Arcadia Thunder Trail | Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia Thunder TrailArcadia Thunder Trail

Arcadia Brewing Company

Style: Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB)

Formerly called Arcadia Lake Superior ESB.

Thunder Trail stays true to our English brewing heritage. With a strong backbone of Maris Otter and Crystal malts, this Extra Special Bitter is balanced by earthy, spicy, English hops Our Ringwood yeast strain imparts a distinctly fruity character that is accented by dry-hopping with a modest amount of palisade hops. We hope you enjoy this quality session ale - wherever the trail may take you.

Added by StoutHunter on 04-19-2013

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 26 | Ratings: 120
2.91/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

I picked up a bottle of Arcadia's Thunder Trail ESB a couple days ago for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. This is a new one from Arcadia and the first time they have bottled it, it's been a long time since I have had an ESB and I'm interested to see how it is, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, I know it's fresh since it was just released. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- I'm not a big fan of the label, I think it looks a little cheesy. It poured a slight orange amber color that took on more of a darker amber and almost copper color when held to the light with a fingers worth of white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and only left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This beer looked decent the color was good, but the head and lacing were a little disappointing.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by some grainy bready, biscuity, and slight caramel malt like aromas. Up next comes a nice fruity aroma that seems to be mixture of dark fruits and stone fruits, it's nice and unique. Towards the end there's some earthy and slightly spicy hops. The aroma was nice, I liked the unique fruity aspect.

T- The taste seems to be somewhat similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by some malts that impart a grainy, bready, biscuty, and slight caramel malt like flavor. Up next comes an unwanted buttery flavor followed by some watery malt flavors, and pretty much no hop flavors. I didn't like the taste of this beer, It would have been average if it didn't have those buttery flavors.

M- Smooth, watery, medium bodied, with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, but it felt watery.

Overall I wasn't a fan of this beer and I thought It was a below average example of the style, it didn't have enough ESB aspects, it was just way too off for the style and the buttery flavors didn't help either. This beer didn't have good drinkability, it was smooth and not filling, but the flavors didn't hold my attention at all and one is enough for me, no need to drink another. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, it wasn't true to style, but the unique fruity aromas weren't that bad. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste, it was bland, under hopped with some buttery off flavors. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it's not a good example of the style and I wouldn't recommend it. All in all I was let down with this beer, Arcadia is a pretty solid Brewing company, but this was a below average beer with too many problems, I didn't like it. I know Arcadia can better then this, no need to release it again unless the recipe gets reworked. My least favorite Arcadia beer so far.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last