Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Devil's Backbone | Real Ale Brewing Company

realalebrewing.com

Style: Tripel

Added by Pegasus on 05-18-2005

1.08/5  rDev -71.9%

This just straight up reminds me Budweiser with a heavier kick smh not a preferred choice

2.17/5  rDev -43.6%

2.18/5  rDev -43.4%

Had this while traveling in Texas. Was excited to try a local tripel to see how they interpreted this style. I was a bit disappointed.

Interesting that it was served in a pint glass, but I can't blame the beer or brewer for that. Thin finger of foamy head that faded quickly. Slightly hazy golden/straw in color. Not much lacing to speak of.

Aroma was sweet and of banana & yeast.

Flavor was definitely too sweet. This was more like a cross between Hefe and Tripel leaning much more towards a Hefe. The banana, clove & yeast notes were different than most triples. The hop bitterness was too low and again did not fit the style. Not quite cloying sweet, but just wrong here.

Not really crisp with a bitter finish and the mouth feel had me focus on the sweetness.

Flat out didn't enjoy this.

2.25/5  rDev -41.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Disappointed by this one. Big fan of this brewery.

2.36/5  rDev -38.7%

My first Tripel, just not a fan. Couldn't finish it. Supposedly Tripel's have a "sweet aftertaste," but I considered this the worst part of the beer. Would not buy again. I'm sure there are others that enjoy this taste, just not for me.

2.4/5  rDev -37.7%

2.5/5  rDev -35.1%

2.56/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Clearly identifies as a tripel on the label, so I'm reviewing as such. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with fun label art and a branded silver pry-off pressure cap acquired as part of a mixed six-pack at Whole Foods HQ here in Austin and served into an Independence Brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average; I've yet to be impressed by the brewery, but this seems to be one of their less mainstream offerings so I'm optimistic.

Brewed with Czech Saaz hops, candi sugar, and Belgian yeast. Best before: 01/26/14.

Served cold - straight from me fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a one finger wide head of grey-white colour. Somewhat thin. Not much creaminess or frothiness. No real lacing as the head recedes. Head retention is above average - about 3 minutes.

Body colour is a clear yellow-copper of average vibrance. Good clarity. Translucent. No yeast particles are visible.

Sm: Honey, nectary hop character, Belgian pale malts, Belgian candi sugar, grains & cereals, floral hop character, crystal malts, Saaz, banana fruit esters, and an apple cider touch. The herbal Saaz bitterness clashes with the malty sweetness. I'm not getting much in terms of yeast. There does seem to be an alcohol presence here, albeit a slight one. Not a great aroma for a tripel, but I'm optimistic. An inoffensive aroma of average to mild strength.

T: Malty sweetness in the first act and beginning of the first half; it clashes with the herbal Saaz and crystal malts in the late second half. Bursts of banana fruit esters up front alongside some clove. Candi sugar throughout doesn't fully conceal the hop bitterness - which shouldn't even be present to begin with; this is definitely overhopped. I do get some spiciness from the yeast; it's very cleanly fermented, and the yeast is probably the best aspect of the beer. Pilsner malts and a good deal of Belgian pale/blonde malts fill out the body. Honey. I do find some alcohol presence, unfortunately. A bit cidery, with touches of pear and apple.

Overall, the build is mediocre for a tripel, and the balance is problematic. Not gestalt. Qutie boring for a tripel. A bit bland as well. Depth of flavour is rather shallow for the style. Average flavour duration and intensity.

There are no off-flavours, unless you count the presence of alcohol - which isn't egregious.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Unrefreshing. Lacks a full firm body. Too thick at some points and too thin at others. Weak, with "empty" points throughout the flavour profile. Overcarbonated. Inappropriate for the style. It doesn't suit the flavour profile all that well. Subpar execution.

Dr: Real Ale disappoints again, this time with a tripel. I wouldn't buy it again, and Real Ale's other beers are racing to the bottom of my "to-try" list. I definitely wouldn't want another one, and it's not the most drinkable beer either, what with its obvious alcohol presence. If you want a good tripel, look elsewhere. This one doesn't deliver.

Low C-

2.75/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.75/5  rDev -28.6%

2.76/5  rDev -28.3%

Thanks Marc. Poured a bright clear gold with a huge, pillowy white head. Sweet, Belgian yeast, some tropical fruits, but dominated by a kind of charred character that clashes badly with the yeasty elements. Quite hot, almost vodka-like on the finish. Maybe a spoiled bottle, couldn't really finish this.

2.89/5  rDev -24.9%

Honestly guys, I really didn't like this one bit. I am generally more of a lager and stout kind of girl and I wanted to try this local brew because of the good reviews but this was just way too much for me. I hated it

Look: Beautiful and golden in color with a white head

Smell: Super floral and fruity

Taste: VERY heavy and sweet, overwhelming

Feel: Lighter than expected and not heavily carbonated.

Overall: I really hated it, but I was also reaching outside my comfort zone. It is SUPER sweet and very malty. I almost felt like I was drinking it in a concentrated form. I definitely will not be buying it again but won't keep me away from tripels in the future. Honestly, the only positive thing I found from this beer was the alcohol content

2.9/5  rDev -24.7%

2.95/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

got it at uncle billys on tap

pours a clear goldish yellow with a thin amount of head (by the time i received it) with heavy lacing

smell is very malty and sweet but not as powerful as more commercial belgian tripels

taste is mild and not as sweet as i expected (a good thing) doesnt linger in your mouth. my problem with most belgian tripels is them being too sweet, this one falls somewhere in between not enough sweetness and ideal sweetness. overall a good belgian tripel but i would not recommend it for the hardcore sweet fans.

it goes down fairly smooth and as mentioned it doesnt linger in your mouth for too long.

at 4.75 a pint it was a tad expensive for me, but in the end it was definately worth shelling out the extra cash for the beer. gave me that droopy eyed feeling after a very short amount of time

2.96/5  rDev -23.1%