Creemore Springs UrBock | Creemore Springs Brewery Limited

Creemore Springs Brewery Limited
Ontario, Canada

Style: Bock

Availability: Fall

Bock beers gained notoriety in Munich back in 1612. All the Bavarian nobles were drinking fashionable northern ales known as Einbeck Bier. So Duke Maximillian I of Munich hired his own northern brewmaster, who created a lager similar in character but superior in taste. It won back the local aristocrats. Inspired by his entrepreneurial spirit we started brewing our own urBock – rich, ruby-hued beer with subtle, dark roasted flavours. It’s an aristocratic beer but rest assured, you needn’t be a Duke to enjoy it.

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 12-10-2001

3.75/5  rDev +3%

3.69/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.41/5  rDev -6.3%

A: 1/4" tan head that dissipated quickly over brown liquid with good clarity.

S: Smells yeasty and somewhat metallic.

T: A very slight bitterness to it, it tastes like earthy hops, bread and a rich caramel malt.

M: Thin viscosity and medium level of fine carbonation.

O: A so-so offering from the Molson-owned Granville Island Brewing of the East.

3.39/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured into a standard pint glass, and it looks very, very nice. A strong thick head with a deep rich brownish red colour about it. Looks very, very nice.

The nose though is nothing noteworthy. It is slightly sweet with a but of malt underneath but not much more.

Tasting it left me wondering what happened to such a nice looking beer? It looks delicious, smells average and tastes quite thin... There is an underlying sweetness, but it doesn't have any malt I can note within its body, which is so very thin. The beer though is saved by a lingering bitterness that is nice. A good finish on an otherwise non noteworthy beer.

The carbonation seemed light. Our server mentioned this was her favorite red beer, so I am left wondering if it was perhaps served too cold (it was quite cold) or if she just doesn't have the same beer tastes as I do.

3.46/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Look - Dark orange almost red, thick cream-coloured head. Nice lacing.
Smell - Slightly metallic, malty, alcohol.
Taste - Very malty, toasted cereals, quite sweet.
Feel - Lightly carbonated, feels full-bodied.
Overall - Haven't had many bocks and this one seems pretty good.

4.02/5  rDev +10.4%

3.57/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Purchased at the LCBO for $2.85 473ml can. Served at 5deg C in a draught glass

A- Pretty good. Pours with a nice 1" head that tapers to a film within a minute. Very dark

S- A bit lacking. Definitely caramel scents

T- Ok. A bit bitter from the roasted malt. Ok hops.

M- Light yet heavy LOL. Weird but good. Not creamy but not dry.

O- Pretty good. Not special but pretty good. Will buy if I see it on tap

Food Pairing

This interesting little beer pairs well with... Pumpkin pie! The cinnamon really comes out with this beer.

3.75/5  rDev +3%

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

Finally got my hands on this (the LCBO's up here don't get this). Has a dark ruby color. Nice foam and lacing.

Smells of bread/malts, fruits and earthy. Could really smell anything else.

Tastes of fruits, a bit of caramel malt and a whimper of alcohol. Well I am happy I was able to try it.

3.85/5  rDev +5.8%

A huge fan of Creemore's lager and pilsner, and with a winter storm a brewin' I figured the urBock was in order. Nice to see the traditional goat emblem on the bottle.

Pours an amber-chocolate hue, leaves about an inch of offwhite head, which has nicely receded to a ring encircling the glass. Lots of foamy lacing. Looks like a root beer, oddly enough.

The nose is malt and caramel, with possibly a bit of raisins in the back. Not bad.

The taste is quite nice, if a little muted. Nice and malty, with notes of toffee, caramel and sweet white wine. A lingering pepper finish, and this is where I detect a slight warming alcohol sensation. The flavours work well, but could have been more pronounced.

Mouthfeel is on the lower carbonation, slightly thinner than I'd like.

Glad I picked this one up; I've been passing it by at the LCBO for too long. It's not my favorite Creemore brew, as it could have been a bit more hearty, but it's quite tasty and is going down well.

3.63/5  rDev -0.3%

12oz bottle from a 6pk carton that claims that it's "Delivered Fresh Weekly". My bottling date states it was bottled Feb. 24 which is a little over a month ago, and while that's not last week, it's fresh enough for me.

Pours a caramel amber color with a finger plus of creamy head, pretty standard says I.

Nose has a caramelly bread base with just a touch of grassy hops peeking out.

Caramel and bread, dark fruits, touch of grassy hops in there, light drying finish, thin sweetness behind in there, pretty light body though it makes a really easy drinking beer. Pleasant carbonation. Nothing wowing here but a pleasant change-up from Ontario's premier lager brewers, a nice light, easy-drinking beer with a bit of pleasant malt. Not hefty, just drinkable. Going to go great with my steak this pleasant spring evening.

3.71/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.32/5  rDev -8.8%

I'm probably one of the biggest advocates that there is for Creemore Springs' flagship brew, their premium lager (yes, i'll admit it - even after their buyout by Molson) - I've never before, however, had a chance to try their seasonal brew, Creemore Springs Traditional urBock. Well, let's change that, shall we.

Of course, the most dissapointing thing about the Molson takeover is the fact that Creemore is now using standard brown bottles, as opposed to the unique shape that previously seemed to define the symbology of the brew. But alas, I poured this beer aggressively, and was still only left without a finger of head that dissappeared inside of thirty seconds (although with a considerable amount of - admittedly, a little runny - lacing). The brew itself has a reddish amber glow to it, especially around the edges, with the body being a just barely transluncent brownish-black. Not bad, though I'll admit my relative ignorance with regards to the style.

Smell seems faintly skunky, even though the expiration date is long off and the beer was well-stored in a closed six-pack carton. Seems faintly winey, almost sour, some vague fruit notes, strong barley malts and hops. Faint caramel, perhaps. The slightest hint of some sort of chocolate, maybe? A lot of really faint odours here that are present, but hard to detect and even harder to distinguish. Still, not bad at all.

Taste is quite malty - bready, grainy on the tongue. A slight bitterness throughout that mingles a little bit with the less dominant herby-floral-y hops. Some roasted malts... slightly caramel-y, nutty, burnt, maybe. Finishes dry, with a battle between the malts and hops for attention on the tastebuds. Reminds me a little of Wychwood's Fiddler's Elbow - though somewhat better (and this is decidedly not an English Pale Ale, but that was the closest comparison i could come up with in my mind). There's nothing totally special here, but definitely a respectable taste that would be beyond the palate of many beginners (it should, however, be pointed out that it fails to live up to the standard of Creemore's Premium Lager, which is by far one of my favourite brews).

Mouthfeel is not bad. The carbonation is perhaps a little sharp on the tongue - but then, I'm picky about my carbonation levels. Medium body, though it seems to 'thin' out and become a tad watery as it sits on your tongue. Drinkability is something I'm not so sure about. I suppose there's a reason that this is a seasonal brew - higher alcohol to warm you and a slightly more complex taste to catch your interest during the winter months. However, I could still realistically see myself having two or three in an extended sitting with friends over a roaring fire, or maybe a game of euchre.

Creemore Springs' urBock is a respectable brew that fails to amaze, but also doesnt dissapoint. Taste is interesting enough to appeal to a beer advocate, and even if it's nothing superbly special, it's also something I'll look forward to around the Christmas season. Worth a try, I say - but only after you've tried Creemore's excellent lager first.

3.92/5  rDev +7.7%

Can into tall glass.

A- Dark maple syrup brown pour with thin off white head that is short lived. Very little lacing.

S- Subtle brown sugar and maple syrup. Dark stone fruits, caramel and toffee. Slight floral presence from the hops.

T- Stone fruits, including figs, dates and a slight cherry presence. Caramel and brown sugar. There is a earthy aftertaste.

M- Light bodied, chewy with a good carbonation.

O- Creemore puts out a quality brew, this one is by far my favorite.

Not my style of choice in beer, but is certainly acceptable in all the BA categories......taste is a little to sweet for me, yet this brew has qualities that you know must be appreciated by those who care for this particular style....
I guess what I am trying to say here is that this brew has all the qualities of a fine product, but needs to be critiqued by a more knowledgeable person than I......

3.3/5  rDev -9.3%

Presentation: Squat amber 11.5 oz bottle. Freshness date of 07/03. Received as part of a beer trade with AKSmokedPoter (who has done a great job of getting new beer styles to me as part of his membership in something like 183 different "beer of the month" clubs).

Appearance: Deep clear copper with a tan-colored head that settles nicely to a thin layer. Nice lacing of the glass.

Smell: Malty sweet on the nose. A pleasant mixture of sweet caramel and fruity aromas.

Taste: A little too sweet for me. I was hoping for a little more balanced beer, but it's certainly not bad. Easy to drink with a fruity aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Thinly smooth and creamy. Not much body, perhaps dur to low carbonation?

Drinkability: Above average. Nothing in this beer to remember it by, but not a burden on the palate. Having read the description of the style, I guess I expected more of a hop influence (being the hop-head that I am).

3.56/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

Beer received from liamt07. Cheers!

Dark amber color beer crowned with a creamy beige head. The head sticks well to the glass. Nice looking beer. Caramel malts in the nose. Front is caramel malts, strong... however in the back I get some hops notes. Woody. Taste, wow I would have guess more intensity here. Malty as a good bock. However, it is too simple in the taste to really appreciate this one. Would greatly gain in being more complex in the taste. Not bad however. Easy to drink. Refreshing. Warms.

Another good offering from Creemore.

3.23/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - Another trade from ludachris, thanks man. Poured with a solid thumb of head that does lace a little bit, and sustains decently. The beer itself is a deep clear red tinted copper. The carbonation however for this beer looks out of control.

Smell - Definitely getting some grape/raisin smell from this one, as well as a touch of acidic citrus. I'm also catching a bit of sweet malt and apples in the background. However, something is a bit off about the whole experience.

Taste - Well I think I found what is off about the smell, I think I'm tasting prunes, which while different, isn't what I look for in a beer. Starts with sweet malts and then turns a very abundant mixed fruit flavor. I'm catching apples, oranges, grapes, peaches and prunes. The whole thing ends with a slightest touch of fruity hops that frankly taste watered down.

Mouthfeel - This beer leave quite a sweet aftertaste, however it also leaves a bit of an acidic quality. It lingers for a while, but thankfully it does not built upon itself. The beer is smooth going down, but it also far too carbonated.

Drinkability - Well the beer is refreshing and good going down. In addition it's not that heavy, however after a bit of time the acidic quality doesn't sit well in the stomach.

Final Thoughts - This beer was a bit of disappointment, mainly because of how good the Creemore Lager is. It's still pretty good, but it's not sitting very well, which is really a shame. Worth a try for sure, but I wouldn't buy a six pack of it.

3.68/5  rDev +1.1%

Had this on tap at the WINKING JUDGE in Hamilton, Ontario. Pours an amber/rouge body with minimal head present. A little watery, but the taste was still great. Malty sweetness was what I was getting. Overall a well balanced beer which I imagine would be really nice after a hard days work.

Creemore Springs UrBock from Creemore Springs Brewery Limited