Full Moon Pale Rye Ale | Real Ale Brewing Company

realalebrewing.com

Style: Rye Beer

Added by kbub6f on 12-12-2001

4.83/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Numberical scores above are from the most recent review

Review of 2014-12-21:

AP 4.75 AR 4.75 F 5 MF 4.5 OA 4.75

Bought at Central Market in Fort Worth, Texas (with an expiration date of next month) and transported to Oklahoma via Amtrak.

I have long loved this beer, since at least 2001 when I got to taste one fresh off the bottling line at the old brewery.

Tonight is a chance to revisit this glorious beer of old and I'm impressed.

It pours a copper colored slightly hazy liquid. Wonderful hop-laden aroma with lots of citrus. Flavor is much better than I remembered. I'm picking up pineapple, and spices (I'm assuming this from the rye). Nicely balanced between sweet and dry notes.

Very nice and full mouthfeel with hop oil that lingers on the palate.

I really like this beer. Even better than I remembered. I do think (from reading my previous review) that the key to greatness for this beer is catching it fresh.

Review of 4-12-2012:
AP 4.5 AR 4 F 4.5 MF 4 OA 4.5 - Average 4.35

(review is of a beer aged for 3 years)

I'm amazed I haven't reviewed this beer before, especially because I've drank it straight off the line (about 10 years ago while visiting the brewery at their old location) and have had many time since.

Nevertheless, I discovered a very old bottle (expiration date of 7/22/09 (old enough that is the old bottle design), so I thought, what the heck, I might as well review it for kicks.

I actually like the results of the aging for this beer.

The hops have died down to being in the background, so now there are lots of coppery notes and lots of malt. Nice bready aroma. Mouthfeel is medium. And lots and lots of rye (the best part). It tastes like rye bread, for real.

I like this beer aged. I highly recommend it.

4.8/5  rDev +28%

BBD of 1 aug 06

Pours amber/orange with a tight 1.5" sand colored head. Very good lacing &good head retention

Nice biscuitty/rye pepperry spicy aromas compete for your nostril's attention

Taste: Big time toasty/peppery rye flavors up front, yum. Slight citrus hopsmack sneaks in on the corner of the tounge. Also a slight alcohol burn. Then a slight fruittyness sneaks in as well. Finishes peppery & quenching& crisp

Great balance, medium body & very good carbonation

This is a quaffer. I loved this stuff when I had it at the GABF in 04 on draft & this is very nice the bottle as well. Wish I could've found this somewhere else besides central market in san antonio, yummy! Easily one of the best rye beer's I've ever had!

4.72/5  rDev +25.9%

Pours a beautiful clear copper color with a large fluffy cream-colored head. The aromas of light fresh baked rye bread notes roll off of this beer and are highlighted by light hops and light alcohol notes blending in nicely to make for a mouth-watering combination. The taste mirrors the aroma with a creamy smooth blend of flavors and perfectly balanced hops. This is a medium to light bodied brew that has a creamy mouthfeel and finishes slightly dry. This is one very good, very solid brew! I loved it! Cheers!

4.63/5  rDev +23.5%

Cloudy golden red with a undulating (extra point word) tan head. It looks like a pale ale should, in short. Aroma is sweet caramel malt and a surprisingly delicate hop note. The taste is crisp with the rye malt dominating. VERY refreshing, the sweetness of the malt balances the hops well. Tastes of rye bread and, well, rye bread. The hops come after the flavor as just a lingering note in your mouth. Seriously. This stuff rocks. The mouthfeel is nicely carbonated and light, adding to the refreshing nature of the beer. Its a good beer for those days when its just a bit too hot to sit in a biergarten but that doesn't stop you. The drinkability? Let's just say that the six pack didn't last long. :)

4.57/5  rDev +21.9%

A-Pours a deep rich clear golden color with pour retention with good lacing.

S-Strong rye and bright earthy hops, WOW, with slight sweet bannanas.

T-The flavor has a lot of bright earthy hops and some sweet rye.

M-Medium to full bodied and very smooth and crisp.

D-Very VERY drinkable. Very good.

4.54/5  rDev +21.1%

Cask-conditioned at Texas Craft Beer festival. Hazy amber color, very full and creamy head. Aroma is outstanding: peppery & citrusy, a wonderful blend of hops and rye malt. Flavor likewise is very good. Starts out lightly bitter with good rye flavor, not overwhelming like some ryes. A pleasant spicy pepperiness with just a touch of sweetness. Moderately fruity, more so than I've noticed in the bottle, and somewhat yeasty at the finish. Carbonation is moderately low, mouthfeel full.

The bottled version is alright but mostly ordinary. This cask-conditioned was incredibly good, with every flavor contributing equally and fully. The best beer of the festival!

4.5/5  rDev +20%

12oz bottle from assurbanipaul as part of Too Much Beer (2MB) BIF. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/2" beige head over the really cloudy coppery amber brew. Head fades at a reasonable pace, with plentiful lacing. Aroma is pale grains, with a whiff of rye noted, and ample fruitiness. Taste is robust malt sweetness, balanced and more so by the fruity hops. Mouthfeel is soft and smooth, and drinkability is superb. This one I could revisit all day.

4.5/5  rDev +20%

This beer pours a deep ruby color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes rather quickly into a nice cap of lacing. The aroma is of spicy rye, caramel, and grapefruit hiding underneath. The taste is spicy, then malty, then the hops kick in for a bit, then it turns spicy again in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with perfectly moderate carbonation, and a silky texture. Overall, this is a great pale ale. I really wish this were available in my area. If it were it would find itself in my fridge often. What a wonderful session beer!

4.5/5  rDev +20%

This is a very attractive beer. Orange/amber color, slightly hazy, with a full creamy rocky head. The nose is lots of hops and spices. It is incredibly appetizing. When I sip, I get a zingy bite from the spicy, bitter hops. It is so good! Full body, smooth mouthfeel, appetizingly dry finish that leaves me wanting more. I could drink this forever.

4.5/5  rDev +20%

A flagship brewer of Ales in Texas whose quality continues to rise.

This APA pours a nice, dark yellow/brown with a nice head and has a bit more of a bite due to the inclusion of the rye, which has set this beer apart.

The spice overtones make a nice accompaniment to chicken and dishes
with garlic.

In all, this does fine as session ale. I recommend alternating it with
a lighter tasting beer, such as their Fireman's #4 to provide contrast.

4.47/5  rDev +19.2%

Thanks to ballewblake for the care package. One of the few review notes that I remembered to save when I last reformatted in June.

The bottle notch signals that I should of drank this already(May). Though I did drink one of these earlier, it was just too humid to review anything sitting down on that sticky pleather.

A: Heavy on the suds, the mound falls flat in nearly an instant. A Nestea-colored body that's just a bit too murky to see through.

S: Noticeable yeast & some ethanol blow-off, followed by a fruity & slightly sour mix of orange/banana & dusty bread crust.

T/M: More tangy then sour. Sharply sweet edging on something fruity, but it hits quick & dies back. Good reliable grapefruit bitterness, constant feeling of dry grain, & a sturdy amount of carbonation keep you coming back for one more deep slurp. Only negative(for me) could be a tinge of metallic flavor in the aftertaste. Probably the result of not indulging at a constant pace. :P

A strait up tasty beer. :)

4.47/5  rDev +19.2%

I had previously reviewd a bottled version of this beer, and had suspected that there was a major flaw with my bottles that the brewers had not intended. Well let me say that I can safely put to rest any notion that Full Moon Pale Rye Ale is anything short of a magnificent beer.

Things are off to a superb start with the aroma, which is rich and malty. As a homebrewer, a smile immediately came to my face: this smells like a fresh hot mash! Malt is big in the flavor, with a nice dose of caramel. Rye imparts a sharpness to contrast the big round malt, as the hops appear mid-palate with a wave of bitterness. This easy, smooth drinker finishes with a caramel sweetness.

I would like to rescind my negative comments previously made about this beer. Pale Rye Ale is a real winner.

4.44/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass. Is a nice copper color with a slight fizz to it. Thin to medium head. Smells of light floral hops and a little citrus. Taste seems very well balanced: some initial bitterness (slightly) with a little bit of sweetness from the hops and rye. Leaves a very refreshing aftertaste from the rye.

Full Moon Pale Rye Ale from Real Ale Brewing Company