Lost Gold IPA | Real Ale Brewing Company

realalebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Added by kbub6f on 12-29-2004

3.96/5  rDev +3.9%

From my tasting notes: I had the Lost Gold on draft and it poured a golden amber with decent white head. It is definitely a maltier IPA which gives it a good balance, but it could have used a bit more hops punch for my tastes. I don't mean to take away from the Lost Gold as it is a fine beer and a good local IPA option. Ultimately this is another great offering from Real Ale that is definitely worth your time and taste-buds.

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.68/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: golden (hence the name), single finger head that dissipates relatively quickly but leaves a nice lacing, lots of carbonation bubbles at first but almost none after it settles

S: strong hop smell of grapefruit, pine, lemon; smells great!

T: good light IPA, not overboard on the hops (could use more dry hops in my opinion), slight bitterness that finishes dry. This is a good, session able beer, but I expected more.

M: light, low carbonation, good summer beer

O: overall, not a bad beer but for the price there are much better IPAs out there

UPDATE: I got a 6er of this beer again and found it to be extremely better than the 1st time I had it. I'm not sure if it's bottle-conditioned or varies bottle to bottle, but wow this is a great great beer. Thank you Real Ale.

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

4.81/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours hazy amber/honey color with thick foamy head. As far as head retention and lacing go, I really have seen many beers that can top this one. Nice piney, hoppy aroma with hints of citrus. Slightly hop forward taste with a nice malty backbone at the end. Excellent transition with this beer. The hoppy bitterness is excellent with a great bitter aftertaste at the end. This beer has never disappointed me. One of my favorites

3.34/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Lost Gold IPA
Real Ale
20130623
12oz bottle to English Pub pint
IPA
Best by 11.24.13

A – Thin head that quickly dissipated. Cloudy, can see a lot of sediments. Quite orange colored, slightly translucent. Not very appealing.

S – I get orange, pineapple, lemon and hay. A tiny bit of pine and something light like vanilla or coconut. The light smell is slightly earthy, making me lean toward coconut. I find myself wanting a little more pine in here. When I lightly swirl it, I pick up some momentary butter.

T – Some citrus and grass up front, butter with citrus in the middle, and some pine with a good low level of bitterness on the back end. After a few sips, I find myself liking this progression more than on the first sip. I do like the aftertaste quite a bit, the citrus and pine linger through without being too bitter.

M – Medium body, leaning toward the heavy side slightly. Even so, I feel like it keeps its distance from the tongue, making it feel artificially thin. Feels like a good carbonation level in the mouth despite just a wisp of head and a handful of bubbles. Finishes with a good dryness, slightly above average but not by much for an IPA. I’d like if some of the ‘weight’ in the mouth could be transferred to make the perceived mid sip feel a tad thicker (than thin).

D – Seems like an average IPA. Very fruity, but needing a bit more pine. Before I liked IPAs, I probably would’ve found this amazing; it’s definitely a gateway IPA, and for that it is laudable. However, I’m finding the balance to be off in STM. I think the malt level is pretty much good, but some more pine-bearing hops could be added.
3, 3.25, 3.5, 3.25, 3.25; 3.3