Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Full Moon Pale Rye Ale | Real Ale Brewing Company

realalebrewing.com

Style: Rye Beer

Added by kbub6f on 12-12-2001

3.55/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A-Hazy, amber with a ridiculous light tan head that just would not go away. I am not sure if it is always like that or I was just "lucky"! Took away from app. since I had to wait so damn long to drink it!

S-Spicy notes with an odd fruitiness that I simply could not put my finger on. A bit of dry maltiness, with hops about nil, or is that fruitiness the hops? Not a "bad" aroma...just odd. I give it a slighty above average simply for the interest factor.

T-Somewhat sweet flavour that is taken over with that odd fruitiness. I am not really sure what that is! Slightly astringent from the rye malt. Not bad overall.

M-Medium-light with a clean, crisp finish. Fairly smooth with no rough edges.

D-An interesting beer....nothing bad about it but nothing great. That odd fruity saroma and tsate have me puzzled though. I cant say I will be clamoring for more of this but I wont distain from drinking the other bottles I have.

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

This beer pours a deep ruby color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes rather quickly into a nice cap of lacing. The aroma is of spicy rye, caramel, and grapefruit hiding underneath. The taste is spicy, then malty, then the hops kick in for a bit, then it turns spicy again in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with perfectly moderate carbonation, and a silky texture. Overall, this is a great pale ale. I really wish this were available in my area. If it were it would find itself in my fridge often. What a wonderful session beer!

3.4/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Thanks to thickerfreakness for including this in our trade.

Pours a clear rich amber color with thin off-white head, average retention, little lacing. Smells of lemon rind, butterscotch, bread, and floral hops. Taste has some rye bread notes to it mixed with a solid caramel flavor, finishes only mildly bitter from a combination of cut grass and citrus peel. Medium in body and low in carbonation, smooth and sweet, but a bit unbalanced, needs more bitterness, somewhat syrupy. Fairly easy to drink and low in abv, but is a little weak compared to other rye ales.

3.8/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a slightly hazy copper color with about a 2 finger eggshell-colored head. Despite the myriad of bubbles streaming from the bottom, the head subsides rather quickly to form a 1/2" cap. Lots of lacing.... not too shabby.

The aroma is of rye, lemon rind, hay, and a certain musty maltiness. Not very hoppy in the nose, but not bad, either.

This beer is certainly more about the rye than it is about the hops. More well balanced than I had hoped, and by this I mean that I wish it had a bit more hop profile. Nevertheless, all in all a fairly tasty beer.

This is the aspect of the beer that shines in my opinion. The carbonation is subdued, and it is the perfect thickness to make this one a true quaffer. Drinkability is through the roof.

All in all... a well conceived brew.

3.97/5  rDev +7.3%

12 oz. bottle > 16 oz. SA glass

Thanks to rick Sawyer and Team Sinister for this bottle.

Pours out a cloudy, red hued, amber color, big carbonation and a mild 1/2" tall crown that dissipated pretty quick.

The aroma is very nice with a spicey, pineapple and ginger with fresh wheat 'n grains in the malt, mellow strawberries rounds it off.

A semi-sweet wheat malt flavor quickly gives way to an abundant array of fruity, citrus hop flavor's like, pineapple, peaches,and strawberries. It's a clean, springwater current that eases the balance. The Rye gives a freshly cut wheat field effect and the malt brings in a sweet current. There is a slightly astringent, vodka-like effect in the heat right a the end.

Light bodied feel, crisp, clean with a decent smooth edge in the finish.

for the most part, I really enjoyed it.

2.14/5  rDev -42.2%

Pours an attractive dark apricot body with a health off white head.

Aroma is sweet malts, grainy hops, and just a touch of rye. Faint and lighter than I would like.

Taste is off putting yet bland. Very sweet and unbalanced with damp grain flavors and a pineapple hoppy finish. I really don't get much rye character. The sweetness is almost cloying.

Drinkability is low, very low.

Not my kind of beer at all.

3.9/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to JDV for throwing this in as an extra in our recent trade.

a - pours a cloudy burnt orange color, one-inch ivory head with little retention or lacing

s - nicely balanced though subtle, piney hops mix in nicely with the fruitiness from the rye malt, hints of alcohol

t - like the nose, well balanced between a good amount of piney hops and the nice backbone of rye malt, some apple, not much alcohol, some graininess lingers on the finish

m - medium-bodied, moderate carbonation, somewhat dry on the finish

d - quite drinkable because of the balance and the moderate alcohol presence

Very nice beer overall...perhaps a decent session beer. Nicely balance though nothing really jumps out or is overly interesting. Well worth a try.

3.92/5  rDev +5.9%

On tap 4/24 @ Ginger Man Austin

Classic IPA pour-tight, soapy, bready head with copper clear body

Smells like a sweet grapefruit out of the tap. Mellows with warmth. Almost perfect for an APA but needs a supporting cast.

Grapefruit is all over the place in this one. It's great but that's about all I'm getting-it's sheerly dominant. Malt profile emerges with warmth. ISO more soapy, floral hop bitterness. Some slate comes about with warmth, as does some earthy, grassy but slightly floral hops. Very good.

Cleaner than normal-grapefruit pith aftertaste with malty earth tones. A little disjointed but interesting.

This has a lot of elements that work well individually but whole is not greater than sum of parts. This leaves me enjoying the effort but a little confused. Still, in Bill Parcells terms, "ya shopped for the groceries. Now cook the dinner."

3.57/5  rDev -3.5%

Thanks to wolfman17 for the beer.
Color is a mixture of orange/amber and gold. Flighty head struggles to form and then gives up. The lace hangs around awhile longer and then also leaves.
Aroma of butterscotch, faint hops and a bit of rye.
The flavor has much more caramel malt taste than I was expecting. The hops give more of an herbal earthy flavor than the typical piney/citrus flavors of the style. The rye adds a nice bit of spiciness. Especially in the finish.
Mouthfeel is light to medium. Pretty typical APA mouthfeel.
Nice drinkable beer.
I love rye beers mixed with lot's of hops. Terrapin's Rye Pale Ale and Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye. This is not in the same class as those but is still a good beer.

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

Appearance: Hazy amber in color, nearly opaque. The head holds up pretty well, lasting until halfway through the glass.

Aroma: Bready with earthy rye, citrusy hops and turbinado sugar.

Taste & mouthfeel: Caramel and rye bread, a bit on the sweet side for the style. Apricots, orange peel and earthy hops come out in the finish.

Notes: I found it slightly odd that a brewery called Real Ale Brewing Company would produce a non-bottle conditioned beer, but this is good stuff either way.

3.71/5  rDev +0.3%

Received this brew in a trade with "Turbine2475"

Pours a deep hazy orange brown color, white head settles fairly quickly to a thin foam. Lots of thick lacing. I get a heavy bready aroma, with some fruity notes, raisins, apricots maybe. Taste is lightly rye, would be nice if it was a bit heavier, but still okay. A nice dose of hop bitterness and malted rye on the finish. Mouthfeel is very moist, but fairly thin for a rye beer. Slightly grainy texture. A very nice rye beer, not my favorite of the style, but i would easily enjoy more of this.

3.63/5  rDev -1.9%

Blurry apricot with butter rum borders. The beer is crowned by a chunk of tight-bubbled foam that is the color of orange-brown sugar mousse. The cap is more firm than creamy, but still looks wonderful and is no slouch when it comes to decorating the glass.

The nose is more balanced than anticipated. It smells like caramel malt was used, although the brewery will only cop to 'malted rye and barley'. Unfortunately, the rye isn't exactly jumping out of the glass. Nor are the hops.

I love rye beer. Especially rye beer that is chock full of hops, like Founders Red's Rye. Full Moon Pale Rye is only modestly rye-like and could use a few more shovelfuls of little green cones. Don't get me wrong, it's good beer, it's just that it's a letdown compared to my probably unrealistically high expectations.

The malt backbone is *just* big enough for the ABV and tastes toasted and caramel-like. Again, there's a hint of spicy rye, though I probably couldn't have identified that grain if blinded. The Willamette and Cascade hops are responsible for an earthy fruitiness that favors bitter orange, along with a few shavings of white grapefruit rind. This beer is begging to be bigger.

There isn't much wrong with the mouthfeel. It feels roughly equivalent to an APA, which is pretty much what this is. The gentle feel of the carbonation gives it something of a cask vibe and makes drinking a breeze.

Since Real Ale probably sells this stuff as quickly as they can brew it, it's doubtful that they have any interest in an internet 'suggestion box'. I'm going to give my two cents anyway. They need to crank up the rye malt, crank up the hop load and change the hop bill to Centennial and Chinook. Now *that* would be a rye beer worth celebrating.

4.07/5  rDev +10%

It's about time I got around to reviewing this beer. This has been one of my "go to" beers for awhile.

Had on tap at the Real Ale Brewery.

Pours a dark amber with a medium head and nice lacing.

Nice hop aroma. Not as good as some pale ales but respectable.

Taste is very clean, the rye gives it a bit of a sharp finish that combines with the hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel is on par with at 5.2

Drinkability -- Great ! I drink the hell out of this --

4.18/5  rDev +13%

Bought this as part of a sampler pack from Real Ale. I really wasn't sure what to expect as this is only the second rye beer i've tried.

Pours a nice amber color with a small white head.

Smell is not overwhelming with a small hop prescense and a faint malt background.

Taste is surprisingly good with just enough rye malt in the back to make it distinctive as opposed to other pale ales.

Drinkability is very good. I could easily drink several of these in one sitting.

I must say i was pleasantly surprised by this beer, another impressive offering from the guys at Real Ale. Glad to see they're thinking outside the box.

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

if the head were a little more developed, this beer, and I know this sounds crazy, is on par with Dogfish head 60 minute IPA. I know thats pretty much heresy, but I'm sticking to my guns on this one. Gone are the days when I'd shell out 10 bucks for a sixer of DFH. This one is local, and it costs me 3 dollars less.

A really rewarding offering from one of the better breweries in Texas.

4.15/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This was my first 'rye beer' to try and I quite enjoyed the style. I don't have others to measure it against, but I thought this was a really well-balanced beer with a nice amount of bready rye flavor and aroma with a touch of sweetness. It was really easy to drink and I was surprised at how fast I drank it. I would like to try it as it warmed up a bit more.

poured from bottle into a tulip for maximum smelliness.

Pours a dark amber with a one finger white head that doesn't last long. Nice white ring around the glass with a puffy cloud in the center of the pale ale while it goes down, lite lacing on the glass.
Smell is nice and hoppy, but not too strong, just right for a pale ale. Taste is slightly flat on the carbonation, really smooth and lite against the tongue. A good session brew.

3.72/5  rDev +0.5%

Thanks go to turbine2475 for this bottle. Pours a slightly hazy orange/amber with a small head, but what's there sticks around. Smells fruity with grape, cherry, and plum plus a bit of spicy grain. The rye is noticeable, it's got some of the same aromas as a decent body of rye whiskey. The taste is a bit softer, and the fruit has been greatly diminished. It is soft and lightly spicy with some characteristic rye graininess. I'd like to see a sharper rye profile, with more spice and fruit, but it is pleasant enough. Mouthfeel is also soft and a tiny bit sweet with malt. Fairly nice and pretty refreshing. I like rye beers and I'm glad to try this one.

3.8/5  rDev +2.7%

A- Pours a nice rich amber color with very little head and no lacing at all.

S- Well, bready and rye for one and a little hops.

T- Kind of biscuity and could taste the rye for sure on this one. A good taste that is very different from other pale ales.

M- Low carbonation and I think maybe a litte dry.

D- Very drinkable beer, well balanced and goes down nice.

Thanks to JonathanL7890 for this one!!!

4.2/5  rDev +13.5%

Picked up in Austin.

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Haven't had a lot of rye pale ales. The rye seems to give an edge to this pale ale that is a little unusual, but I'm liking it. Kind of hard to describe, but all in all a damn good beer. Would be quite sessionable if I had more available to me.

Hats off to Real Ale for this one.

3.28/5  rDev -11.4%

Thanks to a great trader from El Paso for this one.

Poured this 12oz bottle into my favorite Chimay Chalice. Poured a orangey amber with a big frothy white head. Its a pretty beer but...this beer has a weak nose and a weak taste. The aroma is slightly orangey with just a bit of spice from the rye. Taste is slightly hoppy but mostly watery. Dang, where is the rye. I received this beer in a box chalk full of Texas brews and it was the one I was most excited about and will probably be the most disappointed by. I've only had 1 other Rye infused beer and they Rye contrasted the hops so well, and that's what I was expecting but not what was presented. Mouthfeel is good and the drinkability it good because its inoffensive. It's an really easily sessionable beer.

2.98/5  rDev -19.5%

Acquired this 12oz bottle in an extra from a very nice Austin, TX trader. Served right out of the fridge and poured into a Sam Adams fluted pint glass.

A - This one was poured in rather hard to try and get some liveliness going in it, which seemed to work, as the pour itself was very cloudy and hazy, with a very nice three finger high head of white colored foam on the top. Excellent retention on this one as well, as the head hung around for a good few minutes before finally settling down to just a thin layer of lace across the top, maybe a quarter of an inch thick that stayed with it until the very end. Nice side glass presentation as well, though it faded a bit towards the finish. There was definitely some carbonation streaming up as well throughout the glass. The color was a very ruddy and hazy looking light brownish amber. Really hard to see through it, though it was rather light. Overall not a bad look for a rye ale.

S - The aroma was practically non-existent, which to be honest was a bit of a shock to me. I had thought from the initial appearance of this one that it would have had a robust aroma to go along with the look, but alas, it did not, rather it was kinda dull with just the faintest of smells, until I let it warm up a bit to see if I could bring out some more of the subtleties in it. The first thing I noticed in regards to the aroma was the rye malt, they must have used crates of it in here, as it pretty much blocked everything else from coming through. I am a big fan of rye beers, but the aroma here seemed a little off to me. A very slight bit of hoppiness then ensued as well, very slight with just a floral citrus like aroma coming off of it; however, the rye malt slammed all over this. Some light hints of grain, maybe a touch of banana, but overall just a touch light for me.

T - Next up, I decided to take a quick taste of this one to see what might come of it. Now I was in an odd situation here, as I was very pleased with the appearance, but the aroma really left me looking elsewhere, so it is about time to settle this one up. I was kind of disappointed in it to be completely honest. I was hoping it would come through and show me a rather nice pale ale, however it was just plain watered down. Everything about it to me seemed to be too thin and watery. The rye malts were there, but muted, there was a very slight bit of orange hoppiness to it, but again, it was muted. There was some light grains, which actually came though rather nice in the finish, but the whole thing was just watery and disappointing overall.

M - Way too watery. It was actually somewhat full on just a weighted scale, I mean it was not a light bodied pale, there was definitely some substance to it, and the problem was that it was just way too watery on the flavors, which was very disappointing. The finish as well was hampered by this as there was really just nothing big to cap it with and the whole thing just ran away from itself far too much.

D - I mean I guess it was an okay session ale in way; I just really did not care for it. It was low in ABV and light enough in profile to be easily thrown down, but there was just something lacking about it.

Overall, I cannot say this was a complete disaster, as it was not; it was just maybe a bad batch? It reminded me a lot of some of the local brews we have around here, they taste like they are slippery or watered down and it really makes the taste suffer because of it. Oh well, I have a couple others from them, and I will see how they hold up.

3.92/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a nice bronzed color with a white pillowy head that slides across the glass without much trace left behind. Smells of fresh baked bread, some biscuity malts make there way through and the cascade hops finally catch up with some grapefruit aromas. Taste is very similar, sweet, bready rye with some whole wheat hits the palate first and then the cascades finish her off with a nice boquet of floral and grapefruit aromas.

Mouthfeel is good, a bit soapy in my opinion. Would enjoy if it would coat the mouth a bit more so those hops can linger on the palate a little bit longer.

Enjoyed it!

3.83/5  rDev +3.5%

Bottle courtesy of Bu11zeye: Poured a deep hazy brown color ale with a big foamy head with good retention but no lacing. Aroma of rye malt with some light bitter hops also noticeable. Taste is a mix between some bitter hops with loads of rye malt which provide some complexity to a usually less complex refreshing style. Body is quite full for the style with some great carbonation.

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

Pretty good, aroma is a nice mixture of malts. Pours a nice light and clear brown with a creamy off-white head with good lacing. Flavor is a bit bitter and then turns slightly salty, Hops and Malty profile. Very drinkable, my only complaint is that it is a bit watery.

Full Moon Pale Rye Ale from Real Ale Brewing Company