Brewers' Cut California Common | Real Ale Brewing Company

3.89/5
Alströms:

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

3.59/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into pilsener
(best by 4/13/14; drank on 2/23/14)

L: hazy/clear but close to 100% clarity ... orange-gold with 3/4-inch white to offwhite head; nice color ... a bit orange and different; no major stick or lace

S: medicinal grain; dirt, mud ... earthy; grain

T: medicinal grain ... tastes cleaned out; grain bites on back end, but it's showing little to no malt or malt sweetness ... cracker at most; otherwise, lots of alcohol/medicine taste; as it warms and at its best, it's a solid grain bomb

F: solid all around, good carbonation

O: pains me to say it, but not great ... I love the fact that Real Ale tried to tackle a style almost nobody bothers with; Anchor Steam is a personal favorite; unfortunately, this brew had way too much of a medicinal/rubbing alcohol taste to it

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

3.91/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I really like Anchor Steam, but at $9.75 a six pack, I rarely buy it. This was only $7.25 at the local HEB, so I thought I'd give it a try. This is a very smooth beer, with good carbonation, yeasty bread flavor up front, floral hops, and just the right amount of bitterness. Dry and very refreshing on a 90 degree day. A good beer to start the summer with. I'll buy more over the next few months if it's available.

3.5/5  rDev -10%

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

Not especially outstanding in appearance, but not bad either. Orange-tan and clear, without a large head or lots of lace, but not bad.

The aroma and flavor kind of reminded me of their wonderful Altbier, a good malty base and a nice bit of floral hops, combined with a lightly grassy / almost hay-like notes, finished off with a little bready biscuit and caramel malt notes.

Carbonation is about spot-on, despite the lack of head.

Damn drinkable, I'll say that for sure. Hard to keep from pounding that first one, as I was very thirsty after a long day! Certainly well crafted tho, RABC never lets me down. Because they're so good it makes it easy to buy local too.

The more I drink it, the more I want this to be a year-round beer. A buddy of mine who doesn't drink that much beer says "if this were how all beer tasted, I'd drink beer all the time." It's grown on us both. Dangerously delicious.

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%