Rio Blanco Pale Ale | Real Ale Brewing Company

Rio Blanco Pale AleRio Blanco Pale Ale

Real Ale Brewing Company
Texas, United States
realalebrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by kbub6f on 12-17-2001

2.5/5  rDev -26.7%

2.58/5  rDev -24.3%

from bottle into pilsner

A- hazy golden yellow with a white head that does not last long.

S- malty and some hops.

T- about the same as the smell. some hops, not too impressive imo.

M- decent mouthfeel with decent carbonation.

O- mostly was just malty with not enough hops or other spices/flavor imo. i really enjoyed this the first time i drank it, but after trying other hop ales i feel dissapointed.

2.59/5  rDev -24%

Have had this on draft before, but bought a 6 pack the other day which was less than desirable. The bottle was flat - a slight pop from uncapping but then nothing - no head, no lacing.
Perhaps the lack of carbonation affected the taste. (I tried to different bottles and then switched beers.) The hop flavors that I was expecting were not there - it was rather malty and a bit acidic. Not sure why, but I will submit another review from draft.

2.63/5  rDev -22.9%

This brew ranks way down the list of fine pale ales for me.

Smell is a bit off-putting, like someone tossed a few hops into a Mich Light, not promising. Maybe I don't like Saaz hops & just didn't know it? Taste is about the same, light, dry, easy to quaff, but taste is scraping the bare underbelly of OK.

Glad to have tried it. Strictly average.

2.65/5  rDev -22.3%

Another selection from my real ale variety pack, and I commit another sin by drinking this one straight from the bottle once again.

S: Hoppy, citric, but not a very strong smell- I had to nearly stick my entire nose down before I could get a hint as to what I was smelling.

T: The hop and citric notes are definitely present in the taste as well and it was a little too bitter and off balanced for a Pale Ale.

M: This one was a little harder going down, simply not enough carbonation.

2.65/5  rDev -22.3%

from the bottle. poured a cloudy golden with a big and I mean big white head had to wait for this one to go down and some floaties. aroma yeast sourness, lemon, grapefruit, and hints of sugar. flavor, weak, got some sour apple, lemon, grapefruits and hints of yeast and orange. this would be a good summer beer.

2.69/5  rDev -21.1%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle. Slightly hazy, with a huge head. Definitely overcarbonated.

Aroma is very nice, surprisingly fruity, almost like a Belgian Pale.

Taste is pretty basic, almost like a lager. Basic malt profile.

Mouthfeel is medium light.

Overall it's different but nice, low hop bitterness, very drinkable.

2.7/5  rDev -20.8%

Poured into a pint. Clear straw/copper. Small off-white head.

Nose is hops, grass and corn. Simple but not bad.

Taste is heavier on malts than expected. Slight metallic hops finish it off. Odd ethanol/terpentine on the finish too.

Average mouthfeel. Overall sub-par brew.

2.74/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured from a bottle into a sam adams perfect pint.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy amber with a finger of fluffy off white head. The head fades to a spotty layer on top of the pour.

Smell: Some bready malt with a mild sweetness. There is a very faint fruity hop smell as well.

Taste: A bit like the smell. There is more of a hop presence here, but still not enough. Bready malt and a very mild sweetness too. The finish is slightly bitter.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with strong, fluffy carbonation and a finish that's a bit dry.

Overall: This is a pretty boring beer. Not bad, but quite boring.

2.75/5  rDev -19.4%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with simple label art and branded pressure cap acquired at me local HEB Grocery as part of a Real Ale Brewing variety 6 pack; Real Ale is the only brewery I know of that does a variety SIX pack - usually they're 12 packs. Served into a Spaten stangenglas in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are average. Best by: 10/16/13.

Served cold - straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a one finger wide head of white colour. Subpar creaminess. Decent thickness. Okay lacing forms when you tilt the glass, but none sticks to the sides of the glass; this beer doesn't have "legs" as it were. Retention is average - about 2-3 minutes.

Body colour is a clear copper of average vibrance. No yeast particles are visible.

Looks pretty standard for a pale ale overall. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Sm: It's got a rather pleasant pale malt fragrance. Nicely grainy. Fresh. I do pick up some crisp saaz hop notes, which seem to suit the rest of the aroma quite well. Clean barley. A biteen fruity. It's a ripe aroma with a definite Czech flair. A pleasant aroma of mild to moderate strength.

T: I'm surprised this is unfiltered; it tastes quite filtered actually. Water quality seems to be abnormally good; uniquely soft spring water perhaps? I'm definitely getting the Saaz hops, and I imagine that's all they used. Just a crisp lightly herbal lightly floral and vaguely fruity hop character. Clean barley, cereals, grains, straw. A bit grassy. It ends up on a bit on the sweeter end. Perhaps a bit underhopped for the conventions of American Pale Ales, but really it's more of an English Pale in my mind. Its simplicity enables an easy balance, but it's unrewarding in terms of complexity and subtlety as a result.

No yeast character or alcohol comes through. There are no obvious off flavours.

Average depth, duration, and intensity of flavour. Okay amplitude.

Mf: Crisp and clean. Smooth and wet. It's a got a good restrained presence on the palate. Refreshing and very approachable. A biteen overcarbonated. A bit buttery - lending it a English feel. Suits the flavour profile decently, but doesn't come off custom-tailored to it.

Not oily, harsh, boozy, gushed, or hot.

Dr: A pedestrian pale ale. Sure, it's drinkable, but it brings little to the table. Boring and somewhat bland, but passable. I wouldn't get it again, nor would I recommend it to friends, but I can't see any true beer fanatic hating it. It's far from great, but it's by no means a bad beer. Pricing is okay for the quality.

C-

2.75/5  rDev -19.4%

looking at the bottle i'm realizing that i'm having this about 2 months late. i'm guessing it's not really changed THAT much, so here it goes...

this is a very pale ale. hops are present, but not very much at all. there's a toastiness from the malts that lend a hand, but not much. there's also a slight chemical taste that i don't really like too much. after a bit the hops taste sort of off. this bitter in the wrong way.

i wouldn't have this again.

2.76/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Somewhat hazy golden orange appearance with very little head.

S- Not really much of a scent detectable here. Smells very faintly of hops and spices.

T- Kind of a weird taste here. Not really very hoppy at all. Honestly this tastes more like a light lager than a pale ale.

M- Smooth beer, but not the mouthfeel you would expect from a pale ale.

D- Very smooth and very drinkable.

Overall sort of a weird pale ale. I wouldn't even really call this a pale ale. Very bland and not hoppy at all.

2.76/5  rDev -19.1%

Had a pint on cask at Ginger Man in Dallas.
Murky goldenrod color with a frothy 1/4" off-white head that settles to a thin film. Clings in sheets to the sides of the glass.
Well this is weird...a woody, nutty smell with some fresh baked pretzel and...Play Doh and fabric softener sheets? Maybe this has been in the cask too long? Admittedly I haven't had many cask beers.
More woodiness, like damp firewood or something, a taste like the papery skin from inside a walnut shell (oddly specific I know!), and more Play Doh. Some breadiness. A faint glimmer of citrusy hops in the middle.
Light bodied but soft, slightly creamy.
I'll finish this one ok but I don't need any more.
Yeah this was weird. The waitress (who seemed knowledgeable) said it smelled and tasted normal to her so I'm not inclined to think it was off. Wouldn't get it again, not on cask at least.

2.77/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

2.78/5  rDev -18.5%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck, white label with a drawing of what I assume is the Rio Blanco. Best before month notched on the label, drinking this just in time.

Appearance: Pours orangish red, slightest hint of haze. Small head fades, leaves just a bit of lacing.

Smell: Noble hops, bready malt, just a bit of DMS.

Taste: Bready malt flavors dominate, but the DMS flavor is unforunate.

Overall impression: Average beer, one that I wouldn't seek out again.

2.8/5  rDev -17.9%

2.82/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A: Very clear copper. No head at all even with aggressive pour.

S: Faint smell, hard for me to pick out anything with confidence. Maybe slight floral? After a short while I could not smell anything at all and I tried resetting my senses.

T: Takes a second for any flavor to come on, then a quick rush of mild saaz bitters with a slight linger. Hard to pick out much else, maybe a bit of bread from the malt.

M: Comes and goes fairly quick, doesnt stay long at all. More carbonation than the flat appearance suggests.

O: Very mediocre pale ale, but no offensive flavors redeems it somewhat. If that's what you're after you may be satisfied but I'm looking for a more memorable experience.

2.85/5  rDev -16.4%

Appearance: 12oz bottle with a best by month clearly marked. Pours a clear copper color with minimal white head, and no lacing.

Smell: Malts, and hops that combine to create an oily, almost peanut oil smell. This could be the smell of Czech Saaz hops, but I am not sure.

Taste: Lemon/ citrus, and malts. I cannot taste much more than that. I am missing the hops. The bottle advertises the Czech Saaz hops and I would like to taste them more, but I do not detect them, until the aftertaste, where they are minimal.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, with a slight carbonation. The beer leaves the mouth slightly dry. I really enjoy the mouth feel of this beer.

Drinkability: A drinkable beer, but this is not what I want from a pale ale. I cannot detect the hops as much as I would like, and I want to. this would be a good summer beer, but it will not become a standard in my fridge.

2.85/5  rDev -16.4%

Thanks to mhewes for this one
Bottle poured into a standard pint glass produced a thin white head that went to lace, on a slightly hazy light copper body.

Aromas of bread and a light hoppiness as well filled my nose

Flavors of the brew are nice mild malts and hops; mouthfeel is light and crisp as well

Easy to drink it was a chore not to kick it back and guzzle. I had better pales even from Texas at that .Not to much of a pale ale in my mind a very average brew

Rio Blanco Pale Ale from Real Ale Brewing Company