Brewhouse Brown Ale | Real Ale Brewing Company

Liked:
3.56/5
Alströms:

3.71/5  rDev +4.2%

Had this at B&J's Pizza off Staples in CC TX.
Poured into a standard chilled pint glass.

Poured a dark, yet translucent brown with a foamy head. The head retention was good and settled to form a strong lacing. It was served a little to cold for my taste so I let it warm up a bit. (I'm guessing it was served at a temp in the low-mid 40's)

The aroma was not very strong at first, but after letting it warm up a bit the malty goodness came through.

T: there was a molasses malt flavor up front followed by a pale hoppy finish. I liked the interplay between the hops and the malt. It tasted gritty as it warmed up, and I mean that in a good way. Overall the taste was fairly mellow

Good drinkability. It left a lingering pale aftertaste.

Overall I was satisfied with this beer and I think it's on the better end of average for the style. I'm not sure if I would purchase a 6-er. However, I would happily order it again at a bar.

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

The beer pours a fairly dark brown color with fairly decent head retention and lacing. The nose is pretty mute, but what there I get is pretty aattractive. Seems as if there is some cherry, light coffee and a hint of vanilla. the flavor profile replicates the nose pretty closely in this moderately sweet ale. Not really much more to say. Mouthfeel is medium bodied to light, with a fairly clean finish. Drinkability is OK, with the alcohol not the least bit noticeable.

I don't know... there's nothing wrong with this beer, but it strikes me as "cookie-cutter" brown ale. This isn't one of my favorite beer styles, and it literlly tastes like pretty much every other decent brown ale I've ever had. Nothing wrong with that I guess, and once upon a time I was a fan of Newcastle brown ale, but these days there are just so many other interesting options out there. Mehhhh...

3.6/5  rDev +1.1%

Thanks goes to exiled for this brew. Poured into my pint glass the beer is clear red brown with a solid two fingers of light beige head. No lace but a cap remains.

The aroma is mostly lightly toasted malts and a hint of hops. Roast nuts and a touch of coffee.

The flavor has a bit more bitter hop profile than the nose. The typical roast nuts and malts are present as well. A bit drying in the finish.

Medium to light body with light carbonation.

Overall a decent brown ale. Nothing exciting but drinkable.

3.3/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a mug.

A: Nice fat two finger head. Large bubbles that break rapidly but some head sticks to the mug. Looks like a mug of rootbeer. Dissipates quickly and some mild lacing left over. Really looks like rootbeer.

S: Grainy, some malt sweetness. A slight roasted note. Not too much more going on here.

T: Some light coffee notes, mild chocolate flavor. Slightly bitter after taste.

M: On the thinner side. Could use some heft really. Leaves a film in my mouth.

D: Drinks easy and is pretty good, just nothing spectacular. I'd live more roast and body but this is pretty good.

3.9/5  rDev +9.6%

Had a 12oz bottle at spiral diner in fort worth, poured into a pint glass.

The color was dark caramel brown, not much of a head, left a little bit of lacing.

Smells very sweet, like caramel malt, has hints of cocoa.

Taste was malty, a little chocolate, and a little roasty.

The beer was smooth, not too heavy and not overcarbonated.

Very good beer overall.

3.69/5  rDev +3.7%

pours a tepid translucent caramel brown hue with a thin one-finger head that seems to fade before my eyes. A good bit of suspended particulate gives it a bit of life. Lacing is minimal and only a thin ring of froth follows to the bottom.

aroma is pleasantly familiar and warming. toasty, bready, earthy and caramel notes. hints of sweetness - molasses and raisins.

Taste is surprisingly strong relative to the mellow bready aroma. earthy, caramel, whole-grain bread. a surprisingly nice bitterness finishes. hints of hops but just a nice pleasing earthy bitter to balance the caramel.

Mouthfeel is vibrant despite the appearance. ample carbonation carries the flavors nicely. a touch of astringency, and the bitterness gets a touch sharp at times, but all in all, pleasant.

Not outstanding, and neither my favorite brown nor my favorite beer from Real Ale, but not one I'd turn away. I could see really being in the mood for this one - strong flavors, decent moutfeel and a delicious aroma combine for an easily drinkable, nicely sessionable brew.

3.27/5  rDev -8.1%

Pours brown see-through, with a decent head that retains well.
Smells malty as hell, with tons of roasted malt smells and sweetness.
Tastes like lots of coffee malts, and is a bit overwhelming, maybe it is just the time of the year for light beers.
Mouthfeel is less carbonated than I would like, but still a decent brown.

3.6/5  rDev +1.1%

Good looking beer... poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a regular pint glass. It's a dark brown color with an inch or so of creamy off-white head.

There's a good nutty malt smell to it... a little note of toffee as well. Not bad at all.

The taste is very similar to the smell... a burnt malt flavor with some nuttiness in there as well. A little lighter in body than I expected and slightly bitter on the end.

It's good but the flavor on the tongue leaves a little to be desired.

3.4/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A - It is always a bit difficult to give a fair review of the appearance when I drink out of a bottle. But I did notice nice retention throughout the time I was drinking the beer. The color did seem to be a pretty brown color as well.

S - It isn't a very strong smell, but it is slightly sweet.

T - I would say nuts with a hint of sweet is the best way to describe the taste. It is sort of bitter, with a nice sweet touch at the end.

M/D - About average in this category. It has a slightly low amount of carbonation, but it has a good body to it.

Bottom Line: This is an above average beer. I had this at a catered event, and it is definitely better than the rest of the selection they had there. It isn't a must have type of beer, but it you will enjoy it if you ever get a chance to have one.

~Cheers

3.97/5  rDev +11.5%

On-tap at the Flying Saucer in San Antonio, TX.

Pours a slightly hazy dark brown color with a half-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving light lacing.

Smells mainly of toasted malts but equal parts caramel and roasted malts also make an appearance. As the beer warms it sweetens a bit, allowing dark toffee flavors to waft out.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Toasted malt flavors kick things off before skewing more toward roasted flavors than lighter and sweeter caramel malt flavors. Very little hop presence throughout the sip but small amounts of leafy flavors sneak in midway through. The sip sweetens afterward before carrying through to a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is also good. I finished my glass without a problem and could have another.

Overall I thought this was a solid brown - nothing spectacular but a nice effort. Worth a shot.

Got this from Jeffers5000.

Pours a cloudy brown with a very thin head that dissapated to a small ring. No lacing.

Aroma is that of a caramel brown ale. No other way to really describe it.

Taste is pretty good. One of the better browns I have had but browns are fairly plain so I usually don't drink browns. This one is pretty good though.

Mouthfeel is nice and smooth. Nice carb.

Overall a tasty brown if browns are your thing. Oi have nothing against them I just would rather drink others beers with more flavor.

3.61/5  rDev +1.4%

smells pretty husky. mostly a two row bomb backed with a presence of lightly roasted malts.

pours brown, that is pretty transparent when held to the light. one finger of even white head which has alright retention and leaves no lacing.

taste: much better than the smell. nice presence of slightly roasted malts and a smooth finish.

mouthfeel: nothing to appreciate, but nothing bad.

drinkability: highly sessionable with a relatively full flavor. try it.

3.18/5  rDev -10.7%

Been trying to branch out and try some new beers and different beer styles. I enjoy a newcastle brown on occasion and figured this might be similar.

Appearance: Poured from Bottle in to Sam Adams glass - Typical brown color. A little darker than Newcastle. Brown tinge to the 1.5 inch head.

Smell: Molasses-y and coffee

Taste: Caramel/Molasses flavor with some coffee undertones. Not too bad. Similar to other browns I've had. Doesn't exactly blow me out of the water, but enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: For the color of the beer it's almost expected for the mouthfeel to be a little heavier. It's pretty light, but not too light for the style.

Drinkability: Pretty smooth. A little kick towards the end and the after taste isn't exactly something I desire, but it's not bad. I'd choose other beers over this.

While I'd choose other beers over this, it's pretty good overall. Nothing too spectacular or special. I'd probably reach for a newcastle over this, but they are pretty close. Perhaps I'll give it another shot as my tastes and palette expands.

4.13/5  rDev +16%

A - Deep brown with amber highlights, a nice foamy tan head

S - malt, roasted grains, alcohol spiciness, just a hint of cereal & DMS

T/M - Very balanced, slight tea-like tannins, coffee like bitterness in the end, very smooth, light carbonation, medium finish, medium body

3.61/5  rDev +1.4%

My first experience with the Real Ale brand as part of a sampler. I look forward to tasting the rest of this small town product..

A - Dark, clean brown with barely a head, maybe 1/2 in if poured roughly..
S - Pretty minimal impact. Brown sugar with a dry dough aroma
T - Initially dark and coffee-esque, but gives way to deep bitter ale, which is great for a 'wrapping up a meal' beer IMO..
F - tingly burst of carbonation at first taste, amusing/surprising, but gets a tad old, especially if you have more than one..
D - Serves its purpose for a deep ale, fairly filling..

3.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Brewhouse Brown Ale pours a deep amber with a thick, frothy cap.

smells of sweet, nutty malts, some light hop notes are present.

fruits like pear and apple meet the palate, followed by
sweet caramel and chocolate malt. overall tastes nutty, buttery, and strong roasted coffee. hops are mellow and add slight bitterness.

some chocolate notes come out in aroma and taste once the glass warms.

mouthfeel near full, ending slightly dry, with a lingering fruitiness.

+ i've almost forgotten how good this beer is, since i haven't had it in such a long time. i'll have to slide this into rotation again.

4.9/5  rDev +37.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

The rating above is from my recent tasting.

Review of August 22, 2013: Most of my high rated beer reviews are of beers that clobber the drinker with flavor. Beers like Aventinus, Chimay Blue, etc. But this beer is rated extremely high because it is balanced and near perfect in its drinkability.

Today for kicks I decided to drink it alongside another classic Brown Ale, Brooklyn's Brown. Both beers are extremely good (Brooklyn is much hoppier but less nutty and toasty) but RA takes it to the next level by keeping everything perfectly balanced. Dry yet malty and rich. Bitter yet a hint of caramel. Toasty yet fresh. It is a dance that is so enjoyable to experience. I think what I like best about this beer is the nuances. The slight hint of almonds. The tiny bit of spices. The molasses and maybe honey. The tiniest bit of dark chocolate. It's all suspended in beautiful harmony.

Of course I don't believe in objectivity when it comes to writing beer reviews. This beer was the one I used to drink at the end of the night back in 2001 after a long night of pedicab driving in Austin. I remember long talks about Wendell Berry and agrarianism with a middle-aged pedicab driver (originally from Louisiana as I recall) while drinking this beer. I remember how good it tasted then and how much opening up a bottle reminds me again of those days from long ago.

Review of February 23, 2010:

AP: 4.5 AR 4.5 F 5.0 MF 4.5 OA 4.5

Amazed I haven't reviewed this beer before. I've been drinking this beer since I think 2001 (maybe earlier). One of my all time favorites.

One tasting note - Freshness is essential on this beer. I've had it both fresh and not-fresh (I bring them back from Texas to Oklahoma and tend to save them too long). Tonight I'm drinking one that is very fresh and I'm just blown away.

Ok to the beer at hand...

Dark brown clear brew with a short head. Malty sweet toasty aroma. The flavor is complex. Lots of toasty-ness. Remarkably dry. Lots of coffee notes. Maybe a tinge of dark chocolate. Maybe a tiny bit of brandy. Hops are not dominant but they are there, mostly in some of the bitterness.

Lingering aftertaste. Sweet on the sides of my mouth bitter on the tip of my tongue.

Mouthfeel is outstanding. Fluffier and fuller than I remembered.

Definitely a sessionable beer.

Here's to many more years of drinking this special beer!

3.78/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours a deep, red-ish amber-brown in color, topped with a pale tan head that rather quickly diminished, leaving a light foamy layer covering the surface of the beer. Minimal lacing.

Beverage is very clear, although there's a light trace of cakey yeast, and *looks* to be well-carbonated (carbonation is appropriate).

Nose is rather yeasty, and notes of biscuit malt prevail.

Bright and nutty/oily, and yeasty on the initial sip, a broader biscuit malt character holds up the rest of the drink, followed by a dry finish. Semi-sweet, with notes of cola. The biscuit malt really dominates here, and while the bitterness is minimal it lingers long into the drink -- impressive! Alcohol is also notable in the aromatic portion of this one, but only just.

Mouthfeel is good, and drinkability is truly exceptional (Note: I wanted to rate it higher -as it really impressed me- but didn't want my rate of deviation to go through the roof!)

Worth tracking down by the case-load.

3.73/5  rDev +4.8%

Best By: 4.19.10 Just a day short.
1 finger not too creamy head not the greatest retention and partial transparancy, light can be seen through easily and dark ruby redd brown in color. Maybe like a very dark iced tea. Head died to a thin film covering the entire top.
Light roasted malt, and slightly nutty.

Not too impressive with the amount of flavor. It seems somewhat lacking. It has good flavor, just not enough. Lightly sweet chocolate and light roasted maltiness. Small coffee bean finish. The flavor develops better with a little warming. Perhaps it was slightly too cold at the start.

Small dry finish. Light bodied but feels more full as you swallow. Nice mouthfeel for the most part. Light carbonation.

This beer is decent but not exactly my type. Worth a try.

3.77/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours with a dark brown color, minimal head, and a semi-transparent body. Has a mainly malty smell with a smidge of chocolate. Taste was very clean. Although it was a darker ale and hard dark qualities it had a nice, crisp finish. Wasn't overpowering or too bitter, it was a nice balance compared to other English brown ales I've had

Poured into a tumbler it produces a 4 mm head that leaves a little lacing. The appearance is brown and somewhat cloudy. The aroma is of malt and some subdued earthy hops. The taste is mainly of malt, slight sweetness, and mild to moderate bitterness. The feel is light bodied with a clean finish.

I'm not a big fan of English brown ale, but this is an especially tasty and drinkable example of the style.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a cola brown with one finger of head. Visible carbonation, and decent clarity. Smells of tootsie rolls and nuts, fairly sweet.

Tastes of roasted malt with pecans. Somewhat sweet, with a tiny nip of hops on the back end. Overall, lighter-bodied with a watery mouthfeel.

An average brown ale. A bit thin in texture and I was hoping for more in the nose and flavor both.

3.92/5  rDev +10.1%

Brewhouse Brown is described as an American Brown on its lable, but I think that the beer is more appropriate as an English Brown because of its modest hop character and nutty flavors. The beer starts with a very dark brown color and nearly opaque. Head formaiton, retention, and lacing are all timid. From nose to finish, this beer has a firm grip on the chocolate malts, nutty flavors, and malted milk flavors. Hints of coffee, toffee, and toast also make their way into the mix, albeit in secondary roles. Crisp and clean in texture, the beer's body hinges near grainy and thin at times. Ultimately Brewhouse Brown is largely error free but is also a bit lackluster as well. Obvious control of brewing proceedures is impecable but the recipe could use a boost.

Thanks Exiled.

3.64/5  rDev +2.2%

I noticed this beer is about a month and a half past it's "Best if used by" date, so I'm assuming this won't taste as good as it could.

anyway here we go.

A: Light brown with a small head that leaves quickly leaving little lacing.

S: Brown sugar first and foremost, followed by a slightly floral hoppiness, some biscuit. Decent aroma.

T: Honestly the first thing I think is Fireman's #4, which is the face of Real Ale brewing. It tastes as if you'd started off with a batch of Fireman's 4 instead of water and then tried to make a brown ale out of it. Without the spicyness that is.

M: Good mouthfeel, not overly carbonated, leaves a slight residue in the mouth.

D: Light and easy to drink, I just wish I could have had a fresh batch to accurately rate this.

As is it's an ok beer, I'm sure it's much better when it's not expired :-/

3.2/5  rDev -10.1%

This is pretty much your standard Brown Ale.

A: It's brown and has little head. Nothing left on the glass.

S: Strong roasted malts mixed with a good dose of hops to add a nice sharp bitterness to the nose.

T: Definitely has a roasted malts flavor and even a slight coffee taste. Gives it a little bitterness to this as well.

M: medium bodied and a little oily.

D: It's a decent english brown that can be enjoyed for a few servings with friends.

Brewhouse Brown Ale from Real Ale Brewing Company