Phoenixx Double ESB | Real Ale Brewing Company

Phoenixx Double ESBPhoenixx Double ESB

Real Ale Brewing Company
Texas, United States
realalebrewing.com

Style: Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB)

"Double ESB", Rotating/Seasonal

Added by TPoling on 12-31-2005

4.13/5  rDev +11%

My first ESB so I have no frame of reference...

A: Cloudy golden brown - Coppery. Creamy slightly off-white head which lingered till about halfway through.

S: Roasted Malts and Nutty. Hops are a bit more than subtle in the nose.

T: Sweet malts and caramel at the front along with a bit of roasted bitterness. This beer is balanced really well with some tasty grassy hops. Overall it tips more in favor of the hops, obviously. The hop bitterness is left to tingle the tongue on the finish. Alcohol is well hidden.

M: Immediately strikes me as having a buttery smoothness. Slightly thin in the mouth but satisfying. Could use a bit more carbonation.

D: I could happily down a couple.

Overall I loved this beer and I think Real Ale is putting out some solid brews here in TX.

4.13/5  rDev +11%

Haven't had an ESB for over 3 years. Last one was from Saranac in a holiday mixed pack. 1.79 for a single, why not try this.

Appearance-Very deep copper with a 1 inch tan head. Head quickly dissipates leaving some decent lacing.

Smell-Sweet malty aroma. Also get some earthy tones. Kind of reminds me of an IPA aroma only a few days past its freshness.

Taste-Immediately feels like a Brown Ale off the bat with some sweet caramel and malt. Once the beer creeps to the back of the tongue you get some IPA characteristics nice bitter hop kick, very earthy. A nice bitterness lingers, very nice.

Mouthfeel-Very smooth beer. Nice carbonation, really pleasant. Pretty thin, but very drinkable.

Overall-This beer suprised me. Considering I haven't had an ESB in a long time and was able to really enjoy this one I applaud this beer and Real Ale. Not going to compare this to my "A" IPAs/IIPAs, but for a reasonable ESB It's great. Nothing from Real Ale has really wowed me, including this beer, but I will absolultely drink a few more of these while they are still around.

4.12/5  rDev +10.8%

A - Dark honey/amber, not much head, ring left with spotty lace. Cascading bubbles along rim.

S - Deep malty goodness. I like it.

T - Malt is described wonderfully. Sharp bittering, which I did not get in the nose, appears here.

M - Medium bodied, good balance, carb, coating.

D - Like it. I would session this without tiring.

4.12/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours an orange copper color with a creamy white head that fades into a sticky lace. Nose is dominated by fresh grassy hops along with a bit of a sweet nuttiness. Taste begins with some toasted malts, but the hops are the key players. However, the hops present themselves in a very earthy manner—more so than in just about any beer I can remember trying. This beer definitely improves as it warms—in fact, near room-temperature is ideal.

4.1/5  rDev +10.2%

Was thrilled to see this one come in as an extra from my man Miguel with the latest shipment from Texas. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 02/04/2010.

The pour was very nice, dark, dark amber, nearly an orange color to be honest with a nice foaming white head that took its place on the top of the glass, and rightfully so. Thick cloudiness obscured most of the look of it, but it had a nice and very full appearance. Aroma was a nice mix of balance between rich piney hops and a rich, caramel filled malt backbone. Seemed the more it warmed the sweeter it happened to get, which I was not going to complain about at all. First sip was so full and smooth, rich medium to full carbonation and heavy hit of caramel malts and earthy hop notes took over. Delicious. Rich and smooth with creamy texture that only released its grip after the last sips had gone and a nice smooth, and delicate dryness took over. Very session able even at nearly seven percent.

Overall it reminded me a lot of an aged big hoppy monster. Just that super sweet, and dripping caramel flavor malt that balances it so well. Would love to have this one again any day.

4.08/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured from bottle into SA perfect pint glass.

A: Rich amber coloring with nice off head and some heavy lacing. Quite good looking.

S: Quite hoppy with the nice toffee malt tones backing it up.

T & M: Nicely balanced, mouthfeel just a little thin. Bitter throughout with a nice somewhat fruity finish.

D: A very well done brew and quite drinkable for an ESB. Kudos to Real on this one.

4.08/5  rDev +9.7%

Hd this in Fort Worth Flying Saucer which i heard was the orignal pub to start.

They pulled this out of the back after I requested if they has something special not on the menu.

This was the bartenders favorite beer. Very simlare to Left Hands Chainsaw. This is a winter seasonal so it's nearly 8 months old. Copperish red in color and lots of hop flavors still lingered. nice and balanced. Very nice beer.

4.08/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured at 47°F from a 12oz bottle (best before date 07Jun16) into a pint glass. Consumed on 29Dec15).
LOOK: Pours with two fingers worth of thick, off-white foam that dissipates into a half fingers worth after 2 minutes. A large amount of thick lacing is left behind from the head dissipation. Copper in color. Medium and small sized rising bubbles are present in moderate quantities. Lacing is large in quantity and both thick and very thick in various areas.
SMELL: Strong aromas of toffee are backed my mild aromas of plums, figs, black cherries, buttered toast, caramel, floral hops, earthy hops, and hints of bitter hops.
TASTE: Strong toffee and floral hop flavors enter first and are immediately followed by mild flavors of buttered toast and subtle flavors of earthy hops. Mild flavors of caramel, plums, figs, and black cherries enter next as all floral hop and butter (just the butter) flavors grow slightly stronger. Finally, mild bitter hop flavors make their debut as all previous flavors push on.
FEEL: Light-bodied and highly carbonated (this was going so well until now). Goes down somewhat rough due to the carbonation. Finishes with a moderate dryness.
NOTE: This blew me away. I like this brewery, but I was honestly expecting a slightly above average beer, but this shattered my expectations. Everything about this beer was on point for the style. There was an excellent balance between hops and malt and even the hop bitterness didn't bother me much. I had no idea that something can be so sweet, yet so tantalizingly hoppy. A huge kudos to Real Ale.

4.07/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

There comes a time when one walks into their favorite store expecting to purchase another one of their go-to brews and, instead, finds a jewel. Today, folks, was my day.

A: Copper-brown body makes way for a very thin, yet ever-present head. Lace on this beer is above average considering it's overall ABV

S: Slight hint of phenols coupled with a unique sweet and sour sort of scent. Very different from a run of the mill ESB.

T: A bit thin. I need more up front flavor to pair with what I am smelling. Though it does taste like it came straight from a cask, I need a bit more body with an ESB.

MF/D: Certainly a "session" brew, Phoenixx comes up a bit short on body for me.

4.03/5  rDev +8.3%

I've been waiting to try this beer, so I was excited to finally find it at the Central Market in Ft Worth. Pours with a dark amberish color, almost brown. The head was fizzy, very light, and it dissipated quickly.. faster than I expected anyways. It smells nice, a good blend of the hops and malts. Nothing too fancy. At first I wasn't a big fan. I had a few the other night and didn't appreciate the taste, but after giving it a second chance and writing this review it has grown on me. I've always loved supporting Real Ale and I've enjoyed both of their seasonal beers so far. I can't wait to see what is next.

4.03/5  rDev +8.3%

Ligth amber color, with off white 2 finger head, that left nice lacing.

Aroma is really neutral, can't pick up anything, if i try and think about it really hard I would say I smell just a hint of caramel malt.

Taste is biscuity, a tad sweet, and finishes just slightly bitter, that doesn't hang around longer than I can type this sentence.

Mouthfeel is a nice medium.

Overall this is a good beer, not sure I would consider it a Double ESB, nothing seemed amped up to me to warrant that label, but it was a good refreshing drink.

4.02/5  rDev +8.1%

I poured a 12 oz bottle into a glass mug...

The beer is a reddish, brown color with a thin, soapy white head. It smells of roasted caramel malt with some grassy and citrusy hop aromas. The taste is bitter and sweet with flavors of toffee, lemon and grapefruit. Phoenixx is medium bodied with the right amount of carbonation and a pleasant, lingering finish. Real Ale did good with this one, it's very balanced between the malt and hops, I could drink this all the time.

Pours a copperish color with a white head. The aroma is hops with some toffee and biscuit malt. The flavor is earthy hops along with caramel malt and toffee. Medium mouthfeel and carbonation. Another good seasonal beer from Real Ale that was recently released in bottles for the first time.

Best by 04.11.10:

Pours deep copper with a thin tan head that leaves thin lines of lacing.

The smell is of toast, slight caramel and toffee with a floral, earthy, slightly citric hop aroma.

The taste is of cramel/toffee - firm maltiness that is balanced by floral, slightly citric/tropical fruity hops that lead to a bittersweet finish. Juicy English hops and a stong malt presence combine nicely.

It is medium-to-full bodied. At first carbonation is slightly higher than I expected, but it soon relaxes.

An ESB that isn't short on the "bitter" part, while keeping a complex malty character. Nicely balanced. Has an "English" character, with an American craft beer touch. Strong, yet smooth - with a hefty tone, yet alcohol well-integrated/
hidden.
Thanks to Mora2000 for this "extra special" brew!

Phoenixx Double ESB from Real Ale Brewing Company