few more of these in a session.

4.38/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

When I was vacationing in Michigan, I tried a lot of local micro beer. And Sky High Rye was one of the best finds of the week. The hops kick you in the teeth. But in a good way. Even though this is a rye beer and not a porter, there's something about the flavor that's as bold and strong as the roast of a good porter.

3.43/5  rDev -7%

Pours pale yellow with some haze and good lace. Sweet and hoppy--there's some citrus hop flavor, but overall it's sweet and kind of doughy. I'm not very impressed with the use of the rye--I want something spicier, earthier, more complex, and I'm mostly getting sweet malt and sweet rye sugars. The mouthfeel is pleasantly carbonated and filling, at least. We'll finish the six-pack but probably won't buy it again--there are better ryes for my taste.

It is an absolute gorgeous Sunday late afternoon here at the homestead and the temp is about 78 with a brillant breeze. Trying the Sky High Rye and it was a very good selection for this afternoon. The beer poured pale yellow with nice white head that is lacing quite well. The smell has a mix of fresh pine and citrus. Neither is overpowering and genuinely subtle. The taste is very good. Starts with a bitter citrus/grapefruity taste then finishes off the pallet very clean. The mouthfeel is good, some may be put off by the grapefruit bitter start, but those that like a decent west coast pale wont mind a bit. I could session this...the real question is could you!

4.13/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours a rich golden hue topped by a bone white, 1/4" head that retains and lays down some nice lacing.

Aroma is very piney. Like cactus and a freshly cut aloe vera plant and pumpernickel with a light fruitiness underneath.

The taste is similar, very grassy and plant like. Like cactus and bitter spruce with a prickly pine and spice that lingers in the finish. Toasted, pale malts and rye bread. The spiciness of the rye is light, but it works well with the piney hops with just a hint of malt sweetness to balance things out.

Mouthfeel is medium with lively carbonation at play.

Yeah. I really dig this beer. Very interesting. It's got a lot of complex hop flavour. Highly drinkable stuff.

4.39/5  rDev +19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

To be honest, the reason I bought this beer was that I thought the bottle would look awesome in my bottle collection. I was very pleasantly surprised that it actually tasted good.

Poured into a pint glass, it leaves a large white head, with big bubbles. The head sticks around for most of the time it takes to finish the beer, and leaves some nice lacing the whole way down. It has a clear golden color that deceive you into thinking that there won't be much in the way of hops.

The nose gives lie to that assumption, as you get a strong whiff of floral hops. Smell is somewhat fruity, but not in an artificially flavored Fruity Pebbles way.

I'm struggling to taste the rye that is advertised on the bottle, but at this point, I don't really mind. You get a strong hops, not what I expected, but a pleasent surprise. Strong floral hops make this brew taste somewhere between a standard pale ale and an IPA. Interestingly, it doesn't have much of an aftertaste, making it quite drinkable.

Mouthfeel is good, with just the right amount of carbonation. It's not too heavy; I could see drinking quite a few of these in one session.

Overall, after buying this on a whim for the picture on the bottle (not the same one shown on the top of this page at the time of this review) I really liked this beer. If it didn't say that it was brewed with rye, I wouldn't know it. I suppose I probably couldn't pick out rye if I was given a lineup of grains to try, so that really wasn't an issue.

3.54/5  rDev -4.1%

This beer was a hazy dark straw color. I thought I detected some sediment in the glass. It has an IPA-like nose of grapefruit, orange, floral, and pine.

Nice taste. Very slight biscuit-like flavor followed by a nice hoppy bitterness. Perhaps it was a bit over-hopped. I taste the herb notes of the hops, but I didn't detect any spiciness from the rye at all. I'd probably rate this beer higher if it was simply called ``Sky High Pale Ale'' instead of ``Sky High Rye Pale Ale''. Overall, a very nice beer, but there are better beers of this style out there.

By the way, I notice that my bottle has a different label than the one posted here. Mine has a bunch of airplanes on it. I'm not sure if mine is old or the one in the picture is.

3.68/5  rDev -0.3%

A - At first glance the appearance is average. The beer is really carbonated and the pour produced a thick foamy head.

S - The hops overpower everything, I do detect a small amout of Rye.

T - The taste is fresh with big hop flavor. The after taste of the rye is good, but i really want more rye.

M - This Sky High Rye is a good beer but not spectacular. It drinks very easily. I have not had the luxery of having a whole lot of Rye ales to drink. That me be part of my problem with this beer, I'm comparing it to beers like Hop Rod Rye.

This brew poured out a little lighter than I expected. It came out as a golden color with a fluffy white head on top. The lacing on the beer was pretty good. The smell of the beer has a little bit of rye on the nose, but it seems that the hops are what really come through on the nose. The taste of this was also hoppy, the rye didn't really settle in until the aftertaste. Sometimes I think the rye is a little too subtle for me to pickup. The mouthfeel was clean and refreshing. Overall I enjoyed the beer a lot. I'd drink this one again just about anytime.

4.13/5  rDev +11.9%

Bought at The Library in Manhattan, KS. Brought back to Oklahoma where I'm tasting it tonight.

Pours an attractive gold color with slight yeast sediment and very slight white head. Floral hop aroma.

Flavor is complex. Lots of hops but a nice zip from the rye. Lingering bitterness. Must be several kinds hops in the mix. Medium mouthfeel. Tiny bit of spiciness. Fairly crisp with a little bit of lingering malt, that is cut by the hops.

Overall a good refreshing beer. I like the rye element with the hops.

Arcadia Sky High Rye from Arcadia Brewing Company