Trinity IPA | Trinity Brewhouse

Trinity IPATrinity IPA

Trinity Brewhouse
Rhode Island, United States
trinitybrewhouse.com

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

Added by bewley on 08-18-2005

3.6

3.82/5  rDev +6.1%

To celebrate NH4ker #30 Passaconaway

Very cloudy dandelion to dark wheat color. Thin head dissolves into a lichen pocked film.

Smells like herbal, earthy East Kent Goldings. Soft, prickly piney bubblegum EKG. Tastes hoppier than it smells with sharp piney bitter and dry cracker malt.

I'm not usually and English IPA guy but this is up there with the ones I like best (Berkshire Lost Sailer comes to mind). I think I prefer American brewers brewing Engilsh IPAs just like I like Billie Joe imitating an Englishman imitating an American better than a British accent. Yup.

3.62/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Appearance is an opaque light amber. An inch of head settles to a nice quarter-inch cap after a minute. Really nice lacing and excellent retention.

Smells of sweet citrus and hops. It also smells a little malty.

Very hoppy and bitter on the front-end. It is borderline metallic. There is robust hop flavor but the sweetness mentioned in the nose does not really come through in the taste. There is a nutty and malty aftertaste that offers a little more complexity to the palate.

This has a great MF. Moderate carbonation with a great silkiness in texture. Light to medium body.

Overall I think this is a pretty good example of the style. Slightly bitter for my taste, but those who are all about the IBUs will like this one.

4.58/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

As a fan of the big West Coast double IPAs (Lagunitas Maximus, Racer 5, Sculpin...), I would say this is one of if not my favorite IPA on the East Coast, and I have extra respect for it because, to me, it captures a unique deliciousness niche that I don't know from other beers. My go-to when I visit Providence, RI.

Appearance- A rusty orange hue with nice lacing in the pint glass. Clarity varies a lot depending on where they are in the keg, but I did not notice a difference in the taste when the pint was relatively cloudy, so nothing to worry about.

Smell- Earthy overall, but I first get hops, then sweet orange or grapefruit malt with the hops lingering. Adds a nice preview to the tasting experience.

Taste- A continuation from the citrus, from the smell, with a drier, sharper, tart middle and finish. Also some grounding, courtesy of barn-dank malt down below. Smooth mouthfeel kind of melds into the same category here. Very enjoyable experience.

I have tried this one in a bottle as well as on-tap, and although the bottle is just fine, this is one with subtleties that come off much better on-tap....Come on over to Trinity during a quiet afternoon, play chess with a friend, take your time with a couple of pints of this, and savor away.

3.59/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Review from notes taken a couple hours ago, 8/7/13

Appearance: Somewhere between medium orange and copper - some chill haze, but mostly clear - big, rocky, creamy, off-white head - very impressive retention, and some nice lacing - decidedly pretty

Smell: Light citrus, herbal, and grassy hops - oily grapefruit, rind, and some pith - orange rind as well - pine needles and mint - earthy and tea-like aromas - some caramel malt sweetness

Taste: Sharp, unexpectedly bitter citrus and pine - oily grapefruit rinds - orange rind and some lemon zest - dry pine needles - notably earthy, herbal, grassy, and spicy - cooked, caramelized malts, caramel malts, and some toasted grains - medium amount of sweetness - notably bitter, more than average bitterness

Mouthfeel: Medium body, smooth, nicely carbonated, earthy, bitter finish

Overall: Makes a little more sense now that I know this is supposed to be an English IPA

The hop profile in this is quite odd. It's not a blast of bitter citrus like most American IPAs. It's more herbal, earthy, and grassy, but it packs a bitter punch. I've been meaning to try beers from Trinity for a while, and this was not a bad choice.

2.75/5  rDev -23.6%

4.5/5  rDev +25%

2.5/5  rDev -30.6%

3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

A-Deep copper/orange. Hazy without lots of sediment. Tons of soapy head and lacing. Very good looking IPA.

S- Toasted malts and citrus. I even get a kind of nuttiness as well.

T- Bitter hop bite! WOW! Citrus hop flavor! sweet, but not too sweet. Mild malt flavor. I don't get the toasted notes in the taste as I did in the smell. This is a hop head's dream come true! An honor to see this came from Rhode Island!

M- Medium mouthfeel. Dry! I like how dry it is, but it's not the easiest thing to drink in the world.

Overall this is a great IPA. I really liked it! I just wish it had a high malt to hop ratio. I like my IPAs with a bigger malt presence. It was a flavorful hop bomb for sure. If I ever am in the mood for a big IPA, and happen to see this in Southern New England or in Rhode Island, I'll get it no problem!!!

Trinity IPA from Trinity Brewhouse