Rio Blanco Pale Ale | Real Ale Brewing Company

Rio Blanco Pale AleRio Blanco Pale Ale

Real Ale Brewing Company
Texas, United States
realalebrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by kbub6f on 12-17-2001

1.75/5  rDev -49.3%

1.98/5  rDev -42.6%

Really not a good beer.

A solid amber pour, with a little head. Looked kind of intriguing.

However, the taste was just off. I don't know what I expected, but it was just farmhouse and funky, not really like it was made right. Kind of bitter and hoppy, but mostly just funky.

not my style.

2.03/5  rDev -41.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Appearance: Copper colored, with thick white head, with lots of lacing. Seems over carbonated. Large particles settle out on bottom of glass.Very cloudy, more like a wheat beer than a pale ale.

Smell: Slightly sour, no real hop aroma evident.

Taste: sour, not at all like a pale ale should be. No grain or malt flavor evident. Hop bittering is evident, but overpowered by the sourness.

Mouthfeel: too much carbonation, there is a burning feel that comes from the carbonic acid.

Overall: not a good example of a pale ale. Perhaps this beer was spoiled or someone mislabeled this beer? If not, I can't recommend this beer. I will have to try another sample from a different source to confirm this.

Edit: after submitting this review I realized that the consume by date on this beer is 22 months ago.
So much for that. I will need to obtain a fresher sample. This was given as a present by a friend, who was no doubt unaware of the use by date.

2.03/5  rDev -41.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle, best before November.

A- Golden and pretty clear. One finger soda pop head that fades quick and leaves no lacing.

S- Very slight citris and grains, not much going on.

T- Again, very slight hop presence, not enough for an American pale ale. Dominated by grainy malts, with the slightest vague bitterness in the finish.

M- Light bodied with soda pop like carbonation.

O- This is my second beer from their variety pack, and I must say, I'm pretty let down. There is nothing exciting about this beer, it may be better than macro, but that's about it. Can't recommend it.

2.05/5  rDev -40.6%

A little sour for a pale ale.

2.23/5  rDev -35.4%

A - Pours up amber with gold highlights. The head is off white and dissipates rapidly.

S - Piney hops dominate. A hint of sweet malt. Not particularly appetizing.

T - The carbonation tingles the tip of the tongue and a slightly sour bitterness finish on the back of the tongue.

M - Very good.

D - This particular batch? Not very. It's harsh and unappealing. I'm disappointed. I've had this before and never thought it was bad. I almost want to erase all this and pretend I never drank this beer.

2.23/5  rDev -35.4%

What you would expect from a pale ale. Nice mahagony caramel colored with a small white head with little lace yet good thick retention.

Pale ale all the way. Full of pale malts and aroma enticing hops that are laid back and ready for the taking. Than a bold whiff of piney, rustic, earth swallowing hop follows through the end. Everything is there just too laid back.

Malt is overly sweet and leaning towards caramel. Almost completely overpowers the forest induced hops, therefore no balance at all let alone complexity. Some stone fruits in the mid palate but nothing to destinguishable.

Mouthfeel is a little better but the cloying sweetness hurts it overall. It is full and rounded. Couldn't drink more than one of these.

2.25/5  rDev -34.8%

2.25/5  rDev -34.8%

2.27/5  rDev -34.2%

The Rio Blanco pale is not good. That wa my first impression of this beer when I first drank the first drink. THe color is an ugly yellow and he smell is that of bitterness, if that's possible. The taste isn't good and it leaves a bad taste in the mouth after ward. I guess it supposd to be made with Czech hops. It's difficult to finish but bareable. It has a harsh bite when it first hits your tounge. I would not recommend this beer. I personally can't wait to finish this one and then I'll chase it down wih a Tommyknocker. I'm out of this one.

2.46/5  rDev -28.7%

Appearance-Hazy light amber with a 2 inch beige head.

Smell-Grain and a tiny bit of citrus. Quite skunky as well. definitely unappealing.

Taste-The carbonation bubbles kind of overpower the taste until the finish. Some bitterness and pine, and fairly dry.

Mouthfeel-Light body, lots of carbonation.

Overall-This beer is reasonable and available in texas, but so is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and the same price. As long as Sierra Nevada is in bussiness, I won't purchase this beer again.

2.46/5  rDev -28.7%

Pours a hazy deep gold color from a 12oz bottle into an American pint glass with approx 1/2 finger of off white head.

Smell is somewhat hoppy, but subtle. It's hard to put my finger on what I'm smelling, but it is telling me this is not going to be my favorite beer.

Taste is better than the smell. Starting with sharp spicy notes which then turn bready and malty.

Fairly light on the palate with the flavors lingering for a while after each sip. This is a drinkable brew, but I'm just not wild about it myself. Your milage may vary.

2.48/5  rDev -28.1%

Pours a cloudy orange with a small white head that fades quickly.

Smells of sweet malt and some hop spice...noble hops for sure, but the aroma is minimal. Almost ketchup notes. Not a lot going on here.

Up front slight bitterness that goes into some malt, sweet character, bitter citrus character in the middle, and an almost astringent, clean finish.

Medium carbonation and thin body work fine for the style

There isn't a lot going on here. Some noble hop spice, slight malt sweetness, and a lot of astringency. Pile on the oxidized, cardboard note that I've found in almost all Real Ale beers...I cannot recommend this beer.

2.49/5  rDev -27.8%

If I drank this without knowing what it was, I'd say it was an American lager.
It looked decent, but the first whiff threw me off, kind of dirty, and the taste was about the same: old acidic fruit, some kind of evergreen other than pine, and a bit metallic. I would say grassy, but that element was more like a bitter weed than fresh cut grass. But really, it was just plain bland, hence the lager comment. Best thing I can say for this is that it had a pleasing level of carbonation.
What the hell, I'm still glad I tried it, thanks to JDV for the extra.

2.5/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Rio Blanco Pale Ale from Real Ale Brewing Company