Back Hand Of God Stout | Crannóg Ales

Crannóg Ales
British Columbia, Canada
crannogales.com

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Lean in body and powerful in flavour, Back Hand of God Stout has won many consumers' choice awards. This dry stout is easy to drink, rich and inviting. It is extraordinarily smooth and mildly hopped with a distinct coffee/chocolate presence.

Added by canucklehead on 03-01-2004

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
3.75/5  rDev -9.4%

3.66/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

On draft at Tap & Barrel, Vancouver.

Chocolate-amber with beige film that trails.
Tobacco, smoke, cherry and meat on the nose - more brown than stout.
Red berry, root beer, barky tang and chicory bite to end.
Cola finish and brown sugar linger.
Med, chewy, round.

Almost not a stout - lots of sugar, no roast, doesn't clean up after itself. Too sweet, no coffee, no chocolate and did I mention too sweet? Pinkie toe of God, maybe.

4.31/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.05/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours black with a light brown head. Dissipates rather quickly.

Aroma of coffee and dark malts.

Taste of coffee, dark malts and some light dark chocolate.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and lightly cleansing.

Overall, a very drinkable beer. Enjoyable and sessionable.

3.75/5  rDev -9.4%

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

3.74/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Big thanks to wordemupg for this rarity.

Poured from a growler and shared a little with my wife.

Appearance: Pours a real thick black body that unfortunately has no head though i can coax a tiny bit of foam.

Smell: Heady and strong with some charred wood and chocolate.

Taste: Nice mix of wood, chocolate and coffee. Very roasted and good.

Mouthfeel: Obviously the lack of carbonation hinders it a bit but it does have a slick smoothness, some moderate bitterness and very easy to drink.

Overall: Despite its lack of carbonation, a true testament to the brew's quality as the flavors and aroma still shine through.

4.26/5  rDev +2.9%

pint at Checkers in Vernon 25/1/12

A dark cola with a dark thin film that had no room due to a top filled pint, some polka dot lacing where the head had a chance

EDIT went back for a jug and when I poured it myself I got a thick mocha head and could see 6 distinct rings after each sip and still had foam at the bottom

S soft caramel and chocolate milk with a little dark roast coffee and nutty chocolate, smells a little faint however but what's there I like
EDIT second time around we ordered a jug half an hour before drinking it and much stronger smell after it warmed

T quite an improvement over the smell with some char, espresso and darker chocolate, flavours much more bold then the nose but still has all I smell just a darker roast and much stronger

M medium bodied and quite silky, just enough bubbles and a coffee after taste lingers faintly for a while

O solid beer for sure with great flavours for a lighter stout, I had a couple pints and was far from being board

I didn't expect to see this on tap at Checkers of all places but I jumped on it for sure. This was on my BC trip list but I didn't think it would be so easy too find. I was going to go to the brewery to get a growler of this and... now that I think of it I still might so I can try it at a higher temp as I don't think the ice cold serving did it any justice. a re-rate perhaps?

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

I love backhand of god. crannog makes me happy.

Appearance - Darkish Colour, no head with minimal lacing and a thin ring of foam

Smell - Coffee and Malt, a full smell that you get right in the full of your nose.

Taste - Coffee and Chocolate. A very pleasing finish as well.

Mouthfeel - Pleasing medium body, not too full, not too much carbonation.

Overall - Not as heavy as some stouts that I have had in the past. But, of course, very pleasing overall. I always buy this when I see it on tap. Definitely worth the price of admission, so to speak.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast